List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems we're willing to let a 29yo Barrass go if the price is right. Good move all round if someone willing to offer 4 years with his back issues.
Reckon we'll come to the party and regig Watermans contract long term. He's a great age at 25, can play deep forward, high hf and pinch on the wing with his running power. Great versatility.
Pyke would know the family well and work through a fair deal imo...
Peos playing the game.

And were not pushing Oscar out the door people so ease up. A lot of teams go years unable to draft or trade for 2 top line KPFs to their detriment. The fact we've got OA, Snake and a few young talented kids coming through in JW and Archer is a massive plus!

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The old age adjustment to strengthen your argument lol.

Current ages
Barrass 28
Waterman 26

TB will be 29 by the start of next season. Jake will be 27 in the early-mid rounds of next season.

Agree with your points otherwise. As mentioned by others, could be smart to hold off on Jake’s contract into next year and assess how our young forwards are developing and how desperate another club might be for a key forward.

I recall plenty on this forum had him on the scrap heap last year so if there was a significant offer of draft picks and/or younger players (eg Rivers, Tholstrup etc from the Dees) then it could make sense. If Warner holds off his contract next year then it may be a lever to pull.

Jack Graham
Hes a hff flanker type. Bit of a plodder but is an ok role player.

Hes somewhat similar to Cripps I guess but doesnt kick goals and cant run as much.

Hes done a few tag jobs in the last few weeks
We cant have everything, hes a free agent who would be on relatively small money. He fills a need for us, in age and role. Hes a midfielder, not a forward.

If he comes onto the list to replace Culley or LEdwards thats a win
Wot? Someone asked a genuine question, if you have no idea what the answer is then why respond? Did you google ‘Jack Graham’ in between comments and realise you were thinking of a different player? Bizarre.

Graham is a small midfielder who averages 16 disposals a game. He is not quick and does not kick goals. He is a decent tackler. He is 27 is Feb next year. He will cost nothing in draft picks but I would rather shuffle a late pick for Dev Rob etc who will be no worse and has scope to improve. Graham taking up a spot in our 22 is very unappealing when we will bring in more young mids to develop.

I was coming around to Baker but his stats (which I know don’t paint the whole picture) are disappointing also. He gets thrown around positionally a bit but predominantly is a midfielder/forward who averages 20 disposals a game. Doesn’t get enough footy as a mid and doesn’t kick enough goals as a forward. Talked up as a tough nut but doesn’t tackle as much as I thought he would and at 172cm is hardly going to be an enforcer when he’s 20cm shorter and 15-20kg lighter than some of our other mids. He is 27 in Jan next year.

If roles were reversed and Baker was a FA then go ahead but realistically both moves are not very exciting.

I don’t know how you could have watched Graham this season and thought he’s anything but a plodder.

Agree he isnt quick, but he's been injured nearly all year. Not sure his form this year is a true reflection

Barely missed a game the previous 3 years so hopefully we get that version

FOS has only proved he's a risk this year. However he is no more of a risk then Smillie.

I'd back him in as his ceiling is high also you have to cross fingers he's like Wardlaw. But the only argument against not taking FOS is Jagga (assume Sid who is standout number 1 is off table). Even then I'd still hesitantly back FOS over Jagga but it's a risk.

But Smillie is a bigger risk then FOS.

Let's rank talent by less risky
1. Draper (set as a stone mid no risk)
2. Jagga (proven form in VFL although his body but still)
3. Tobie (no risk at all only risk is if our intention is him mid in which case he doesn't have runs on the board as mid)
4. FOS (a risk as he hasn't proven himself as accumulator in his draft year)
5. Smillie (did well in coats but in national champs against better talent he struggled has not proven himself VFL. Risk)

Lalor (hasn't proven himself as a mid beside from couple of coats talent game. No VFL expirence. No set mid position)

So you see everyone carries risk except draper and Jagga (arguable)

I guess with Smillie he didn't dominate the champs, but he was playing a lot of different positions. When in the midfield you could see the talent!

For the academy he was very good earlier in the year, so I see him as less of a risk. He does have runs on the board this year where FOS doesn't, I don't disagree on the ceiling for FOS though. I'm just worried he hasn't done anything this year, I've seen many dominant juniors come into their final year and get overtaken by others as they plateau.

Agree with the rest of your list above though, I'd add Murphy Reid to your list above. I think he's a safe bet!

Jack Graham

Wot? Someone asked a genuine question, if you have no idea what the answer is then why respond? Did you google ‘Jack Graham’ in between comments and realise you were thinking of a different player? Bizarre.
My comparison to Cripps was meaning a hard working endurance player who plays mostly off half forward and has tackling as a main feature of their game. Then I clarified he's not actually a forward, but still the role is somewhat similar for 60% of the game.

I'm neither here nor there on Graham, but if a 26-year-old plodder is keeping youth out, maybe the youth isn't good enough. The point of depth is to make youth earn their spot in the team. Whether that's Graham, Dev or Garcia, we just need someone AFL capable until our youth is AFL capable.
Disagree. A 19 year old that is being kept out by a C grade 26 year old doesn’t mean they suck. Just creates situations like this year where we play guys like Jamaine jones over dewar or witherden over Harvey.

The club has identified that the players with trade currency is Barrass, Allen, Yeo and Waterman. It knows that it cannot get rid of most of it's core senior players for draft picks otherwise the club will be filled with talented kids who are NOT ready for AFL and will struggle for a lot longer and the kids will not optimally develop without the core senior players there around them. See Norf in 2016-2020.

However they can afford to let one of them go which in this case is Barrass who has good trade value which will help with the rebuild while retaining the other core players. They made it clear to Barrass that the best thing for him is to go to another club who's contending and who needs another KPD as their last missing puzzle. The club must've told him now so he can prepare his family for an interstate move in the coming months.

Not only that, if the club doesn't win anymore matches then we could apply for a priority pick which will give us even more picks in addition to trading Barrass. There's also a good chance that we'll get pick 1 or 2 especially that we'll likely lose to Norf at Marvel, Richmond and Norf still to play against each other and Carlton and Geelong will destroy our percentage. And yep I do not see us winning against Gold Coast.

Right now at the 2024 lore's draft picks, the club doesn't have the best hand but once Barrass goes and the club gets its priority picks approved then it will improve more. This year and next year is make or break in nailing the draft before Tassie comes in and compromises the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. A 19 year old that is being kept out by a C grade 26 year old doesn’t mean they suck. Just creates situations like this year where we play guys like Jamaine jones over dewar or witherden over Harvey.
A 19 year old playing WAFL isn't a bad thing. Not all of them should be playing AFL level

Not all inside mids play the same role.

We have no inside mids that do the role Graham does as a defensive mid that is your 4th or 5th mid in the side.
Why on earth would we prioritise a midfield spot to play graham as a defensive mid when we have so much young inside midfield talent to play alongside Kelly and yeo.

Your opinion makes sense if we are a challenging team.

If you look at the way hawthorn have progressed their list from last year to this year with their Ins at the trade table I feel as though we could follow a similar path.

They were a bottom 4 rebuilding club last year, who would have struggled to convince any top line player to come to their club. Instead they topped up with De'Ambrosio, Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston (whom all came at a very low cost) - as well as some kids. Hawks fans may have looked at their recruits and thought - none are stars, list cloggers at other clubs.

Instead those 4 have helped move the club into the next part of the ladder. They realistically finish between 6-10 this year.

All of a sudden, because they are a powerful club with a strong history and shown that they have a good future they are a chance to bring in Barrass, Battle and Perryman who you would think would then shift them into potentially top 4 calculation in 2025.

If we compare that to how we could go about rebuilding our list - at this stage there is no reason for quality WA players to want to come to West Coast over Freo. Bolton, Warner etc.

If we can draft well this year and then bring in Graham, English, Baker etc, without using much draft capital, we would hopefully transition from bottom 2, to the 10-14 range.

All of a sudden, players looking to return to WA - might be more inclined to choose us over Freo.

Love the way the Hawks have gone about it under Mitchell. Realistically, we aren't going to turn this around as quickly as they have, but these middle of the road players like Graham, who bring a wealth of experience and success to a young group, may help to start shifting that needle in a positive direction.

For those saying we don't need a Shai Bolton you all must be joking.
Every club needs an explosive Mid/forward who has x factor galore. That we may not be able to get him is one thing but make no mistake we need Shai Bolton as much as any type of player.
We don't need a Shai Bolton. We already have Ryan, Hewett, Brockman, Dewar, etc. Bolton is a good player but he's not as good as he should be. He's an icing on the cake player.

We're still making the cake.

Why on earth would we prioritise a midfield spot to play graham as a defensive mid when we have so much young inside midfield talent to play alongside Kelly and yeo.

Your opinion makes sense if we are a challenging team.
Because you have to have a somewhat balanced midfield. All our mids want to be on the move winning a clearance. Most of the good teams have at least 1 guy who is there to play defensive.

Rowbottom, Dunkley, Drew, atkins, Hewett, Nash, etc.

Those teams without have a bunch of more balanced mids to make up the difference.

Our main 3 mids plus Hewett are all more attacking focused.

Balance, please remember that word

It is when we delist them without trying them even when they are in great wafl form. Which we always do and will do this year.

Which youngster is going to be delisted without being tried this year, after great WAFL form?

Because you have to have a somewhat balanced midfield. All our mids want to be on the move winning a clearance. Most of the good teams have at least 1 guy who is there to play defensive.

Rowbottom, Dunkley, Drew, atkins, Hewett, Nash, etc.

Those teams without have a bunch of more balanced mids to make up the difference.

Our main 3 mids plus Hewett are all more attacking focused.

Balance, please remember that word
Balance is important if we are challenging premiership team.

This isn’t that complicated. Play the best young midfielders alongside out guns. Literally make yeo our defensive mid and be done with it if it matters that much. Just play ginbey in the role ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back