List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on Graham playing in the 1s . I just don't know if he is worth it .

But...... if we have cap which must be spent to hit 95% especially if barrass goes what do we do with it ?

Yeo has Re-signed

Target English

Bring in Baker

If paying Graham some extra money to fudge the system and get Baker cheaper in draft capital im all for it .

Graham plays some afl , plays some wafl teaches the kids . Him and Baker have a wealth of experience.
Yeah if it’s part of work around to get baker than I would be very fine with that.

I'm with you on Graham playing in the 1s . I just don't know if he is worth it .

But...... if we have cap which must be spent to hit 95% especially if barrass goes what do we do with it ?

Yeo has Re-signed

Target English

Bring in Baker

If paying Graham some extra money to fudge the system and get Baker cheaper in draft capital im all for it .

Graham plays some afl , plays some wafl teaches the kids . Him and Baker have a wealth of experience.
Offer Perryman and Cumming more money than any other club. Neither would be keeping a young player out and both are good players.

Well Graham did in in their premiership years - alongside Martin, Cotchin et al. And in fact other teams have had similar players to Graham fill those roles - Josh Caddy was 1 I remember but I'm sure there are others who rotate through and have done a similar unheralded job.
I do however accept for Graham that was 5 or 6 years ago and things change over time.

I know the jury is out on Hewitt and maybe even Reid to a certain degree, but I think Yeo and Kelly can he classified as A grade mids so WC are nearly there in your 4 x A or B+ players.

I also think you're viewing this situation as Graham taking the spot of someone who deserves to play therefore denying WC the opportunity to select the number of quality mids you indicate they should have. I don't see it like this, I see it as adding to the options they have. Certainly I and many others would see him as a better midfield option than say Culley, Petrecelle and Duggan who have run through there this year.

And with a high pick this year and probably next year as well and the fact WC have indicated they are looking for mids, means they will likely focus on those and get the pick of the crop. If like Reid, they come ready to play round 1 then excellent. If like most they play a few games and are in and out of team till they get bigger and stronger after a several preseasons, then Graham (& Baker) can fill those gaps in the meantime.
Graham was not in Richmond’s main four mids in 2020. He was like 8th most played at CBAs hahaha. Even back then he wasn’t near it.

Pretty sure WCE_phil said we won't have 2/3 and 23/24 so no Curtin
Be interesting to see what gets leaked but I would be seriously disappointed if this was related to Curtin and even Warner.

It would peek my interest if this was part of three way deal already being organised, to which I hope we come out like bandits.

Otherwise it’s still very early and can be very real nothing ever comes from it. The season is boring and I really want to just hit trade and draft period now.

Because we have a limited amount of spots on the list? We cant just waste list spots on below average players from wooden spoon teams. If we are choosing between adding Graham who adds very minimal over keeping a young guy I choose the young guy.

The young guy taken with pick 100.

Who adds very little and instead takes up resources and gets delisted in two years.

You keep ignoring that little bit of the story.

Who are these 10 that could be moved on? Would love to hear that. Currently we only have 12 out of contract.
Have you not been in this thread for the last few weeks? Theyve been listed multiple times.
Sheed and Jamo are candidates for being paid out.
Remember Barrass is probably going, and if we get English we may lose BW, plus other players may request a trade.
Thats 2 right there.
I would be fine with picking up graham if we pay out sheed. I just highly doubt we will do that.

AFL standard is generous. There’s a reason why a bottom of the ladder team don’t care if he goes. We have a better players that can play that role.
Graham is no worse a player than he was 4 years ago when he was in a premiership side.
Hes better than every single one of the guys on the delist pile, who we have been playing for years.
Any improvement on the list is a good thing
We need to be drafting more than four players. We are at the start of a rebuild ffs.
We dont have that many picks lmao, Graham is significantly more valuable than some kid taken with pick 80 who never plays a game for us.

Literally any random excuse you can think of lol, try to think of a few more

He was a defender in a team where he could focus on the lock down role. He was playing with Jetta and hurn who had the offensive duties. Now he is expected to be the rebounder which he can’t do because he can’t kick.

The game has changed and the requirement for elite skills out of the backline has only increased.

If you don’t rate Duggan as a defensive mid that’s fine. I don’t think he is that good. But he is better than graham. Even if you want to play Duggan back we can just play yeo as the sweeper.

Players that rotate into the middle have to be able to play another position. Again graham can’t do this.

It’s not a spanner in the works it’s just another small poor decision that adds up.
Yeo is our BEST clearance midfielder, why on earth would we make him be the defensive sweeper LOL

Graham was not in Richmond’s main four mids in 2020. He was like 8th most played at CBAs hahaha. Even back then he wasn’t near it.
2020 is a weird year to use, it was Dusty, Cotchin and Bolton as the 3 then a splattering of about 5 others who all did bits of it, presumably as a few of them were injury affected

So we complained that the Pieman would not draft true mids. Like Old Mother Hubbard found out in 2023, the cupboard was bare. It was a harsh reality

Now there are parts bitching we might get Graham for free and he is a genuine mid

People love that Yeo is there to support Harley and then bitch that our backup plan is floored.

So far in our acquisition of mids we have Hewett who may or may not have feet issues, Chesser who is an elite athlete but has shown SFA ability to read play and get engaged and Ginbey who has shone when we send him to the hbf role

Before we have petticoats going up in flames, why would Graham not fit in our best 8 midfielders?

There are a some weird sentiments being expressed at the moment

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With there being a bit of a blanket over the top handful of mids in the draft, we would essentially be getting him for pick 23.
Any of Smillie, FOS, Draper or Smith would be good for us

We could do far worse
Depends how you view those 4 and which are left at 4. If you view them all the same, then sure. From what I’ve heard and read on here, Jagga and Draper are putting runs on the board consistently at the moment, and the other 2 are not. If Jagga is gone, I wouldn’t trade back with Adelaide. Of course it all depends how the club’s recruiters see it.

Pretty sure WCE_phil said we won't have 2/3 and 23/24 so no Curtin

I think until Barrass is gone, it’d be highly likely we were seriously considering looking to split the pick with either Freo or Gold Coast. However, assuming we acquire Hawthorn’s first, you’d imagine the likelihood of splitting would decrease drastically. Get the top tier mid at 2-3, and still have the ability to take BPA at 10 or wherever it ends up being.

There’s no way we should trade for Curtin.

No one even knows what he is yet (still?).

If we trade for him we need to be clear on what role he would be filling.

Pick 3 and 23 for pick 4 and Curtin.

You wouldnt do? Well the club would and should. Screw the Crows for everything we can.

That 23 will slide out to over 25.

IMO trading out 3 and 23 wont be to the Crows for Curtin.

Have you not been in this thread for the last few weeks? Theyve been listed multiple times.
Sheed and Jamo are candidates for being paid out.
Remember Barrass is probably going, and if we get English we may lose BW, plus other players may request a trade.
Thats 2 right there.

Graham is no worse a player than he was 4 years ago when he was in a premiership side.
Hes better than every single one of the guys on the delist pile, who we have been playing for years.
Any improvement on the list is a good thing

We dont have that many picks lmao, Graham is significantly more valuable than some kid taken with pick 80 who never plays a game for us.

Literally any random excuse you can think of lol, try to think of a few more
Please just admit you haven’t seen Graham play, they are celebrating over on the Richmond board.

So it's basically a given that some Richmond player I've never heard of is coming here, Barrass is off to the Hawks and we're making 10 list changes.

I don't see how this Graham character can fit into a midfield that includes Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Duggan and the developing Hall and Trew and maybe Hewitt. I do see him as potentially playing half forward, but that would require either paying out Cripps to retire early, or losing Ryan for a worthless 2nd round pick.

Where in the hell do we lose 10 players off this list?

The obvious ones are retiring Gaff and delisting JJ which I assume everyone is happy with. Next tier would be delisting Witherden, Cully, and Rotham and Luke Edwards, I'm sure each of those guys have their fans but probably we can live with it. Thats 6 gone. Barrass out makes 7. I struggle to see how we get to 10 without some pain. If English comes here then sure Bailey leaves that gets us to 8. We absolutely should retire Cripps but it's never going to happen. If would be convenient for Darling to retire but we stopped him from getting to 300 and he's been immense at times, particularly against the Suns. So both go on when really one of them [fumbles] needs to make way. Baker hasn't played a game so I guess he's going to be unlucky, 9. Then Sheed medical retirement a year early makes 10.

Trew survives because outside of Reid and Ginbey he looks the most comfortable at the level, I'd sooner delist Chesser frankly but both should be safe. Long and Hewitt stay and who knows what their situations will be next year, essentially non starters for round 1. Hutchinson and Dewar are safe. Rawlinson hasn't shown a heap but is in a position we need going forward and what was the point of drafting him for 1 year. Livingston has shown a heap, go around another year with him. Barnett and Jamison have contracts. Thats about it really.

Pick up a best mid at 3, Luke Trainor with the Barrass pick, Champion with a matched bid and 1-2 2nd rounders. Maybe top up the rookie list as well. Bring in Graham and Baker, miss English and get stuck with Flynn and the Williams twins for another year.

Goodbye: Barrass, Gaff, Sheed, Cripps, Witherden, Rotham, Luke Edwards, Cully, JJ, Baker.
Hello: Baker, Graham, pick 3, 10, 20x 20x 30x Champion. Rookie, Rookie

Best 22 round 1 2025.

FF: Ryan, Waterman, Dewar
HF: Baker, Allen, Graham
C: Maric, Kelly, Hunt
HB: Ginbey, McGovern, Duggan
FB: Hough, Edwards, Cole
Fol: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
Int: Hewitt, J Williams, Johnston, Trew
Sub: Pick 3

Notable depth: Bazzo, B Williams, A Reid, Chesser, Darling, Hall, Hutchinson, Livingston, Barnett, Champion, Rawlinson, Jaimison Picks 10 through 4th round, new rookies.

Personally I think unless its to say goodbye to 2 of the 3 senior players who have contracts for 2025 then cutting 10 players from this list is a bit much, but I could live with the above quite comfortably. Not super keen on English, reckon we just take our lumps and persist with Flynn, Bailey, Jilliams. Flynn can work if he gets his body right, J Williams may yet be our best ruck and Bailey I think is far too maligned, he's still improving- for instance his contested marking in general play has significantly improved the last few weeks- and actually has yet to be given any chance at all up forward. Don't think we are getting a pick high enough for a guy who is as durable and combative as Bailey. New coaching panel has more than enough work to do improving this team with without us needing to immediately return to being the premier tap ruck division in the AFL and Tim English isn't solving that issue besides.

Pick 3 and 23 for pick 4 and Curtin.

You wouldnt do? Well the club would and should. Screw the Crows for everything we can.

That 23 will slide out to over 25.

IMO trading out 3 and 23 wont be to the Crows for Curtin.
I'm in the 'wait and see' camp on Curtin but if we're prepared to do 23 for Baker we're prepared to do 23 for Curtin

Please just admit you haven’t seen Graham play, they are celebrating over on the Richmond board.
I dont care what theyre doing.

Hes still best 22 for them. He is an upgrade on every single one of our guys we are considering delisting. He brings leadership. Hes an age that we lack on the list.

In 3 years unless we recruit a mature age mid from elsewhere Graham would be our only midfielder on the list older than Chesser who will be 24 and might not even be on the list if he doesnt work out

And plenty are saying he's a solid role player with plenty to offer. Quality person on and off field and leader. Something we need around so many kids.

They are happy because they may get pick 22 band 3 if we pay enough. What will be interesting is how the club goes with Dusty, Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton all looking elsewhere. And several other over 30's retiring or on their last legs.

But you read into that whatever you want to.........

Who cares if they’re celebrating.

If he gives us a big body, and consistent games while being the defensive midfield in rotations and costs nothing you do it?

As long as his attitude is Priddis like it can only help the group. We lack any real depth as a midfield group. Too many sensitive souls, step back and reflect what the genuine needs are on the list and it’s a no brainer.

Best 22 round 1 2025.

FF: Ryan, Waterman, Dewar
HF: Baker, Allen, Graham
C: Maric, Kelly, Hunt
HB: Ginbey, McGovern, Duggan
FB: Hough, Edwards, Cole
Fol: Flynn, Yeo, Reid
Int: Hewitt, J Williams, Johnston, Trew
Sub: Pick 3

Notable depth: Bazzo, B Williams, A Reid, Chesser, Darling, Hall, Hutchinson, Livingston, Barnett, Champion, Rawlinson, Jaimison Picks 10 through 4th round, new rookies.
you forgot Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back