List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the way hawthorn have progressed their list from last year to this year with their Ins at the trade table I feel as though we could follow a similar path.

They were a bottom 4 rebuilding club last year, who would have struggled to convince any top line player to come to their club. Instead they topped up with De'Ambrosio, Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston (whom all came at a very low cost) - as well as some kids. Hawks fans may have looked at their recruits and thought - none are stars, list cloggers at other clubs.

Instead those 4 have helped move the club into the next part of the ladder. They realistically finish between 6-10 this year.

All of a sudden, because they are a powerful club with a strong history and shown that they have a good future they are a chance to bring in Barrass, Battle and Perryman who you would think would then shift them into potentially top 4 calculation in 2025.

If we compare that to how we could go about rebuilding our list - at this stage there is no reason for quality WA players to want to come to West Coast over Freo. Bolton, Warner etc.

If we can draft well this year and then bring in Graham, English, Baker etc, without using much draft capital, we would hopefully transition from bottom 2, to the 10-14 range.

All of a sudden, players looking to return to WA - might be more inclined to choose us over Freo.

Love the way the Hawks have gone about it under Mitchell. Realistically, we aren't going to turn this around as quickly as they have, but these middle of the road players like Graham, who bring a wealth of experience and success to a young group, may help to start shifting that needle in a positive direction.
All of that was on the back of building the engine room, which is certainly the same path we are walking.

Trew is the pretty obvious one that comes to mind.

Baker should have gotten a game at some stage.

Both gonna be delisted.

Trew’s named tonight, think it’s his fifth game of the year and his fourth in a row?

Balance is important if we are challenging premiership team.

This isn’t that complicated. Play the best young midfielders alongside out guns. Literally make yeo our defensive mid and be done with it if it matters that much. Just play ginbey in the role ffs.
We need to be competitive to improve. Having a balanced squad that can be consistent is important.

I'd rather move Kelly out to half forward to let Graham play in the midfield a little bit. Reid and Hewett will do rotations anyway

We don't need a Shai Bolton. We already have Ryan, Hewett, Brockman, Dewar, etc. Bolton is a good player but he's not as good as he should be. He's an icing on the cake player.

We're still making the cake.

He is a very good player, if any of the players you mention get half as good as him we will have some good players.

Ryan won’t get a first round pick

We need to be rutheless and speed up the rebuild by getting some top line picks. Getting picks in the 25-35 range aren’t going to help
Incorrect. Just look who's on our list roughly from that range. Kelly,darling,Ryan yeo. Probably more I can't be bothered looking into.
This is a deep draft too. Plenty of talls tipoed to go around that range. Urqhart and Davis might be available around then

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

McGovern isn't going to play forever. In all the let's get rid of Barrass noise it seems no ones noticed that Gov is already the oldest player on our list.
Barring injury (and yes there's generally always an injury) gov is still our best player and has got a couple of years left at least. Is Harry willing to wait if both gov and barrass are here?

I believe the Levi bid more likely comes after pick 4 or 5, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm hoping whatever the new rule changes are, they continue to allow teams to carry a deficit in to the following season.

Unless something comes out of the blue, I doubt we get any/many points from trading players.

Obviously our current first round pick is up for sale, and I'm looking at Richmonds stack of late second and third round picks. Especially if they load up on earlier picks if they trade out a couple of players.

I imagine our future second round pick, and possibly later future picks, are available for trade. I believe we'll want to protect our future first for an academy kid next year.

So prioritise matching Levi, take a second round deficit in to 2025 on matching Marshall.
Good luck on the bid being after pick 4 or 5 for Levi. I suggest Mathew Clarke at pick 2 should be calling his name out. This is not to be a smartar$e and playing games. Twomey and Fox footy have Levi as top prospect and I highly rate him. I would be delighted to have Levi joining Harley in the midfield at West Coast if we could take him with pick 2.

Don Pyke is toughening up the trenches and he will likely endorse an early bid. Remember, one way of getting better is to weaken your opposition. I truly think Norf have learnt the lesson for not bidding on clearly the best player in the draft in Daicos to stoke the ego of Horny Frank. Likewise with Darcy. It is not as if either player did not make sense for Norf in their rebuild.

With SOS at St Blunders, he will likely have pick 4 and based on his track record, Levi will not slip past him. He likes to keep clubs accountable and he loves to keep the phone lines open as long as possible for possible trades when he is on the clock.

The difference between pick 2 and pick 5 is just over 500 points which is like a mid R2 pick Matching at pick 2 for Levi and pick 25 for Marshall, the Lions are going to need 2,770 points while you currently only hold 1,388. This is a shortfall of 1,382 or pick 7. Assuming your R1 gets a premium of say 25%, that still leaves you over 1,000 points short.

That all said, Levi and Marshall would be 2 brilliant pick ups for a club tipped to be in the GF.

Settle petal

Graham is an unrestricted free agent so we don’t need to trade away any picks

And if we do pick him up as a FA then Richmond will receive compensation depending on what we pay him which is unknown at this stage

However, it would be reasonably safe to assume that we pay him something similar to what we paid Hunt and Flynn as Free Agents. Melbourne received a R3 pick for Hunt (Band 5) and GWS an end of R2 pick for Flynn (Band 4)

Meaning Richmond likely get band 4 at best and possibly band 5, which if they finish last will essentially be the same result
Keys - I think what some posters are missing on here are 2 intangibles

1) Graham (like Baker) comes from a team that did pretty well for a few years a little while back. So he knows what it takes to climb and mountain and back it up
2) the above suggests a professional team with little difference between their best and worst terms that can't be applied to WC over the last few years.

So if those 2 boys can bring those attributes it (along with a change in coaching personel) may change the apathy and "woe is me" attitude that has been apparent for a little while.

And if it ruffles a few feathers of those who seem to 'pick and choose when to put in or not' then all the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham is more of a mid than a forward though, so doesnt kick goals but does have more midfield ability.

Except when he's kicking three in a Grand Final. ;)

Petch is not Graham's shoelace. Graham is a 2 time premiership player. Just to get in those teams you need to be twice as good as Petch. Petch still after 100 years has not been able to cement his place in the side at a club with a terrible list.

In what universe is Petch better than Graham?
Untrue... we had Venables in our premiership team

Poster on the hawks board and another on the saints board saying Battle has re-signed with St Kilda. If this is the case it would be a great result for us as there won’t be another pick before a potential Barrass 1R pick from the Hawks and it will also inflate his trade price.

intangibles

Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

We don't need a Shai Bolton. We already have Ryan, Hewett, Brockman, Dewar, etc. Bolton is a good player but he's not as good as he should be. He's an icing on the cake player.

We're still making the cake.

Which of those players is any comparison whatsoever to Shai Bolton? Richmond certainly have no cake to ice this year and he has better stats than all of those guys combined.

1722577967722.png

At 25 he is in the absolute prime of his career and has all of the tools to tear games apart with his speed, skills, pressure and goal kicking. He is also healthy. Incredibly far fetched at this point, but imagine having to prepare to match up against Harley Reid and Shai Bolton amongst others. Good luck.

Bolton is the type of player that doesn't come available very often and it would be absolute negligence to not have a crack at bringing him on board. Balance of needs vs the ability to sign a WA player who is far and away best available. Unfortunately it sounds like Freo are the likely suitors but if West Coast are going to the lengths of phoning Nathan Buckley for a chat about coaching, you'd imagine there would be a line to Bolton's manager asking about his services too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back