List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've accepted we will get pick 3 which isn't ideal.

That likely means Draper and FOS is gone.

Thankfully the 3rd player who is the least risky is Jagga. So come on down Jagga.

If we wanted to play risky it's Lalor but don't know if I have the appetite unless we get Tobie as well in which case there's at least a 50/50 chance either Lalor or Tobie makes it as a mid
Pick 2 or 3 is still 50/50 atm. That could change today if the Tigers somehow gets up.

Hard to know with this current draft board but If we do finish at 3, Can’t see Tigers or Roos going Sid, the worry would be the Roos want Trainor and they trade with the Crows to allow them to get Sid and get some later picks there way and still get their player.

Id be happy with FOS anyway if the Tigers are going Jagga.

For no real big names on the market atm. Feels like there is going to be a busy off season for us.

The 25-33 year olds were A grade players. Graham is the furthest thing from.

And yet he is a multiple premiership player in the highest competition in the land.

You do understand it takes talent, work ethic and mental toughness to become a multiple premiership player dont you?

Calling a player a spud etc with Graham's record is just being rude and childish.

And guess what. Jumping up and down posting immature rants wont make any difference to the outcome.

I've heard Tigers are most keen on Smillie currently.

And Jaga went through the Tigers programs for quite some time so they have 1st hand exposure to him.

I would love to somehow land two live picks around 7 to 11 and another around 14.

Then pick 7 Travagalia, 9 Langford and 14 Bo Allen. Now those three would seriously add some quality youngsters into our mix.

Last edited:
And yet he is a multiple premiership player in the highest competition in the land.

You do understand it takes talent, work ethic and mental toughness to become a multiple premiership player dont you?

Calling a player a spud etc with Graham's record is just being rude and childish.

And guess what. Jumping up and down posting immature rants wont make any difference to the outcome.
Rude, childish and honest. He is at extreme best a role player. Thats what he did in those teams. He played a role. Billy Frampton played a role last year. Do I want us to give him a 3 year deal? Absolutely not

Im okay with a role player but he plays a role we do not need to fill. We dont need to replace Clay Hall after he plays 1 gane, we dont need to move Dewar back into the WAFL so Graham can play HF after 1 game.

The imaginary role people want him to play should be given to a younger player, especially when we have options to do it. Hall, Chesser, Hewett need to be given that chance before we replace them with Jack Graham as far as inside mid goes and Dewar/Brockman/Hutchison should get a go at HF before Graham does

We 100% need role players but they need to play wing and give us some good disposal as a outside midfielder or at back pocket to replace Witherden. Graham does none of this. We are picking up a square peg to put in a round hole.

Take away the goggles whereby we judge the player, look at our list and tell me what need he fills here? He simply doesnt fill one and at the point we do think he is needed, Parfitt on a rookie deal can fill it instead of a main list 3 year burn

A dumb thought when it comes to draft day, but do we not kind of need another left footed midfielder here? If Ginbey stays at HB for 2025, we basically only have right footed mids.

Id be very interested in Harvey Langford already but having a left foot probably makes him a bigger target

Rude, childish and honest. He is at extreme best a role player. Thats what he did in those teams. He played a role. Billy Frampton played a role last year. Do I want us to give him a 3 year deal? Absolutely not

Im okay with a role player but he plays a role we do not need to fill. We dont need to replace Clay Hall after he plays 1 gane, we dont need to move Dewar back into the WAFL so Graham can play HF after 1 game.

The imaginary role people want him to play should be given to a younger player, especially when we have options to do it. Hall, Chesser, Hewett need to be given that chance before we replace them with Jack Graham as far as inside mid goes and Dewar/Brockman/Hutchison should get a go at HF before Graham does

We 100% need role players but they need to play wing and give us some good disposal as a outside midfielder or at back pocket to replace Witherden. Graham does none of this. We are picking up a square peg to put in a round hole.

Take away the goggles whereby we judge the player, look at our list and tell me what need he fills here? He simply doesnt fill one and at the point we do think he is needed, Parfitt on a rookie deal can fill it instead of a main list 3 year burn

We need a Rowan Jones type who plays a selfless role that assists the gun kids break tags and win games for us. A player with the experience and body to block, tackle and when needed take out opposition taggers targeting Reid and others.

We shouldnt have Yeo doing that, he is an attacking extractor. And draftees do not have the body, skill set or experience to walk into that role. And finally you dont use limited draft picks to fill that role. You get a FA for free with the body, skillset and mindset to do that role.

Some roles you dont use draft picks to fill. And we need all our picks for kids who are more than role players. You do get that?

We need a Rowan Jones type who plays a selfless role that assists the gun kids break tags and win games for us. A pkay with the experience and body to block, tackle and when needed take out opposition taggers targeting Reid and others.

We shouldnt have Yeo doing that, he is an attacking extractor. And draftees doint have the body, skill set or experience to do that role. And finally you dont use limited draft picks to fill that role. You get a free agent for free with the body, skillset and mindset to do that role.
Id probably have Chesser/Hall fighting for the exact role you said. It may be 1 season too soon for example but I dont think we should invest 1 mill+ in a guy to play for 1 year either. Its why youd get a much cheaper stopgap .

I dont think Yeo should do it either. Come 2025 id start with Hall/Chesser competing for that. If we feel they need help, id use a rookie list spot for that and not the money Graham will cost

I do agree with stallions idea that if we pay Graham say 3 year 1.5 mill and we save a 2nd round pick in any Liam Baker trade, then it is worthwhile. In this current draft im happy go keep pick 24 and pay the price of Graham being on our list for 2 years longer then id like and then 1 mill spent in salary over that 3 years to achieve it

A dumb thought when it comes to draft day, but do we not kind of need another left footed midfielder here? If Ginbey stays at HB for 2025, we basically only have right footed mids.

Id be very interested in Harvey Langford already but having a left foot probably makes him a bigger target
Sounds like a diversity hire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well my definition is giving them a game, that’s the issue.
I mean that’s fair

Would love an explanation to why an opinion you don’t agree with is an immature rant.

The game has completely changed. The flags were five years ago. Players regress. We should just play sheed if you think previous accolates are more important than current ability.

I think the bigger mids Langford/Smillie become genuine options now if Ginbey is a long term half back.

I'd like us to split to get Langford and Travaglia tbh. Barrass pick can be whoever else, probably an outside leaning mid whoever is best available, I just want those 2 the most

Id probably have Chesser/Hall fighting for the exact role you said. It may be 1 season too soon for example but I dont think we should invest 1 mill+ in a guy to play for 1 year either. Its why youd get a much cheaper stopgap .
I dont think that's Hall or Chessers natural game. Chesser is another in that attacking mould and Hall looks like an extractor.
I dont think Chesser can ever be that guy but if we need to develop Hall to be a defensive player for a couple of years so he can get games then thatd be fine imo
I dont think Yeo should do it either. Come 2025 id start with Hall/Chesser competing for that. If we feel they need help, id use a rookie list spot for that and not the money Graham will cost
Graham can come in and do it straight away, and he'd be better at it than Trew or Culley or Hall.

So you rate him at pick 3 but we shouldn’t take him at pick 3?
No I don’t have him anywhere because I’m still hopeful he can show us something near what I’d expect from him this year.
It’s becoming less likely however that we get to see that. Oakleigh only have a few games left and won’t play finals.

The thing with FOS is that he wasn’t a clear number one pick like Harley, he was probably the favourite of a talented group of players that had pretty good underage campaigns. Unfortunately for FOS we have seen very little of him this year and what we have seen of him has been very underwhelming.

If the draft was tonight I’d personally go with other options because there is a group of quality players that have either reinforced there claims such as Smith, Smillie and Draper. Or like Murphy, Langford and Travaglia have had a fantastic consistent draft year and risen into top 10 conversations.

I’d also put Ashcroft and Lombard in that group too and would be quite happy to bid on either.

I find it hard to believe that the likes of Matt Clarke and Duane Massey in there first draft year in charge at the Eagles would risk such a high pick on a kid that has had the worst draft year of that group by some margin and go purely on his underage form in a year where the top group is very very even.

Last edited:
We need a Rowan Jones type who plays a selfless role that assists the gun kids break tags and win games for us. A player with the experience and body to block, tackle and when needed take out opposition taggers targeting Reid and others.

We shouldnt have Yeo doing that, he is an attacking extractor. And draftees do not have the body, skill set or experience to walk into that role. And finally you dont use limited draft picks to fill that role. You get a FA for free with the body, skillset and mindset to do that role.

Some roles you dont use draft picks to fill. And we need all our picks for kids who are more than role players. You do get that?
It’s questionable whether rowan jones would get a game the way football is played these days.

I am hoping we do a 2022 split plus get 10 from the Hawks.

7, 10 and 12 woukd be a sweet spot to land a quality blend.

I’d agree with this a month ago but if Saints get band 1 compo for Battle, splitting isn’t appealing to me

Richmond will go a mid, Crows will go a mid, Saints will probably go two mids, if Richmond get the Suns pick they’ll probably go another mid, as will Melbourne.

Think we need to secure one of Jagga, FOS, Draper or Smillie, don’t think we’ll be able to do that at 7, which will really be 8, not including bids on academy guys.

I do agree with stallions idea that if we pay Graham say 3 year 1.5 mill and we save a 2nd round pick in any Liam Baker trade, then it is worthwhile. In this current draft im happy go keep pick 24 and pay the price of Graham being on our list for 2 years longer then id like and then 1 mill spent in salary over that 3 years to achieve it

That role needs a mature body and head. It will take Chesser and Hall another 2 to 3 years to get that. And thats why you bring in someone for free to do the dirty work and heavy lifting until the kids are ready. Without spending any draft capital.

In any case we didnt spend 1st or 2nd round picks on Chesser and Hall for this role. We hope they will develop into better players than this role requires.

We just dont have top picks to use to fill every hole and list requirement straight away. We dont. It is simple math people. So because we want to invest our best picks on hopefully future guns we need to fill lessor roles with free agents.

These role players are not stealing games off kids who are ready to play. They are helping these kids develop and when they come into the side with little to no senior experience, provide structure, leadership and get us competitive.

Last edited:
I’d agree with this a month ago but if Saints get band 1 compo for Battle, splitting isn’t appealing to me

Richmond will go a mid, Crows will go a mid, Saints will probably go two mids, if Richmond get the Suns pick they’ll probably go another mid, as will Melbourne.

Think we need to secure one of Jagga, FOS, Draper or Smillie, don’t think we’ll be able to do that at 7, which will really be 8, not including bids on academy guys.

Battle IMO wont land band 1. He is an UFA so Saints have no rights to match so there is no need for the Hawks to pay stupid money. $850k pa wont land band 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back