Malceski's done his knee again

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he passed on? one wonders on reading though.

Horse's first true test whilst holding the reins. Does he go conservative and stick with a Shaw or doorMattner - tried and tested. Or perhaps attack, and look to a free running long kicking superstar to solve this setback, such as Hanners The Halfback. Mal's role is the M1 of the back line, give it to a God - not the God awful.
In Hanners we trust.

Really feel for the bloke.Hope all goes well and he's back on the park soon.
We don't have a player to replace Mal as his kicking into the forward line is so consistant and he sets up many plays.
I guess this is a chance for Rohan and Everitt to stand up.They both get the ball,Rohan's tackling is awesome but they both need to improve their disposal skills.

really feel for the bloke, terrible news. terrible for the team as well considering how well he was going.

i've read a couple of articles, but none say exactly what happened. did the ligament completely snap? thats thee impression i got from the articles?

Has he passed on? one wonders on reading though..

Maybe not, but a 3rd reco at the ripe old age of 26??

Took him awhile to get back into the swing of things after the LARS the last time. If it takes more than a year to get right could be the beginning of the end for a very promising young guy.

Plus we have Craig Bolton to return

Do we?

The longer the Bolton injury drags out, the more convinced I am that he has played his last game in the red and white. :(

Given the current injuries to Bolton, Kennelly and Malceski I'm a sad panda indeed! :(:(:(

New video on the Swans website of Nick Smith talking about his recovery from injury and playing his first game this weekend. Eventually got asked who would be a good purchase for those playing DT this year...

"Yeh I reckon Nick Malceski will be a good pick".

I laughed.

While it is horrible news (especially for Mal), HBF is probably the position we can cover most easily - Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly (assuming he gets back), Everitt, Rohan, Sumner all have something to offer in the role. Some were going to miss out anyway. Rather lose someone from that position than one of our first tier midfield brigade.

While we have plenty of HBF options, none have his quality of delivery into F50, a skill which seems to be critical in current day AFL with its full team presses etc. This is a BIG kick in the guts for us.

Just read the terrible news and now have to deliver it to my mother.. who is one of his biggest fans!!! and was so excited about his preseason. I have to say I am very fond of watching him play as well.

Good luck to him and I hope all goes well with the op we will miss him thats for sure, hopefully one of new defenders can step up. Good luck Mal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not, but a 3rd reco at the ripe old age of 26??

Took him awhile to get back into the swing of things after the LARS the last time. If it takes more than a year to get right could be the beginning of the end for a very promising young guy.
. :(

:(:(:(

Is he running again yet?

While we have plenty of HBF options, none have his quality of delivery into F50, a skill which seems to be critical in current day AFL with its full team presses etc. This is a BIG kick in the guts for us.

Granted, but if you consider the players most of us would probably consider to be in the top 10 most important - if not best - the role he plays would be easier to cover than had it been Mumford, Reg, Goodesy, Jack, probably Kennedy and arguably a few others too. We'll certainly miss him - he's an excellent player - but there are others waiting to step through the door it has opened. We just have to find out if they're good enough to compensate.

Granted, but if you consider the players most of us would probably consider to be in the top 10 most important - if not best - the role he plays would be easier to cover than had it been Mumford, Reg, Goodesy, Jack, probably Kennedy and arguably a few others too. We'll certainly miss him - he's an excellent player - but there are others waiting to step through the door it has opened. We just have to find out if they're good enough to compensate.

Liz

on the outside i would agree with you. A running outside half back flanker can look a dime a dozen and you can get someone to fill in the role of picking up 15-20 cheap posies. What is hard to replace is the damage Malceski can do with his boot. He is a sensational damaging kick. a lot was made of Brisbane injuries woes last year but the one that hurt them the most (along with Brown of course) was Drummond, a player able to change the direction at full speed and deliver the ball on a spot at that moment is not as common as the theory of a dime a dozen midfielder/ flanker. His loss hurt more than the others.

It's not the numbers of possessions that's going to hurt it's what they can do with the ball that's going to hurt.

The current game classy half back flankers who can find space and deliver the ball accurately are vital for breaking the forward press. In terms of importance to our team which has question marks on both pace and skill Malceski is so important to that make up he ranks alongside the names you have given for importance to the team (Goodes aside of course).

This why is has to be Hanners CAS.
We need polish when pushing forward. Our superstar cygnet is best placed to provided game defining service like no other, all without breaking team balance. He has the fitness and finesse to make merry. And what better sight for those further afield - Than Hanners The Halfback, with ball in hand. Streaming straight up the guts, like a very Manly ferry, setting sail for the centre! He is ready and demanding of a leading role.
From Kid Cameo - to King Catalyst.
In Hanners we trust, for our forward thrust.:thumbsu:

This why is has to be Hanners CAS.
We need polish when pushing forward. Our superstar cygnet is best placed to provided game defining service like no other, all without breaking team balance. He has the fitness and finesse to make merry. And what better sight for those further afield - Than Hanners The Halfback, with ball in hand. Streaming straight up the guts, like a very Manly ferry, setting sail for the centre! He is ready and demanding of a leading role.
From Kid Cameo - to King Catalyst.
In Hanners we trust, for our forward thrust.:thumbsu:

No. Hanners' strength is not his kicking. He's not a shocking kick by any means, but we've got more damaging kicks on our team. He would be much better utilised as an inside/outside midfielder.

I reckon we'll see Sumner step into the HBF role. He's a superb kick, accurate and penetrating, he's quick, and he's tough. The fact that he's yet to be dropped this preseason tells me Longmire rates him. I reckon he'll have debuted by Rd 8.

I reckon we'll see Sumner step into the HBF role. He's a superb kick, accurate and penetrating, he's quick, and he's tough. The fact that he's yet to be dropped this preseason tells me Longmire rates him. I reckon he'll have debuted by Rd 8.

I agree on Sumner. Malceski's injury may prove to be a blessing in disguise. Is a very good kick from what I have seen. Sumner could be anything, certainly has all the attributes to be a successful AFL footballer.

Liz

on the outside i would agree with you. A running outside half back flanker can look a dime a dozen and you can get someone to fill in the role of picking up 15-20 cheap posies. What is hard to replace is the damage Malceski can do with his boot. He is a sensational damaging kick. a lot was made of Brisbane injuries woes last year but the one that hurt them the most (along with Brown of course) was Drummond, a player able to change the direction at full speed and deliver the ball on a spot at that moment is not as common as the theory of a dime a dozen midfielder/ flanker. His loss hurt more than the others.

It's not the numbers of possessions that's going to hurt it's what they can do with the ball that's going to hurt.

The current game classy half back flankers who can find space and deliver the ball accurately are vital for breaking the forward press. In terms of importance to our team which has question marks on both pace and skill Malceski is so important to that make up he ranks alongside the names you have given for importance to the team (Goodes aside of course).

I am not saying it won't hurt us. Just that it won't hurt us as much as losing Mummy, Goodes, Grundy, Jack or Kennedy for an extended period. Those players are more unique in what they bring to the team.

I am not saying it won't hurt us. Just that it won't hurt us as much as losing Mummy, Goodes, Grundy, Jack or Kennedy for an extended period. Those players are more unique in what they bring to the team.

Liz i hear your point.

I don't concur. I think Malceski's loss will hurt us every bit as much as the last 3 you named and Malceski's skill set with his feet is unique among our flankers and midfield.

In our current predicament (given the injuries we have atm) I'd say guys like Mumford, Goodes, Jack, Grundy, Kennedy, Bradshaw are the guys who would really hurt us to lose for an extended period of time. Malceski is probably in the group just under that IMO. But the more I think of it...his disposal is so good, he may well be considered as important as some of those named before.

Big loss still and CAS has outlined that quite well I feel. A player who can "see 60m in advance". What I mean is someone who can see play developing up the field and with his brilliant disposal can help those plays happen with long and quick delivery.

I'm hoping Sumner gets a crack. Big fan of his.

A savage blow for the Esky. He was at the top of his game, too. Might've made AA this year the way he was going.

I kind of agree with Liz. We have a bit of depth at esky's position even though he was a clear #1 on the depth chart. Sumner showed us something against the pies, but will he get the opportunity to show us more? Shaw has pace to burn and works hard, but I think he's a liability down back - averages a gift goal per game to the opposition. Also his delivery to the forwards is iffy at best. Mattner...meh. Does more good than bad but lacks creativity or something. I still think he holds his spot down back, but I dont want him as the main man running out of defense. I dont think Kennelly will be in good enough form to take up the job with the preseason he's had. Rohan has the tools but might lack the composure or experience. He's played most of his career as a forward.

Give Sumner first crack, Horse.

I agree on Sumner. Malceski's injury may prove to be a blessing in disguise. Is a very good kick from what I have seen. Sumner could be anything, certainly has all the attributes to be a successful AFL footballer.

I've become a huge fan of his since I saw him in a few ressies games. Even in his poorish games, he just had a look about him. Makes me think of a blend of Rodan and McLeod (of course, the fact they are black helps with this association, but there's no shame in that, it's just how the brain works). Rodan's toughness and body shape, McLeod's smoothness and kicking ability. Of course, that's not to say he'll be as good as either, but he's still worth getting excited about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malceski's done his knee again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back