Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

When has 4 tall forwards ever worked? Esp when not at Marvel type conditions. Bullies couldn’t make it work even with JUH, Darcy, Naughton and Lobb. Something fishy here

Continuity explains it. We had a good win and we want to make as few changes as possible. Continuity is a far greater driver of success than talent and structure. At least according to our club.

Myself as much as anyone want to see curtain playing afl. But 14, 21 and 22 disposals playing in the SANFL doesn’t scream pick me in a afl midfield.He will get his time we all need to relax a little.
Taylor was averaging 18 disposals this season in the SANFL
14, 23, 12, 18, 26 in the games prior to promotion

Myself as much as anyone want to see curtain playing afl. But 14, 21 and 22 disposals playing in the SANFL doesn’t scream pick me in a afl midfield.He will get his time we all need to relax a little.
What did jones get to earn a recall?

Yep, we just need to wait till he's racking up 30+ consistently like Grigg, Wigg etc used to.

Clapping GIF
Well with McInto....oops i mean Murphy up forward, whats not to like

I'm not seeing the need for Himmelberg's retention.

He had one mark and three kicks last week. Fell over in every marking contest. Rucked 3 centre bounces.

Are we desperate to squeeze a 2nd rounder out of GWS?

I mean... has it? What are the examples of teams that spent seven years going from bottom to just competing in finals, who then went on to winning a flag after that?
Give me a list of teams which did a ground-up rebuild in less than 7 years...

** I'm not talking about teams which went to the bottom for 1 year, picked up 1-2 elite talents, then rebounded straight away. I'm talking about teams which gutted their lists, and did the full rebuild - because that's what Adelaide have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not seeing the need for Himmelberg's retention.

He had one mark and three kicks last week. Fell over in every marking contest. Rucked 3 centre bounces.

Are we desperate to squeeze a 2nd rounder out of GWS?
He can walk wherever he wants but the talk is Giants don’t want him and a VIC club is likely if he doesn’t re sign .

I don't understand why Worrell is an emergency, he is clearly best 22. If he is fit enough to be an emergency then he should be in the 22. If he is not ready then name him in the SANFL only and don't bother making him emergency.
Well this makes no sense...

Ideally Worrell gets a run in the SANFL, and regains match fitness after missing 10 weeks due to injury. However, in a less than ideal world, a half-fit Worrell is still a better option than almost any other player currently playing in the reserves. Even in this scenario, he comes in as sub, and plays only 1-2 quarters.

Having a semi-fit Worrell playing at AFL level is less than ideal, but it's still a better option than pretty much any of our other SANFL players.

Well this makes no sense...

Ideally Worrell gets a run in the SANFL, and regains match fitness after missing 10 weeks due to injury. However, in a less than ideal world, a half-fit Worrell is still a better option than almost any other player currently playing in the reserves. Even in this scenario, he comes in as sub, and plays only 1-2 quarters.

Having a semi-fit Worrell playing at AFL level is less than ideal, but it's still a better option than pretty much any of our other SANFL players.
Curtin is in the emergency list, he can come in if we have a late out with a key defender.

Half fit Worrell? He broke his arm, he would have been doing plenty of running to maintain his fitness levels.

I just think if they are happy enough for him to play if there is a late out, then he if ready to play this week. If he is not ready then don't select him as an emergency.

Curtin is in the emergency list, he can come in if we have a late out with a key defender.
Curtin is on the emergency list already, so he can't exactly replace Worrell on the emergency list - can he? For Worrell to be replaced on the emergency list, someone outside the list has to take his place.

The options are: Crouch, Hamill, Gallagher, Strachan, Edwards, Schoenberg, Gollant, TMurray, Burgess and Ryan. Several of those are also returning from injury, and a half-fit Worrell gets picked ahead of the others.
Half fit Worrell? He broke his arm, he would have been doing plenty of running to maintain his fitness levels.
Yes, he's done a lot of running. That's not the same as being match fit.
I just think if they are happy enough for him to play if there is a late out, then he if ready to play this week. If he is not ready then don't select him as an emergency.
Who else are you going to select as an emergency? Don't say Curtin, because he's already on the emergency list. Again, I suggest you review the list of players above - players who are not injured, and not selected in the AFL team or emergency list.

Curtin is on the emergency list already, so he can't exactly replace Worrell on the emergency list - can he? For Worrell to be replaced on the emergency list, someone outside the list has to take his place.

The options are: Crouch, Hamill, Gallagher, Strachan, Edwards, Schoenberg, Gollant, TMurray, Burgess and Ryan. Several of those are also returning from injury, and a half-fit Worrell gets picked ahead of the others.

Yes, he's done a lot of running. That's not the same as being match fit.

Who else are you going to select as an emergency? Don't say Curtin, because he's already on the emergency list. Again, I suggest you review the list of players above - players who are not injured, and not selected in the AFL team or emergency list.
If he is only half fit as you keep saying then he shouldn't be an emergency, simple as that. Remember what happened when we had a half fit Lynch as our sub a few years ago?

Out of the players you listed, they could have named Hamill, Burgess or Ryan as emergency. All fully fit and a better option than a half fit player.

If he is only half fit as you keep saying then he shouldn't be an emergency, simple as that. Remember what happened when we had a half fit Lynch as our sub a few years ago?

Out of the players you listed, they could have named Hamill, Burgess or Ryan as emergency. All fully fit and a better option than a half fit player.
Hamill is another who is coming back from injury, so he's in the same boat as Worrell.

Worrell could have one leg amputated and he'd still be a better option than Burgess.

Ryan... maybe. I'd still take a half-fit Worrell over him any day though.

If Worrell comes into the game as an emergency, it would almost certainly be a sub. The sub rarely plays more than half the game, which would be perfect for a player needing match fitness.

Yep, let’s wait until he accumulates 30 ineffective touches first before he replaces Laird in our midfield.

I’m surprised we haven’t been training Burgess as a swingman, especially this week. Already played it at AFL level for Gold Coast and on attributes seems a far better option than Himmelberg who we trained in that position all summer.

Worrell is either fit enough to play, or he isn’t and therefore at bigger risk of injury again. This game means nothing, I would much rather we go a backman short than risk another long-term injury to Worrell.

Coaches think we are a chance for top 8 lol

This was a huge opportunity with Dawson out for Curtin to play ffs
And playing Curtin doesn't mean we can't win. We had a win and a draw when he played previously.

Having rookies Dowling and Taylor and Bond play hasn't hurt our performances. The opposite in fact.

We're a frustrating club to follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back