List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Tigers will look to combine Baker with Bolton and pick 1 for Reid.

Give it a couple of days and this will be in the media.

Some of our draft choices since 2021 and my assessment if they passed or failed. It goes from Success, Likely Success, Lean Success, No call yet, Leans Failure, Likely Failure, Failure. Regarding the rookie drafts, expect more failures than successes.

Note: Lean Success/Failure that isn't set in stone yet and they can improve to be a successful player or a failed player should things go wrong.
Note: Likely Success/Failure is almost set in stone, will need a miracle or at least become serviceable for it to change or look like being best 22 only for injuries or off field issues ruining the player.

My call as of 2nd of August 2024. Future assessments will be changed.

2021 MSD.

• Collins: Failure (delisted)
  • West: Failure (delisted)

2021 National Draft.
  • Chesser: No call yet (A certain poster would certainly have him as Failure).
  • Hough: Success (Brad Sheppard MK-II).
  • Bazzo: No call yet.
  • J.Williams: Likely Success.
  • Clark: Failure (delisted).

2022 Rookie Draft.
- Club took no one.

2022 MSD.
- Culley: Likely Failure.

2022 National Draft.
  • Ginbey: Likely Success
  • Hewett: Leans Success (assuming he stays injury free).
  • Barnett: Likely Failure (unless he turns into a KPD).
  • Burgiel: Likely Failure (Injuries have stopped him from debuting and will probably get traded or delisted).
  • Long: Likely Success (If he stays fit).

2023 Rookie Draft.
  • Isiah Winder: Failure (Re drafted as a rookie and delisted).
  • Zane Trew: Leans Success (Re drafted as a rookie. If he maintains fitness. Worth keeping imo).

2023 Cat B draft.
  • Dewar: Leans Success.
  • Baker Likely Failure.

2023 MSD.
-
Maric: Likely Success.

2023 National Draft.
  • Harley Reid: Success.
  • Archer Reid: Leans Success.
  • Hall: No call yet.
  • Johnston: No call yet.

2024 Rookie Draft.
-
Rawlinson: No call yet.

2024 Cat B draft.
-
Livingstone: No call yet.

2024 MSD.
-
Hutchinson: Leans Success.

I know posters here will disagree with me but it's my opinion though. Some could also correct me if I'm wrong or don't agree with my assessment.

Im predicticting we get invloved in this years mega trade.

Parties will be Richmond, Freo, Suns and Eagles. Lessor extent Hawks.

We have three Tigers players interested in a move West and the ex Richmond recruiting manager working at the Eagles.

The early news on Graham, a close friend of Baker, is interesting and wont be surprised both are in Eagles colours next season.

Daniel Rioli to the Suns isnt going away either.

Tigers could hold at some point picks 1, 7, 11, 12, 16, 20, 21 and 22(Band 3 compo) after trading out Bolton and Rioli., Graham as a UFA.

I feel we will end up with pick 2 and 23 as our decent picks.

Gold Coast will want to trade out pick 6 into next years draft due to a Lombard bid.

We also have the Barrass trade to work out.

This trade period is going to be very, very active for us.

Last edited:

We continually pay over market value especially of late

We are not very good at this

I agree we overpay. But it hasn't been an especially of late situation.
It seems to me that going further back in time we targeted higher end players than we have recently (except Kelly), but still overpaid.

Tyson Stenglein. In 2004 we paid Adelaide picks 12 and 28 for a good solid 25yo guy who would play with us for 5 years. A decent player but not a first and second rounder good. Pick 12 on its own would have been generous.
Daniel Chick. In 2002 we paid Hawthorn pick 8 for, again, a good player, but not a top 10 draft player. Especially at age of 27 and with a known history of 'social issues'. I know he fitted in with the party boy attitude at the club at the time, but it really was the last thing we needed. A second rounder was all he was worth.
You mentioned Wellingham in your OP. I'd put him as a bad trade but as it was over a decade ago would consider it older trade history rather than 'of late'. Was never worth more than a second rounder.

I know Stenglein and Chick helped us in our 2005/6 campaigns, but we should have been able to still get them for a lower price than we did.

We have always been soft **ck deal makers, especially for come home players.

We need to be competitive to improve. Having a balanced squad that can be consistent is important.

I'd rather move Kelly out to half forward to let Graham play in the midfield a little bit. Reid and Hewett will do rotations anyway
We need to play young players to improve.

Yes let’s move Kelly to a position which he will be much worse in and replace him with a c grade player. You should have replaced Simpson.

I agree we overpay. But it hasn't been an especially of late situation.
It seems to me that going further back in time we targeted higher end players than we have recently (except Kelly), but still overpaid.

Tyson Stenglein. In 2004 we paid Adelaide picks 12 and 28 for a good solid 25yo guy who would play with us for 5 years. A decent player but not a first and second rounder good. Pick 12 on its own would have been generous.
Daniel Chick. In 2002 we paid Hawthorn pick 8 for, again, a good player, but not a top 10 draft player. Especially at age of 27 and with a known history of 'social issues'. I know he fitted in with the party boy attitude at the club at the time, but it really was the last thing we needed. A second rounder was all he was worth.
You mentioned Wellingham in your OP. I'd put him as a bad trade but as it was over a decade ago would consider it older trade history rather than 'of late'. Was never worth more than a second rounder.

I know Stenglein and Chick helped us in our 2005/6 campaigns, but we should have been able to still get them for a lower price than we did.

We have always been soft **ck deal makers, especially for come home players.
You undervalue Chick at the time of the trade. He was borderline edging into elite. You are talking edging into the top 10, maybe top 5 of playing mids.

At least that's how I remember it.

Not true.
Kelly wasn't one of Geelongs main 3 mids when he was over there. He hasn't looked that good since he came to us
Maybe if you focus on how he played 5 years ago. Things have changed.

By far his biggest weakness currently is his ball delivery into the 50. He doesn’t have the skills to play HFF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe if you focus on how he played 5 years ago. Things have changed.

By far his biggest weakness currently is his ball delivery into the 50. He doesn’t have the skills to play HFF.
Something gotta give. We can't just run Kelly Yeo and Reid as our 3 on ballers for the next 3 years until Yeo and Kelly retire. Yeo is far better than Kelly in the guts.

We have to fit in Hewett, Hall, any mids we draft this year, Graham for stints, etc

Something gotta give. We can't just run Kelly Yeo and Reid as our 3 on ballers for the next 3 years until Yeo and Kelly retire. Yeo is far better than Kelly in the guts.

We have to fit in Hewett, Hall, any mids we draft this year, Graham for stints, etc
So you are essentially agreeing with me that we have no need for graham. Gotcha

Im predicticting we get invloved in this years mega trade.
You Do Yes GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

You are delusional if you think Baker would've even been in the same ballpark as Witherden this year.

You underrate the 25 year old spuds seemingly
Its not about performing at the same level. We are in a rebuild and have been on the bottom of the ladder for three seasons playing the same shit players. Blood young players when they are in decent wafl form.

Baker is unlikely to make it. But we already know guys like witherden, jones and Rotham aren’t A grade material. Jones and Rotham are barely D grade. There is zero harm in giving a young guy a run of games. If they are complete shit then simple decision to delist.

You undervalue Chick at the time of the trade. He was borderline edging into elite. You are talking edging into the top 10, maybe top 5 of playing mids.

At least that's how I remember it.
In 2002 he got 3 Brownlow votes and finished below more than 40 midfielders in that year. Hardly elite.
Previously, in 2001 he finished =25th, behind about 20 other mids. I think that was his high point.

We obviously remember differently, but I still maintain he was good, never elite and we should have got him for a lot less. Especially as the Hawks couldn't offload his other issues quick enough.

Yeah I was thinking that, 3 clubs involved that plays put as:

Pick 2 or 3 to Tigers
Bolton to Freo
Multiple firsts to WCE
A good result if we are into Baker might be
3 & F2 for 7,12 & Baker. Hopefully that kind of scenario looks okay to Freo and the Tigers.

Ryley Sanders VFL stats today
39 disposals
7 clearances
3 goals

Macrae had 43d 10clr and 6t in the same game so he might not even be next in. Plus the Dogs just beat the Swans so they probably aren’t changing their line up.

Sanders is constantly overlooked by Bevo and has shown frustration.

If TB is worth approximately 2 first rounders…

Sanders was 2023 pick 6
Busslinger was 2022 pick 13

What steak knives would need to go with TB to net us both young pups?

WB could then keep their Smith pick and English combo to bring in some draftees this year.

Sanders would be a great inside/outside accumulator to complement our bulls.

Ryley Sanders VFL stats today
39 disposals
7 clearances
3 goals

Macrae had 43d 10clr and 6t in the same game so he might not even be next in. Plus the Dogs just beat the Swans so they probably aren’t changing their line up.

Sanders is constantly overlooked by Bevo and has shown frustration.

If TB is worth approximately 2 first rounders…

Sanders was 2023 pick 6
Busslinger was 2022 pick 13

What steak knives would need to go with TB to net us both young pups?

WB could then keep their Smith pick and English combo to bring in some draftees this year.

Sanders would be a great inside/outside accumulator to complement our bulls.
I'd be all for it myself however there's no way Dogs let Sanders go. The one thing they're desperate for is young mids to replace their aging ones.

I'd be all for it myself however there's no way Dogs let Sanders go. The one thing they're desperate for is young mids to replace their aging ones.
It seems like Sanders has butted heads there a bit though. I wonder if it could be a JHF goes elsewhere and flourishes situation.

Bevo would want to cash in while the likes of Bont and Libba are still good so if they saw TB as the missing piece and we played hard ball…

But they would essentially have to think they could land a better mid than Sanders with whatever pick they get for Smith which is unlikely.

They’ve got gun young KPP stocks so would be unwise to give away young gun mids but they do weird stuff at the kennel…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back