Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

• We were bound to drop one soon so no need to panic but there are a few worries regarding the bigger picture. The starts just cannot be allowed to continue, our high scoring ways have masked some pretty shonky goal kicking. Good teams can go 4 qrts and both those things were exposed today as they could be in a final.
  • My Biggest concern is our ability to win the tight ones when we trail with 5 minutes to go. We go 50/50 in the close ones when we lead by a goal or so with 5 to go (which is about as expected), but when we are chasing we always seem to fluff it, often get chances at the winning shots but always miss.
  • McLean was great in the first half but really disappointed with the 3 talls in the second. Got flogged by kids younger than them. McLean lost some contests late he just shouldn't have.
  • Midfield got schooled in clearance.
  • To be fair if not for the gather round umpiring debacle against Carlton, Freo would be clear second they're one of the better teams we can face.
  • Provided we don't let this spiral into a form slump a loss could be a good thing. Might be a bit of a kick up the ass, cause we haven't played 4 qtr games for a while now.
  • McInerney was great, and Blakey stood up big time almost won us the game. Errol got involved late too. Good audit to see who gets it done when tight late and who panicked a bit.

One thing

You would be surprised how many players/ athletes actually read online comments about themselves.

You're not the ones playing footy at that level, so really suggest not going after individuals.

I think the team a a whole will be disappointed after today, especially after some of our pressure acts.

Some of the comments around Taylor are complete rubbish, he is in the packs getting the ball out, pretty standard efficiency. The missed goal aside he was good today

I thought he was really poor and one of the reasons we lost. They won the midfield battle pretty comprehensively.

Some of the comments around Taylor are complete rubbish, he is in the packs getting the ball out, pretty standard efficiency. The missed goal aside he was good today
Mate, he was shocking today. Zero composure on a number of occasions and 2 stupid frees given away.

I rate him, but today was not his day.

One thing

You would be surprised how many players/ athletes actually read online comments about themselves.

You're not the ones playing footy at that level, so really suggest not going after individuals.

I think the team a a whole will be disappointed after today, especially after some of our pressure acts.

PM me the goss :p

Garbage start and going back to old ways of opposition waltzing the ball out of the back of the centre clearances. Warner was effing arrogant and Freo closed down Gulden and Heeney well.
Reacted too late to Serong smashing us in the clearances. Some poor pressure across the ground gave them easy entries.
To get that close considering was an effort although he missed I was glad to see Logan take responsibility for the shot at goal at the end. Lizard , McLean were exceptional thought Campbell really tried hard.
Really need a plan b when the opposition gets a run on early and slow the game down and look for targets rather than playing on at every opportunity we were good at it a couple of years ago seems to have dropped off this year.
Umpiring , well as normal across the comp inconsistent nothing will happen until they are full time and can spend the week reviewing all the games and how each game was umpired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a bit of over-the-top criticism.

But asking if he holds his spot when Mills returns is a fair question.

As is whether he’s offering more than Parker would.

Mate, he was shocking today. Zero composure on a number of occasions and 2 stupid frees given away.

I rate him, but today was not his day.

That downfield in the 3 should be a fine to the Dockers player for staging.

The other one yep dumb free, but in his defence he had laid two unrewarded tackles.

He worked hard and did his job mostly and hit up quite a few scoring opportunities, I think he was fine /solid and played his role. He is the least of our issues today imo.

No excuse for lack of pressure today. That’s just a mindset and we are two games off a bye.
Good news is we are 2 games clear and getting a wake up call at this stage of the season I believe will be a blessing.

Negatives are obvious.

Silver linings:

1. Freo in top 4 is probably good for us in finals.
2. How often do Heeney, Warner, Gulden and Grundy all have a shocker on the same day? Even Warner was good in the 2022 GF.
3. We've finally been bitten by a shocking first quarter - hopefully this is the kick in the arse we need to fix it.
4. Logan's value in the open market probably just (somewhat unfairly) decreased, same with Chad. Hopefully that means good things for us retaining them.
5. How good were Blakey, McLean and McInerney?

McLean was great in the first half when Fremantle were on top.

Fyfe tagging Heeney worked well in their favour. A pity that Warner and Gulden happened to be off on the same day. Turnovers made it difficult for our defense and their forwards found a lot of space

Happy that Campbell had a good game, Rampe and Blakey were great in the last

Hayward had a very good third quarter in our comeback

When we matched their pressure, the scoreboard started turning quickly. Need to fix our starts, in the next two months

He is rubbish IMO, and as soon as Parker is available he should switch with him and lead our VFL midfield the rest of his contract.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Sorry but it was. There were players just not putting in early and relying on the rest of the team to do it for them. Tactics were rubbish , blind handballs and taps forward were picked off every time. We needed to be reminded . They will be a different side next week as a result.

We will be the best team in the comp when we win the flag and no sooner.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
We are the best team currently...no question. If we aren't the best in it at the moment then who is? No one knows what's going to happen, we can only judge the right now. Not saying we will definitely win the flag btw but as things stand we are the best. I just hope we keep it up and that's the way we finish the season.

Not to mention he bounces it like he is bouncing a ****ing basket ball. For a gun player he can be pretty dumb.
The amount of times he burned team mates in the middle and tried doing it himself was infuriating. It was as if he was trying to show off the to club that wants him.

I’m not disappointed in the outcome or the second half effort. I’m sort of pleased they lost because the way we are starting needs to stop and hopefully they’ll realise this.

Mcinerney had a very good first half and great goal in the third showing his running power. Very quiet in the last.

Grundy worked into it - I said complimenting myself - that Grundy would have his work cut out against darcy and Jackson - they’re good and their centre and clearance dominance went a long way to the win

Lots of love for McLean as there should be. But he was obliterated in several contests in the last. You can’t win them all and he was really our only good tall forward but wasn’t quite there when we needed.

Interesting coaching move by horse to switch Jordan off Clark at half time - he had more of an impact thereafter.

Heeney did at best ok. He falls repeatedly at the moment. He is only going at the moment -
Basically last 4-5 weeks he’s been our fourth best mid and serong and brayshaw smashed him around the ball.

Chad had a solid second half. Not a good one. He opened things up a bit in the second half but he’s trying hard

Hayward was easily our most likely forward. Part of the reason I didn’t understand Logan’s change of routine is because Hayward who doesn’t have any greater length in his kicks was comfortably kicking 50z

Overall there were a lot of things that went wrong today. Some horrendous tackling a lot of balls bouncing the wrong way. But they outworked us for theee quarters and were the better side in the day. It’s a little worrying that their best tall defender didn’t play. I wonder what would have happened had he played

Remove this Banner Ad

Back