List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Every campaigner who wants to trade the can get in the bin.

Allen, Waterman, Jilliams is looking very fine to me.

Just need a proper first ruck. Billiams is the one we should be prepared to let go. Bailey has provided leal service but the flipside is he has gained some league currency. It's in both parties best interest to cash in that currency sooner rather than later.
If English signs with the Dogs. What’s our options? Nick Bryan was linked last year. One of the Freo back ups? Who are the best back ups? Remembering Soldo cost F2, F4, 41 + 49 for Soldo and 50 last year.

Not a great place to be in if we don’t get English

No chance the first one and unlikely the 2nd one (we can throw in Barnett). They’re fans are always linking them to players from their state (which makes sense) Draper and Dodson would be a few of their fans draft
We'd need Curtin to really throw a tantrum to get something like the 2nd one over the line. I'm watching this space at least.

I like Chad Warner but his form at the start of the season was an outlier, not his normal. Shouldn’t sell the farm for him.

This obsession with graham is getting strange. Last night for a lot of the last quarter we had Duggan, yeo and Kelly in the middle. Why on earth do we need to add another senior body to that mix?
Bc Yeo missed game, Kelly missed games etc etc. it's called depth

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If English signs with the Dogs. What’s our options? Nick Bryan was linked last year. One of the Freo back ups? Who are the best back ups? Remembering Soldo cost F2, F4, 41 + 49 for Soldo and 50 last year.

Not a great place to be in if we don’t get English
That's what I've been banging on for a while about now, the laziest thing and what i think our club will do is go all in on English. He's still a chance to sign and is a bit meh for what we need. There'd be a stack of young talent which would fit our rebuild demographic better who are prob worth R4 of F3 pics atm dying to get an opportunity elsewhere. I hope to God our list managers do their due diligence and find a loyyd meek this off-season and look past the sugar hit of English

Might be his only choice if he wants to go home if Freo do the Bolton deal. Even more so with their picks getting less juicy this year with every round.

The money would be huge.
It won't be this year.
Will probably be able to trade 2 years in advance.

He wants Freo and assume they will get it done.

Yeah I understand “roles” need to be played. But they need to be played by more skillful players than Rowan Jones and Jack Graham. Chesser will at least provide some pace and class when he gets a few games under his belt.

All Graham does is clog a spot. We’ve already got enough senior players shielding the kids in the guts. I think Hunt is a good comparison, fills a spot and is pretty solid tbf but ideally you’d still want an upgrade there. We don’t want too many of these nothing types blocking the pathways for the talented kids.
Well said. Graham averages 16 disposals, absolute woeful waste of a midfield spot. We have enough midfield experience of a higher quality to usher the young guns.

Clay Hall could cut his teeth with some run with roles. Plenty of good mids have done that early in their career to learn from the best oppo mids.

He’s a big, strong kid and looks like he works hard. I remember in Harley’s draft year he did an interview after Hall ran with him in a game and said he was the toughest opponent he’d faced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtin played 6% game time today, bringing his average time on ground down to 31% over 4 games. He can't be happy with his situation there.

It wasn't that long ago that the only draftees getting regular senior games were top end picks that were freaks and almost everyone else maybe got a game here and there in their first year on the list. The league has changed a lot these days in that we expect most draftees to impact in their first year (unless they're beanpoles).

I'm not saying you're wrong in that he may be unhappy with how much game time he's been getting, but surely it shouldn't be an issue for him - coz if it is he's being a bit impatient.

It wasn't that long ago that the only draftees getting regular senior games were top end picks that were freaks and almost everyone else maybe got a game here and there in their first year on the list. The league has changed a lot these days in that we expect most draftees to impact in their first year (unless they're beanpoles).

I'm not saying you're wrong in that he may be unhappy with how much game time he's been getting, but surely it shouldn't be an issue for him - coz if it is he's being a bit impatient.
Frustration may be where Adelaide sit on the ladder and you would like younger players to get opportunities when out of finals contention? (esp utility/types like Curtin who could potentially play anywhere on the ground)

I didn't expect Curtin to impact games this year but I certainly expected him to play at least ONE full game. He's played like four games so far and been the sub in every one of them to playing a total that doesn't even equate a single games worth of minutes. Once again, I am so glad we didn't bow to public pressure from the East last year and trade down from 1 to get Curtin. Curtin's draft stock was greatly inflated last year because we finished last, he's a West Aussie and that we were previously into him.

It's just so weird that the Crows are floundering just above us, the coach says he'll play the young players, and the guy they traded up to get doesn't even get played.

I didn't expect Curtin to impact games this year but I certainly expected him to play at least ONE full game. He's played like four games so far and been the sub in every one of them to playing a total that doesn't even equate a single games worth of minutes. Once again, I am so glad we didn't bow to public pressure from the East last year and trade down from 1 to get Curtin. Curtin's draft stock was greatly inflated last year because we finished last, he's a West Aussie and that we were previously into him.

It's just so weird that the Crows are floundering just above us, the coach says he'll play the young players, and the guy they traded up to get doesn't even get played.

Sure, but that may also be dependent on who else is available at the Crows that plays in the same position though.

Anyway, I just think in your first year of your professional career some patience is required from both sides of the fence, otherwise you end up with another JHF on your hands.

First year draftees are having impact these days because you pretty much can't touch them.

The top end ones are usually highly skilled.

Back in the day, guys like Mckercher and Sheezel would've gotten smashed.

Now you can't belt them, bump them or even tackle with intent.

I remember when Cousins started playing and he would get belted from pillar to post.

If a player like Nick Watson behaved like he does 10 or so years ago, he probably would've gotten stretchered off.

IMO, that's one of the reasons kids can come in and have an immediate impact.

Last edited:
First year draftees are having impact these days because you pretty much can't touch them.

The top end ones are usually highly skilled.

Back in the day, guys like Mckercher and Sheezel would've gotten smashed.

Now you can't belt them, bump them or even tackle with intent.

I remember when Cousins started playing and he would get belted from pillar to post.

If a player like Nick Watson behaved like he does 10 or so years ago, he probably would've got stretchers off.

IMO, that's one of the reasons kids can come in and have an immediate impact.

Makes what Harley is doing all the more special, he's the one handing out the smackdowns.

I’m in the FOS or Sid tent or would consider trade down. Crows would go a mid and if the Saints have 2 picks and likely to go mids. I know it’s a stacked mid draft but not sure any of the ones that would fall to nearly the 9th pick would be and link accumulator we need badly.

Nah, that’s Reuben Ginbey territory (and that’s no knock - he was awesome last night and is progressing just fine), where you have half back flankers that could be mids, or mids that have serious deficiencies or question marks. We absolutely need another gun mid, and really need to stay at 3 to get that player.

The difference between Draper and the guy we take at 4 would be minimal at this stage, a coin flip.

I'd back Curtin to comfortably be better than what we can reasonably expect from a pick 23.

It'd be negligence to not accept that trade tbh

I’m not so sure, but each to their own.

Do we really want the type of player who throws the toys out of the cot after 1 year though?

Personally, I'd like to see what he's got before we throw big offers for him.

Yep. Before we part with the chance to draft Sid Draper, I’d want to see him clock some decent midfield time at AFL level, and I don’t think we’re going to get the chance to see that in the next 3 weeks. Too risky for mine, can try again next year if he still wants out - hopefully by then we have a better idea of what he could be as a mid at AFL level.

I’d agree with this a month ago but if Saints get band 1 compo for Battle, splitting isn’t appealing to me

Richmond will go a mid, Crows will go a mid, Saints will probably go two mids, if Richmond get the Suns pick they’ll probably go another mid, as will Melbourne.

Think we need to secure one of Jagga, FOS, Draper or Smillie, don’t think we’ll be able to do that at 7, which will really be 8, not including bids on academy guys.
I don't reckon Saints go 2 mids. Think they project reasonably well in that department.......
Pou, Wilson, Windhager & I think Owens would make a very good mid long term if they gave him a game there. Add another high pick there that's a mid, I think their next priority would have to be tall.
Plus they have another elite small off HBF in NWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back