List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtin played 6% game time today, bringing his average time on ground down to 31% over 4 games. He can't be happy with his situation there.

If he was to ask for a trade this year how much is too much to give for him?

1st rounder from the Hawks for Curtin and a 2nd rounder?
The 2+23 for 4+Curtin?
Maybe he doesn't deserve more?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

First year draftees are having impact these days because you pretty much can't touch them.

The top end ones are usually highly skilled.

Back in the day, guys like Mckercher and Sheezel would've gotten smashed.

Now you can't belt them, bump them or even tackle with intent.

I remember when Cousins started playing and he would get belted from pillar to post.

If a player like Nick Watson behaved like he does 10 or so years ago, he probably would've gotten stretchered off.

IMO, that's one of the reasons kids can come in and have an immediate impact.
Cousins had scratches all over him from libba, dirty midget

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really don't want to lose TB 😪
This is typical West Coast thinking. Our club has to become more ruthless.

When was the last time we had 2 clubs fighting over a player who's 29 and will unlikely be part of our next premiership push, who could net us a good first and good second round pick?

We have players either playing out of position or in the WAFL who can replace TB. This will infinitely speed up our rebuild.

In my mind, this is a no brainer

Chad Warner is proving to not be worth anywhere near the currency that was expected earlier this season.

His last two matches have seen him finish with 11 and 14 touches. He has shown that he is not capable of performing when the rest of his team-mates struggle.

Would still be very happy to have him but he is not a team you build around and I certainly wouldn't be offering what Shitney would expect.

Thankfully we already have that player to a build team around in Reid.

This is typical West Coast thinking. Our club has to become more ruthless.

When was the last time we had 2 clubs fighting over a player who's 29 and will unlikely be part of our next premiership push, who could net us a good first and good second round pick?

We have players either playing out of position or in the WAFL who can replace TB. This will infinitely speed up our rebuild.

In my mind, this is a no brainer
Fair point/s

Bc Yeo missed game, Kelly missed games etc etc. it's called depth

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
You really think we said to Jack Graham

"Well Yeo gets injured a lot, so we can see a place for you in our team when Yeo is injured"

If he is coming, he is doing so on the understanding that he is playing in our best 22

Looking at a 2025 B22, assuming Barrass leaves.

Set and forget locks:

FB: Hough McGovern Duggan

HB: Ginbey - Hunt

C: - Yeo -

HF: Ryan Waterman -

FF: - Allen -

R: - Reid Kelly

INT: J. Williams - - - -

Now adding in the incredibly likely, call them locks to get first opportunity:

FB: Hough McGovern Duggan

HB: Ginbey HEdwards Hunt

C: - Yeo -

HF: Ryan Waterman Hewett

FF: Long Allen -

R: - Reid Kelly

INT: J. Williams, Maric, Pick 3 - -

We have no locks at ruck and need to sort out our wings. We also need more forward craft - Cripps has been removed from any semblance of lock due to recent form, and equally a guy like Dewar has a way to go before becoming a lock. Then we get into the Chesser, Hall, Johnston, Bazzo’s of the world.

There’s plenty of opportunity for players to stake their claim here, but I also think there’s quite a bit to work with that you wouldn’t necessarily think given our results over the years.

You forgot Noah Long for the set and forget lock at forward pocket. If he isnt a set and forget then I dont know what is

For me the Curtin situations issue is if we try trade for him now, Adelaide will want pick 3... which Daniel Curtin isnt worth

Id simply wait til next year, re asses and try target him then. If he comes, good. If he doesnt then we move on to never discuss the subject again

straight swap gaff and sheed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the Curtin situations issue is if we try trade for him now, Adelaide will want pick 3... which Daniel Curtin isnt worth

Id simply wait til next year, re asses and try target him then. If he comes, good. If he doesnt then we move on to never discuss the subject again
There’s no conceivable way they get pick 3 for him. We also have something Adelaide want in terms of pick access to Draper. If we can get him for some of the deals suggested, I’d take it, though I’m not convinced Adelaide would. But if we wait to next year and his output improves (it looks good at SANFL level) plus not having anything Adelaide wants and he costs more.

He’d still be contracted next year, would Adelaide’s attitude be any different?

Chad Warner is proving to not be worth anywhere near the currency that was expected earlier this season.

His last two matches have seen him finish with 11 and 14 touches. He has shown that he is not capable of performing when the rest of his team-mates struggle.

Would still be very happy to have him but he is not a team you build around and I certainly wouldn't be offering what Shitney would expect.

Thankfully we already have that player to a build team around in Reid.

The whole 2 first rounders is obviously a bit much, however I think you're being a bit harsh, the entire Sydney team is in a bit of a slump right now. Warner is quality - a bit similar to Tim Kelly where he need support - but geez it'd be mint to have him in our side.

He’d still be contracted next year, would Adelaide’s attitude be any different?
Nope but id like to think our pick 3 is pick 6 instead which makes it easier to stomach perhaps :D

I also think with the change in trade rules coming up we can probably move picks around easier to get such a deal done without killing our draft hand instantly like we would this season

The whole 2 first rounders is obviously a bit much, however I think you're being a bit harsh, the entire Sydney team is in a bit of a slump right now. Warner is quality - a bit similar to Tim Kelly where he need support - but geez it'd be mint to have him in our side.
Form is temporary and class is permanent. In saying that Warner isnt a good fit for us. He plays the role I want Reid to play mostly. For Fremantle though he is the PERFECT fit and I mean PERFECT. I dont see 2 first rounders as being enough though just because Fremantle are likely to have them in the teens. If you had say pick 8 and 15 then thats another story. Sydney will need and want 3 top 20 picks which I think they get

Curtin seems quite risky trade. Sounds like he wants to be a mid rather than a kpd and we really don’t need any more mids that have midfield potential but aren’t mids really.
Is it OK though, with Ginbey going back now. Curtin through midfield is quite damaging.

Any chance a desperate Sydney make another Tom Barass attempt? They 100% need another tall defender.

In this draft the whole pick 19,20 and then say Sheldrick looks good to me
Both parties (Barrass and Swans) have pissed each other off and his reason for moving to Sydney was his sister being there and she is now in Melbourne.

Almost zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back