Votes: 16 11.9%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 22 16.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teams are playing more man on man def now?

Yes, because they realised that because of the standing the man rule you can’t really pressure the ball carrier, especially after they mark the ball. The rule opens your kicking angles far and wide, all you have to do is remember that you have 15 seconds to kick the ball, don’t panic and kick it to the numerous teammates who will provide leads for you.

Remember that when you play pressure zones you don’t really guard opponents, you guard space. It is dead easy for opposition players to hit one of them to the chest, provided they possess basic AFL level kicking skills, an assumption which does not apply to Castagna or McIntosh for example.

So, what teams like Melbourne do is not worry about the ball carrier/kicker and concentrate to the potential receiving targets, which can be done only if you put direct opponents on them, i.e. having a more man to man defensive set up across the ground, no pressure zones.

Not a senior footballer ,if someone offers him a deal then he should jump at it
He was hardly sighted but if he didn’t come back on after doing his ankle we could’ve ended up with another injured.
He’ll only ever be cover for us and that is exactly what he has been.
Inj
Nank
Soldo
CCj

If you had to choose between Chol and Ryan, you have to go Chol

Liked the game of my fav Grimesy. Was like a boss in the backline tonight back to his marking best considering the amount of ball coming down there. Also liked Stackys game considering he's been having to build his fitness base. Even Garth despite his limitations showed a lot. The bloke competes hard. I hope we don't make many changes next week by bringing back way our underdone "A" graders just on reputation. I honestly can't recall a game this year where we have named an "unchanged" line-up. It's like we cop 2-3 injuries every godamn week. That Carlton B.... from the 1982 GF must have come back for one more 2021 curse !! 😜

First things first, injuries aren't an excuse, but they are a reason. We're missing Nankervis Prestia Lambert Edwards from the midfield plus Balta Broad Houli and Vlastuin from down back. Add to that guys playing while carrying niggles that are stopping them from playing at their best and it's little wonder we can't match it with a single side we come up against at the moment.

Cotchin is definitely carrying something as he has spent just 70% TOG this week only players with less were Dow and RCD. Now full credit for him putting his hand up each week to try and push through while we've been missing others, but I think the time has come now to give him a spell and let whatever it is that is hampering heal so that he can come back fresh for the preseason. Similar with Martin, while he is spending the majority of the game on the ground, his trademark power and explosiveness is nowhere near his best and the amount of times he is getting caught in tackles, plus the length of time he spends inside F50. If you watch both of them closely around the contest they are both definitely having a crack to try and win the ball, but once it gets out into space their rendered ineffective as the opposition spreads. It was also noticeable in the last quarter when we needed them to try and stem the impact of the likes of Adams and Pendlebury they couldn't match it with them.

I also doubt that both Jack and Tom are fully fit. We know Tom missed games with his knee issue, but he just isn't covering the ground like he has at his best, instead he is constantly forced to engage in body on body contests to try and win the ball that way. Jack is much the same, he use to thrive on his mobility to get up into traffic and lose his opponent then out work them on the way back, but now both are just anchoring themselves inside F50 and looking for the ball to be dumped in long and high and hope that they can out mark their opponents or we can capitalise when the ball hits the ground, but our small forwards are having even less of an impact and given the opposition knows exactly what's going to happen as we enter 50 their defenders are at the drop of the ball before our blokes are and sweeping it away with ease.

Down back I was pleased with their efforts in the first half of Mansell Garthwaite Rioli & Stack I thought they all provided some spark when we were counter attacking and covered well defensively when the Pies were on the attack. Unfortunately though once the dam wall burst in the last quarter and the Pies just kept on driving it in the lack of experience due to the missing players really started to cause problems as we kept getting caught out by the Pies players creating space and opportunities for each other.

As far as the rest of the season is concerned, I'd be putting the cue in the rack as far as making finals is concerned and instead be taking the chance now to have a good look at a few fringe types. Play the likes of RCD Dow Mansell Naish Ralphsmith Stack Ross Martyn Miller & CCJ where possible and start the transition to the next generation. Anyone with a medium/long term injury just leave them to recuperate so that when preseason starts everyone is ready to go from day 1.

We've had a great run the previous 4 seasons and unfortunately that run has caught up with us and it's been a season where we've paid the price for that success. But it doesn't mean it's the end of an era, but maybe just a step back to take stock of where we're at and then relaunching for another run at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back