List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Draper and FOS are gone, there’s certainly an appeal to get Smillie at pick 3 now that our current 194cm midfielder has become the best half back ever.
Smilie has no runs on board at VFL level. And when asked to steps up in national champs he failed.

Jagga is safe in has has runs on VFL level and he stepped up at national champs. So Smillie is a no go for me.

Ginbey haters - go away.

The other kids generally looked pretty good today.
Dewar looks like he belongs. Hall also for his 1/2 a game.
Johnston, not bad.
Trew - if he puts together a decent back end should be given another year. Not a lot of possessions but did some nice stuff.
Williams and Maric did enough to suggest there's something to work with.

Other than Harley we are still lacking midfield class and totally lacking pace compared to other teams; but I think we can say we are in better shape end of 2024 than we were end of 2023.

Just need to make sure we either split smart or best available mid in the draft.
Whatever we do, DO NOT waste pick 3 on someone like Baker.

Looks like pick 3 (barring compo etc.) is locked.
We can't catch Adelaide and even if North beat Richmond and us they need to close 151pts of for/against to get above us.
Only way we'll drop a spot is if North thrash us (and beat Richmond) and we get thrashed by Geelong at GBH stadium (as if that's never happened :coldsweat:) by 100+.

I’d be shocked if Jagga isn’t at the top of the Tigers board. We’ll have Draper or FOS available assuming we don’t split.
Mate no way is our new recruiting manager and new list manager taking FOS at pick 3 unless he churns out a couple of dominant performances in the next few weeks.

Smilie has no runs on board at VFL level. And when asked to steps up in national champs he failed.

Jagga is safe in has has runs on VFL level and he stepped up at national champs. So Smillie is a no go for me.
No recruit is a safe pick it’s not an exact science.
Smillie dominated the start of the year when playing purely as a midfielder and has been good but not outstanding when played in a different role during the state champs. He’s a very good chance of going early in the draft.

I suspect Cripps might be the Sheed/Darling of next year, struggling to keep his spot. Long will be the new Cripps, and Graham gets to do what we had LEdwards/Sheed doing across half forward.

The point of difference is he is a solely defensive player. Ginbey looks like he will be a backman for the near future, chesser doesn't do that role it doesnt suit him, Hall should focus on winning the ball and getting it to Reid/Yeo rather than worrying about a man.

If we relate it to Ports midfield, I'm picturing Graham as Willem Drew, Hall as Wines, and Reid/Yeo/whoever getting it forward. Something like that
I see it that way but we would also need one or two of the young small forwards really taking a massive step as well. Hopefully Long exploded onto the scene and Dewar can be a b22 player

Ginbey haters - go away.

The other kids generally looked pretty good today.
Dewar looks like he belongs. Hall also for his 1/2 a game.
Johnston, not bad.
Trew - if he puts together a decent back end should be given another year. Not a lot of possessions but did some nice stuff.
Williams and Maric did enough to suggest there's something to work with.

Other than Harley we are still lacking midfield class and totally lacking pace compared to other teams; but I think we can say we are in better shape end of 2024 than we were end of 2023.

Just need to make sure we either split smart or best available mid in the draft.
Whatever we do, DO NOT waste pick 3 on someone like Baker.

Looks like pick 3 (barring compo etc.) is locked.
We can't catch Adelaide and even if North beat Richmond and us they need to close 151pts of for/against to get above us.
Only way we'll drop a spot is if North thrash us (and beat Richmond) and we get thrashed by Geelong at GBH stadium (as if that's never happened :coldsweat:) by 100+.
I really like Trew and I'm still dumbfounded as to why he hasn't been given more opportunity. Had the least amount of TOG apart from the subs, hence the low possession count - but was clean and effective every time he touched it. That goal in the 2nd term was pure class.

Williams would get murdered as a defender.

I think Edwards just realising if TB goes, he is needed so is just pushing for the biggest contract he can get which is fair enough.

If Edwards does go, then the scenario is to ask for Granger-Barass from Hawks, throw some coin at Busslinger and get on our hands and knees to beg or simply offer Adam Tomlinson a 2 year deal and let him play til someone else is ready. Id also probably look at Lewis Young from Carlton too. Many options to take. Given our current strategy though we probably offer Joel Hamling a 3 year deal
By crickey you post some dribble.

Bailey played a big chunk of his draft year at CHB. I watched a few of these games and he did pretty well.

Granger-Barrass blows up after 15 minutes so I suggest you edit the post and dull it down.

After tonight’s win, the last thing I want is to read posts from you. Do us all a favour and forget to pay your internet provider

Just feels like the perfect guy for us right now.

knows where to run, gets 20-30 without breaking a sweat

no nonsense

Play v men in decent SANFL level

Reckon he'll be a ripper

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Draper and FOS are gone, there’s certainly an appeal to get Smillie at pick 3 now that our current 194cm midfielder has become the best half back ever.
Odd post. I did not hear the Pies fans moaning that Daicos was played in his first couple of years as a half back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate no way is our new recruiting manager and new list manager taking FOS at pick 3 unless he churns out a couple of dominant performances in the next few weeks.
I said he or Draper would be available at 3, not that we’d take him. In saying that I hope we do take him and although you (justifiably) don’t rate him that highly due to a poor top age year, I still think he’ll turn out to be one of, if not the best player in the draft. More in a Pendlebury death by a thousand cuts sense than a Dusty/Judd highlight reel sense.

How good has 2024 been for the development of Jack Williams? The guy has far outperformed my expectations and will help shape our list going forward. Well done Jack
He moves wells, strong, competes hard and is showing that he has some football smarts. I haven’t been big on English but if he comes then it’ll be interesting to see what Jilliams can do with more exposure up forward

I said he or Draper would be available at 3, not that we’d take him. In saying that I hope we do take him and although you (justifiably) don’t rate him that highly due to a poor top age year, I still think he’ll turn out to be one of, if not the best player in the draft. More in a Pendlebury death by a thousand cuts sense than a Dusty/Judd highlight reel sense.

FOS will end up a classy user off of HB.

I see it that way but we would also need one or two of the young small forwards really taking a massive step as well. Hopefully Long exploded onto the scene and Dewar can be a b22 player

Dewar was really good tonight, his clean hands in the last quarter were exquisite.
It was also quite clear that Jack Williams at worst broke even with Witts whilst Bailey Williams did not.
Lots to like about Jack Wiliams and Dewar.

You are actually wrong. I do rate him. I just know that we are not in the position to take a chance on a guy that has shown nothing in his draft year as of now.
It’s such a close pool that you don’t take chances and back in what you know.

You are actually wrong. I do rate him. I just know that we are not in the position to take a chance on a guy that has shown nothing in his draft year as of now.
It’s such a close pool that you don’t take chances and back in what you know.
I’m not wrong, I said you don’t rate him that highly (as in pick 3), not that you didn’t rate him at all. You could mount an argument that just about every player is taking a chance but Draper is probably the safest best with the highest floor.

Dewar was really good tonight, his clean hands in the last quarter were exquisite.
It was also quite clear that Jack Williams at worst broke even with Witts whilst Bailey Williams did not.
Lots to like about Jack Wiliams and Dewar.
Jacks a footballer thats sorta improved athletically since he got here. Doesn’t look slow or lumbering like he did. Bailey is an athlete that lacks complete footy smarts. Think when Jack hits his full maturity he’s gonna be a very strong especially at the legs and hips.

Yeah Deward has really come on in leaps and bounds this season. Tbf he has looked better that brockman all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back