List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that’s how the Barrass trade lands, don’t need to repeat my thoughts on Baker but the trades I hope we’d pursue are:

ADEL: 3 for 4 and 25
HAW: Barrass for 12 and 30
FREO: Ryan and part salary for 27 and Knobel
GCS: 23 + 27 + no Lombard bid for pick 13
MELB: BWilliams, Darling, Petch for 38 and 49
PORT: Barnett for Soldo

Hitting those would land us 4,12,13,25,30,38,49,58 as well as Knobel, Soldo and Soldo’s missus
Dare to dream. I love it mate.

Ideally, I'd be trying to get that barass pick (prob 12 + 30) inside top 10 somehow with another club. Bombers draft hand sucks they could be interested...

Bombers currently:
8, 28
That's kako and something less desirable

Wce give 12 + 30 to bombers
Wce get 8 and maybe a f4

Bombers end up with.....
-Kako using 28 and 30 (1306pts matched bid at 13)
-Pick 12 to use on a jet

Essentially, bombers get 12 + 13 and we walk away with pick8

• I'd only chase 8 as long as stkilda don't get band1 compo for battle
  • I'd prioritise GC pick6 before approaching bombers for 8
*it'd want to be a live trade.if lalor or langford was gone by then maybe id just keep 12 and 30

He’s probably a dud, and has no value in the trade, but if DGB were to come across on a 1 year deal (instead of being delisted) as the proverbial packet of chips on top I think we should ask for him to be included (note for this to be a thing we would have to be happy with the deal without him added).

We do know how to develop talls, and clearly there is some talent there…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, not this again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ideally, I'd be trying to get that barass pick (prob 12 + 30) inside top 10 somehow with another club. Bombers draft hand sucks they could be interested...

Bombers currently:
8, 28
That's kako and something less desirable

Wce give 12 + 30 to bombers
Wce get 8 and maybe a f4

Bombers end up with.....
-Kako using 28 and 30 (1306pts matched bid at 13)
-Pick 12 to use on a jet

Essentially, bombers get 12 + 13 and we walk away with pick8

• I'd only chase 8 as long as stkilda don't get band1 compo for battle
  • I'd prioritise GC pick6 before approaching bombers for 8
*it'd want to be a live trade.if lalor or langford was gone by then maybe id just keep 12 and 30
If the bombers go back to 12 they might be at risk of a bid for kako coming before their pick

The value of Barrass is set by the contract Hawthorn are offering him.

A very valid point thats lost, by most who read here.

IF we wanted another pick this year to ensure Travaglia, what if we just offered our F1 + F3 to the bombers for pick 8 and their F1?
something along those lines anyway, the F3 could be whatever to make it work. Bombers get kako as a first rounder anyway so they shouldnt be too concerned.

Id prefer to have a second pick before 10, gonna be harder to do it with just Barrass and the Hawks

28 + 30 + a deficit at worst case scenario would get them over the line, I'd be surprised if he went before that 12/13 range
Just saying he might, a club could decide to **** with them haha and bid on kako early knowing the bombers will have to do it, or trade pick 12 for unders to split it

I've been a big fan of Trent Rivers for years. Straight swap Waterman for Rivers. Who says no first?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren’t sliding out of finals and we aren’t finishing 13th.

Surely the calculation has to be done on probability and not unrealistic hypotheticals.
We're not finishing 13th but sliding out of the finals is something the Hawks would and should consider. Likelihood absolutely plays a part in trades. Keep in mind there are two sides and we have to negotiate our position as much as they have to.

I think we finish 17th next year. We'll clearly be better than Richmond but likely not anyone else. Maybe Melbourne if they pull the trigger on a rebuild. Hawthorn should be good enough to finish top four next year but the teams above them should stick around and Carlton, Fremantle and maybe Essendon should bounce back. If they get a run of injuries, they could miss the 8 altogether. Is it likely? No. Do they consider the possibility? Absolutely.

I think Barrass + F2 for 12 + F1 still skews our way but I see the merit in offering our F3 instead. I just don't know if Hawthorn would go for it.

Just saying he might, a club could decide to **** with them haha and bid on kako early knowing the bombers will have to do it, or trade pick 12 for unders to split it
Wouldnt suprise me, most clubs would love an opportunity to get one back on old dodoro's list

Ive conceded GC will give away all their goodies to Richmond, am trying to think of a way to get another high pick hopefully nisbetts son reads this

How many times is this thread going to melt about the club potentially accepting entirely hypothetical Barrass/Baker trades between now and trade week? I thought nothing would ever be more painful than the pick 1 stuff last year but here we are.
only 45 days until trade period is over :hearteyes:

Then we get to melt about the draft

Nope, why on earth would you do that?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because TB's an elite KPP with 3 years left on his contract. If Hawks want to poach him and offer him 5years at ~$800k-$1m per year, then paying overs is the minimum expectation.

If we are not getting a great deal, I'd rather we keep him. We're not pressed for salary cap and can build a team around him. Hawks need to motivate us to accept a trade.

Agree that’s how the Barrass trade lands, don’t need to repeat my thoughts on Baker but the trades I hope we’d pursue are:

ADEL: 3 for 4 and 25
HAW: Barrass for 12 and 30
FREO: Ryan and part salary for 27 and Knobel
GCS: 23 + 27 + no Lombard bid for pick 13
MELB: BWilliams, Darling, Petch for 38 and 49
PORT: Barnett for Soldo

Hitting those would land us 4,12,13,25,30,38,49,58 as well as Knobel, Soldo and Soldo’s missus
I like Barnett for Soldo

Do you think Adelaide would be willing to give up 25 for a one pick upgrade? I had this as maybe 3 + 59 for 4 + 42. Maybe we could squeeze 3 + F3 for 4 + 25? I don't see it being an outright free pick.

Who could we get at pick 13? Admittedly I've only seen Twomey's draft so I don't know the lay of the land in the teens but I did look at the names that have come up in discussion and I thought pick 11 would be the lowest we would want to be. Freo might help us out with pick 10 for pick 12 and a promise not to select Bo Allan? The Suns' picks feel like they're in an awkward spot for us given some of the names that have come up in this thread, and as much as Richmond fans might want pick 6 for Rioli, it makes more sense for the Suns to use that pick themselves and trade 13 to Richmond.

We cant draft B graders? Whats a B grade player? Duggan and Cripps level?

Jack Williams looks like a solid 2nd ruck and forward.

Long and Hough are decent young role players. Ginbey already solid.

Hutchings with a first full preseason could surprise.
Well Cripps was traded in and duggn, okay I concede there: b grader.

Jack is a tall, I was taking about non Key Position or non talls.

Hough: you got my there and Long: fair call I'm sprung again.

I refused to watch the Geelong game, but heard good things about Hutchings.

In hindsight, bar Duggan, the others mentioned are recent. I was more thinking along the lines of Ainsworth and a cast of 30 others, that I can't think of.

We're not finishing 13th but sliding out of the finals is something the Hawks would and should consider. Likelihood absolutely plays a part in trades. Keep in mind there are two sides and we have to negotiate our position as much as they have to.

I think we finish 17th next year. We'll clearly be better than Richmond but likely not anyone else. Maybe Melbourne if they pull the trigger on a rebuild. Hawthorn should be good enough to finish top four next year but the teams above them should stick around and Carlton, Fremantle and maybe Essendon should bounce back. If they get a run of injuries, they could miss the 8 altogether. Is it likely? No. Do they consider the possibility? Absolutely.

I think Barrass + F2 for 12 + F1 still skews our way but I see the merit in offering our F3 instead. I just don't know if Hawthorn would go for it.

Think it's also lost on some here (maybe because of the whole Tim Kelly situation) that many of our lovely hypotheticals which land us a haul of picks and young talent for little cost, also often requires the other side to have a recruitment team with the collective IQ of a goldfish. Hawthorn aren't idiots and will back away (like we had the right to in the first instalment of the Kelly saga) if we do a Geelong as well and tell them to GAGF if they don't give us everything we want.

12 and 30 for Barrass would be great in a draft many regard as deep. But will Hawthorn part with it? A pick in the 50s for Baker would also be great because he's a role player (apparently) who wants back to WA. But will Richmond accept it?

The absolute worst case scenario of it is a guaranteed upgrade from 19 to 18 (prior to academy shenanigans).

Even if they win the flag, and we win the spoon, we’re getting a slight value add. Let’s say that happens, but there’s an end of first round compo pick from someone leaving, and a start of second round priority pick to North again (or us, if we win the spoon it’s a chance we’d get the ’must trade’ free picks they got.) Now it’s 18 up from 21. If we’re involved in priority picks, we’ve jumped the Hawks again funnily enough.

Now let’s say we win the spoon, there’s no compo whatsoever and the Hawks lose a prelim. 15/16 up from 19.

It’s worth it in so many ways, the upside is massive and even the lowest guaranteed return is a win. So much so that it’ll take some convincing for the Hawks to remotely go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back