List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Barnett for Soldo

Do you think Adelaide would be willing to give up 25 for a one pick upgrade? I had this as maybe 3 + 59 for 4 + 42. Maybe we could squeeze 3 + F3 for 4 + 25? I don't see it being an outright free pick.

Who could we get at pick 13? Admittedly I've only seen Twomey's draft so I don't know the lay of the land in the teens but I did look at the names that have come up in discussion and I thought pick 11 would be the lowest we would want to be. Freo might help us out with pick 10 for pick 12 and a promise not to select Bo Allan? The Suns' picks feel like they're in an awkward spot for us given some of the names that have come up in this thread, and as much as Richmond fans might want pick 6 for Rioli, it makes more sense for the Suns to use that pick themselves and trade 13 to Richmond.
Essendon paid Geelong pick 30 to from 11 to 10
Port paid us F29 to go from 14 to 12

So pick 25 to go from 4 to 3 seems about right based on precedent.

Having 12 and 13 back to back presents a good opportunity to balance player traits we want to get in. I’d personally want Travaglia and Lindsay there with Berry and probably yep Allan as back ups. But I’d really only trade up if I knew it was going to get one of the first two as pick 23 and 27 are valuable in their own right this year.

Suns should do exactly what you suggested but their pick currency value is totally different to the rest of the competition.

A Richmond supporter (that’s apparently itk has stated it’s a done deal for a first rounder plus Grainger Barrass. Make of it what you will
The_Gun?

Mate, he's the biggest troll on the D&T board. Nothing 'ITK' about him whatsoever.

More like 'NFI'.

A Richmond supporter (that’s apparently itk has stated it’s a done deal for a first rounder plus Grainger Barrass. Make of it what you will
There’s no way anything is a done deal until we know where Hawthorn’s first round pick lands (anywhere from 11-18 currently). The range is massive at the moment, and where it lands will determine what else is/isn’t included in the trade.

I’ll be banning anyone who includes Denver Grainger-Barrass in any trade scenario

He’s going to be delisted by Hawthorn so if, and it’s a very very big if, we want him then we can snap him up as a DFA or look at him as a train on for a SSP spot should we leave one open

Or we could offer him a WAFL contract for the Beagles which seems to be his level

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮💣💣💣💣💣💣💣💣 ⚠️⚠️⚠️

going to be lots of squeaky bums on this board over the next few months as we wait and see whether or not we make the right recruiting decisions.

If the Hawks want Barrass, their current pick 12 and another first rounder below that is the bare minimum. If the Hawks don't want to, he is an Eagle next year and the price is the same next year.

We have to be aggressive at the trade table and not let players go for massive unders, then turn around and happily pay massive overs (Kelly, Tim)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Barnett for Soldo

Do you think Adelaide would be willing to give up 25 for a one pick upgrade? I had this as maybe 3 + 59 for 4 + 42. Maybe we could squeeze 3 + F3 for 4 + 25? I don't see it being an outright free pick.

Who could we get at pick 13? Admittedly I've only seen Twomey's draft so I don't know the lay of the land in the teens but I did look at the names that have come up in discussion and I thought pick 11 would be the lowest we would want to be. Freo might help us out with pick 10 for pick 12 and a promise not to select Bo Allan? The Suns' picks feel like they're in an awkward spot for us given some of the names that have come up in this thread, and as much as Richmond fans might want pick 6 for Rioli, it makes more sense for the Suns to use that pick themselves and trade 13 to Richmond.

Pick 13 in the live draft.

In terms of wce draft order of usefulness, might be something like:
1. Jagga smith
2. Sid Draper
3. Finn O’Sullivan
4. Sam Lalor
5. Josh Smillie
6. Kyle Langford
7. Murphy Reid
8. Luke Trainor
9. Tobie Travaglia

10. Bo Allan
11. Xavier Lindsay
12. Joe Berry

13. Taj Hotton

In reality, pick 13 would likely end up as pick 16 or 17, with the following academy types likely to be taken and a possible battle compo:

Will Ashcroft
Leo Lombard
Izaac Kako

Harry Armstrong would be very likely to be taken before pick 13, but we wouldn’t have a need for another KPF. The reality therefore is we could expect to be guaranteed one of the top 12 listed above - which is a decent list.
It does drop off for us imo after 9 live draft picks, and then again after 12.

So basically I’m most interested in top 10 draft picks (with not much difference in value between 1-10 compared to most years) and then top 13 picks.

After that we can expect quite a few talls etc and we could settle for a scattergun approach.

At this stage the value range in the draft for us feels like top 10, then 20+

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because TB's an elite KPP with 3 years left on his contract. If Hawks want to poach him and offer him 5years at ~$800k-$1m per year, then paying overs is the minimum expectation.

If we are not getting a great deal, I'd rather we keep him. We're not pressed for salary cap and can build a team around him. Hawks need to motivate us to accept a trade.
And after not trading him how do you propose to motivate Tom?.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How can we trust its from trac camp and not melb football club hit pieces camp?

He nearly died anywhere away from the place that nearly killed him and caused him and wife trauma is logical.

Also does he want to stay in melb fish bowl after that trauma. It's a circus and will stay a circus if he stay in melb or goes to vic club
Trauma? It's footy, a contact sport not a youtube influencer crying for likes.

He's mummas boy and won't leave Melbourne anyway.

There are obviously other factors at play.

He literally had a near death experience from a work related injury. Club medico's didnt do so well.

He has had alot of time lying in bed in alot of pain. Alot of pain.

And I would suggest he came to the conclusion that due to all the other reasons. Off field. Drug use. Lack of effort. Etc. He came to the conclusion Im not putting my body on the line again for this club and this group of unprofessional party boys.

It isnt hard to understand really.

If the Hawks want Barrass, their current pick 12 and another first rounder below that is the bare minimum. If the Hawks don't want to, he is an Eagle next year and the price is the same next year.

We have to be aggressive at the trade table and not let players go for massive unders, then turn around and happily pay massive overs (Kelly, Tim)
Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of holding on to TB in the hope he helps us win a flag next year. We need draft picks to speed up our rebuild and clubs know it

I for one, don’t want to be holding on to an underpaid, 29 year old Barrass next year, with every month he plays diminishing his trade value as he gets older.

There are obviously other factors at play.

He literally had a near death experience from a work related injury. Club medico's didnt do so well.

He has had alot of time lying in bed in alot of pain. Alot of pain.

And I would suggest he came to the conclusion that due to all the other reasons. Off field. Drug use. Lack of effort. Etc. He came to the conclusion Im not putting my body on the line again for this club and this group of unprofessional party boys.

It isnt hard to understand really.

I see both points.

Would be bloody hard to be the best trainer out there striving for another flag then seeing w***ers like Oliver lob in late and totally cooked as well as having to talk to Steven May without punching him.

By then same token I can’t stand the PR campaign in the media trying to force a trade. He signed a contract with Melbourne and they are within their rights to hold him to it. Both parties take risks with long term deals and Trac’s hasn’t worked out how he envisaged. That’s part and parcel of the industry.

He’s well within his rights to be disillusioned request a trade, it doesn’t mean Melbourne have to grant it and I don’t mind their public posturing in response to his. This is going to get ugly.

Yeah has to be, the Eagles statement yesterday seemed clear we were going to accept a first rounder wherever it may land and a ****ing spud that's about to be delisted...

I’d imagine the same way as geelong did when they refused our offer the first year…..
We don’t have the luxury of not trading Barrass at, arguably, his highest value.
Geelong were competing for the flag and having TK on their team was of obvious importance challenging for the flag,

Barrass’ value only plummets from here as he gets closer to being 30 years old

Not trading him puts a serious dent in our rebuild

I see both points.

Would be bloody hard to be the best trainer out there striving for another flag then seeing w***ers like Oliver lob in late and totally cooked as well as having to talk to Steven May without punching him.

By then same token I can’t stand the PR campaign in the media trying to force a trade. He signed a contract with Melbourne and they are within their rights to hold him to it. Both parties take risks with long term deals and Trac’s hasn’t worked out how he envisaged. That’s part and parcel of the industry.

He’s well within his rights to be disillusioned request a trade, it doesn’t mean Melbourne have to grant it and I don’t mind their public posturing in response to his. This is going to get ugly.
Every club would have its share of play hard party hard types though. As well as the opposite. All types to succeed and blah blah.

I agree that any deal over 4 years is pure folly and not something smart clubs should entertain.

Petracca would improve our list✅️ but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping he would move.
Leave it to the Melbourne based clubs circle jerk while we go about our business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back