Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be pretty demotivating to arguably be the best performer this past month of SANFL, have the club’s best three midfielders all out with injury and still not crack the team.

Not to mention the misuse of him for the opening months of the season.
Imagine you are sitting home debating on whether to go to the game or not and you find out Curtin is playing SANFL again?

Sure most people go just because but this would click a few more through the gates

As the Dollars man even Silvers would be having a word to Nicks

'' but you cant mess with selection''

' its one player FFS he wont make a difference ' - oops I channelled some people here for Jones, Murphy/McHenry

What I'm saying is that you severely underestimate how much impact a major ground-up rebuild has on the ability to win games, and how long a major ground-up rebuild takes to complete (to the point where the team is a consistent finals contender again).

Agreed, the club is pulling itself out of its first true mess and the transition from 2018 to 2021 was damaging.

Screaming, crying, sacking coaches and demanding an inquest is what clubs like St Kilda do.

Melbourne's took from 2007 to 2021 which included several <7-9 win seasons, a spike and a big drop before a flag.

Norf are coached by Clarkson - one of the all-time greats, yet they haven't made it out of the bottom-2 in years.

What I'm saying is that you severely underestimate how much impact a major ground-up rebuild has on the ability to win games, and how long a major ground-up rebuild takes to complete (to the point where the team is a consistent finals contender again).
And what I'm saying is you have a stunningly low level of acceptance. You're basically the reverse-Phil Walsh.

As at the end of 2019, we had 45 players on our list of which 16 remain (inc Sloane) so correctly around only 1/3 of our list remain.

Now the disappointing part of those 16 inc the likes of Smith, Jones, McHenry and Murphy. Then we have Strachan.

Others are - Crouch, Laird, Walker, O’Brien, Himmelberg, Fogarty, Scholl, Hamill, Butts and Milera.
Entirely possible we lose EH, Ned, Hamill this year as well as Sloane and then Smith, Strachan, Crouch next year. That'll be under 10 players left from the same time 6 years earlier. Crazy, not many clubs have cut that hard (but we had to)

What time do they normally announce the trimmed down squad?

Not sure if the server can handle the incoming meltdown if Curtin is not playing, especially if Mchenry does get in the team.

And what I'm saying is you have a stunningly low level of acceptance. You're basically the reverse-Phil Walsh.
No... I just don't believe in throwing hissy fits when the club sees things differently to what I do, and doesn't react the way I want them to react. Many BF posters have severely blinkered views, and can barely see the trees, let alone the forrest.

Melbourne's took from 2007 to 2021 which included several <7-9 win seasons, a spike and a big drop before a flag.

That's because they had to rebuild twice. The first build completely failed.

It's not an exaggeration to say that ALL of the first round picks Melbourne took between 2007 and 2012 failed. Cale Morton, Jack Grimes, Jack Watts, Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Lucas Cook, traded one for Mitch Clark, Jesse Hogan... six years of drafting with not one of those players being part of their premiership team

Also had a run of terrible coaches in that period, including Mark Neeld

Once they recruited Paul Roos to be their coach and fixed their recruiting they finally started to rise

Around 5pm EST time I think.
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

As at the end of 2019, we had 45 players on our list of which 16 remain (inc Sloane) so correctly around only 1/3 of our list remain.

Now the disappointing part of those 16 inc the likes of Smith, Jones, McHenry and Murphy. Then we have Strachan.

Others are - Crouch, Laird, Walker, O’Brien, Himmelberg, Fogarty, Scholl, Hamill, Butts and Milera.
Does "As at the end of 2019" include or exclude the 2019 draftees?

The rebuild really started at the end of 2018, a year before Nicks' appointment. Players drafted in 2018 had only been in the system for 12 months before Nicks arrived at the club.

Players who were on the list during the 2018 season (i.e. excluding the 2018 draft class):
  • Sloane (ret)
  • Walker
  • Smith
  • Laird
  • Crouch
  • ROB
  • Milera
  • Fogarty
  • Murphy
  • Himmelberg
That's just 10 players left, including the retired Sloane.

No... I just don't believe in throwing hissy fits when the club sees things differently to what I do, and doesn't react the way I want them to react. Many BF posters have severely blinkered views, and can barely see the trees, let alone the forrest.
So you have faith in the club that they are making all the right decisions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rebuild really started at the end of 2018, a year before Nicks' appointment. Players drafted in 2018 had only been in the system for 12 months before Nicks arrived at the club.

Players who were on the list during the 2018 season (i.e. excluding the 2018 draft class):
Huh? Why ask a question you yourself rejected

• Sloane (ret)
  • Walker
  • Smith
  • Laird
  • Crouch
  • ROB
  • Milera
  • Fogarty
  • Murphy
  • Himmelberg
That's just 10 players left, including the retired Sloane.

It excludes the 2019 draftees (McAsey, Schoenberg, Worrell, O’Connor and Gollant)

Jones played 8 games in 2019.

Ned McHenry, Will Hamill and Lachlan Scholl were all drafted in 2018 played no games in 2019 but were on our list at the beginning of 2019.

Be patient
My patience is fast running out.

This year has nearly been a complete waste... made worse Nix isn't even using to prepare for next season as we are still a 0.6% finals chance.

Curtin shouldn't only be playing this week, but the rest of the season, along with all our best young talent.

Even if you accept a rebuild takes 7 years, surely by year 5 you expect to be playing finals again. Year 7 should be when you're hoisting the cup, not just starting to compete again.
Its a bit of a fallacy that this year 7 of a rebuild though, we have been shit for 7 years, but we did not start a rebuild in 2018, the recruitment of Gibbs is evidence enough of that.

For mine the rebuild didnt start until we got rid of the likes of Jenkins, Betts and Lynch, that was when we conceded we were cooked and had to start again.

My patience is fast running out.

This year has nearly been a complete waste... made worse Nix isn't even using to prepare for next season as we are still a 0.6% finals chance.

Curtin shouldn't only be playing this week, but the rest of the season, along with all our best young talent.
I just want us to win our 2024 Grand Final in R23.

I never felt this way about Showdowns previously, but beating the Power would derail any chance they had of a home final.

I still want Port to make the 8, in the 7th or 8th position, it would be many lols on here in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back