List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone even know who the projected pick 1 is next year(if not academy/ father son tied to begin with)?

If not, why would anyone even remotely entertain this though?

Bizarre take from old mate who's ignoring half the posters on this forum for taking the piss out of unhinged suggestions.
It's going to be Freakin Dyson Sharpe - who looks Harley Reid levels of Number 1 Pick certainty and is already playing senior footy in the SANFL

It's going to be Freakin Dyson Sharpe - who looks Harley Reid levels of Number 1 Pick certainty and is already playing senior footy in the SANFL
Well, in all likelihood we'll be worse next year, so welcome to WCE 'Freakin' Dyson Sharpe ;)

It's not like for like or an upgrade. We miss 12 months of development. The pick could be higher than 3, you never know.

Where do you plan on developing this kid? We can't get any of our current kids into the midfield rotation and we are bringing in Graham, Baker, quite possibly Peatling. Hewitt back from injury. Squeeze on Duggan to get him out of the back 6. Nowhere to fit forward pockets or half forwards due to the tall forward situation plus Cripps.

I'm genuinely interested to see how many people think we're going to commit to a midfield rotation of Elliot Yeo, Harley Reid and Sid Draper next year. Whoever it is that comes in is sitting about 10 deep on a good day, its not going to be a Harley Reid situation even if we prioritise fast tracking development for the kid the opportunities are going to be nothing like what we have been able to offer the past 3 years.

I don't think there's anything to be gained from trading Darling, the pick would be negligible. Play the Beagles, nurse to 300 and he's there if one or two of Allen, Waterman, Williams go down. Then retires at the end of next year.

So it’s another year wasted on the list for him and us.. trade him or pay him out. Three years he has bludged games out of others

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're suggesting trading a known quantity that we get this year (and need now) for an unknown 12 months down the track.

Yes, Richmond are probably going to finish last next year.

The Cavs were also probably going to lose when they were down 3-1 to the Warriors, and Leicester were probably going to get relegated in 2016.

Its sport. Nothing is a certainty. I don't think pushing back our rebuild by 12 months holding out for something that 'might' be pick 1 is a good idea.

Downgrading from pick 3 to 12 this year then taking 2 top 5 next year doesn't not push out rebuild back by 12 months by any stretch. I'm not suggesting we sit out of the draft here, if there is upside to pick 1 next year and we end up with an appreciably better player at 1 in 2025 than 3 in 2024 then by the time these kids are in the 80-100 game range it means **** all.

What exactly is it about that suggestion that offends you? Poster said I'd love pick one next year but don't see how we get it. I don't know anything about Dyson Sharpe other than I'll be creating another alt account next year in order to stan for him coming to West Coast. But assuming he's basically Harley Reid, generational player and a lock at #1 even from more than a year out. You wouldn't move from 3 to 1 in order to get him?

Seems to me Richmond are an absolute lock to finish last next year, they finished last this year and are actively trying to trade out 2 of their best players for first round picks and 2 of their best 22 to us, having just retired maybe their greatest ever player. How is it even conceivable they rise even to 17th next year. On the flip side, having pick one this year and having committed to a radically fast tracked rebuild, pick 3 would be hugely tempting for them. As would be getting our pick 23 which I personally feel is overs for Baker. If we made that trade I'd be stoked, assuming next years pick 1 is fairly obviously better than this years picks 1-5 [seems you could throw a blanket over any of them this year].

If we wanted to get really creative Richmond as asking way too much for Shai Bolten and Fremantle have 2 first rounders.

If we were to lose pick 23 and swap out 3 for Richmonds future 1st, send something Freo's way that gets us their second first rounder, then we get 12 and a second rounder for Barrass. Go to draft with 12, 13, end of first round priority pick, 2 picks in the 20's. New year we then have pick 1 and our own first, which is pick 5-10 and hope to draft Sharp plus Baby Curtin. Way better business in my view than trying to guess which of the half dozen pick 1 candidates this year is going to slide to us at 3.

Something like this as a starting point, with other pick swaps making up any differences here and there.

Richmond in: pick 3, pick 7, pick 23, Rotham
Richmond out: f1, Bolton, Baker, Graham

West Coast in: Richmonds f1, Baker, Graham, pick 12
West Coast out: pick 3, pick 23, Rotham, Ryan

Fremantle in: Bolton, Ryan
Fremantle out: picks 7, 12

Side deal:

Hawthorn in: Barrass
West Cost in: pick 13, 29 [or whatever it is]

Our draft hand: 12, 13, PP, 29, Champion

I feel like our main priority this trade/draft period is addressing our bottom 6 by trading in players in their mid 20's. ie the Richmond pair plus whoever we shake loose out of GWS and or Sydney's stacked midfields. There is going to be very little opportunity for our first rounder to do a Harley Reid and play 20 games in our starting midfield in 2025. In 2026, it will be completely different. I'd rather be picking up pick 1 next year and bringing them straight into the 22 than expecting a kid picked 5-10 to do that, and I don't want to see pick 3 from this draft waiting for Yeo or Kelly to break down or needing to push our captain out of the midfield in order to escape Beagles duty. its a deep draft, load up on prospects in the 10-30 range where there is apparently incredible value.
Richmond know its probably pick 1 too. They also know the state of the 2025 draft, so they wont trade out of it.
Not like there is a rush to get it done all this year, theyll probably have at least 4 first rounders this year anyway

Where do you plan on developing this kid? We can't get any of our current kids into the midfield rotation and we are bringing in Graham, Baker, quite possibly Peatling. Hewitt back from injury. Squeeze on Duggan to get him out of the back 6. Nowhere to fit forward pockets or half forwards due to the tall forward situation plus Cripps.

I'm genuinely interested to see how many people think we're going to commit to a midfield rotation of Elliot Yeo, Harley Reid and Sid Draper next year. Whoever it is that comes in is sitting about 10 deep on a good day, its not going to be a Harley Reid situation even if we prioritise fast tracking development for the kid the opportunities are going to be nothing like what we have been able to offer the past 3 years.
Tbh id prefer FOS for this reason to play off half back for the first year and see where we end up next year.

For arguments sake though
Midfield:
C: Duggan Reid Maric
R: Flynn Yeo Draper
Peatling as the rotation
Kelly to half forward, hes gotta get out of the full time mid role.
Hewett in the forward line, potentially swapping out with Reid
Baker to be a flank only, similar to a Petch role playing mid only if needed.
Hall as depth

Draper could spend a lot of time on a flank tbh, doesnt have to be full time mid in his first year like Harley. More time in the middle for Reid/Hewett/Kelly

Graham to be the backup in case we dont get Peatling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have read suggestions that the Tigers will target our pick to get FOS and Jagga together, doesn’t sound like North are keen on Jagga. Wonder if we’d slide down to GC’s pick at 6 (for Rioli)? Would probably get 1 of the picks they get for Bolton/Baker on top?
I think Richmond would have more luck in trading down with North for pick 2, the tigers picks fall around where the needs are for them most likely. In my mind, WCE would want Jagga/FOS/Draper/Smillie/Lalor as much as Richmond do. That being said, I am all for trading our F1 to double dip in this years first round. Maybe a team like Melb or GC bite with a 2024 + 2025 1st round pick.

For those talking about our NGA/FS next year, if they end up over-performing, we have the option again to use 2026 picks to acquire more assets.

I wrote Smillie up there, but is he a no go? If Ginbey stays in the back line long term we could use another big bodied mid.

I think Richmond would have more luck in trading down with North for pick 2, the tigers picks fall around where the needs are for them most likely. In my mind, WCE would want Jagga/FOS/Draper/Smillie/Lalor as much as Richmond do. That being said, I am all for trading our F1 to double dip in this years first round. Maybe a team like Melb or GC bite with a 2024 + 2025 1st round pick.

For those talking about our NGA/FS next year, if they end up over-performing, we have the option again to use 2026 picks to acquire more assets.

I wrote Smillie up there, but is he a no go? If Ginbey stays in the back line long term we could use another big bodied mid.
*Sam Lalor is the big bodied mid. We already have another first rounder in TB

Richmond know its probably pick 1 too. They also know the state of the 2025 draft, so they wont trade out of it.
Not like there is a rush to get it done all this year, theyll probably have at least 4 first rounders this year anyway

We as long as we are in agreement that if its a bad deal for anyone its a bad deal for Richmond.

The upside for them is they are doing something historic and detonating their list so that from 2025 onwards they are basically God Coast 2011. It actually fits for them to take a whole bunch of top prospects all out of one draft and let them all bond together from day one because the next 3-5 years are going to be absolute hell.

For us, we have staggered our rebuild and are 2-3 years into it with another 2-3 years just feeding in 1-2 top prospects a year and trying to nail late picks. They may give up the next Harley Reid in that deal with us, but out of every club they are under the most pressure to fast-track before Tasmania. They could look to do a 2004 Hawks thing where you take 3 top 10 picks in a deep draft or whatever that was. Deal with us and Freo and they may find themselves with 2 in the top 5, 3 in the top 10, 4 in the top 15. It's probably worth doing regardless of if they finish last and miss out on pick 1 next year. They probably have the next 4 spoons and pick ones to look forward to trading one of them out should be on the cards anyway, and earlier the better.

Last edited:
Tbh id prefer FOS for this reason to play off half back for the first year and see where we end up next year.

For arguments sake though
Midfield:
C: Duggan Reid Maric
R: Flynn Yeo Draper
Peatling as the rotation
Kelly to half forward, hes gotta get out of the full time mid role.
Hewett in the forward line, potentially swapping out with Reid
Baker to be a flank only, similar to a Petch role playing mid only if needed.
Hall as depth

Draper could spend a lot of time on a flank tbh, doesnt have to be full time mid in his first year like Harley. More time in the middle for Reid/Hewett/Kelly

Graham to be the backup in case we dont get Peatling

If we did that I would be fine with it, but I think there is next to no chance Draper is pushing someone out of the starting midfield next year. Duggan to wing Kelly to Half forward aren't bad solutions I just don't think the club are going to move the veterans around to squeeze in an 18 year old when we are looking to be be far more competitive next year.

Kelly and Yeo turn 31 next year. That's their last acceptable year. Then it's all down hill from there.

By the time 2026 rolls around it would be hard to justify their position due to age and deterioration of performance. That's how age and life works

Lol we aren't in the position where we have too many midfielders.

We literally have 3 mids in our starting rotation.

Hell, even Schofield and Brayshaw couldn't name more than that tonight.

Too many mids? WTF.

We're playing HBFs/HFFs in there because we don't have enough.

All we currently have is Reid, Yeo and Kelly and Kelly should be playing HFF himself.

We don't have any actual wingers, we have Reid and Yeo doing the heavy lifting and Kelly playing a role he's ultimately not suited for.

How anyone can look at our list and think we don't need top end mids is completely beyond me.

If we did that I would be fine with it, but I think there is next to no chance Draper is pushing someone out of the starting midfield next year. Duggan to wing Kelly to Half forward aren't bad solutions I just don't think the club are going to move the veterans around to squeeze in an 18 year old when we are looking to be be far more competitive next year.
Depends who the new coach is. A midfield with Yeo, Reid, Peatling and the rest of the guys rotating through could carry a first year player for sure
I dont know how well Draper would go as a half back like Sheezel/Mckercher, could just be a half forward rotation with Hewett/Kelly/Reid

We as long as we are in agreement that if its a bad deal for anyone its a bad deal for Richmond.

The upside for them is they are doing something historic and detonating their list so that from 2025 onwards they are basically God Coast 2011. It actually fits for them to take a whole bunch of top prospects all out of one draft and let them all bond together from day one because the next 3-5 years are going to be absolute hell.

For us, we have staggered our rebuild and are 2-3 years into it with another 2-3 years just feeding in 1-2 top prospects a year and trying to nail late picks. They may give up the next Harley Reid in that deal with us, but out of every club they are under the most pressure to fast-track before Tasmania. They could look to do a 2004 Hawks thing where you take 3 top 10 picks in a deep draft or whatever that was. Deal with us and Freo and they may find themselves with 2 in the top 5, 3 in the top 10, 4 in the top 15. It's probably worth doing regardless of if they finish last and miss out on pick 1 next year. They probably have the next 4 spoons and pick ones to look forward to trading one of them out should be on the cards anyway, and earlier the better.
Richmond still need to stagger their kids, otherwise theyll ALL be coming out of their first contracts at the same time, itd be a nightmare to manage their salary cap.

Tassy is 2028 I believe, 2024, 2025, 2026 are the drafts for the Tigers to use, not really a huge rush to do it all this year

You're suggesting trading a known quantity that we get this year (and need now) for an unknown 12 months down the track.

Yes, Richmond are probably going to finish last next year.

The Cavs were also probably going to lose when they were down 3-1 to the Warriors, and Leicester were probably going to get relegated in 2016.

Its sport. Nothing is a certainty. I don't think pushing back our rebuild by 12 months holding out for something that 'might' be pick 1 is a good idea.

Yes, we know we have pick 3 this year. we know that Richmond will have pick 1-3 next year. Ergo, calculated risk to even break even or improve our position. The idea that the actual risk is that Richmond rise up the ladder and don't even finish bottom 5 next year, after finishing last then gutting their list of 5+ best 22, retiring veterans and replacing them all with 18 years olds is among the most unlikely things that could ever happen in football. They are taking a historic approach to ensure to virtually guarantee they can't be a competitive side next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back