Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really got the good Scott brother.

Have a listen to Brad Scotts after match presser.

He sounds like a guy who has no answers and doesn't seem like a great leader to me at all.
The Essendon supporters I know are mentally cooked. He has come in, got them playing better than they likely would other wise but probably need 2 more drafts to bring in the players they need, ship out the trash, and develop their kids before they seriously crack at a top 4 spot.

The way the bombers fans I know are acting its like Scott has taken over a Premiership winning team and has them bottom 4.

They only have one game at the 'G (against a broken and injury riddled Pies outfit). They will win that. Pies are cooked.

Their other game is against Saints at Marvel - they do tend to play well at Marvel, but Saints will be a danger game. Other two games at the Gabba. Saints only one they might drop..

They will win at least three of the last four, probably all four IMO.

Their win against Swans was huge last week, whilst we served up an all time stinker on our home deck (again). No one to blame other than ourselves dropping three games at home against average opposition. Especially Port game. But wehn you have the midfield we have, we aren't contenders. I actually think we have had a good year and if we win a final or two, it's been a success given where our list is at

Swans and Lions all but locked in for top 2 now IMO.

They have st kilda at marvel which wont be a gimme (bris have a poor record at marvel compared to st kilda who are good there compared to anywhere else) plus coll at the G-coll may have some players back by then and it will be an elim final for them so they will play like their season depends on it.
Plus the giants at gabba is no gimme.
Bris could finish 2nd but its just as likely carlton or us grab it.

In any case bris dont worry me they are a paper tiger. Its sydney (at the scg) or the blues that id most worry about.

As for the rest i agree we arent contenders this year but i also think no one is a standout contender. The league is poor this year and if theres ever going to be a bradbury flag this is the year. We just need to hit form for a month anything is possible.

The Essendon supporters I know are mentally cooked. He has come in, got them playing better than they likely would other wise but probably need 2 more drafts to bring in the players they need, ship out the trash, and develop their kids before they seriously crack at a top 4 spot.

The way the bombers fans I know are acting its like Scott has taken over a Premiership winning team and has them bottom 4.
Yeah but 2 more drafts, draftees take 2ish years to come on properly, Merrett is 32 at that point.

Yeah but 2 more drafts, draftees take 2ish years to come on properly, Merrett is 32 at that point.
Oh if Merrett wants a flag it ain't happening at Essendon. He would have to leave for a club like Geelong. But even then Bombers need 2 more drafts, get 2 talented kids and 2 talents guys in their mid 20s and off they go. Yes that logic applies to most clubs, Bombers really need another tall forward to help Langford and another key defender.

We really got the good Scott brother.

Have a listen to Brad Scotts after match presser.

He sounds like a guy who has no answers and doesn't seem like a great leader to me at all.
The environment they entered into probably has a lot to do with it. Chris came into a winning culture and had a plethora of elite footy nous and copious amounts of experience all around him, from the administration, to the footy department, to the players on the field, and all that would have helped shape him shape an understanding of how to sustain high-level success and his personal coaching outlook.

By contrast, Brad went to a side in the mud with very limited resources that was a bit of the blind leading the blind. Over time, Brad got them to be competitive but it's interesting to see the parallels now between North in their best years with him and Essendon. His run with North was a bit of a disappointment and mediocre was probably the best way to sum up the club at the height of its era with him. Like he did with North, he's teased Essendon fans. Remember that year North won 9 games straight and then wound up just slipping into 8th for an elimination final drubbing by Adelaide? This year's a bit like that from Essendon.

This Essendon side seems to have more talent, and the club is definitely more well resourced, than what he had at North, so perhaps the limitations of his coaching have become more pronounced at this point.

They were acting like they were flag chances when they were 3 rd spot…I knew the fall was going to hit them hard but stayed Mum and enjoyed the stupid posts from my Ess supporting relatives and friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back