List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the way hawthorn have progressed their list from last year to this year with their Ins at the trade table I feel as though we could follow a similar path.

They were a bottom 4 rebuilding club last year, who would have struggled to convince any top line player to come to their club. Instead they topped up with De'Ambrosio, Chol, Ginnivan and Gunston (whom all came at a very low cost) - as well as some kids. Hawks fans may have looked at their recruits and thought - none are stars, list cloggers at other clubs.

Instead those 4 have helped move the club into the next part of the ladder. They realistically finish between 6-10 this year.

All of a sudden, because they are a powerful club with a strong history and shown that they have a good future they are a chance to bring in Barrass, Battle and Perryman who you would think would then shift them into potentially top 4 calculation in 2025.

If we compare that to how we could go about rebuilding our list - at this stage there is no reason for quality WA players to want to come to West Coast over Freo. Bolton, Warner etc.

If we can draft well this year and then bring in Graham, English, Baker etc, without using much draft capital, we would hopefully transition from bottom 2, to the 10-14 range.

All of a sudden, players looking to return to WA - might be more inclined to choose us over Freo.

Love the way the Hawks have gone about it under Mitchell. Realistically, we aren't going to turn this around as quickly as they have, but these middle of the road players like Graham, who bring a wealth of experience and success to a young group, may help to start shifting that needle in a positive direction.
The guys you mentioned collectively cost less than what Baker alone will cost us. Hawks were also probably 1-2 drafts ahead of us when they made those moves and had already loaded up on mids (Ward, Mackenzie, Macdonald, Worpel, Day etc). They also went moneyball on their rucks with Meek/Reeves which has helped them have cash to go after Barrass/Battle/Smith.

Baker/Graham/English will all be 27.

What I like about the Hawks strategy is that at the time of recruiting those guys (except Gunston with previous ties to the club) were mostly young fringe players with upside and like you said cost little.

Massimo- 20
Ginnivan- 20
Chol- 26

That’s a similar spread of recruitment I would like to see. 1 or maximum 2 guys around 26 (English/Baker) and then the larger focus being on some fringe 20-24 age bracket guys like
Buss- 20
Dev- 23
Erasmus- 20
Garcia- 23
Davies- 23
Warner- 23 (obviously not fringe but good age)

That way they still form part of a young core that can be around for a decent push at success but have been in the AFL system for a couple of years and are further developed compared to just bringing in a ton of draftees.

Bolton doesn't want to play for a struggling side IMO. I don't think the timing of the request is coincidental (despite the reasons given).

Shame, him and Reid would be worth going to the footy alone. Chuck in snake's beautiful flowing locks and we've got the recipe for a wet dream right there.

I suspect Cripps might be the Sheed/Darling of next year, struggling to keep his spot. Long will be the new Cripps, and Graham gets to do what we had LEdwards/Sheed doing across half forward.

The point of difference is he is a solely defensive player. Ginbey looks like he will be a backman for the near future, chesser doesn't do that role it doesnt suit him, Hall should focus on winning the ball and getting it to Reid/Yeo rather than worrying about a man.

If we relate it to Ports midfield, I'm picturing Graham as Willem Drew, Hall as Wines, and Reid/Yeo/whoever getting it forward. Something like that
Cripps and Darling leading the WAFL team to finals

Which of those players is any comparison whatsoever to Shai Bolton? Richmond certainly have no cake to ice this year and he has better stats than all of those guys combined.

View attachment 2066209

At 25 he is in the absolute prime of his career and has all of the tools to tear games apart with his speed, skills, pressure and goal kicking. He is also healthy. Incredibly far fetched at this point, but imagine having to prepare to match up against Harley Reid and Shai Bolton amongst others. Good luck.

Bolton is the type of player that doesn't come available very often and it would be absolute negligence to not have a crack at bringing him on board. Balance of needs vs the ability to sign a WA player who is far and away best available. Unfortunately it sounds like Freo are the likely suitors but if West Coast are going to the lengths of phoning Nathan Buckley for a chat about coaching, you'd imagine there would be a line to Bolton's manager asking about his services too.
I'm not saying he isn't a good player. He would be an upgrade on all of the players I listed. But at what cost? A trade for Shai Bolton would be Tim Kelly territory. That is a brilliant trade for the Dockers but a terrible trade for us. We can get better value for our assets elsewhere.

Unfortunately we are Freo of the past now. We are no longer the club to go to. We are in a real hole and it's going to take years to get back.
Freo are the club in WA with all the good stuff to look forward to, whether they cash in on it it is another thing but we are miles away.
We need to do what we need to do. We must get English if we can, he is a priority as our rucks are poor. We must add some depth to our midfield as not only does it help us be more competitive it also helps us keep Harley for a few extra years. This is why we have to look if we can get a Bolton if its possible.
There is lots to consider and much to be done, real test for the club this period will be.
My smug freo mates told me this in 2014 and again in 2017

I'm not saying he isn't a good player. He would be an upgrade on all of the players I listed. But at what cost? A trade for Shai Bolton would be Tim Kelly territory. That is a brilliant trade for the Dockers but a terrible trade for us. We can get better value for our assets elsewhere.
Spot on. He is icing on the cake and in our side, he would really struggle to be at his top level for another 2 seasons.

Freo should be offering the Pies and their own R1 picks for him.

A forward line of Jackson, Amiss, the Big Cahuna, Bolton, and a couple of solders would be up their as the best in the AFL. Add to that their current midfield unit. It pains me to say but the Violent Crumbles are in a bloody good list position and would be better served using them for the NOW.

There are no easy or quick fixes for us. It is also why I do not want us to be chasing Warner next year. We have at least 2 more years of going hard at the draft before we can fantasise a trade like this one.

Spot on. He is icing on the cake and in our side, he would really struggle to be at his top level for another 2 seasons.

Freo should be offering the Pies and their own R1 picks for him.

A forward line of Jackson, Amiss, the Big Cahuna, Bolton, and a couple of solders would be up their as the best in the AFL. Add to that their current midfield unit. It pains me to say but the Violent Crumbles are in a bloody good list position and would be better served using them for the NOW.

There are no easy or quick fixes for us. It is also why I do not want us to be chasing Warner next year. We have at least 2 more years of going hard at the draft before we can fantasise a trade like this one.
Agreed, Bolton is definitely not for us but I can see a nice little 3 way trade that nets us freo’s picks and gets Bolton to the dockers.

We benefit in a small way by accessing Champion (or less stress as he is probably a 30+ draft range and may be after 40 anyway).

No surprise the biggest winners are GC, Bris, Ess…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We could also be a winner by them being a winner.

Could bundle up and move up if we wish with TB trade later pick and our 2nd or F2 and know we can match Champion later.

Aaah such melancholy! We are not years away.
WC have always liked recruiting big men.
We have A Reid,Barnett,Livingston,HEd ,OA,Waterman,
Even signing a decent ruckman alone would put us around the eight next year.
The conjecture around Baker would surely be linked to getting tradable priority picks.
He would bring grit,experience and professionalism to a team that will rise far quicker than most people on BF seem to expect.
Our top pick must be used on a defensive,workhorse mid.
If we get that and Hewett back on the park look out.
It’s the big boy in the middle that we lack.Flynn looks a plodder and a bit soft.
Posters have talked about the Dorkers backup rucks. Are either of them ( Reidy,Knobel??) any good and are they contracted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately we are Freo of the past now. We are no longer the club to go to. We are in a real hole and it's going to take years to get back.
Freo are the club in WA with all the good stuff to look forward to, whether they cash in on it it is another thing but we are miles away.
We need to do what we need to do. We must get English if we can, he is a priority as our rucks are poor. We must add some depth to our midfield as not only does it help us be more competitive it also helps us keep Harley for a few extra years. This is why we have to look if we can get a Bolton if its possible.
There is lots to consider and much to be done, real test for the club this period will be.
I feel like we are Carlton of the past when they salary cap cheated and lost draft picks as well as finishing bottom . The horror run of draft duds and misses with Ainsworth , Brander , Venables ,the high currency for Kelly our draft stocks have been shocking . At least when freo lose victorians they get draft picks and have a very very good list .
We are way back at the infancy of a long rebuild . The new recruiting boss cannot be any worse than we have had .

The guys you mentioned collectively cost less than what Baker alone will cost us. Hawks were also probably 1-2 drafts ahead of us when they made those moves and had already loaded up on mids (Ward, Mackenzie, Macdonald, Worpel, Day etc). They also went moneyball on their rucks with Meek/Reeves which has helped them have cash to go after Barrass/Battle/Smith.

Baker/Graham/English will all be 27.

What I like about the Hawks strategy is that at the time of recruiting those guys (except Gunston with previous ties to the club) were mostly young fringe players with upside and like you said cost little.

Massimo- 20
Ginnivan- 20
Chol- 26

That’s a similar spread of recruitment I would like to see. 1 or maximum 2 guys around 26 (English/Baker) and then the larger focus being on some fringe 20-24 age bracket guys like
Buss- 20
Dev- 23
Erasmus- 20
Garcia- 23
Davies- 23
Warner- 23 (obviously not fringe but good age)

That way they still form part of a young core that can be around for a decent push at success but have been in the AFL system for a couple of years and are further developed compared to just bringing in a ton of draftees.
Amon as a free agent too recently at a little bit older age. They did try getting free agents and trade for players in a position of need who are in the 26yo range but were unsuccessful in McKay and Ratugolea. Now in the Battle and TB hunt. Also had a few blokes want out that they wanted to keep Kosi, Brockman and Ryan.

Agreed these younger recruits should be the focus and I have no doubt are but would take both English and Baker (+Graham if the new coach signs it off)

Really can improve the bottom of the best 23 straight away without giving up many assets and building for the future. Be aggressive and does seem Clarke is

Even signing a decent ruckman alone would put us around the eight next year.

Driving The Simpsons GIF

Agreed, Bolton is definitely not for us but I can see a nice little 3 way trade that nets us freo’s picks and gets Bolton to the dockers.
My worry with us providing the temptation of pick 2, we will try to bring in Baker to the trade table. As much as I want the Freo first R2 picks, I don't want us to be paying R1 trade value to land Baker. Mind you if we give up pick 2 and a Future R3 for 6, Baker and an early R2, it would not be a disaster.

My worry with us providing the temptation of pick 2, we will try to bring in Baker to the trade table. As much as I want the Freo first R2 picks, I don't want us to be paying R1 trade value to land Baker. Mind you if we give up pick 2 and a Future R3 for 6, Baker and an early R2, it would not be a disaster.
Bolton and Baker jointly announcing they are a package deal to Freo would be the best result possible for literally everyone.

Yeah I was thinking that, 3 clubs involved that plays put as:

Pick 2 or 3 to Tigers
Bolton to Freo
Multiple firsts to WCE
Tigers will need to consolidate a lot of their picks so it would possibly appeal to them. Will just depend on their draft strategy and targets but on face value it’s a good fit for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back