List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtin played 6% game time today, bringing his average time on ground down to 31% over 4 games. He can't be happy with his situation there.

If he was to ask for a trade this year how much is too much to give for him?

1st rounder from the Hawks for Curtin and a 2nd rounder?
The 2+23 for 4+Curtin?
The clear big brain move is to load up mids this draft .

Next draft take cody Curtin who is actually a KPP with our first .

2026 when Daniel Curtin is OOC take him using our future (2027) 1st . This will also let us gauge if Daniel Curtin makes it as a mid or reverts back to defence . Let the crows work that out .

That's having our cake and eating it too .

For me the Curtin situations issue is if we try trade for him now, Adelaide will want pick 3... which Daniel Curtin isnt worth

Id simply wait til next year, re asses and try target him then. If he comes, good. If he doesnt then we move on to never discuss the subject again
No they won't. Hasn't proved anything at AFL level.

I touted this before. If they rate Draper as a mid they see at the crows for life and suspect Curtin is a flight risk then...

Pick 2 and 23 for 4 and Curtin would be a no brainer.

If he does have a better 2 yrs and is consistently in the team lighting it up like reid or sheezel or mckercher then at that time, the cost to get him will be 2 top 10 picks. So, if we think he would fit our midfield, either we find a way to nab him now, or find ourselves in the same situation we did with TK.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

BWilliams will most likely seek a trade if English comes in and that works for most I would’ve thought. Sounds like he considers himself a forward and he really would be 5-6th on that depth chart next year. 3rd on the ruck depth chart.

As most have said here, Dees would probably be in the hunt and would allow Petty to play back. Somehow linked to HEdwards

Bailey to the Dees makes alot of sense. They need a backup for Gawn and they need to find another tall forward spoil for Fritsch.

I reckon that you can throw a blanket over Smith, FOS, Draper, Ashcroft and Smillie. I know we are getting another quality young mid to go with Harley, Hewett, Ginbey and the rest. Good draft depth this year.
Draper had the bye, Richmond VFL had the bye but did Jagga or any of the rest play this weekend? Or all playing private school footy?

I reckon that you can throw a blanket over Smith, FOS, Draper, Ashcroft and Smillie. I know we are getting another quality young mid to go with Harley, Hewett, Ginbey and the rest. Good draft depth this year.

Agree, which is why I think a lot want to trade Barrass if it is requested.

Very even top end (so pick splitting is less valuable) and very even and deep mid range (10-30/40).

With the Hawks first pick looking more and more like double digits (10–12 depending on compo and academy/FS) that isn’t going to be enough on its own. F1 added is the dream but seems unlikely, so would prefer a 2024 2nd to a F2.

Sort out another high quality inside/balanced mid, then mid/late picks on outside mids, flankers, small forwards and a KPD

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean that’s fair

Would love an explanation to why an opinion you don’t agree with is an immature rant.

The game has completely changed. The flags were five years ago. Players regress. We should just play sheed if you think previous accolates are more important than current ability.

The negativity and lack of respect shown to a multiple premiership player and one that could have been a club captain.

Sheed doesnt have the defensive intensity and consistency Graham shows every game. Graham is a leader. Sheed is far from it and is most definately living off past acheivements, his foot problems have just taken his conditioning away to the point where he just doesnt have the fitness base to compete.

Happy with Graham if hes a UFA. We are not giving anything up for him, and he would be a great mentor for our younger mids.

Never underestimate the impact of veterans that can lead by example, especially on the defensive side of the ball.... something we are lacking with our current veteran mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The negativity and lack of respect shown to a multiple premiership player and one that could have been a club captain.

Sheed doesnt have the defensive intensity and consistency Graham shows every game. Graham is a leader. Sheed is far from it and is most definately living off past acheivements, his foot problems have just taken his conditioning away to the point where he just doesnt have the fitness base to compete.
So because he won premierships four years back he’s not immune to criticism?

The way you talk about sheed is the way Richmond fans talk about graham. There’s a reason why they don’t care that he is leaving.

Duggan will play his role to a far better level.

I must admit to be a bit baffled about the negativity around getting in Jack Graham as a FA.

Sure if we had to trade for him it’s a different story. But he is without question an AFL quality player. We have a few his age running around who aren’t. Absolute no brainer.

So because he won premierships four years back he’s not immune to criticism?

The way you talk about sheed is the way Richmond fans talk about graham. There’s a reason why they don’t care that he is leaving.

Duggan will play his role to a far better level.

Graham plays as a defensive mid. It’ll let Yeo/Harley/Tk be more attacking. Currently we use Yeo as defensive sweeper at centre bounce - see Yeo’s starting position on defensive side when Harley wins the clearance and handballs it forward Q1 v GCS.

Ginbey was playing that role, but looks locked in down back, and you don’t want to give it to a 1st year player or high end talent like a Hewett or Draper/Smith etc

Graham would mean Yeo spends less time on defensive side of stoppage and Duggan plays back, by far his better position.

Graham would play the same role as Rowbottom at Swans letting Heeney and Warner off the chain.

Graham unlocks our mids and strengthens our backline.

Its 450K well spent.

Last edited:
Draper had the bye, Richmond VFL had the bye but did Jagga or any of the rest play this weekend? Or all playing private school footy?
Oakleigh Chargers had a bye and I think APS is over for the year. Eastern Rangers with Smilie and Moraes beat the Western Jets but can't find their stats. I think Smilie was it.

Is Sheeds foot/ankle issue bad enough that they will medically retire him this year?

Curtin played 6% game time today, bringing his average time on ground down to 31% over 4 games. He can't be happy with his situation there.

If he was to ask for a trade this year how much is too much to give for him?

1st rounder from the Hawks for Curtin and a 2nd rounder?
The 2+23 for 4+Curtin?

hawks pick pick may be enough. I get that we don’t want to overpay but if we rate him whilst he is under contract, we may need to give that up. For a pick 23, or slightly higher, I’d keep him if I was crows.

Thats reality.

Graham plays as a defensive mid. It’ll let Yeo/Harley/Tk be more attacking. Currently we use Yeo as defensive sweeper at centre bounce - see Yeo’s starting position on defensive side when Harley wins the clearance and handballs it forward Q1 v GCS.

Ginbey was playing that role, but looks locked in down back, and you don’t want to give it to a 1st year player or high end talent like a Hewett or Draper/Smith etc

Graham would mean Yeo spends less time on defensive side of stoppage and Duggan plays back, by far his better position.

Graham would play the same role as Rowbottom at Swans letting Heeney and Warner off the chain.

Graham unlocks our mids and strengthens our backline.

Its 450K well spent.
Duggan has played his best games this year as an inside mid. His kicking is way too trash nowadays to be a half back flanker. Just let him play the role when we need it.

Also Yeo should be able to play that role. His attributes are actually best suited to that role.

We have far far greater needs than a defensive mid.

Then you don’t have Duggan in his best position, and I argue that Duggan is not better as a defensive mid than Graham and is more often than not a liability in the midfield.
Richmond fans say exactly those things about graham. Duggan has been much better than graham this year.

Duggan can’t kick. He can’t play as a half back flanker in the modern game.

As unscientific as it is, reading the comments on the board of the player’s existing club is a better way of getting an idea of their role and importance than the views of the receiving club’s supporters.

Overall they seem pretty happy that he’s leaving. Not Rotham leaving via FA happy, but happy all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back