Autopsy Roast & Toast v Fremantle & Changes for GWS

Top 5 v Fremantle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't expect us to win!!
Sat and watched the whole game and will go to the game next week and watch us loose.
Yep I reckon there working out who stays and go at the end of the year. That's not the whole **** team.
Were shit because we still have a whole 22 out!! There's been no consistency with positions and just playing together.
Were playing all these kids, witch is what we needed to do.
What do you expect!!
I had resigned to the fact we weren't going to win again this year because of these reasons.
This year is wiped..
Want some premium kids in the draft but there not going to save us.
we will need to see improvement next year with our team un injured.

We beat them in the clearances, actually
Most stats were pretty even
Except inside 50s 61-47
Yze wants us to be a corridor attacking
Aggressive side but I'm not seeing it
With the inside 50s stat
Spot on. This is what concerns me. Do we have the potential cattle to play this style? Winning clearances but getting smashed by 10 goals tells me not.
Great coaches devise a game plan that suits his list. Can the list be changed or developed to suit his game plan? Sound like something that would take at least 5 years. He won't have that long.

so true smasha

cool it!!

go and watch 2020 grand final win against the Cat's

made me feel better
Three flags in 4 years.
Rule changes made after studying us.
Unprecedented in the history of the game.

We were always going to fall away after that dynasty.

Our stats last night matched Freos in alot of areas.

Stay positive and work hard and we will get there again.

Watching the Giants game I realised that Joe Fonti, a guy drafted at 44 last year, looks better in his debut than anyone we've picked since 2017 has in just about any game (excepting Maurice Jr as a father-son who played a few good games this year).

I'm not a fan of Yze's strategy but I reckon he's trying to keep the margins low because he knows he doesn't have the cattle. If we tried to play like 2017 with this list we'd go down by 200 points. Having no transition-play makes sense when your players can't run or kick. Better to go for stoppages given that Taranto, Nank and Hopper are actually AFL-tier players which means we can compete there.
Surely Balta down back if we are trying to minimise the damage

Taking the result out of the equation there were still things I liked last night.

Nankervis put in a huge shift going up against Darcy in the first half and then Jackson in the second half. Plenty have questioned his position as Captain, but last night he led from the front. Probably goes close to winning the Jack Dyer come seasons end.

We beat the equal number 1 clearance side at clearances which goes to show just how much we've missed having the likes of Taranto & Hopper in the midfield to lead the way over kids like Dow & McAuliffe and undersized options in Baker & Bolton. Anyone still saying getting them in was a mistake is either naive or ignorant and hasn't really paid much attention to how badly our midfield performed while one or both were sitting in the stands.

You can see the difference between sides that are settled and have played consistently together and our side. Our cohesion and symmetry are off in all areas of the ground. You can see it around stoppages as guys are still trying to work out structures and roles, up forward our entries are haphazard and they don't seem to be working together as a unit to create space and opportunities for each other. We have players flying together when we should have 1 up and a few at their feet, we lead into each others space and pretty much need to be perfect when delivering inside 50 to ensure we at least get a decent shot on goal. Down back the constant chopping and changing of our key defenders means we aren't quite as settled as we could be and the unit is still learning to play together.

Hopefully we can start to get a more settled side over the last 7 games so that Yze can get a good look at how things work and don't work in regards to his game plan and what is his best available line up so that we can then make informed decisions on the list build during the off season.

As far as finishing last is concerned, I'm all for it, not just because we get the first pick, but because it puts us in control of our own decisions at the draft. We'll get first overall pick, then we get the first pick of the 2nd night which then opens up options for us, if a side is desperate to trade up and grab a slider from the first round we can get more draft assets to continue to build.

Weird one this is what I hate about the AFL system the bottom four sides right now have nothing to play for and the Harley Reid issue for North is the prime example.

We are better off putting players to rest for next season and make sure we don’t win again and get that number one pick.

I still think a lot of these issues go back to Dimma and our forward set up these players I will list are genuine forwards who have footy craft Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Josh Caddy, Jason Castagna Jacob Townsend.

We had players that could actually hit the score board and had forward craft and for whatever reason we let these guys go , didn’t play them or in Caddy’s case tried to turn him into a winger when he is a genuine forward.

It might have worked with Jack and Lynch down there but right now we are relying on Balta and Kozzie and I don’t blame Kozzi or have the hate for him some do. He would be a handy third tall that can go into the ruck or behind the ball but he’s not a key 1 or 2.

We’ve prioritised playing players like Graham, Baker, Pickett , Mansell, Sonsie as examples as forwards and it’s not working. We have injuries I know but even with Lynch and Maurice back in we’ve got one of the worst forward list options in the comp if not the worst.

It amazing how when you have a great team of players with a handful of genuine stars made Graham, Baker, McIntosh , Grimes and Short look so much better players. Graham just does not do anywhere near enough for his experience now and unless he becomes a hardcore tagger he shouldn’t be playing?

Short and McIntosh have looked awful, cringe every time they are bringing the ball out of the D50 they just kick it long and high to the boundary or to no one to be precise and the ball comes flying back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be a bit of a long post, so keep scrolling if you’re not into that.

Honestly, I’m starting to get concerned about how long it takes for our youth to make impact lately. I know they’re young, but should they be this unremarkable at this stage? I’m just thinking back on how players like Balta, Bolton, Vlastuin, and Baker were. Certainly not like this.

The last and only time we had Rising Star nominations since 2019 was in 2022 - Hugo Ralphsmith and Noah Cumberland. Neither are stars funnily enough. Yes, receiving a Rising Star nomination doesn’t mean you’ll make it (and missing out doesn’t mean you won’t make it), but the point is that even crap players stand out among their peers on a couple of occasions.

The youth (sub-23 upon being drafted) that we drafted from 2019-2022 just don’t stand out at all among their peers bar maybe Tom Brown. I’m not counting Maurice Rioli Jr because he was a father-son. Here’s that group:

Thomson Dow, Hugo Ralphsmith, Will Martyn, Noah Cumberland, Bigoa Nyuon, Mate Colina, Rhyan Mansell, Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks, Judson Clarke, Jacob Bauer, Kaleb Smith, Steely Green, Seth Campbell, Kaelan Bradtke, Matt Coulthard, James Trezise.

Think about it. Bar Tom Brown, they don’t stand out. From first rounders to rookies. Nothing. I’m also including Josh Gibcus in this as well. He’s had a bad run with injuries, but I thought that about him even while he was playing tbh.

Our 2015-2018 draft group are below:

Daniel Rioli, Oleg Markov, Nathan Broad, Callum Moore, Mabior Chol, Shai Bolton, Jack Graham, Ryan Garthwaite, Tyson Stengle, Jack Higgins, Callum Coleman-Jones, Noah Balta, Ben Miller, Liam Baker, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner, Luke English, Sydney Stack. Like MRJ, Patrick Naish and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith weren’t included as they were F/S and NGA respectively.

Lots of busts in the 2015-2018 group, but comparatively, there were quite a few who were identifiably talented within the first 2 years. We already knew that Daniel Rioli, Nathan Broad, Shai Bolton, Jack Higgins, Noah Balta, and Liam Baker would make it within their first 2 years for example. Daniel Rioli, Jack Higgins, Liam Baker, Sydney Stack, and Shai Bolton all earned Rising Star nominations.

The thing is, there were some decent picks by other clubs in the 2019-2022 period that I’d have been content with. Some of the players accessible to us in the 2019-2022 drafts that are currently playing regular AFL:

• Trent Rivers
  • Harrison Jones
  • Chad Warner
  • Jake Riccardi
  • Michael Frederick
  • Bradley Close
  • Max Holmes (yes, I’m including him because Geelong drafted him with the pick we gave them)
  • Beau McCreery
  • Josh Treacy
  • Jack Ginnivan
  • Bailey Banfield
  • Nasiah Wanganeen-Mileea
  • Jacob van Rooyen
  • Matthew Johnson
  • Connor MacDonald
  • Nic Martin

Obviously, academy picks like Guldon, Mitchito Owens etc. + F/S were not included.

That really puts into perspective how our youth from that draft are mostly falling behind. Some of the listed players from other clubs are winning games for their teams. Not only Chad Warner, but also players like Frederick, Treacy, McCreery, Holmes, Close etc.

So, I’m glad that Matt Clarke is gone. Not only him, but I’m glad that Hardwick and McQualter left too. Hardwick in particular did not invest in our youth at all. By the time we gave them opportunity, they already fell behind their draft class. Players need AFL exposure to understand what level they’re required to play. VFL is not going to give them that exposure.

We’ll see how Chris Toce is Clarke’s role. St Kilda’s drafting outside of academy picks like Owens and Windhager were mostly awful during his time there, so I am not very reassured. I also wonder why they let him go at the end of last year during their restructure. I’ll give him a chance though I guess.

Anyway, that’s my rant for today.

TL;DR - I am concerned about our group of youth drafted from 2019-2022. They take way too long to make meaningful impact compared to others in their draft class.

This is going to be a bit of a long post, so keep scrolling if you’re not into that.

Honestly, I’m starting to get concerned about how long it takes for our youth to make impact lately. I know they’re young, but should they be this unremarkable at this stage? I’m just thinking back on how players like Balta, Bolton, Vlastuin, and Baker were. Certainly not like this.

The last and only time we had Rising Star nominations since 2019 was in 2022 - Hugo Ralphsmith and Noah Cumberland. Neither are stars funnily enough. Yes, receiving a Rising Star nomination doesn’t mean you’ll make it (and missing out doesn’t mean you won’t make it), but the point is that even crap players stand out among their peers on a couple of occasions.

The youth (sub-23 upon being drafted) that we drafted from 2019-2022 just don’t stand out at all among their peers bar maybe Tom Brown. I’m not counting Maurice Rioli Jr because he was a father-son. Here’s that group:

Thomson Dow, Hugo Ralphsmith, Will Martyn, Noah Cumberland, Bigoa Nyuon, Mate Colina, Rhyan Mansell, Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Tyler Sonsie, Sam Banks, Judson Clarke, Jacob Bauer, Kaleb Smith, Steely Green, Seth Campbell, Kaelan Bradtke, Matt Coulthard, James Trezise.

Think about it. Bar Tom Brown, they don’t stand out. From first rounders to rookies. Nothing. I’m also including Josh Gibcus in this as well. He’s had a bad run with injuries, but I thought that about him even while he was playing tbh.

Daniel Rioli, Oleg Markov, Nathan Broad, Callum Moore, Mabior Chol, Shai Bolton, Jack Graham, Ryan Garthwaite, Tyson Stengle, Jack Higgins, Callum Coleman-Jones, Noah Balta, Ben Miller, Liam Baker, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner, Luke English, Sydney Stack. Like MRJ, Patrick Naish and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith weren’t included as they were F/S and NGA respectively.

Lots of busts in the 2015-2018 group, but comparatively, there were quite a few who were identifiably talented within the first 2 years. We already knew that Daniel Rioli, Nathan Broad, Shai Bolton, Jack Higgins, Noah Balta, and Liam Baker would make it within their first 2 years for example. Daniel Rioli, Jack Higgins, Liam Baker, Sydney Stack, and Shai Bolton all earned Rising Star nominations.

The thing is, there were some decent picks by other clubs in the 2019-2022 period that I’d have been content with. Some of the players accessible to us in the 2019-2022 drafts that are currently playing regular AFL:

• Trent Rivers
  • Harrison Jones
  • Chad Warner
  • Jake Riccardi
  • Michael Frederick
  • Bradley Close
  • Max Holmes (yes, I’m including him because Geelong drafted him with the pick we gave them)
  • Beau McCreery
  • Josh Treacy
  • Jack Ginnivan
  • Bailey Banfield
  • Jacob van Rooyen
  • Matthew Johnson
  • Connor MacDonald
  • Nic Martin

Obviously, academy picks like Guldon, Mitchito Owens etc. + F/S were not included.

That really puts into perspective how our youth from that draft are mostly falling behind. Some of the listed players from other clubs are winning games for their teams. Not only Chad Warner, but also players like Frederick, Treacy, McCreery, Holmes, Close etc.

So, I’m glad that Matt Clarke is gone. Not only him, but I’m glad that Hardwick and McQualter left too. Hardwick in particular did not invest in our youth at all. By the time we gave them opportunity, they already fell behind their draft class. Players need AFL exposure to understand what level they’re required to play. VFL is not going to give them that exposure.

We’ll see how Chris Toce is Clarke’s role. St Kilda’s drafting outside of academy picks like Owens and Windhager were mostly awful during his time there, so I am not very reassured. I also wonder why they let him go at the end of last year during their restructure. I’ll give him a chance though I guess.

TL;DR - I am concerned about our group of youth drafted from 2019-2022. They take way too long to make meaningful impact compared to others in their draft class.

For me it’s a combination of a couple of factors, one being no access to quality kids at the top of the draft due to success and trading.

The second factor is we just haven’t struck gold with our later picks like we had previously. For example We OWNED the rookie draft for a period there and selected a few diamonds in the rough, but since then it’s been slim pickings.

And I know he’s not gonna solve everything, but Gibcus losing 2 years of footy hasn’t helped. He should be on 50+ games now and would be starting to show real promise.

Watching the Giants game I realised that Joe Fonti, a guy drafted at 44 last year, looks better in his debut than anyone we've picked since 2017 has in just about any game (excepting Maurice Jr as a father-son who played a few good games this year).
was that the kid with the head protection on??
he was fantastic, keeps his feet, zippy and gave 100% effort.

• Trent Rivers
  • Harrison Jones
  • Chad Warner
  • Jake Riccardi
  • Michael Frederick
  • Bradley Close
  • Beau McCreery
  • Josh Treacy
  • Jack Ginnivan
  • Bailey Banfield
  • Jacob van Rooyen
  • Matthew Johnson
  • Connor MacDonald
  • Nic Martin

Clarke was a lemon.

But also the guys like Floss, Balta, Bolton and Baker came into a much better team and just played a role within that.

Sonsie looked good when he came into 2022 side.

Our kids now have to come in to a rabble and it shows.

Our kids are mostly role players. We need our next stars to come through.

Clarke was a lemon.

But also the guys like Floss, Balta, Bolton and Baker came into a much better team and just played a role within that.

Sonsie looked good when he came into 2022 side.

Our kids now have to come in to a rabble and it shows.

Our kids are mostly role players. We need our next stars to come through.
And unfortunately for us, our next stars haven’t pulled on a Richmond jumper yet

Autopsy Roast & Toast v Fremantle & Changes for GWS

Back