List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cripps is fading in and out of games but is still an important cog.

He can be replaced so easily it's not funny. Robert and Brent Harvey could of both played until they reached 500 games and been good for 20 possessions a game or more, you can always say these old boys are still getting the football even though they've lost a step or two but that's what 250 games experience gets you. We have an abundance of kids who could fill that role. To start maybe they are even a step backwards. You don't get through the 100 games AFL experience we want in as many of these kids as possible by sitting them on the sidelines because a 33 year old can still play to 85% of his previous capability.

Edit: Like seriously, where do you play these 2nd and 3rd year players like Long, Brockman, Dewar and others when the forward line is chock full of senior players. Darling, Allen, Waterman, Ryan, Cripps, B/J Williams. And we're adding potentially 2 Richmond players who probably fit best at half forward too. Playing Cripps in that mix over quality young kids is diabolical.

I dont care what theyre doing.

Hes still best 22 for them. He is an upgrade on every single one of our guys we are considering delisting. He brings leadership. Hes an age that we lack on the list.

In 3 years unless we recruit a mature age mid from elsewhere Graham would be our only midfielder on the list older than Chesser who will be 24 and might not even be on the list if he doesnt work out
And plenty are saying he's a solid role player with plenty to offer. Quality person on and off field and leader. Something we need around so many kids.

They are happy because they may get pick 22 band 3 if we pay enough. What will be interesting is how the club goes with Dusty, Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton all looking elsewhere. And several other over 30's retiring or on their last legs.

But you read into that whatever you want to.........
Who cares if they’re celebrating.

If he gives us a big body, and consistent games while being the defensive midfield in rotations and costs nothing you do it?

As long as his attitude is Priddis like it can only help the group. We lack any real depth as a midfield group. Too many sensitive souls, step back and reflect what the genuine needs are on the list and it’s a no brainer.
If he makes our 22 we’re ****ed. If it’s part of a Baker trade I’m fine with it. If not I’ll vomit. Giving a competitor 22 for baker would be horrid.

If he makes our 22 we’re ****ed. If it’s part of a Baker trade I’m fine with it. If not I’ll vomit. Giving a competitor 22 for baker would be horrid.
If we lose Elliot Yeo we're ****ed. Look at Baker and Graham like Jayden Hunt - 2 to 3 year plays that fill roles that will soon be vacated by retirements / age while the kids are developing.

LOL its not like hes going to be a permanent fixture until he retires. Hes just filling a role while the squad is so young.

Trade Out (2): Barrass (Hawthorn- Picks 10,26), B Williams (F3)
Trade In (1) : Baker (F2)
FA (2) : English, Graham

Draft picks (5) - 3,10,23,26,59(Champion)
Picks for 2025 -
F1,2xF3,F4

Overall - 3 new players in, 2 players out, minimum 5 draft picks

Need to delist minimum 7 players -
Gaff, Rotham, Jones, L Edwards, Sheed (medical retirement- foot)

Plus 2* of Trew, Culley, Rawlinson, Baker (all rookies), Burgiel or Witherden

*Add one more of this group for each additional player you want traded in or draft/rookie pick used

By finishing 16th/17th and trading Barrass the club is bringing in another 2 quality first rounders after having drafted Reid, Ginbey and Hewitt, found a best 22 player in Maric via midseason draft, and made out like bandits with late picks J Williams, Hough and Long. This is a thorough rebuild via the draft that should be the envy of any non-expansion club.

Harry Edwards is going to be trusted to replace a premiership fullback.

We have A grade talent on the list in Reid, Yeo, Kelly, McGovern, Allen and Waterman. 3 in the middle, 2 in attack, 1 in defence- that is an enviable distribution of your 6 best players.

We have solid role players and premiership players in Duggan and Cole going around.

We have veterans Jack Darling and Jamie Cripps holding their spots in the 22.

And we've already traded in quality depth in Hunt, Brockman and Flynn. If we add Graham and Baker to this list that further addresses this middle part of the list. If we add English ontop of that we basically have the most well rounded list profile of any club going around.

Clearly Pyke is not satisfied with the notion some on here have that we're going to be a nothing side for another 5 years before playing finals again. We have drafted for the future but also we have enough mature players to also be contending.

Every side is a mix of old and young. Every side has strengths and weaknesses. As it stands now, and certainly as it will stand round one 2025, there is basically no side in the competition that we should not back ourselves in against if we play 4 quarters of football. And getting us to play those 4 quarters of football consistently is the only thing that needs fixing with this football side.

We should expect to challenge for finals next year. With the likes of Sydney falling back to the pack, the shitness of reigning premiers Collingwood, the losing streaks of Brisbane and Port early in the season, the falling apart of Carlton, Essendon and Fremantle, the rise of Hawthorn... we should simply put no limit at all on where we finish in 2025. Especially since we should get the easier draw we deserved this year.

Just embrace the fact that the AFL is now a competition where 1st can fall to 18th and 18th can rise to 1st in the space of 12 months because it's basically true.

Think it might be important to get that second rounder in the barrass deal so we can bundle it with our second rounder and get back into the first round. It would give us 3 first rounders, maybe pick 23 and 26 for 11 from Gold Coast. And I only say this because if Champions keeps putting in these performances at league level and has a good combined someone may bid on him and they will take our pick 23 anyway.

Pick 3 Draper
Pick 10 Travaglia
Pick 11 Moreas/Allan/Lindsay

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think it might be important to get that second rounder in the barrass deal so we can bundle it with our second rounder and get back into the first round. It would give us 3 first rounders, maybe pick 23 and 26 for 11 from Gold Coast. And I only say this because if Champions keeps putting in these performances at league level and has a good combined someone may bid on him and they will take our pick 23 anyway.

Pick 3 Draper
Pick 10 Travaglia
Pick 11 Moreas/Allan/Lindsay

Love it because I’m very keen on Travaglia. Other option is 10 and 22 for GC 6 if the intel is he won’t be there plus talk is he is moving up in a big way or we love another mid/fwd.

3- Draper/FOS
6- Lalor/Langford/Reid/Travaglia
26- Davis/Oliver

Graham was not in Richmond’s main four mids in 2020. He was like 8th most played at CBAs hahaha. Even back then he wasn’t near it.

He came second in the Richmond B&F in 2021… No surprise it was when a lot of higher ranked mids were injured and he had to step up.

Is a 2 time premiership player who only missed the 3rd because of a serious shoulder injury in the prelim.

Is he going to keep Harley Reid out of the side - of course not, no-one is claiming he is that good. But ‘not AFL quality’ is clearly factually incorrect.

What I do like about both the Baker and Graham profiles is they can play a few different positions. Baker especially (gut feel is we look to use him as we do Ryan, mostly forward but the odd stint in the middle when we need it).

If we recruit a player who becomes fringe over time that is a great result. See Witherden as an example. OK in our current situation but we rightfully expect young players to go past him as they improve.

I like Chad Warner but his form at the start of the season was an outlier, not his normal. Shouldn’t sell the farm for him.
Chad Warner rankings on a per game basis
48 in possessions
119 in tackles
10 in inside 50's
31 in goal assists

82 in contested touches
35 in meters gained
7 in score involvements
1st in total goals for midfielders

Chad is an attacking midfielder who predominantly relies on others to do the dirty work. I'd like him in our team, but i'd be worried that those rankings in bold would drop right off in team that isn't dominating (like they have in Sydney's recent dry spell).

Definitely no selling of the farm for him given where we are in our rebuild.

He came second in the Richmond B&F in 2021… No surprise it was when a lot of higher ranked mids were injured and he had to step up.

Is a 2 time premiership player who only missed the 3rd because of a serious shoulder injury in the prelim.

Is he going to keep Harley Reid out of the side - of course not, no-one is claiming he is that good. But ‘not AFL quality’ is clearly factually incorrect.

What I do like about both the Baker and Graham profiles is they can play a few different positions. Baker especially (gut feel is we look to use him as we do Ryan, mostly forward but the odd stint in the middle when we need it).

If we recruit a player who becomes fringe over time that is a great result. See Witherden as an example. OK in our current situation but we rightfully expect young players to go past him as they improve.

Graham isn't keeping a Ledwards/Petrol/Chesser/Trew out of our side moving forward. Their shitness is keeping them out of the side (i say that as someone who had high hopes for Petrol and Chesser especially but they just aren't up to it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By finishing 16th/17th and trading Barrass the club is bringing in another 2 quality first rounders after having drafted Reid, Ginbey and Hewitt, found a best 22 player in Maric via midseason draft, and made out like bandits with late picks J Williams, Hough and Long. This is a thorough rebuild via the draft that should be the envy of any non-expansion club.

Harry Edwards is going to be trusted to replace a premiership fullback.

We have A grade talent on the list in Reid, Yeo, Kelly, McGovern, Allen and Waterman. 3 in the middle, 2 in attack, 1 in defence- that is an enviable distribution of your 6 best players.

We have solid role players and premiership players in Duggan and Cole going around.

And we've already traded in quality depth in Hunt, Brockman and Flynn. If we add Graham and Baker to this list that further addresses this middle part of the list. If we add English ontop of that we basically have the most well rounded list profile of any club going around.

Clearly Pyke is not satisfied with the notion some on here have that we're going to be a nothing side for another 5 years before playing finals again. We have drafted for the future but also we have enough mature players to also be contending.

Every side is a mix of old and young. Every side has strengths and weaknesses. As it stands now, and certainly as it will stand round one 2025, there is basically no side in the competition that we should not back ourselves in against if we play 4 quarters of football. And getting us to play those 4 quarters of football consistently is the only thing that needs fixing with this football side.

We should expect to challenge for finals next year. With the likes of Sydney falling back to the pack, the shitness of reigning premiers Collingwood, the losing streaks of Brisbane and Port early in the season, the falling apart of Carlton, Essendon and Fremantle, the rise of Hawthorn... we should simply put no limit at all on where we finish in 2025. Especially since we should get the easier draw we deserved this year.

Just embrace the fact that the AFL is now a competition where 1st can fall to 18th and 18th can rise to 1st in the space of 12 months because it's basically true.

Love the optimism.

And I dont think our list will be crappy for another 2 or 3 seasons and we have made progress.

But finals next year wont happen.

People do forget that the top teams also get older and weaker, and drop down.

Graham isn't keeping a Ledwards/Petrol/Chesser/Trew out of our side moving forward. Their shitness is keeping them out of the side (i say that as someone who had high hopes for Petrol and Chesser especially but they just aren't up to it)

Agreed for the most part. Chesser whilst frustrating still has a little time before being written off.

Needs to be tried across a few positions in the WAFL to see where he is best. May be another HBF which is fine, may end up inside (the dream) or may be a 20 possession winger which is perfectly acceptable nowadays (30+ possession wingmen are rare in the current game).

Or, he may not make it…

Doesnt a player need to be better and offer more than others to get a game?

It isnt their fault the others need to get better to knock them out of the team. And if they lift the bar to higher standards they are doing their jobs and earning their money.

If the kids and others can start out performing a multiple premiershio player that is heading in the right direction.

And we've already traded in quality depth in Hunt, Brockman and Flynn. If we add Graham and Baker to this list
I like your positivity however I view things a bit differently.

Reid - a chance to head back over east after every Victorian team throws the cheque book at him
Yeo - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Kelly - old and won't play in our next premiership team
McGovern - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Allen - very good but injury prone
Waterman - will be gone next year if we don't bump his pay up to $800k plus
Duggan - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Cole - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Darling - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Hunt - good pick up. Depth at best though
Brockman - shown nothing to suggest he can stay in the side
Flynn - injury prone
Graham - will be 27 and more than likely won't play in our next premiership team
Baker - will be 27 and more than likely won't play in our next premiership team

Our list is teetering on the edge and if we don't nail the next three drafts, we're in a world of hurt once Tassie arrives.

It's telling that Cox, Graham and Carr (all WA boys) have declined to even apply for the coaching position whereas normally there would be a line out the door of peeps trying to get in.

Sure but I doubt they come . Other clubs closer to a flag will offer massive coin too
I haven’t seen them linked to anyone we couldn’t comfortably beat $$& wise, particularly if the Hawks take Barrass. Nick Haynes another big game in the 2s playing good footy still and is an UFA and would be great to have at the club filling an area of need.

I like your positivity however I view things a bit differently.

Reid - a chance to head back over east after every Victorian team throws the cheque book at him
Yeo - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Kelly - old and won't play in our next premiership team
McGovern - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Allen - very good but injury prone
Waterman - will be gone next year if we don't bump his pay up to $800k plus
Duggan - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Cole - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Darling - old and won't play in our next premiership team
Hunt - good pick up. Depth at best though
Brockman - shown nothing to suggest he can stay in the side
Flynn - injury prone
Graham - will be 27 and more than likely won't play in our next premiership team
Baker - will be 27 and more than likely won't play in our next premiership team

Our list is teetering on the edge and if we don't nail the next three drafts, we're in a world of hurt once Tassie arrives.

It's telling that Cox, Graham and Carr (all WA boys) have declined to even apply for the coaching position whereas normally there would be a line out the door of peeps trying to get in.

So thats looking at who we have now and what may happen over the next 3 to 4 years.

What about players being added?

Of course it looks glum when you list all the players who will likely regress or retire in the next 3 to 4 years without balancing that with players we will draft and trade in.

Would there?

I don't recall a heap of applicants when Simmo got appointed, at least not publicly.

I'd say it's more that Cox and Carr have other reasons to stay, which have been discussed fairly publicly and relate to their families and likely promotions to senior coach at their current clubs.

Graham's possibly already discussed with Pyke and perhaps doesn't feel comfortable with the KPIs expected of the role.

Then there's also the chatter that it's better for senior assistants to not apply for the role and get knocked back, so I assume most of the candidates will go through a preliminary discussion before deciding whether it's worth the chance or not.

So thats looking at who we have now and what may happen over the next 3 to 4 years.

What about players being added?

Of course it looks glum when you list all the players who will likely regress or retire in the next 3 to 4 years without balancing that with players we will draft and trade in.
Obviously it's dependent on who we draft over the coming years however my point was for the perilous position our list is in.

If it hits the fan, we could only have Allen out of that list who survives. Best case it will be Allen, Waterman, Reid with back up from Baker as a 31yo. The rest shouldn't really be on a list that is serious about competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back