List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, it is a best squad of 40 under 22. That said, your point is still valid.

Hough (draft 21) Ginbey (draft 22) and Harley (draft 23). Hewett (draft 22) has shown enough if fit he is in that league.
Yeah, they all get ticks for me as long term players in a finals team in the future.

I think JWill will be in the squad next year. Hopefully no sub and gets the CHF/Ruck role all year.

Not only does he pass the eye test when hes out there, his stats actually compare very well against other key forwards in that squad. Considering the ball struggles to get down there compared to the other players teams (also plays back up ruck which also helps)

Crazy thing is he might actually be our best ruck option next year, not ideal. His work against Witts on the weekend was very good. Don’t have to win the tap but just can’t let them grab it or hit it down a throat of their mids.

I think a lot better evaluation of teams young players compared to how many rising star nominations every team gets.

Adelaide have the Dogs, Port and Sydney to finish. Possible they beat Port but unlikely to win any of them which would have them picking at 4. St kilda have 2 points on them and play Richmond.

Could we manipulate the draft and say we'll take Draper at 3 (which I'd be happy with) or we let him slide to you at 4 if you trade us Curtin for Hawthorn's pick 10? Gives them their gun South Australian mid, removes the Curtin flight risk factor and they save face for trading up to get him. Obviously relies on Richmond and North not picking Draper.

Twomey has Bo Allen in that pick 10 ranking but Curtin is a class above. No idea what the Crows are thinking leaving him disgruntled stuck in the SANFL.
Curtin is probably stuck learning what it's like to be part of the team and not the main man. True KPD stuff in a bad team rather than free-wheeling.

He is class, and gets to the right spots but not if tied up defending. (I don't think he's even all that great overhead like a Barrass or McGovern)

In the WAFL league last year was really just a loose defender, a lot for colts too, & at the champs as a mid was more a receiver than bull 1st possession winner.

Still, I would try and get him over. Pick 10~ this year is on the fence whether we come out on top.
We can in all likelihood net a mid/flanker who will be comparatively the same or even a bit better🤞 and target Curtin next year for a pick in the teens perhaps.

Curtin is probably stuck learning what it's like to be part of the team and not the main man. True KPD stuff in a bad team rather than free-wheeling.

He is class, and gets to the right spots but not if tied up defending. (I don't think he's even all that great overhead like a Barrass or McGovern)

In the WAFL league last year was really just a loose defender, a lot for colts too, & at the champs as a mid was more a receiver than bull 1st possession winner.

Still, I would try and get him over. Pick 10~ this year is on the fence whether we come out on top.
We can in all likelihood net a mid/flanker who will be comparatively the same or even a bit better and target Curtin next year for a pick in the teens perhaps.
Get both curtins next year maybe?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I read somewhere that the new rookie rules state that a player can stay on the rookie list up to 5 years if they’ve played less than 11 games. Seems like an arbitrary number.
I notice Culley has played 12 games (coincidence?) do we have to upgrade him this year seeing as he’s been on the rookie list 2.5yrs?

I think I read somewhere that the new rookie rules state that a player can stay on the rookie list up to 5 years if they’ve played less than 11 games. Seems like an arbitrary number.
Less than 11 means up to 10 games. Makes sense for it to be for development purposes only and not to keep a player on lower wages for longer
I notice Culley has played 12 games (coincidence?) do we have to upgrade him this year seeing as he’s been on the rookie list 2.5yrs?
yeah I believe so

Curtin is clearly a better midfielder than KPD, as evidenced by his standout SANFL games playing mid.

Why on earth would we trade for him just to pigeon-hole him as a KPD? That's exactly where our development has broken down in the past: Trying to put square pegs into round holes.

If we do go for him, he must play mid.

Sure, but he probably costs a 2nd rounder.

Id do it and then trade on BW to whoever but I dont think the bombers do it
Maybe not a R2 but definitely need to trade in a F2 or swap out a player for a good ruck asap. This FA idea flynn/English I don't think moves the dial just makes us feel better in the interim

Well that mega trade period would certainly spin the wheels.

4 1sts in this draft would be list defining. Comments about the best draftee maybe come from later picks it's that even.

Lalor
Travagalia
Bo Allen
Moreas or a tall

Plus Champion

Baker and Graham.

English still a long shot.
I just can't see Champion being anything more than occasionally enigmatic, In the range of late 3rd round or early 4th round I would go after Jaxon Artemis instead.

Bo Allen is a project player and rated too high. Let another club develop him .

I can see Graham as a depth player and as a carrot for Baker but I would not give anything more than pick 23 for him (Baker) .

We should IMO trade Barrass for 2 first rounders and keep our pick 3, elevate Harry Edwards to Barrass spot. Go into the draft with 3, 10, and a 17 or 18. We get Draper or O'Sullivan , Trainor and Travagalia.

Last edited:
I just can't see Champion being anything more than occasionally enigmatic, In the range of late 3rd round or early 4th round I would go after Jaxon Artemis instead.

Bo Allen is a project player and rated too high. Let another club develop him .

I can see Graham as a depth player and as a carrot for Baker but I would not give anything more than pick 23 for him.

We should IMO trade Barrass for 2 first rounders and keep our pick 3, elevate Harry Edwards to Barrass spot. Go into the draft with 3, 10, and a 17 or 18. We get Draper or O'Sullivan , Trainor and Travagalia.

If Trainor could slip to whatever pick we got for Barrass thatd be awesome, id probably take him over Travaglia especially if Ginbey can own that half back role for the rest of the year.
Surely he doesnt last though.

Only KPP currently rated in the top 10 surely somebody takes him

Hey mate what's your boards thoughts on landing both petty and Lukosious this off season ?

That would be a massive coup for your club and most definitely make finals and be in the thick of it .

Both being under 25 atm too so perfect age
Give him time to check his notes...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Trainor could slip to whatever pick we got for Barrass thatd be awesome, id probably take him over Travaglia especially if Ginbey can own that half back role for the rest of the year.

If the Suns don’t trade their first pick for Rioli it will be there for the taking.

If the Saints don’t get the priority pick and don’t need to replace Battle I reckon he will be there at 6. North the only worry or them trading down with the Suns to get him and the Suns up to get ahead of the LL bid.

So Lukosius may be on the move and Crows want to retain their picks this draft.

Eagles F 1st

For Curtin and Crows F2nd?

Crows send our F1st to Suns.

And I don't agree that Curtin is a bust like some knee jerk opinions posted here recently. We were keen for a reason. So was Clarkson. And the Crows knocked back our offer for a reason.

He picked up a knee grumble early in the season and the Crows have been in damage control all season so playing the kids hasn't been high on the coaches agenda.
If the crows are even willing to trade a guy they traded up for a year earlier who is contracted for 2 more, that should be enough of a red flag in itself

If the Suns don’t trade their first pick for Rioli it will be there for the taking.

If the Saints don’t get the priority pick and don’t need to replace Battle I reckon he will be there at 6. North the only worry or them trading down with the Suns to get him and the Suns up to get ahead of the LL bid.
The Suns might trade 11 but I don't see them trading 6 as it would be a free hit before they pick up Lombard

I would not be surprised to see him go as high as 5 or 6 , or possibly slip to 9 or 10 . There are a lot of top line mids in the first round.

The Suns might trade 11 but I don't see them trading 6 as it would be a free hit before they pick up Lombard
Saints would be their worry about bidding on him. They have been very aint academies at higher levels. Not sure the list managers would care though. Saints do have a couple NGAs later in the draft so might just play it safe.

Saints would be their worry about bidding on him. They have been very aint academies at higher levels. Not sure the list managers would care though. Saints do have a couple NGAs later in the draft so might just play it safe.
Clubs should be more ruthless but I'll believe it when I see it. You make a good point though. Trading 6 and keeping 11 would be 'safe' for Gold Coast. I had previously considered the Suns' pick 6 as a target for us as they would only have North to contend with if we gave them pick 3 (Richmond won't play any games with the Suns).

Clubs should be more ruthless but I'll believe it when I see it. You make a good point though. Trading 6 and keeping 11 would be 'safe' for Gold Coast. I had previously considered the Suns' pick 6 as a target for us as they would only have North to contend with if we gave them pick 3 (Richmond won't play any games with the Suns).
If they think the Bid will come before 6, both will be traded. We might able to snare the 11 with 23 and F2 and maybe something back if we wanted as they will want picks for next year. A lot to play out. This is Why if Flyin is going, our hope is the Suns are the team. Can pay some of his $$ as well to get a better pick if they are tight against the cap.

Last edited:
100% we can.

Players don’t come to club and ask for contract reduction if they aren’t living up to it. Like yeo last 5 years.
They can but I don’t believe they will. If a trade package isn’t suitable I think they will give him some extra money and maybe an extra year or at least triggers for them.

Curtin is clearly a better midfielder than KPD, as evidenced by his standout SANFL games playing mid.

Why on earth would we trade for him just to pigeon-hole him as a KPD? That's exactly where our development has broken down in the past: Trying to put square pegs into round holes.

If we do go for him, he must play mid.
Who’s saying to play Curtin as a KPD? I think the whole reason people are interested in him is because he projects as a midfielder…something we’re short on

Ryan won't be traded because for us it just isn't worth it. The most we would get on a trade is a pick in the late 20s. He should be a lot more then that but on the market that's all he will be valued at and that's just crap. Who ever the dumb reporters saying Ryan have rocks in there head. They do need to realise he is contracted till end of 26 and Eagles need to say yes to it. It won't happen. No way we getting peanuts for Ryan. Ryan will be held till end of 2026. If other clubs are offering 3 years. I don't mind us extending his contract for another year considering he is contracted anyhow for another two with us. Make his contract till the end of 2027 and we are doing the same. After that who knows. He is a good player to have around anyhow. This talk of him going for basically nothing back to us is just nonsense crazy talk. Oppo clubs only want him on the cheap and will be lowballing us. Not going to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back