List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan won't be traded because for us it just isn't worth it. The most we would get on a trade is a pick in the late 20s. He should be a lot more then that but on the market that's all he will be valued at and that's just crap. Who ever the dumb reporters saying Ryan have rocks in there head. They do need to realise he is contracted till end of 26 and Eagles need to say yes to it. It won't happen. No way we getting peanuts for Ryan. Ryan will be held till end of 2026. That's he's contract. After that who knows. He is a good player to have around anyhow. This talk of him going for basically nothing back to us is just nonsense crazy talk. Oppo clubs only want him on the cheap and will be lowballing us. Not going to happen.
Will be an interesting one.

Tom Morris has said the Eagles will want Premium Trade compensation which I don’t think he means a pick in the 20s.

Cal has repeatedly said it will cost a fair bit in draft pick/s.

Ryan won't be traded because for us it just isn't worth it. The most we would get on a trade is a pick in the late 20s. He should be a lot more than that but on the market that's all he will be valued at and that's just crap. Who ever the dumb reporters saying Ryan have rocks in there head. They do need to realise he is contracted till end of 26 and Eagles need to say yes to it. It won't happen. No way we getting peanuts for Ryan. Ryan will be held till end of 2026. He is contracted. After that who knows. He is a good player to have around anyhow. This talk of him going for basically nothing back to us is just nonsense crazy talk. Oppo clubs only want him on the cheap and will be lowballing us. Not going to happen.
The club wouldn’t accept a trade for peanuts, as you say he’s contracted. Same as Barrass. What pick would you be prepared to accept if Liam requested a trade?

The club wouldn’t accept a trade for peanuts, as you say he’s contracted. Same as Barrass. What pick would you be prepared to accept if Liam requested a trade?

I rate Ryan pretty highly and think he adds a lot to our side. It won't happen but unless we got a pick around 10. That's what I think he is worth. Is in prime years now. We shouldn't be accepting anything less then. Why should we.

I rate Ryan pretty highly and think he adds a lot to our side. It won't happen but unless we got a pick around 10-15 . That's what I think he is worth. Is in prime years now. We shouldn't be accepting anything less then. Why should we.
And that’s fair enough, some clubs might not rate him that highly (even contracted) but may be prepared to offer a late 1R pick and release a player that can’t get a game. Assuming the ladder stays the same and we agree to pay a portion of Liam’s salary would you agree to either of the following?

GCS: Pick 20 and Davies
FREO: Pick 16 and Knobel

We hold the whip hand and same with Barrass, unless we feel we are getting more than we are losing neither will be traded. I’d listen to the Vic media reports on clubs that are interested, but totally disregard any pick trade suggestion they make.

Pretty clear that Ryan being traded will depend on his own interest in moving, no chance the club will push him out just for a good deal.
Ryan is a required player and is unlikely to be utilised in a trade for our own benefit.
I personally think there's no point trading him at all unless we get a godfather offer.

Yep seen Perth colts and Evans play half a dozen times this year and his u18s games.

I feel the only reason he got in the u18s is because he is part of our NGA .

Not saying he doesn't get drafted but more of a cat B rookie atm .

He certainly doesn't have the talent collard or malakai have .

Not even dewar who has always had silky skills

But he has another season to show his wares but until he improves his kicking and stops just slamming the ball on his boot he won't go up in my opinion
I can't say I've watched him for Perth, but for WA I thought he looked a tantalising prospect as he has some elite traits; leap and agility. I also thought his skills looked really good, kicked a few pearlers.

His ability to dance with speed out of heavy traffic was amazing, I'm super keen to watch him next year. I had him top of my list for F/S and NGA prospects, then Banfield then Walley.

And that’s fair enough, some clubs might not rate him that highly (even contracted) but may be prepared to offer a late 1R pick and release a player that can’t get a game. Assuming the ladder stays the same and we agree to pay a portion of Liam’s salary would you agree to either of the following?

GCS: Pick 20 and Davies
FREO: Pick 16 and Knobel

We hold the whip hand and same with Barrass, unless we feel we are getting more than we are losing neither will be traded. I’d listen to the Vic media reports on clubs that are interested, but totally disregard any pick trade suggestion they make.
I don't think too much of Davies or Knobel so that to me that just looks like pick 16 and steak knifes.

It's a no from me because the price is around pick 10.

I personally would accept something between 16-25 for Liam Ryan. We currently hold 3 and 23. A chance to bring in 10 and 27 for Barrass.

That would leave us with 3, 10, 20 (Ryan trade), 23 and 27.

Would allow us to use one of the picks in the 20s for Baker (potentially the Ryan pick), whilst bringing in 4 top 30 players and Malakai late.

Essentially straight swap Ryan for Baker.

I could see Ryan going to GC if they get Rioli also. GC hold the draft capital to get both easily, and ended up with 4 first round picks due to academy player selections last year. Don't want to lose him though...
If Ryan requested a trade to the Suns I’d be pushing them for the best pick possible and Davies in return for paying all of Ryan’s salary.

Just read another article on Richmond’s draft / trade haul. Must be the 3rd or 4th one I’ve seen in the last couple of days.
Some of the trades are so one sided there laughable.
Latest article from Josh Jenkins.
Rioli + Graham compo to suns for 6+12
Baker + 12 for 3
Bolton for 8+13
Leaving them 1,3,6,8,13,21 + multiple 3rds to consolidate.
Absolutely no chance those trades happen.
Fold Coast do some stupid trades but 6&12 for Rioli has to be one of the most one sided trades I’ve ever heard of. In what planet is he worth that. Seems like a persistent rumour tho.
I’d be absolutely disgusted if we split 3 for Baker and the way Freo trade they aren’t getting 8&13 out of them. It’s worse than a big footy hypothetical.

Feels like North from the last couple of years all over again with a gazillion first round picks.

Barrass > Rioli
Ryan = Baker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan won't be traded because for us it just isn't worth it. The most we would get on a trade is a pick in the late 20s. He should be a lot more then that but on the market that's all he will be valued at and that's just crap. Who ever the dumb reporters saying Ryan have rocks in there head. They do need to realise he is contracted till end of 26 and Eagles need to say yes to it. It won't happen. No way we getting peanuts for Ryan. Ryan will be held till end of 2026. If other clubs are offering 3 years. I don't mind us extending his contract for another year considering he is contracted anyhow for another two with us. Make his contract till the end of 2027 and we are doing the same. After that who knows. He is a good player to have around anyhow. This talk of him going for basically nothing back to us is just nonsense crazy talk. Oppo clubs only want him on the cheap and will be lowballing us. Not going to happen.

We need to look to the future. Not the past.

Ryan has a flag. Has Mark of the year. Has had injury concerns. Not sure if he has the passion and commitment to push through a rebuild.

Better to get another top 30 pick. Open up a spot and use that weekly selection developing our next premiership half forward.

Or we keep him and get two or three years of ok output and an odd highlight.

I personally would accept something between 16-25 for Liam Ryan. We currently hold 3 and 23. A chance to bring in 10 and 27 for Barrass.

That would leave us with 3, 10, 20 (Ryan trade), 23 and 27.

Would allow us to use one of the picks in the 20s for Baker (potentially the Ryan pick), whilst bringing in 4 top 30 players and Malakai late.

Essentially straight swap Ryan for Baker.

I would squeal if we had those 5 picks in the 30s, I would cry from sadness though if we basically swapped Ryan for Baker.

Would a 3-club trade where essentially the swap would be Ryan for Baker be fair to all parties?

Personally I see them as equal in value.

I'd hate to lose Ryan as you need players to kick a winning score however if we're to get Baker in we're going to need to give up something of value.

Not keen to hand over draft pick/s for Baker however Baker by himself is going to cost us our 2nd rounder at best.

Dead against the idea of any trade where we're splitting our 1st for him.

Gonna be hard to make these big trades happen if our list manager keeps ignoring manager phone calls. Apparently starting to put quite a few offside.

Hopefully its because they are about ordinary players or low ball picks, and we have bigger fish to fry.

Would a 3-club trade where essentially the swap would be Ryan for Baker be fair to all parties?

Not keen to hand over draft pick/s for Baker however Baker by himself is going to cost us our 2nd rounder at best.
So you consider Ryan worth a second round pick?

I think he's better than that.....and I also dont think Baker is worth a first.

Straight swap? We lose that trade. We're in a rebuild - we cant afford to be losing trades.

Ryan for Baker + a pick? Yeah maybe.

Last edited:
What ties does ryan have with Rioli?
Played with his cousin, has previously holidayed in the Tiwi islands with the Rioli family and on Coast to Coast about a month ago a few of the boys were talking about the Melbourne/Richmond indigenous boys they love to watch play, stay in touch with and favourite first nation players etc - Kosi, Shai, Rioli and Rankine.

I also think the weather and anonymity of playing for the Suns would suit him, likes to fly under the radar and he could do that in Queensland.

EDIT: Regardless, I'd still prefer he stays, love watching him play. Highlights from players like Ryan, Reid and Waterman make the losses a little easier to watch.

Last edited:
Gonna be hard to make these big trades happen if our list manager keeps ignoring manager phone calls. Apparently starting to put quite a few offside.

Hopefully its because they are about ordinary players or low ball picks, and we have bigger fish to fry.

This has come from where?

(I’m simply being curious)

So you consider Ryan worth a second round pick?

I think he's better than that.....and I also dont think Baker is worth a first.
Personally, I don't think either of them are worth a 1st rounder.

I just can't see anyone giving up a 1st round pick for a player coming off a serious injury such as Ryan's. If he hadn't had the injury then yes, he's worth it.

After reading through the Ryan and Baker threads on the Draft Board, teams are saying that Ryan isn't worth a 1st while Richmond are saying that Baker is though.

This sounds like "if the two teams think it's an unfair trade, then the trade is fair".

Will be an interesting one.

Tom Morris has said the Eagles will want Premium Trade compensation which I don’t think he means a pick in the 20s.

Cal has repeatedly said it will cost a fair bit in draft pick/s.
They said that for Willy and ended up getting a pick in the 40s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back