List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs have apparently offered their F1, other teams are interested but I’m not aware of the details of their offers. If it lands on pick 9/10 and pick 28 for Barrass given he’s contracted for 3 years I think that’s fair.
If it’s Hawthorn there first pick will probably be higher than 9/10 and future first will be around forty or even higher.

This is about half the price Collingwood paid for Schulz for half the player.

Last edited:

I wonder if the club will have the gaul to trade out our future 2nd rounder to get more involved in this draft.

Future 2nd id trade for Gold Coasts pick 26 or Freos pick 25
Might even be able to get GC 19 if they don’t trade it somewhere else. Next years points might be more valuable to them as they have plenty to cover LL this year and could possibly have pick 1 and another high end talent next year.

Or at least
Eagles get 19 & 26*
Suns get 23* and F2 (likely 19 or 20)

Is Wright any good in the ruck? If so, I'd consider him, if not, hard pass
Eagles would have 0 interest in Wright.

Don’t think the Dons would trade him either, even if he is playing VFL atm. They don’t have much depth in that department. Unless they have eyes on Armstrong in the draft and even then you’d think he’s at least a season away from being a consistent league footballer.

Wrights contract would be pretty decent $$ if he signed it after that big year he had at the Dons.

Port and Essendon are the two clubs I’ve heard have a lot of interest in Ryan. Not sure why Essendon with Kako coming on board but they are essentially going to try and swap Wright for Ryan as unlikely as it sounds.
Can U imagine the melts on here if we agreed to take wright..FFS!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can U imagine the melts on here if we agreed to take wright..FFS!

It wouldn’t be pretty. Wright would be traded to a different club (likely in Vic) then Bombers would use that pick as part of a play for Ryan. Liam going to GCS or even Brisbane I can get my head around but I don’t think Melbourne would be a great environment for him.

Good news Sid draper is no playing sanfl. Time to hide him away. I hope he withdraws from combine as well
Travaglia about to play for Carlton VFL if anyone wants a look at him at league level against men.
Yeah idk if we need travaglia to do well against men. It will not change his standing.

Yeah idk if we need travaglia to do well against men. It will not change his standing.
Pretty low expectations given his frame, more about his composure and decision making under a bit more pressure and faster game speed. Both of which are normally elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Food for thought.

If the top 3 from last year was in this draft there would also be a top 3 and a next tier in this draft.

Players this year keep floating into the top 3 and then drop out bar Ashcroft. Smillie was clear #1 now he is 5. Jagga was 7 now top 2.

Players are bouncing from top 10 to outside the top 20 rankings.

It just seems very fluid and no-one is sure on who lands where apart from Ashcroft.

Champion was listed as top 15 earlier. Now he is in the late 30s.

Langford rated top 10 out to early 20s.

Bo Allan top 10 and earlier he was mid 20s.

Moreas 8 to 12 now sliding out to 22 - 25.

Lindsay 2nd round now in top 10 discussions.

Whitlocks x 2. Late 1st now mid 2nd round.

Draper was around 6 to 7 now talked about as top 3.

That to me says there are alot more quality kids than an average draft putting their hands up and making recruiters think.

Cooper Hynes at 40 is a nice player. Reminds me of Yeo in style and body shape.

Last edited:
If we were to get a player instead of a F2 thatd be awesome.

Ward clearly isnt part of their best 22, hed be ideal. Probably a little undersized as an inside mid but the Hawks have no need for him. I think hes in the same areas as Chesser where hes been stuck playing a role hes not really suited to out on a wing.

What about Reeves? He played very well covering the Hawks ruck last year, is 210cm tall and aged 25. Probably suffered and fell back behind Meek this year due to the ruck rule changes, but still would be a solid pick and would allow us to offload BWilliams for pick 40ish.

Not much else there I think the Hawks would be willing to part with who is worth noticably more than a F2
I'd take Reeves

Eagles would have 0 interest in Wright.

Don’t think the Dons would trade him either, even if he is playing VFL atm. They don’t have much depth in that department. Unless they have eyes on Armstrong in the draft and even then you’d think he’s at least a season away from being a consistent league footballer.

Wrights contract would be pretty decent $$ if he signed it after that big year he had at the Dons.

We dont need Wright when we have Jack Williams and Archer Reid both forward rucks.

Plus Bailey. Dont need to even mention Barnett.

With the demand for high end KPD defenders and WC holding all the cards , Pick 10 and 27 won't get the deal done. Hawks will need to either turn their pick 27 into a late first rounder or offer up a future first. WC won't accept anything less than 2 first rounders for Barrass ( I would be surprised if they do). I would not go after Malakai Champion , I just can't see him being anything more than enigmatic list clogger. I would draft Jaxon Artemis with that late pick, the WA MVP from the national carnival. Attacking wing / halfback , very quick on his feet, fantastic user of the ball, high level footy brain.

Give pick 23 to the tigers for Liam Baker , Give 77 95 and 113 to GC for pick 47, get pick 10 and a 17 (however they turn 27 into 17) from the Hawks for Barrass . We go into the draft with 3, 10, 17, 47 and 59.

Pick 3 - Draper , O'Sullivan or Smilie
Pick 10 - Trainor , Lalor or Murphy Reid
Pick 17 - Lindsay or Hynes
Pick 47 - Artemis
Pick 59 - Champion if he is still there.

Baker comes in via trade for pick 23
Graham comes in via free agency .
Keep Ryan (unless a first rounder is offered) and keep Harry Edwards
I will change this 4367 times between now and draft night :)
I'd love Artemis, hopefully we're into him big time.
But I think you're wrong on Champion, needs time but will be a very good small fwd.

If we were to get a player instead of a F2 thatd be awesome.

Ward clearly isnt part of their best 22, hed be ideal. Probably a little undersized as an inside mid but the Hawks have no need for him. I think hes in the same areas as Chesser where hes been stuck playing a role hes not really suited to out on a wing.

What about Reeves? He played very well covering the Hawks ruck last year, is 210cm tall and aged 25. Probably suffered and fell back behind Meek this year due to the ruck rule changes, but still would be a solid pick and would allow us to offload BWilliams for pick 40ish.

Not much else there I think the Hawks would be willing to part with who is worth noticably more than a F2

Recall we were interested in Ward in his draft year.

Looking at the Hawks list I was struggling to work out which player we may be keen on.

Jaith.
A tall defender?
A ruck?

Ward would make sense but who would want to leave the Hawks now?

Players this year keep floating into the top 3 and then drop out bar Ashcroft. Smillie was clear #1 now he is 5. Jagga was 7 now top 2.

It just seems very fluid and no-one is sure on who lands where apart from Ashcroft.

That to me says there are alot more kids that an average draft putting their hands up and making recruiters think.

I'd think Hynes would be closer to Tom Green than Elliot Yeo. (Not a bad player either)

Bo Allan's powerful first couple of steps and always driving forwards through legs or disposal is more like Yeo in play style if you're looking for a comparison in this draft.

That to me says there are alot more kids that an average draft putting their hands up and making recruiters think.

It also says that taking a kid who was nowhere at the start of the year and now is considered top 10 could be a significant risk. Consistency is key to top 10 selections over a 3 yrs period.

Only recruiters know how the players have progressed over the junior career journey.

Some will have dominated until kids outgrew them, and only now they're 18 there body is starting to come back to the pack.

I know a couple of players that were touted very high as 13yo, were undersized and didn't make Coates level, but still got drafted and are making a career.

Agree, reckon anyone goes pick one before Reid in the last 10 years?
Going back to 2013 the stand out prospects where.

Boyd, Walsh, Rowell, JUH, Daicos, JHF, Ashcroft, Heeney and Mills are the standout prospects over the last 10 years or so if you include reputation and undisputed top prospects. Mills, Heeney, Daicos and Ashcroft should have gone pick one in there respective years.

Daicos in my opinion is the only one you would take over Reid or consider if you factor in how they where rated pre draft and early form

Port and Essendon are the two clubs I’ve heard have a lot of interest in Ryan. Not sure why Essendon with Kako coming on board but they are essentially going to try and swap Wright for Ryan as unlikely as it sounds.
Have a look at Essendon team, their forward positions are midifielders. Kako is 18 and you can play both easily. You can’t sit around wait until Kako is effective, if at all, before you move forward.

Peter wright? Has not pieman seen our forward line?

Have a look at Essendon team, their forward positions are midifielders. Kako is 18 and you can play both easily. You can’t sit around wait until Kako is effective, if at all, before you move forward.

Peter wright? Has not pieman seen our forward line?
RoB knows we love our talls, so is doing us a solid, clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back