List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
That Freo are now ahead but still could go either way. Almost certainly won’t be at Richmond. So much to play out there with Bolton being the key to everything.

Hope he chooses Freo because there's no chance in hell that bloke's worth a first round pick, split or otherwise...Christ.

I personally would accept something between 16-25 for Liam Ryan. We currently hold 3 and 23. A chance to bring in 10 and 27 for Barrass.

That would leave us with 3, 10, 20 (Ryan trade), 23 and 27.

Would allow us to use one of the picks in the 20s for Baker (potentially the Ryan pick), whilst bringing in 4 top 30 players and Malakai late.

Essentially straight swap Ryan for Baker.
With the demand for high end KPD defenders and WC holding all the cards , Pick 10 and 27 won't get the deal done. Hawks will need to either turn their pick 27 into a late first rounder or offer up a future first. WC won't accept anything less than 2 first rounders for Barrass ( I would be surprised if they do). I would not go after Malakai Champion , I just can't see him being anything more than enigmatic list clogger. I would draft Jaxon Artemis with that late pick, the WA MVP from the national carnival. Attacking wing / halfback , very quick on his feet, fantastic user of the ball, high level footy brain.

Give pick 23 to the tigers for Liam Baker , Give 77 95 and 113 to GC for pick 47, get pick 10 and a 17 (however they turn 27 into 17) from the Hawks for Barrass . We go into the draft with 3, 10, 17, 47 and 59.

Pick 3 - Draper , O'Sullivan or Smilie
Pick 10 - Trainor , Lalor or Murphy Reid
Pick 17 - Lindsay or Hynes
Pick 47 - Artemis
Pick 59 - Champion if he is still there.

Baker comes in via trade for pick 23
Graham comes in via free agency .
Keep Ryan (unless a first rounder is offered) and keep Harry Edwards
I will change this 4367 times between now and draft night :)

Dogs have apparently offered their F1, other teams are interested but I’m not aware of the details of their offers. If it lands on pick 9/10 and pick 28 for Barrass and his 3 year contract I think that’s fair.

And his 3 year contract?

$700k across 3 years is worth hell of a lot more than basically a 2nd rounder. Bet you top teams would pay at least a first rounder to have someone take $700k off their books for 3 years.

And his 3 year contract?

$700k across 3 years is worth hell of a lot more than basically a 2nd rounder. Bet you top teams would pay at least a first rounder to have someone take $700k off their books for 3 years.
It’s clear this is being misinterpreted because I worded it poorly. I replied to another similar post above that all I meant by that is being under contract increases his value, hence the addition of the Pies 2R to the trade. I didn’t mean that we pay his contract.

It’s clear this is being misinterpreted because I worded it poorly. I replied to another similar post above that all I meant by that is being under contract increases his value, hence the addition of the Pies 2R to the trade. I didn’t mean that we pay his contract.

Ahh.

On the trade,it’s all way too agreeable between clubs at this stage for my liking.

Ahh.

On the trade,it’s all way too agreeable between clubs at this stage for my liking.
I think there’s some goodwill there from last year and the way the Brockman deal was done. It’s in both clubs interests to get a deal done early and there will be a lot more clubs than Hawthorn coming for Barrass.

It’s a good year to be trading small forwards when the bar has been set at Lachie Schultz being worth pick 8…
Fremantle are the opposite of WC. Extracting immense value from genuine middling footballers.

Good thought on radio this morning was that Liam Ryan and Port Adelaide would be a very likely situation. Port have a huge need for a HF along with the fact Ryan has relationships at the club already with Jason Williams and Willie Rioli which would make any transition easier. They have chased many a half forward in recent times and failed

Could easily be a case of future 1st for Ryan + peanuts from Port.

Not appealing at all.

Is there another club who can offer a better trade?
TB would have to agree, he will pick his team and we will work around that and get a deal done. Unlikely he changes his mind once it’s set, very few cases of that happening.

Cal who when he goes with something is rarely wrong. Sounded very confident when he said the Eagles should be barracking against the Hawks for the rest of the year to get that pick to fall.

Pies win last night would’ve been handy

I think there’s some goodwill there from last year and the way the Brockman deal was done. It’s in both clubs interests to get a deal done early and there will be a lot more clubs than Hawthorn coming for Barrass.

Hardly an over the top offer from hawks to make it sound like a good will gesture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thought on radio this morning was that Liam Ryan and Port Adelaide would be a very likely situation. Port have a huge need for a HF along with the fact Ryan has relationships at the club already with Jason Williams and Willie Rioli which would make any transition easier. They have chased many a half forward in recent times and failed

Port and Essendon are the two clubs I’ve heard have a lot of interest in Ryan. Not sure why Essendon with Kako coming on board but they are essentially going to try and swap Wright for Ryan as unlikely as it sounds.

Hardly an over the top offer from hawks to make it sound like a good will gesture.
Not saying it’s a goodwill gesture, saying the clubs will work together and get a deal done early if Barrass is happy with the $$ and eagles are happy with what’s on the table. Won’t be like Cats, Port and Dons dealing with each other.

Port and Essendon are the two clubs I’ve heard have a lot of interest in Ryan. Not sure why Essendon with Kako coming on board but they are essentially going to try and swap Wright for Ryan as unlikely as it sounds.
He is 1000% choosing Port over Essendon unless Essendon just go insane with the financial offer

You reckon we'll get a fair deal from Port? No f**king chance

Wright’s had a pretty poor year, with Caddy coming on ok it’s a good idea. Can’t imagine they’d get more than token currency for him though. Is it a bit ambitious to be expecting more than say pick 30 for Ryan?

Wright’s had a pretty poor year, with Caddy coming on ok it’s a good idea. Can’t imagine they’d get more than token currency for him though. Is it a bit ambitious to be expecting more than say pick 30 for Ryan?
Personally I think Ryan’s worth about pick 20 under contract and worth even more than that to WCE. However I’d prefer to trade him with a salary contribution to bump that pick up to a mid 1R. Having salary paid would work for the two clubs I see as the best fit which are Freo and GCS but still think a move interstate would be more unlikely than likely.

When did Ryan cross paths with Jason Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back