List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty simple really, next year is his 4th on the list. If you want to see if he can be an inside mid play him as the centreman at WAFL level for the first half of the season. Sure if he dominates call him up for a game and if he then can't emulate that form back to the WAFL.

There's a lot of players that can dominate through the centre at WAFL level who can't get their hands on it at AFL level.

If he can't spend an entire preseason training as an inside mid and then produce in the first half of the WAFL season then he's never going to be an inside mid and you then start looking at roles where he can be useful or he's heading towards the bust pile.

On exposed form and with the limitations due to injury and covid hampering his development he looks much better with the ball coming at him. So if he doesn't make it as a true mid, again WAFL, play him as a distributor at HB. He's got the courage, he's got the speed and he runs hard both ways. All great defensive aspects and he does have good skills. Can he execute is the real question because if he can't whether you used a first round pick on a player or the last pick in the rookie draft on a player if a small can't show the ability to even be highly successful in a role at WAFL level after 4 years then you have a bust.

Chesser wasn't some sort of player drafted with an under developed body from outside the elite talent pathways who you give more time to because they have some elite traits. He simply must perform next year.

Everyone knew Chesser was a slow burn due to injury and playing very little prior to being drafted.

So yes, year 4 he needs to start performing.

Just not on the defensive dead wing.

Get him involved closer to the action then we can see what he can do........finally.

Can someone body who knows the mindset of dev robertson or knows him well.

Does he have hunger to play afl? Is he content with being a reserves player his whole life? Does he give a shit at all? Will he at the age of 24 have regrets about playing only 1 game?

Seriously from the outside it no longer looks like he is loyal. It looks like he is content to be a reserves player getting paid bare minimum afl wage.

That's just unbelievable alarming. Imagine if a pick 1 was happy to be a reserves player his whole life. Anyone with hunger or desire would be banging the door down anyway they can.

When the last time a high draft pick had little motivation to play afl

Ever thought he is a loyal bloke? Keen to win a flag?

Loyal to his team and team mates.

He played in a losing GF less than 12 months ago and lost by 1 point.

Decent chance they will be there again. So maybe Dev is a loyal bloke who rolled the dice knowing he was best 25 to 30 but just might make another GF and win a flag.

He wasnt getting that chance here at the Eagles in 2024.

Last edited:
What could our F1 fetch if we put it on the trade table? I’d only consider doing this if we got the Hawks F1 in a Barrass trade though.

Don’t see the Suns giving up pick 5 as that’ll be before a Lombard bid so they’d likely just use it on someone (if they don’t stupidly give it up for Rioli)

Fremantle would make sense if they struck out on Warner and didn’t want Bolton. F1 for 8 and Port’s 1st maybe? Though I doubt WC and Freo trade with one another.

Would love to somehow come away with Draper, Travaglia and any one of Lalor, Langford, M.Reid, Lindsay or Moraes.

What if we are going to bid on him?

Suns now hold pick 5.

Saints may come for pick 3 as well.

Five out of five now with another excellent SANFL performance from Sid Draper as he keeps adding to his pick 1 CV. This time around his South Adelaide team copped a bit of a pasting so we got a chance to see how he responded to the adversity, and he kept up his typical competitive intensity throughout. Just like every week we got some wow moments from Sid, spinning out of tackles and bursting clear of congestion.

Sid was my choice from the start to the middle of the champs despite the lower disposal counts.
Seems like a lot of people have come around to him.
He probably deserves to be in top 2 along with Jagga.
Unfortunately this means we are quite likely to miss out on him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford has a shitty ball drop which produces floaters, Smillies only attribute is he's a Greg Clarke height mid. I'd rather take FOS or Murphy Reid than pick a mid with poorer skills purely because he's taller. Zac Butters is 181, Daniel Kerr is 179cm and they're 2 of the hardest small mids I've seen. You've still got to be able to get around the park with some speed.
Dangerfield is floater-kicking his way towards 350 games and plenty of accolades. Not the end of the world. I like Langford but he stands out being bigger and stronger than most of his opponents. Playing VFL today which will be interesting to see how he matches up against bigger bodies.

I’d hope that we do if they don’t trade us pick 5, but clubs usually don’t do that, ruins relationships and all.

What relationship with Gold Coast have we benefited from lately?

Plus we now have the ex Richmond list manager working for us who has previously bid on Northern academy kids. Recall the Tigers bid and landed one an Brisbane academy kid.

Can’t see Jagga making it - his build is too slight. So don’t pick him.
He's an elite accumulator against men. The only legit knock on him is his shit kicking.

I thought about it and I want to float the idea of aggresively going after pick 2 for draper. It may cost pick 3 and TB pick to make something like that happen but it may be worth it

I'm of the opinion that there are no rolled gold mid prospects at this stage let alone one to make pick 3.

So essentially I was giving myself the absolute worst case scenario in a pick downgrade. Under my previous pick 3 scenario as say the previous scenario was given and it was Draper and Smith taken before our picks i'd probably draft Smillie.

In the previous worst case scenario my picks would have been Berry and Lindsay. Whilst he's been interviewed talked to by a fair few clubs I have a sneaking suspicion that Langford will perform poorly at the combine. If this happens he could well be a slider.

I guess we'll see what happens.

I'm of the opinion that there are no rolled gold mid prospects at this stage let alone one to make pick 3.

So essentially I was giving myself the absolute worst case scenario in a pick downgrade. Under my previous pick 3 scenario as say the previous scenario was given and it was Draper and Smith taken before our picks i'd probably draft Smillie.

In the previous worst case scenario my picks would have been Berry and Lindsay. Whilst he's been interviewed talked to by a fair few clubs I have a sneaking suspicion that Langford will perform poorly at the combine. If this happens he could well be a slider.

Big Lalor watch on today. Another standout CTL performance or two and we should just take him at 3. Surely over Smilie.

I've just had a look at the Berry videos and he does look really good.

Kind of gives me Zorko vibes.

Shouldn't you be out shaking trees and rattling cages?
Feel like shaking us out a decent ruckman?

Another watch for pick 3 is tobie. Is it possible he is Hayden young? If he has the scope of Hayden young then pull that trigger. He seems to be showing a fair bit against men/vfl

Big Lalor watch on today. Another standout CTL performance or two and we should just take him at 3.
I agree he is somebody to watch for at pick 3. He doesn't have runs on the board is the issue. He's a risk boom or bust type player.

We need an insurance pick if we get him.

The only issue is if he stands up at ctl level it's not really a big stamp. Ctl is against kids so it's good but not very good stamp.

In no way should we draft smillie ahead of Lalor. Smillie is drafted because of high ceiling whom Lalor has an even higher ceiling.

Another watch for pick 3 is tobie. Is it possible he is Hayden young? If he has the scope of Hayden young then pull that trigger. He seems to be showing a fair bit against men/vfl

I agree he is somebody to watch for at pick 3. He doesn't have runs on the board is the issue. He's a risk boom or bust type player.

We need an insurance pick if we get him.

The only issue is if he stands up at ctl level it's not really a big stamp. Ctl is against kids so it's good but not very good stamp.

In no way should we draft smillie ahead of Lalor. Smillie is drafted because of high ceiling whom Lalor has an even higher ceiling.
He definitely does have runs on the board. He averaged 20 disposals and more than 7 tackles per game as a bottom ager in the Talent League. Recruiters judge more than just a top age campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back