List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's got the best defensive qualities out of all the top mids in this years draft? we get burnt on defensive transition all the time in the midfield, Reid and Hewett will never be great two-way runners and Ginbey is now a half back. Obviously get the most talented player through the door but we need to fix up this area of our game as well.

7 Travagalia
10 Langford
12 Bo Allan
30 KP defender
40 plus bid matched Champion

Two mid / defenders
One pure mid in Langford.
A KP defender
A small forward

Trades including FAs

English
Baker
Graham
Carrol
Nice balance of positions. A few are keen on Langford. Looks like a Rolls Royce in U18s but I think he’ll go later than expected (although maybe Demons take him as he has a body ready to play R1 for one last crack at a flag) after he tests at the combine. Don’t see him as a pure mid, think he’d spend a lot of time at HFF at AFL level.

Would you be interested in Carroll if he wasn’t from
WA? Not a criticism, just wondering why he’d be a better target than say Davies from GCS.

Who's got the best defensive qualities out of all the top mids in this years draft? we get burnt on defensive transition all the time in the midfield, Reid and Hewett will never be great two-way runners and Ginbey is now a half back. Obviously get the most talented player through the door but we need to fix up this area of our game as well.
Luckily we’re acquiring Jack Graham to fix this once and for all.

I am hoping we do a 2022 split plus get 10 from the Hawks.

7, 10 and 12 woukd be a sweet spot to land a quality blend.
I just did a ladder predictor and had Freo(or Richmond after the Bolton trade) ending up with 9 and 10 and Hawthorn ending up with 11. There is a real possibility that we could end up with 3 picks in a row in the first round and that hasn't happened since Essendon a few years back.

Last edited:
I’d be shocked if Jagga isn’t at the top of the Tigers board. We’ll have Draper or FOS available assuming we don’t split.
If barrass goes we shouldn't split.

Take the 2 pick for barrass, one of which likely top 10 and hope he is still there. Use the next pick from Barras and the 23 we have for best available then.

4 kids inside top 30.

English Graham for nothing.

Baker for F3

BW for dees F3 and pass that onto dogs for Garcia.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need a Rowan Jones type who plays a selfless role that assists the gun kids break tags and win games for us. A player with the experience and body to block, tackle and when needed take out opposition taggers targeting Reid and others.

We shouldnt have Yeo doing that, he is an attacking extractor. And draftees do not have the body, skill set or experience to walk into that role. And finally you dont use limited draft picks to fill that role. You get a FA for free with the body, skillset and mindset to do that role.

Some roles you dont use draft picks to fill. And we need all our picks for kids who are more than role players. You do get that?
The game has kind of moved passed one dimensional players that “play a role” though. That’s why Gaff and Sheed don’t get games anymore despite being good at what they did a few years ago.

That’s also why Richmond (as well as us) find themselves in the hole they’re in and teams like Essendon and Collingwood are following suit, because you can’t get away with this “very good top end + role players” setup anymore. Everyone needs to be capable of beating their man.

Have a look at Sydney and Brisbanes worst mid/forward players or “role players”. It’s guys like Hayward, Fletcher, Florent, Bailey, Berry.

Graham is no doubt an upgrade on our worst player as it stands, but are we gaining anything by having him out there instead of Hall and Chesser?

Take the 2 pick for barrass, one of which likely top 10 and hope he is still there. Use the next pick from Barras and the 23 we have for best available then.

4 kids inside top 30.

Baker for F3

I agree ......against splitting the pick....more open to it if Barrass stays

I actually think Graham can and would get games in 2025. Question is, do you think that is true in 2026 and 2027 or should we want and expect Hall to take over?

If we dont expect Graham to play seniors or say want him too, then he probably isnt a good fit

4 kids inside top 30.

Baker for F3

That’s a fair comment. Obviously need to assess who’s likely to be available but reading the tea leaves it sounds like the most likely option is a split with Freo. 2/3, for say 7 and 11, personally I’d prefer the two picks in this draft.

If we get English as a FA, perhaps a straight swap of BWilliams for Garcia would be an option for both parties.

I’m very excited for the people who are sick of our mids getting dictated to by oppo rucks to see Tim English at the coalface next year, should he move across.

Bailey isn’t an AFL standard ruckman, we all can see this no matter how hard he tries different things to impact at ruck contests. He just won’t make it there.

But Tim English might be about the only bloke in footy who is worse at the tap. Does lots of other stuff extremely well by ruck standards, far better player than Bailey, but for people saying “we need to upgrade our ruck, get English in now”…good luck, have fun.

I’m very excited for the people who are sick of our mids getting dictated to by oppo rucks to see Tim English at the coalface next year, should he move across.

Bailey isn’t an AFL standard ruckman, we all can see this no matter how hard he tries different things to impact at ruck contests. He just won’t make it there.

But Tim English might be about the only bloke in footy who is worse at the tap. Does lots of other stuff extremely well by ruck standards, far better player than Bailey, but for people saying “we need to upgrade our ruck, get English in now”…good luck, have fun.

English is the softest, worst tap ruckman in the comp.

He makes up for it in other areas of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cashing in on Barrass is a must for me, whilst moving guys like Liam Ryan and Bailey Williams would be beneficial too.

I still believe cashing in on ONE of Waterman or Allen is smart, but I know I’ll be in the minority on that.
And what happens should one go down with injury next year as players like Maric and JWilliams are still finding their way - also from what I’ve heard Waterman wants to be a one club player and his preference is to stay - dependent upon the contract offered at seasons end - and can’t see the club forcing him to leave somehow.

Last edited:

English/Williams is a small upgrade in the ruck work but not huge. Tim English is better but with him its not what you are paying for. What you are paying for is Tim English basically running up and down the ground and getting more of the ball and impacting more contests, in particular defensively then Bwill does

If we want ruck work, Flynn is actually a very good tap ruck and much better then both and is definetly a option to play still if thats what we want.

English isnt worth the money necessarily but if we can front end his deal, trade Bwill for a 2nd rounder then how is that not a win?

I don't understand any thought of trading Waterman. With Allen and Waterman, we have our JK/Darling combo (not suggesting the same level - time will tell) for years to come. JWilliams fits in there (but is not yet at the same level) and as promising as AReid looks, he hasn't played a game yet. The odd one out is BW. If we get English, move BW on or he is depth/we try him back (although I have doubts on that). But not sure why anyone would consider trading Waterman simply to try and find another key forward, whether on our list or not.

Barrass makes a lot more sense because of age but is obviously a risk due to lack of depth. But generating a couple of decent picks makes the risk worth it and adequate backs generally seem easier to find deeper in the draft.

And what happens should one go down with injury next year as players like Maric and JWilliams are still finding their way - also from what I’ve heard Waterman wants to be a one club player and his preference is to stay - dependent upon the contract offered at seasons end - and can’t see the club forcing him to leave somehow.
Id say the hope is Bazzo is ready to rock come 2025 and really be a full time option. If Barass goes also we simply gotta look at Reid/Maric and welcome one of them to a full time defender role and the other as a viable option by training and getting a bit of familarity with it

I honestly think we are 100% wasting our time with Archer Reid as a forward. He is 100% a defender in 2025 so lets get him in that spot. A tall defender group of McGovern/Bazzo/Hedwards/Reid/Maric is okay with me

I just did a ladder predictor and had Freo(or Richmond after the Bolton trade) ending up with 9 and 10 and Hawthorn ending up with 11. There is a real possibility that we could end up with 3 picks in a row in the first round and that hasn't happened since Essendon a few years back.

And the deal lands Richmond ending up with pick 1 and 3 plus other late 1sts and early 2nds.

Feel we will work with Richmond this trade period to help each other hit this draft hard. And next years.

Based on how we went against one of the better contested midfields around, despite losing the hitouts convincingly, I don’t think I’d mind too much.

English and JW is a pretty solid pairing. Especially if we get English for zero draft capital and move Bailey on (a net positive draft position plus the better player).

Xavier Lindsay, Harvey Langford, and Murphy Reid according to someone one of them or most of them had very very poor testing. We can't risk it.

While testing isn't the be all and end all they haven't played VFL/Against men aswell.

I do trust Murphy Reid out of that lot.

If one of those three become our top midfielder we draft we are in trouble.

------

7. Lalor
10. Murphy Reid
12. Tobie

That's acceptable given at least 1 of Tobie or lalor will be an elite mid

English is the softest, worst tap ruckman in the comp.

He makes up for it in other areas of his game.

He is better at tap work than Bailey and he becomes an extra midfielder around rhe ground which Bailey doesnt.

English and Jack Williams would be a good pairing.

Flynn needs to get and stay fit.

He is better at tap work than Bailey and he becomes an extra midfielder around rhe ground which Bailey doesnt.

English and Jack Williams would be a good pairing.

Flynn needs to get and stay fit.
So apart from being better at rucking, getting possessions, covering the ground, tackling and more reliable up forward, he isnt as good as Bailey Williams :D

It is a bit of a beggars cant be choosers issue here also

Well what matters is we can get rid of Bailey.

We could Oscar Allen in the ruck and I still consider that a win because we can delist bailey Williams.

I'm on the side of get bailey the hell out of here and irregardles of who we bring in.

Pick 2 or 3 is still 50/50 atm. That could change today if the Tigers somehow gets up.

Hard to know with this current draft board but If we do finish at 3, Can’t see Tigers or Roos going Sid, the worry would be the Roos want Trainor and they trade with the Crows to allow them to get Sid and get some later picks there way and still get their player.

Id be happy with FOS anyway if the Tigers are going Jagga.

For no real big names on the market atm. Feels like there is going to be a busy off season for us.

Draper, Jagga, Smillie, FOS could all work for us. We would get somebody we are happy with at that pick regardless of the order imo. With Ginbey really looking like a defender we need both an accumulator more outside mid (Draper/FOS) or an in an under type (smillie/jagga).

The dream would be to try and get top 10’s. Then a 3-4 picks in the value 20-50 range where we can target wings, smalls, KPDs and other less expensive projects.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back