Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Best five

• 1: Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 2: Dylan Grimes

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • 3: Dion Prestia

Votes: 135 68.9%
  • 4: Dustin Martin

Votes: 179 91.3%
  • 5: Brandon Ellis

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 7: Dan Butler

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 11: Jason Castagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13: Jack Higgins

• 14: Bachar Houli

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 17: Daniel Rioli

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 19: Tom Lynch

Votes: 148 75.5%
  • 22: Josh Caddy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 33: Kamdyn McIntosh

• 34: Jack Graham

Votes: 77 39.3%
  • 35: Nathan Broad

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 37: Connor Menadue

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

Votes: 157 80.1%
  • 45: Patrick Naish

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 47: Mabior Chol

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty
Prestia
Stack
Lunch
Graham were easily our best

Chol showed a fair bit, give him more games.

Bit unreasonable to be laying into Garth, he’s been thrown in the deep end and playing on guys he shouldn’t be playing on yet. I still think he’ll be a good reliable defender for us down the track.

Ellis is a disgrace with the way he kills our momentum, we were in a situation about 5-6 times tonight where he just had to kill the ball,every single time bar 1, a goal or a shot on goal ensured bc he didn’t kill it and the man when he had the chance. Had an opportunity to stand up but he failed miserably. If anyone mentions his stats they can go away!

Higgins, needs a spell, that was embarrassing.

Butler is a show pony and doesn’t have the required intensity anymore, just floats around and cruises like a muppet

Season on the line next 2 matches
Spot on with your assessment on Ellis and Butler. They burnt a lot of our good work tonight and the look on Graham’s face I reckon he’d a gut full of it by games end as they ruined a lot of his work. No room for scared weird little guys that cost the team week in week out. Really disappointing that we beat ourselves tonight bc we carried a couple of soft turnover merchants.

Last edited:
Toast

Dusty Skippa on his way back to being a boss.

Prestia. Very good shame he can't kick for goal.

Stackie. Just does his thing my god this kid is good, Jayden Short ain't getting his old HBF spot back.

Lynch. Confidence rose without Talia tailing him but battled strong

Broadly Very good return solid and clean some great strong tackles and put body in to hold them up.

Vlastuin Battled hard as did Grimes.

Roast!!!

Ellis

Menadue

Butler

Caddy

Well done to Dusty for his captaincy & he certainly lead by example. Also Stacky on his fantastic 1st year & how much better we will be in the future with his abilities. Grimesy solid as always, Chol had a solid hit out for his 1st game in a couple of years. Felt sorry for Garth, certainly batting outside his depth.
Certainly could of used Bolton in the midfield with some x-factor, also could have had Naish play more of the second half instead of being on the pine for most of it. Higgins, Butler, Castagna & Menadue were just horrible tonight. Ellis was ordinary again when he ventured back & just needs to remain on the wing & be the link up player, so we can restrict his turnover's through panic. Rioli needs to continue to work harder, as he certainly has the skill & the ability.
For me Higgins, Castagna, Butler & Menadue need to go back to the VFL for multiple weeks & try & earn there way back into the seniors, rather than being gifted games, because of our current situation. Reward players that are playing decent footy from the VFL, rather than just rehashing the same players over & over again. Also Caddy needs to stay forward, as this is his only position of strength, that we are desperately missing at the moment. Caddy just doesn't look like a quality mid to me & seriously lacks any defensive side to his game, which we can't afford to carry with our structures.

Last edited:

Freo plays Port, both our rivals for the eight, so one cancels the other out, which is good for us.
When our key players return, no way known Sydney is a better team.
Omissions should be among Higgins, Menadue, Balta, Garthwaite, Chol.
In Astbury, Cotchin, Edwards, Soldo, perhaps Bolton.

Last edited:
I think the torching of him is harsh. He’s learning the craft. And when the Crouch boys get it 80 times, the midfield pressure is a concern. Wouldn’t have been much different with Astbury.

Agree he’s very young and inexperienced to be playing as that main key defender and also a little undersized as well
In a perfect would it would be on the 3rd tall forward of the opposition team with Astbury and Rance but in stead being paired with the other teams gorillas

Great experience for him playing on the best I expect him to take Broads spot in the team next year

Agree he’s very young and inexperienced to be playing as that main key defender and also a little undersized as well
In a perfect would it would be on the 3rd tall forward of the opposition team with Astbury and Rance but in stead being paired with the other teams gorillas

Great experience for him playing on the best I expect him to take Broads spot in the team next year

No way is Garh a 3rd tall he's not fast or agile enough and no way does he take Broads spot.

Broad kept Taylor and Jenkins under control when on them they both got off the chain on Garth the kid had a mare.

Broad was good tonight.

Just wanted to say that I loved the way your boys commiserated with JJ.

As for you guys having 9 of your best players on the injury list....we know how it feels. 2018 wasnt a good year for us with our injuries. Even though you were depleted it was still a struggle for us tonight. :thumbsu:

Unlike most on here I thought we competed really well and did great to make a game of it. Yes, frustrating not to take a couple of chances to push it further but realistically we are completely undermanned.

Still reckon things can click and we can pull a Dogs 2016... slip into 7th and go all the way :)

The positive of the injuries is that we know a lot more about our list now, and if we do get back to full strength we have unearthed a much better bottom 5 than last year's bottom 5.

Toasts

Adelaide's pressure was good and to match them 3 and half quarters and get within a goal was a great effort. Moral winners this week.

No Injuries

The clash strip, we seem play better in highlighter yellow. Simply out gunned by a more experienced team (Average age 2 years 7 months older)

Carlton first round pick sliding

Chol has improved out of sight this season. The knock has been his footy nous, but he seem to be involved in the play most of the night. Pretty excited about what he can offer. Reckon he stays in the team ahead of Balta when Nank is back from injury.

Jack Graham (that is) played his best game for awhile, loves playing against the Crows. Most contested possessions and most tackles for the team.

Lynch looked a real presence in the forward line. 5CM, 2 goals and 2 goal assists.

Stack is a gun, wins his own ball and looks so composed when gets it.

Dusty played more of a defensive role, but was still clearly our best player.

Prestia, has been great form but it is frustrating when he wastes the footy.

Grimes rarely gets beaten. Was good again

Roasts

I reckon Garth is like the new Liam McBean. Overrated because of his VFL form. IMO we definitely need to get another key defender.

Brandon Ellis such a liability in the back line and for an uncontested ball winner doesn't provide enough drive. Pretty much the polar opposite to Sydney Stack.

After a really promising preseason Snags has gone backwards this year. Only getting a game because of injuries.

Caddy wtf has happened to him this year. Missing in action for most of the night.

Balta does need a spell, but will be better for all the experience he has got at the top level.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that I loved the way your boys commiserated with JJ.

As for you guys having 9 of your best players on the injury list....we know how it feels. 2018 wasnt a good year for us with our injuries. Even though you were depleted it was still a struggle for us tonight. :thumbsu:
Hated seeing him getting injured, hope he gets back up for the finals.

Last edited:
No impact? Forget tackles, clearances, pressure acts etc. Yep no impact.
You know what I’m taking about. Nobody denies those things but there is far more to footy is there not? He’s like the Jacob Townsend of ruckingl’d love them both to be able to impact WITH the footy more but they don’t, and when you’re carrying a team of kids you can’t afford that luxury.

Just going to say, did well with so many inexperienced players.
Bolton should have been in that side, anyone could see that and I have no idea why he wasn't. No Adelaide defender would have been able to go with his pace and he is the type of player that given a free licence to run amok in forward 50 would have been well suited last night.
Overall awesome effort, just that game went 10 minutes too long, inexperience inexperienced cost us in the end, won't name the players that contributed to goals due to changers, we must not become bitter and finger point

Can take a lot out of this, very proud of the team effort overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin. Brilliant effort. Captain and quarterback.
Lynch. He stuck it up the detractors. Great game.
Stack. The dance steps and pass to Lynch in Q1 the play of the year. Channelling A.McLeod in Adelaide.
Ellis. Not popular in the votes but a very solid mature game imo.
Graham. 2017 no fluke. He can play.

Vlaustin. Is an intercept defender. Needs to realise his midfield dreams won't be fulfilled.
Prestia. Great effort but his disposal could have won the game if it wasn't so ordinary.
Butler. Better. Party tricks part of his game and I don't mind that.
Umpiring. I'm sick of it. Not sure if it's us or umpires but I'm sick of it.

Love clad to channel luke hodge and reckon he could/does. A lot of time on the half back with cameos in the midfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very proud of our boys tonight,we walked on egg shells all night,umpiring disgraceful.

This is nothing to do with the Crows fans who were very courteus,good luck to em but the AFL can go eff itself.

The players nearly pulled the win off ,proud to be a Tiger.

Tossbags in the media will be rubbing one out over our loss.

Geez there are some real nuffies on facebook laying into the club. Some people need a ******* reality check.
The Facebook Richmond supporters (not all, there are some that are very very proud of how we handled ourselves last night) are the absolute worse.

Yeah we have our share of trolls on the Bigfooty board but they don’t lay into our team half as much as some of the morons on Facebook do.

That’s crap. We looked sharp early in the game.

You can’t expect a team essentially hadicapped with a bunch of kids to complete a game with sublime skills. That’s unrealistic
Even with all of our players in, great skills are not a focus under Hardwick. We need to condition players to be able to hit targets and bring in players that have this ability.

Naish and Stack were one of our better-skilled players yesterday, yet there were so many players out there who had much more experience than them. That's not due to injuries, it is due to the skill level of our more experienced players below our stars being short of what we need it to be.

The middle of the road players at Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood and GWS have better skills than our mid-tier players, and that's where the concern is. How many of those woeful turnovers we saw yesterday did Rance clean up in the last two years? How many times did Riewoldt make a shank kick inside 50 count on the scoreboard? How many times did Cotchin take a huge defensive mark because someone up the field lost the battle with their man? How many times did Nankervis crunch an opposition player because the player he tapped to lost possession?

This is what I mean. Our top players are among the best in the competition because of how well they put together our side and I don't think star players in other sides have the same effect on their team. I am guilty of thinking other than this in the past year, but Alex Rance to me is by far the best defender in the competition now. I have not seen any defender clean up his teammates' mistakes like he did while also driving our scoring power. All the "great defenders" mainly take marks from poor entries and occasionally from good entries too but this guy tackles both poor and great kicks inside 50. He also organises our back structure very well. With only him out our defence already collapsed early in the season. Riewoldt is one of the best forwards in the game as well because he won the Coleman last year and consistently finishes around the 50-goal mark with inside 50 deliveries that we had yesterday. I rate him top 3 KPFs in the competition and I don't care what others have to say about that.

I just want to see what happens with Rance and Riewoldt if they had better skilled forwards and midfielders in particular in the team. Our mid-tier players usually provide more pressure than the mid-tier players of the top sides, but they don't have as good of a skill level and that is where I want the improvement to come. Really excited to see how Naish and Stack fit in our top side because they'll be dislodging some of our lower-skilled players.

Even with all of our players in, great skills are not a focus under Hardwick. We need to condition players to be able to hit targets and bring in players that have this ability.

Naish and Stack were one of our better-skilled players yesterday, yet there were so many players out there who had much more experience than them. That's not due to injuries, it is due to the skill level of our more experienced players below our stars being short of what we need it to be.

The middle of the road players at Geelong, West Coast, Collingwood and GWS have better skills than our mid-tier players, and that's where the concern is. How many of those woeful turnovers we saw yesterday did Rance clean up in the last two years? How many times did Riewoldt make a shank kick inside 50 count on the scoreboard? How many times did Cotchin take a huge defensive mark because someone up the field lost the battle with their man? How many times did Nankervis crunch an opposition player because the player he tapped to lost possession?

This is what I mean. Our top players are among the best in the competition because of how well they put together our side and I don't think star players in other sides have the same effect on their team. I am guilty of thinking other than this in the past year, but Alex Rance to me is by far the best defender in the competition now. I have not seen any defender clean up his teammates' mistakes like he did while also driving our scoring power. All the "great defenders" mainly take marks from poor entries and occasionally from good entries too but this guy tackles both poor and great kicks inside 50. He also organises our back structure very well. With only him out our defence already collapsed early in the season. Riewoldt is one of the best forwards in the game as well because he won the Coleman last year and consistently finishes around the 50-goal mark with inside 50 deliveries that we had yesterday. I rate him top 3 KPFs in the competition and I don't care what others have to say about that.

I just want to see what happens with Rance and Riewoldt if they had better skilled forwards and midfielders in particular in the team. Our mid-tier players usually provide more pressure than the mid-tier players of the top sides, but they don't have as good of a skill level and that is where I want the improvement to come. Really excited to see how Naish and Stack fit in our top side because they'll be dislodging some of our lower-skilled players.
Yeah our skills are pretty atrocious so it’s good to see kids like Naish and Stack with good basic skills.

I do hope our coaching staff are working on rectifying that.

2 completely different acts.
Ellis had a clean run to mark it or kill it.He did neither.
Dusty was going full tilt racing against time to get to the ball.One of those situations where if he was .05 of a sec quicker he would have had an impact.
Brandon had come down from the wing and then sprinted the final 10-15m to make the contest. But yeah let's hammer him for being a squib and excuse Dusty, because heaven forbid we're critical of anyone not a whipping boy.

Ellis can’t play defence, he is better as a running outside mid or wing. He had two easy chances to kill the ball and messed them both up , resulting a score. He has to be played to his strengths. Too short for backline.
You do realise he was a midfielder who was pushing back to support the back line. Yeah he made mistakes but he was there trying to help teammates in a tough situation unlike some others who'll escape criticism because they weren't.

Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Back