List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooper Hynes continues to strengthen as a top 20 draft candidate. He started the season extremely raw as a midfielder, but his stoppage craft has come a long way since then and he's now capable of some really clean and damaging extractions either by hand or with a bust of speed through traffic. In recent weeks there have been many moments where he's shown how team oriented and unselfish he is, as demonstrated in this game where when presented with a chance to pad his stat sheet with fourth goal he instead handed the ball off to a teammate in the goal square.

100% if we get a first for TB and maybe another for Flyin. Ain’t no way we split unless it’s for 2 within the top 10 and we rate one of those above who is expected to get to us at 2/3.
If we lose both barrass and Ryan in the off season we go backwards next season IMO

I would rather keep barass than ryan but I wouldn't want to extend barrass contract which makes it tricky.

Ryan is expendable especially after 3 hamstring surgeries but we also have young indigenous boys who need guidance and Kelly is getting old . Also a tricky one .

We could probably go to the afl and say we need a priority pick otherwise we have to sell players like ryan to bring in talent and go backwards.

Barrass is gone in my opinion. We won't be extending him so he will take one of those 5 year deals .

Get what we can and draft another genuine KPP .

Pick 10 + 27 from hawks

Pick 10 Xavier Lindsay

Pick 27 Kayle Gerreyn

The same people who want Max Knobel were saying it was good we gave Harry Barnett a 2 year deal also... Both contradict each other really
If that is levelled at me, I was happy to extend Barnett as I see him as a KPD and have been advocating he is not a ruck. He played that role in some 2021 bottom age games and looked good

Nice to see you coming into a room with all guns blazing and you quickly shoot yourself in the foot

If we lose both barrass and Ryan in the off season we go backwards next season IMO

I would rather keep barass than ryan but I wouldn't want to extend barrass contract which makes it tricky.

Ryan is expendable especially after 3 hamstring surgeries but we also have young indigenous boys who need guidance and Kelly is getting old . Also a tricky one .

We could probably go to the afl and say we need a priority pick otherwise we have to sell players like ryan to bring in talent and go backwards.

Barrass is gone in my opinion. We won't be extending him so he will take one of those 5 year deals .

Get what we can and draft another genuine KPP .

Pick 10 + 27 from hawks

Pick 10 Xavier Lindsay

Pick 27 Kayle Gerreyn
I get that it's handy to have a player mentor for the indigenous boys but don't forget Chance Bateman works at the club in a role purely for this.

Kelly's still got 2-3 years left also and the younger kids look like they're just a general part of the young group also, so they have plenty of support there too.

Also, Malakai won't be coming into an unfamiliar environment either.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we chased both Knobel and Brodie. Brodie is being wasted at WAFL level and would be best 22 for us easily. Only 25 yrs of age and dominant at WAFL and very good in 2022 for Freo at AFL level. Cleary on the wrong side of Longmuir so needs a fresh start.

A big upgrade on Trew, Sheed, Gaff and Culley who have all played in that centre square at times over the last few years.

Added to that is Ginbey going down back and looking really comfortable. Let him settle there for the time being.

Would cost a lot less than a Baker for example and probably make a similar impact for us, all be it a different type of player.

Isn’t the knock on Brodie that he doesn’t run both ways?

Feels like that’s enough of a problem for us as it is.

I just can't see why we would not want access to one of Draper Jagar FOS in the top 3.

I am still in the camp that we hold our top selection no matter what.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Gettable showed why you do it. When did Cal look so indecisive that he had 10 prospects in August as possible no 1 prospects?

One of those in the top 10 Cal mentioned plus a player at say 12 to 14 that is pretty close in value to the top 10 is more valuable when you have the holes in the list we have. Might be different if we knew Hewett’s foot comes good and that Ginbey will make it as a mid

Don’t get me wrong, the deal has to have at least 1 in the top 10 and another very close to it

I tend to agree but to his defence he has had very little opportunity at AFL level for the Crows. I don't know what they are doing with him and their supporters don't seem to know either.

The level of anxiety over this kid is pretty hilarious. He's checks notes again 197cm..... Has 100% played with a knee injury this year, and was started in Defence in the SANFL. Was given 2 games in the seniors and looked a little behind with the speed of the game because checks notes again.. he's 197cm...

Big lads always take a little longer. We've switched him into midfield, and sure it might look a little frustrating for supporters seeing him injected into the game with only 4 mins to go, but we were in with a sniff against Geelong, and Crouch was likely told to play until he was cooked.

My guess is that he'll either start this weekend in the seniors, or be given full minutes in the SANFL.

Seems like every year I have arguments about not splitting our pick lol.
I just think while you are down you need to get the absolute cream of the crop. Plenty of time for teens picks as we move up the ladder.

If we can trade Barrass for a top 10 pick and Darling for a 3rd it is even less reason to trade pick 2/3.
A draft haul of 2,10, 23, 38 + Champion would be huge.

Out: F2 (Baker), Darling, Barrass, Rotham, Witherden, Gaff, Burgiel, Jones, Ledwards, Trew, Rawlinson
In: English, Baker, Graham, Draper, (Reid/Lalor/TT), Oliver, Gerryn, Champion + Rookie

Thats 10 out and 9 in. Would be almost a qtr of our list, no need for for further splitting of picks.

The second sentence is crap. He has played 2 WAFL games all year. Im not moving away from Pick 3 to pick 9 for a WAFL reserves ruck

What a dumb post.

Really dumb.

The deal moving on pick 3 was to land 3 other 1st round picks.

Knoble was the steak knives suggested.

Knoble is not the reason for trading pick 3. It never was. And it's disengenuous to post suggesting it was.

Remembering that every club has 17 and soon to be 18 competitors, in what world would a club not call out Levi Ashcroft as the number 1 pick?

2019 - nobody close to no 1 but at 9, SOS does the right thing to keep the Purples honest (and probably pissed off the Purples had just taken Young then Serong before his pick). Not knowing what he now wanted, SOS went again on Tom Green until he could get the right premium from the Suns ✅

2020 - Crows did it with the Dogs ✅

2021 - Norf got ahead of themselves and stroked Horny Frank’s ego meaning the Pies were able to effectively keep the pick that got them a Norm Smith medallist. And Norf look the fools for thinking HornyFrank was close to Daicos in value. Oh and HornyFrank has since proven he was not able to cope with the No 1 mantle meaning he felt entitled and asked to go home ❌

2022 - GWS are a foundation member of the Northern Academies Mafia so were looking after the Lions plus wanting to save face for overpaying to get pick 1 for a player who was not even top 4 and yet not even asking about Will Ashcroft. At least Norf learnt a lesson and asked at 2. ❌

2023 - nobody close to HR as number 1 and fair to say Harley can handle the tag. Norf should have called Walter at 2 but I suggest they had a side agreement with the Suns from their pick swapping

Richmond have been good at bidding on Brisbane’s prospects and I hope they do it again with Will. He would be very worthy taking at 1 and there is no other stand out like there was last year

Why would every other club not want the club tipped to be in consecutive GF appearances paying the maximum for pointy end talent. Oh and a haul of Ashcroft and Marshall will be an excellent outcome this year. Surely we want them in a massive deficit next year to push back their picks big time

Yeah totally feels like other clubs don't want to bid on FS etc purely to avoid getting it back the other way. It's pretty weak to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooper Hynes continues to strengthen as a top 20 draft candidate. He started the season extremely raw as a midfielder, but his stoppage craft has come a long way since then and he's now capable of some really clean and damaging extractions either by hand or with a bust of speed through traffic. In recent weeks there have been many moments where he's shown how team oriented and unselfish he is, as demonstrated in this game where when presented with a chance to pad his stat sheet with fourth goal he instead handed the ball off to a teammate in the goal square.

This kid reminds me of Yeo.

Solid core and legs. Looks like a no nonsense mid. 190cm.

If that is levelled at me, I was happy to extend Barnett as I see him as a KPD and have been advocating he is not a ruck. He played that role in some 2021 bottom age games and looked good

Nice to see you coming into a room with all guns blazing and you quickly shoot yourself in the foot
Don Knotts.gif

Last edited:
There’s a few key question marks I think we have heading into this draft:
1. Will Elijah Hewett overcome his foot issues to become and important part of our midfield
2. What position does Ryan Maric get developed to play.
3. Are our long term wingmen currently on our list.

I’m confident our long term forward line is essentially done, I think while we’re at the top end of the draft we need to build an elite midfield and with remaining picks we need an elite HBF and to sort out our wingman and then we need to address a reliable weekly ruck and who will be our future CHB.

A pick 10 for Barrass I think opens us up to take best available mid at 3 and then I’d love, in preference, one of travaglia or lindsay although I’m not certain they make it. We can then take a development KPD with our second and perhaps Davis if we get another one via trade although I expect one to go for baker.

At the end of 2025 I’d really love us to bring Judd McVee home as a small defender for us.

Long term team then becomes:

B: Hough Hedwards McVee
HB: Ginbey Travaglia
C: Reid
HF: Long Waterman Hutchinson
F: Jilliams Allen Dewar/champion
R: Draper Hewett

Wings from: Baker or Davis, Maric, Whopper, Chesser

CHB from: Bazzo, Barnett, AReid, 2024R2, Free agency?

Ruck: ?

Isn’t the knock on Brodie that he doesn’t run both ways?

Feels like that’s enough of a problem for us as it is.
I think that’s right but you can find knocks on most players if you look hard enough. He certainly knows how to get his hands on it which is a good start. He would definitely be best 22 for us in my opinion.

The level of anxiety over this kid is pretty hilarious. He's checks notes again 197cm..... Has 100% played with a knee injury this year, and was started in Defence in the SANFL. Was given 2 games in the seniors and looked a little behind with the speed of the game because checks notes again.. he's 197cm...

Big lads always take a little longer. We've switched him into midfield, and sure it might look a little frustrating for supporters seeing him injected into the game with only 4 mins to go, but we were in with a sniff against Geelong, and Crouch was likely told to play until he was cooked.

My guess is that he'll either start this weekend in the seniors, or be given full minutes in the SANFL.
Hey mate what's your boards thoughts on landing both petty and Lukosious this off season ?

That would be a massive coup for your club and most definitely make finals and be in the thick of it .

Both being under 25 atm too so perfect age

Seems like every year I have arguments about not splitting our pick lol.
I just think while you are down you need to get the absolute cream of the crop. Plenty of time for teens picks as we move up the ladder.

If we can trade Barrass for a top 10 pick and Darling for a 3rd it is even less reason to trade pick 2/3.
A draft haul of 2,10, 23, 38 + Champion would be huge.

Out: F2 (Baker), Darling, Barrass, Rotham, Witherden, Gaff, Burgiel, Jones, Ledwards, Trew, Rawlinson
In: English, Baker, Graham, Draper, (Reid/Lalor/TT), Oliver, Gerryn, Champion + Rookie

Thats 10 out and 9 in. Would be almost a qtr of our list, no need for for further splitting of picks.
No point in trading darling for a 3rd as the pick would get eaten up by a bid on malakai champion.

We need 3-4 picks inside 25 then a couple of later picks for champion that will come in higher after academy/father son bid picks get used

If Edward leaves and realises his potential it would really be salt to the wound tryoe scenario. We are desperately in need of decent 24-25 year old in our side that we are even resorting to trash like Jack Graham. Hedwards career is still in limbo. Has looked good in glimpses this year but also has a lot of questionable moments. Thought he was really poor before his concussion on friday
Who was that defender that blossomed at Richmond once Rance left ? Even Emac going down unearthed the best full back of a generation (Gov)
Similar when a big dog moves out the next steps up a la Waterman .

No point in trading darling for a 3rd as the pick would get eaten up by a bid on malakai champion.

We need 3-4 picks inside 25 then a couple of later picks for champion that will come in higher after academy/father son bid picks get used
But that pick is another tool in the toolbox that could be used, or we could trade it in some way, or we could use it for the Champion bid which is why you stockpile later picks.

Adding a free pick for Darling is such found money at this point, you’d have to do it if there was one on offer and he was keen to move.

Remembering that every club has 17 and soon to be 18 competitors, in what world would a club not call out Levi Ashcroft as the number 1 pick?

2019 - nobody close to no 1 but at 9, SOS does the right thing to keep the Purples honest (and probably pissed off the Purples had just taken Young then Serong before his pick). Not knowing what he now wanted, SOS went again on Tom Green until he could get the right premium from the Suns

2020 - Crows did it with the Dogs

2021 - Norf got ahead of themselves and stroked Horny Frank’s ego meaning the Pies were able to effectively keep the pick that got them a Norm Smith medallist. And Norf look the fools for thinking HornyFrank was close to Daicos in value. Oh and HornyFrank has since proven he was not able to cope with the No 1 mantle meaning he felt entitled and asked to go home

2022 - GWS are a foundation member of the Northern Academies Mafia so were looking after the Lions plus wanting to save face for overpaying to get pick 1 for a player who was not even top 4 and yet not even asking about Will Ashcroft. At least Norf learnt a lesson and asked at 2.

2023 - nobody close to HR as number 1 and fair to say Harley can handle the tag. Norf should have called Walter at 2 but I suggest they had a side agreement with the Suns from their pick swapping

Richmond have been good at bidding on Brisbane’s prospects and I hope they do it again with Will. He would be very worthy taking at 1 and there is no other stand out like there was last year

Why would every other club not want the club tipped to be in consecutive GF appearances paying the maximum for pointy end talent. Oh and a haul of Ashcroft and Marshall will be an excellent outcome this year. Surely we want them in a massive deficit next year to push back their picks big time

Yep, particularly when you know they will absolutely match

IMG_6826.JPG

Hey mate what's your boards thoughts on landing both petty and Lukosious this off season ?

That would be a massive coup for your club and most definitely make finals and be in the thick of it .

Both being under 25 atm too so perfect age

Petty has already re-signed at Dees
Lukosius? Not sure where he fits in, and he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his 6 years in the system...

If it's a salary cap dump then maybe, but if there's a high asking price I'd give him a miss tbh

Wonder if the Swans would take a Darling for Sheldrick?

We pay some salary next season.

They are in the flag window and the Swans Reid just retired. They also let Buller go and bring in Darling as depth ready to go if and when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back