List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets have young depth, not old depth is the exact path to take.

I want a 22-23 year old. And yes that would include Dev Robertson over Graham for example. It would also include Jack Carroll. It would include Riley Garcia, Alex Davies, Angus Sheldrick,

Lets pretend 27 year olds are ideal. Id also prefer Will Brodie. Someone whose more proven and less injury prone too.
Jack Graham is more versatile than a WIll Brodie. Graham can play forward, in the mids, he can tag. So can play him around our kids with our kids getting the roles they need.

WIll Brodie is a center square mid, who can't play elsewhere. He'd be in the way of us giving kids experience there.

All the 22-23 year olds you listed don't come free like Graham.

Last edited:
Petch is far better than Graham, Graham is a whipping boy in the bottom of the ladder team right now.

Petch is not Graham's shoelace. Graham is a 2 time premiership player. Just to get in those teams you need to be twice as good as Petch. Petch still after 100 years has not been able to cement his place in the side at a club with a terrible list.

In what universe is Petch better than Graham?

Jack Graham is more versatile than a WIll Brodie. Graham can play forwad, in the mids, he can tag. So can play him around our kids with our kids getting the roles they need.

WIll Brodie is a center square mid, who can't play elsewhere. He'd be in the way of us giving kids expereence there.

All the 22-23 year olds you listed don't come free like Graham.
Fair point re: Graham vs Brodie. Id rather Campbell Chesser be tried as a tagger then Graham in that example

I cant see a want or need for any HFF. The type of flankers we do require are ones who are good disposers which wouldnt fit Graham

I wouldnt really want Brodie either to be fair. Id just target him ahead of Graham cos his WAFL form stacks up as well as his ability to stay on the park

If a player doesn’t raise our ceiling from worst side in history to genuine contender, then they’re not worth pursuing.

Nobody ask if we’re the worst side in history because our floor is so low, and whether raising the floor is equally as valuable in a list build as raising the ceiling.

Much better to check birth certificates and cry.

For those saying we don't need a Shai Bolton you all must be joking.
Every club needs an explosive Mid/forward who has x factor galore. That we may not be able to get him is one thing but make no mistake we need Shai Bolton as much as any type of player.

If a player doesn’t raise our ceiling from worst side in history to genuine contender, then they’re not worth pursuing.

Nobody ask if we’re the worst side in history because our floor is so low, and whether raising the floor is equally as valuable in a list build as raising the ceiling.

Much better to check birth certificates and cry.
Does he raise our ceiling? Is he the best option

Is he better then Riley Garcia, Alex Davies, Dev Robertson? Or is he just coming cos Matt Clarke and him like going fishing together? Heck, is he better then Dom Sheed?

We should be prioritising youth. Not bringing in 26 year old plodders to increase current depth at the cost of long term development.
I'm neither here nor there on Graham, but if a 26-year-old plodder is keeping youth out, maybe the youth isn't good enough. The point of depth is to make youth earn their spot in the team. Whether that's Graham, Dev or Garcia, we just need someone AFL capable until our youth is AFL capable.

A good top 30 but a few out of place IMO. I believe the AFL are finalising the DVI/NGA etc changes today so stay tuned.
I think Ben Waterworth has done a good job with some of his articles on this draft. Seems to have a better handle on this group than many others.

Of course Cal will narrow his rankings down over the coming months as he gathers more information from clubs.

Last edited:
I think any melts over Graham/Baker or anything Clarke is doing are a little premature, we haven't paid anything yet, only signed a FA who is an upgrade on the bottom end of our 22.
Is Graham an upgrade ?

May aswell just play sheed or re-sign gaff

Sure Graham tackles more but sheed is a way better kick .

They are both slow and injury prone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Graham an upgrade ?

May aswell just play sheed or re-sign gaff

Sure Graham tackles more but sheed is a way better kick .

They are both slow and injury prone
This seems to be the new go-to criticism for anyone coming off a recent injury.

Graham has played 10 games this year, before that it was 20, 20, 22, 16, 16, 18. That doesn't scream injury prone to me.

For those saying we don't need a Shai Bolton you all must be joking.
Every club needs an explosive Mid/forward who has x factor galore. That we may not be able to get him is one thing but make no mistake we need Shai Bolton as much as any type of player.

I mean sure having Shai Bolton would be great, but giving up a top 3 pick for him makes absolutely zero sense for us.

So no, we don’t need to trade for Shai Bolton, it’d be the dumbest thing we could do.

I'm neither here nor there on Graham, but if a 26-year-old plodder is keeping youth out, maybe the youth isn't good enough. The point of depth is to make youth earn their spot in the team. Whether that's Graham, Dev or Garcia, we just need someone AFL capable until our youth is AFL capable.
If a 26 year old isnt coming to be best 22 week in week out then he shouldnt be coming in is a honest train of thought here.

Is he better then Riley Garcia, Alex Davies, Dev Robertson? Or is he just coming cos Matt Clarke and him like going fishing together? Heck, is he better then Dom Sheed?
Does he raise our floor? Given our 22-26 year olds are almost certainly the league worst, and there’s 2.5 players in that group (depending on your view on Harry Edwards) that are reliable starters.

They’re not all going to be the sexy home run picks. It’s fine to improve on your worst players as well as trying to add new best players to your list.

Yes, he is far better than anything those trio have shown at AFL level. Addtionally he is free. Neither of them are.

Yes, he is better than Dom Sheed. He has a defenisve side Sheed has never had.

I mean sure having Shai Bolton would be great, but giving up a top 3 pick for him makes absolutely zero sense for us.

So no, we don’t need to trade for Shai Bolton, it’d be the dumbest thing we could do.

Yes that is correct, but we would dearly love to have to Shai Bolton and he would be very much required.

He is not a positional need. We have so many other urgent issues on our list.

Current players I would rather see get games as inside mid ahead of him are Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey, 2024 first pick, Hewett. Plus youth like Hall, Trew. And we still have sheed on the list for next year.
Not all inside mids play the same role.

We have no inside mids that do the role Graham does as a defensive mid that is your 4th or 5th mid in the side.

To be fair to Jack Graham, only really this year he's been mainly injured.

2021 - 22 games
2022 - 20 games
2023 - 20 games
2024 - 10 games

I think it's weird they're talking about bringing in Graham when we don't even have a coach for next year. What if he doesn't fit into the next coach's vision?
I dont think it matters too much, he can slot in and play a role as a mid or half forward, he works hard, and he can tackle.
If he doesn't get regular games in the main side he will be a great addition to the overall depth of the squad

He is not a positional need. We have so many other urgent issues on our list.

Current players I would rather see get games as inside mid ahead of him are Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey, 2024 first pick, Hewett. Plus youth like Hall, Trew. And we still have sheed on the list for next year.

How do you know he isnt a positional need?

What position do you think he will play for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back