List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
DGB did hurt a knee early in the season or pre-season so this season has been a right off , although not an ACL. In a new environment might get back to form .

Wasn't it turf toe?

Like he pretty much broke his toe kicking the ground not the ball.

Those types of mishaps don't help a players trade value.

toe stub GIF

This

We’re likely to delist most, if not all, of Rotham, Witherden, Jones, L Edwards and Trew who are all in that 22-26 age bracket that we’re light on for because they’re all fringe players at best

If we simply replace them with a different group of fringe players in the same age group we aren’t really progressing the list all that much

Setting aside trade cost for a moment Baker is better than that group. So is Graham and Peatling. Probably Garcia too although I think he’s more likely to stay at the Bulldogs

The other names being floated like Parfitt (who I don’t mind), Sheldrick, Carroll and Robertson are all outside their current teams best 22. In some cases, they’re probably outside the best 28-30

So bringing more than 1 or 2 of those is the sort of thing Essendon and St Kilda have done that’s got them nowhere beyond mid table

The trade period for us is shaping as our most active in a very long time

Really interested to see how it pans out
If we have roles to fill then theres no reason we shouldnt chase those types.

We have nobody who can play a defensive mid role that Parfitt/graham can fill, so its an instant upgrade on our best 22 even if they were a worse or similarly good/bad player as some guys we delisted.

Our mid 20s guys play the wrong roles, if we can fit them in around the kids rather than them fighting for spots with the kids we will be better off.

There is, but that limit is probably 4, maybe 5.

And I doubt we get that many.

If we landed all of Parfitt, Graham, Baker, Peatling and another ruck (let’s say Soldo but could be a Knobel or others) we would be doing well. And whilst losing Barrass, we likely/certainly improve our draft hand at the same time.

With 10 list changes (estimated) it still leaves us 4 picks in the draft/s.

Likelihood is we don’t get all 5, but if we can we should!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Like the idea, but too many mids would be a waste of time. If we get Parfitt and Graham, Baker and Peatling dont serve much purpose and the resources to get them in would be better spent elsewhere. We still have to fit the younger mids in there

Its very desperate on our behalf. Imagine losing Barrass because we didnt want to pay up and then signing Graham.

One will net us some valuable draft capital and the other is a free agent.

Its very desperate on our behalf. Imagine losing Barrass because we didnt want to pay up and then signing Graham.
We aren't losing Barrass because we're not paying up.

We have obviously decided we'd prefer the draft capital, rather than paying. If we'd wanted to keep him we could have paid him what he wanted

/assuming it's purely financial, and not the fact he wanted to play in Melbourne, and play for a decent team.

That’s too many.

Unless some of them are coming in as SSP’s, they’ll take senior list spots, which means less ND picks.

If we’re making 10 list changes then three or four of them (at least) will be guys coming off the rookie list - Baker, Trew, Culley, Rawlinson are the most likely.

Bringing in four recycled players onto the senior list would mean we’d only have two or, at most, three ND picks.

In a supposedly deep draft, for a supposedly rebuilding team, that’s nowhere near enough.
We currently have 1 extra rookie, and 1 less main list spot.
If we delisted 10, including 3 rookies, we would get 8 main list spots

This draft seems to be considered deep with quality players up until the late 30’s. For this reason I’d prefer to stock up on picks this year than next. There’s also the added bonus of the extra year of development so this is what I’d be hoping for worst case.

Trade Barrass for Hawks First round pick and the Magpies second rounder. This is more preferable to me than rolling the dice on a small upgrade of our second next year. If we can get their first and next years first without the need of our future second then go for it but if they baulk this should be the bare minimum.

Overpay for Graham to trigger a Band 3 compo and give Tigers a future 2nd for Baker. They are essentially getting two low second round picks but this allows us to keep this years pick which will be more valuable to us.

Take Champion with our fourth round pick this year and trade a future third or fourth for someone like Garcia, Carrol, Robertson etc etc

We can always trade future picks next year to get back in the later parts of the draft for Walley and Banfield.

So in a nutshell

OUT: Barrass, F2

IN: Pick 12, Pick 30, Baker, Graham, Champion

Go to the draft with

Four picks inside 40, done and dusted.

We currently have 1 extra rookie, and 1 less main list spot.
If we delisted 10, including 3 rookies, we would get 8 main list spots

I’d forgotten about being one senior spot short.

But I don’t see how we’re losing seven off the senior list without starting to axe several players still in contract.

I’d forgotten about being one senior spot short.

But I don’t see how we’re losing seven off the senior list without starting to axe several players still in contract.
actually just checking again, we are at 36 main list and 8 rookies right now(after Gaff retired). Pretty sure its 38 main list spots max

We have 5 main list guys OOC, delist them and 2 rookies should be 7 main list additions if I have it right.
Trade out Barrass gives us 8

3 players and 5 picks, or 4 and 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't losing Barrass because we're not paying up.

We have obviously decided we'd prefer the draft capital, rather than paying. If we'd wanted to keep him we could have paid him what he wanted

/assuming it's purely financial, and not the fact he wanted to play in Melbourne, and play for a decent team.
from all reports there was a handshake agreement by the old WCE management to increase his contract value given the huge increase to the salary cap.

its just funny that it is now we draw a line in the sand regarding this when there were old credits crew basically living their final years on such arrangements.

Mitch Cleary

@cleary_mitch

Liam Baker has informed Richmond today that he will be returning home to WA. He is yet to nominate whether that will be the Eagles or the Dockers
@7NewsMelbourne

@7AFL

from all reports there was a handshake agreement by the old WCE management to increase his contract value given the huge increase to the salary cap.

its just funny that it is now we draw a line in the sand regarding this when there were old credits crew basically living their final years on such arrangements.
Different management. Its not hard to believe, just unfortunate for Tom

I remember reading on the blues board last year that Carroll was being chased by us. It wouldn’t surprise if we were still interested.

Parfitt I think is the kind of guy we probably should be looking at more than Graham.

Inevitably he’s a stop gap and hopefully in 2-3 years we will midfielders that have overtaken him. So if there is no draft capital expended, and we don’t offer him a ridiculous years contract, it will be a good move to improve our floor of talent.

What I really hope we don’t do, is become freo circa 2016- offering list spots to all “returning” WA players or players on the fringe just because they were available. (Colyer, Kersten, conca etc) They had some years of pain with that. I think it’s why I am happy we are seemingly in the hunt for Peatling. He’s a bit left field and exactly the sort of player we need to be attracting.

Ladie's & Gentlemen. The time has come for the Key Piece to all our imminent futures. After the SPACEWALK Launch goes up at 3:38 AM Florida time. The real madness begins on this Earth. Take note of the words "Smart Contracts" Think Union dissolving recently. Fish & Chips. This launch has been postponed twice since Sunday. So fingers crossed it launches. I will be back to guide. They will cyber attack stock markets and many things will shutdown on Earth. Many distractions. Follow The Sun. CME, Stellar Corona. 😊😊 . Will bring this back for AFL and anyother sport on Earth.

Attachments

• IMG_20240828_111333.jpg
    IMG_20240828_111333.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240828_111330.jpg
    IMG_20240828_111330.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 45
Ladie's & Gentlemen. The time has come for the Key Piece to all our imminent futures. After the SPACEWALK Launch goes up at 3:38 AM Florida time. The real madness begins on this Earth. Take note of the words "Smart Contracts" Think Union dissolving recently. Fish & Chips. This launch has been postponed twice since Sunday. So fingers cross it launches. I will be back to guide. They will cyber attack stock markets and many things will shutdown on Earth. Many distractions. Follow The Sun. CME, Stellar Corona. 😊😊 . Will bring this back for AFL and anyother sport on Earth.
what

Ladie's & Gentlemen. The time has come for the Key Piece to all our imminent futures. After the SPACEWALK Launch goes up at 3:38 AM Florida time. The real madness begins on this Earth. Take note of the words "Smart Contracts" Think Union dissolving recently. Fish & Chips. This launch has been postponed twice since Sunday. So fingers crossed it launches. I will be back to guide. They will cyber attack stock markets and many things will shutdown on Earth. Many distractions. Follow The Sun. CME, Stellar Corona. 😊😊 . Will bring this back for AFL and anyother sport on Earth.
I’ll trade you a future fifth rounder to donate your brain to science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back