Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Essendon & Changes for R12 vs Geelong

Best 5 vs Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on last night's effort, I'm pleased we are getting serious gametime into the younger players and it is starting to pay off with Hugo especially. His ground coverage and willingness to go back and help the defenders was impressive. Dow is realizing he can play at the level, but he needs to work harder to hold those tackles. Sonsie fades in and out, but has glimpses of being a very good player. Green is going to be a VERY good wingman once he strings together a couple solid seasons. Lefau should be our third tall option, but is playing solid footy. Brown will be a dead set superstar. There is a lot to look forward to....

We had our opportunities, we need more composure through the corridor with the linking handballs in particular. We win this game if we had Taranto or Hopper. Just needed that one experienced head to get us through the last 10 minutes.

Umpiring was the usual one sided biased performance from the cheating men in phlegm.. Interesting to see both "free kicks" to Caddy were mysteriously not replayed....

Dusty's goal was vintage 2017 dusty. Underground handball by McAuliffe was kinda symbolic.

Clearly Essendon are not going to be a threat if they even make finals based on that performance. What sort of captain throws his head back staging for free kicks ? Laughable. Meanwhile Vlastuin has his head shoved into the turf = HTB free kick Essendon.

A huge improvement from the team this week, and if we had possibly 2 injured players in that side we would have won.

Out - Cumberland, Bolton (inj), Ryan
In - Mansell, Graham, Kozi (as defender only)

Nobody denies he tries hard. And most are happy for him to get some opportunities. But nobody can watch that game and see his missed handballs, shanked kicks, poor finishing, giving away 50’s, opponent BOG and think ‘we’ve got one here’. He had a mare, and that’s ok… he’s inexperienced and that will happen. Tackles and pressure points don’t change the fact he had a shocker.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
hails from Queensland nuff said

Well said im surprised some posters dont get it that ridley is taller and much bigger than Cumbo. Now had lynch and Balta been up forward maybe Cumbo has a smaller match up like last week v lions and have a similar game.
It's just convenient for the haters to overlook. Some of his biggest haters (a particular cohort) are more interested in saving face when they paint themselves into a corner due to a wrong call, rather than actually wanting the team and club to improve by players doing well and making the right decisions.

It's more about proving others wrong.

It's self preservation at the expense of everything. They'd make great politicians.

The same people who backed in Louie Meehan and awkwardly had to backtrack only when our injuries hit ridiculous levels and the 'leave him alone' position became completely untenable. With a caveat of course.

The same people who back the club when they make the wrong decisions. Dual captains, playing Castagna when he was stinking it up, the list goes on and on.

More often than not they have no idea.

Ill be suprised if he doesnt make it if he is given 50 games and I'll put my hand up if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Do we know if Bolton was actually concussed last night or will be entering concussion protocols? I was hopeful that he was subbed off before the test regardless of result because the test would take the remainder of the game anyway.
Not confirmed but the way his head whipped back I would say it’s almost a near guarantee

Always someone else to blame with
him though. Cumberland gets beaten by most of his opponents. I was a fan of his because of his amazing goalkicking a couple of years ago, but it’s just so tiresome trying to find excuses on why he didn’t perform every time he plays. I’m done with it.

It’s up to him to show why he should be picked now.
He's played 4 games since rd. 8 last season, one of them as a sub. How would we know if he gets beaten by most of his opponents because that's not much recent data to go on. Anyone seriously think that Ridley is not going to dominate Cumberland in the air. Does anyone seriously think that Ridley followed Cumberland around, he just zoned off behind the play and was often the loose man, sometimes he was on Cumberland, sometimes not. What Cumberland let him to the ball 31 times.

Don't make excuses on why he didn't perform every time, nobody does that unless they are seriously good. His game was below what was expected, but last week he played okay, kicked a couple. If he had kicked those relatively easy goals then he would have had an okay mark again. But every player misses goals like that, every week.

He needs to find his feet and stop playing like every possession will be scrutinised. He is very energetic and moves to the right spots pretty well, it is just a bit frantic when he gets it. But he adds some zip to our often pedestrian forward line. That was a nice bit of play to get to the ball that if he kicked the goal, would have put us 5 points down with a bit of time left. That's what he can do, he did it twice for goals last week.

Last edited:
And what does that make you a hater? Where were you last week campaigner when he was our best small forward. Blame the ******* coaches for putting cumbo on ridley who is 195 cms tall and cumbo 183 cm. Balta would've been on rids but played back. For comparison it would be like Jake Kelly of the bombers playing on Lynch, you know how that's going to end.

The team played well for 4 qtrs but here you're with a post solely about Cumberland who has played 21 games.
We could've pinched it cant fault the teams efforts but we gave up some costly goals, one by short who went across goals. Ess received 3 goals by umpiring decisions inc shais 50

Calm down bud. It was a post to reel in posters just like yourself. I’ve said multiple times I’m a fan of Noah, but too many on here act like he’s one of the best in the comp. Reality is he’s a C grader and likely to be no more than that. The fact his opponent who hadn’t played all year was BOG can’t be ignored. I wouldn’t be dropping him but surely even his fan bois need to relax on their love for him

need to be at CHF
Noah opponents destroyed us so yeah it’s his fault. I called for it during the game that Ryan should have played forward more often.
he is not a CHF, they had way more seasoned and bigger bodies against him.

Calm down bud. It was a post to reel in posters just like yourself. I’ve said multiple times I’m a fan of Noah, but too many on here act like he’s one of the best in the comp. Reality is he’s a C grader and likely to be no more than that. The fact his opponent who hadn’t played all year was BOG can’t be ignored. I wouldn’t be dropping him but surely even his fan bois need to relax on their love for him

Say what? no one thinks he is one of the best in the comp but we know what he can produce, now can he recapture that again time will tell. Funnily enough many think the same about Mansell C grader and we just gave him a two year contract.

Come on Ridley is one of the best defenders in the ess line up. 195 cms V 183 cms bad coaching move to put Cumbo on him
Do you know who would've been on him Balta had he played forward, so Cumbo on him would be monstered for size and strength.
Like I said it would be like Jake Kelly on tom lynch

Now he is only 2 full games in and i will say let's give Cumbo more games but if he has for example 4 average games straight then it's back to the resssies rarely seen the Mansell supporters say that about him when he's mostly had an average year. Mansell doesnt have forward craft, wouldn't mind trying him as a tagger or lock down defender.

Jayden Short not sure what's up with him has gone backwards at a rate of knots. Could easily swap him and Mansell around. Junior we are missing more so his frenetic pressure and diving run downs, tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sonsie showed some class, persist with him.
short, needs to do the simple things right.
cumbo was messy, but showed some good signs. persist. only a matter of time before he clicks.
dusty magic once more
Prestia did some good things.
I loved the run of the young kids, once they click we will be a much better team.

I'm not looking for to graham, TT and hoppers return. too slow and too clumsy with disposals.
yes they add toughness and strong bodies but dont offer much else.

Alright, so going by this, next weekend “potentially” we could have Trezise, Banks, Mansell, Graham and Hopper available for selection while we lose Bolton to concussion protocols. Following that maybe Taranto.

View attachment 2000836
With the short break between the Geelong and Adelaide game, I would not be bringing back Hopper or Graham next week. I honestly think we’re better off just getting a ton of training into them and bringing back after the bye.

Based on last night's effort, I'm pleased we are getting serious gametime into the younger players and it is starting to pay off with Hugo especially. His ground coverage and willingness to go back and help the defenders was impressive. Dow is realizing he can play at the level, but he needs to work harder to hold those tackles. Sonsie fades in and out, but has glimpses of being a very good player. Green is going to be a VERY good wingman once he strings together a couple solid seasons. Lefau should be our third tall option, but is playing solid footy. Brown will be a dead set superstar. There is a lot to look forward to....

We had our opportunities, we need more composure through the corridor with the linking handballs in particular. We win this game if we had Taranto or Hopper. Just needed that one experienced head to get us through the last 10 minutes.

Umpiring was the usual one sided biased performance from the cheating men in phlegm.. Interesting to see both "free kicks" to Caddy were mysteriously not replayed....

Dusty's goal was vintage 2017 dusty. Underground handball by McAuliffe was kinda symbolic.

Clearly Essendon are not going to be a threat if they even make finals based on that performance. What sort of captain throws his head back staging for free kicks ? Laughable. Meanwhile Vlastuin has his head shoved into the turf = HTB free kick Essendon.

A huge improvement from the team this week, and if we had possibly 2 injured players in that side we would have won.

Out - Cumberland, Bolton (inj), Ryan
In - Mansell, Graham, Kozi (as defender only)
Good to see some love for Hugo here, looks like he could really make that wing spot his own, I was bullish on him early days but then thought I had got it wrong during last season. He’s not completely there yet but I reckon he is gaining the confidence he belongs at the level. I thought Seth Campbell played a really good game as well, worked really hard to provide an option and was very clean when he got the footy.

And what does that make you a hater? Where were you last week campaigner when he was our best small forward. Blame the ******* coaches for putting cumbo on ridley who is 195 cms tall and cumbo 183 cm. Balta would've been on rids but played back. For comparison it would be like Jake Kelly of the bombers playing on Lynch, you know how that's going to end.

The team played well for 4 qtrs but here you're with a post solely about Cumberland who has played 21 games.
We could've pinched it cant fault the teams efforts but we gave up some costly goals, one by short who went across goals. Ess received 3 goals by umpiring decisions inc shais 50
I was at the game and couldn’t see what the 50 against Bolton was for. Did any commentator say what it was for.

Did you notice that during the match Cumberland actually lead from the goal square. He also chased opponents he would have known he wouldn’t catch just to apply pressure. These are the selfless things Jack Riewoldt used to do. Cumberland does appear to be really putting the effort in to succeed in the team. That’s why I hope one day it will click for him.

Two weeks in a row that's happened to Vlastuin. I would seriously forgive him if he got up and put one on the campaigner's chin.

Maybe wait until he's about to retire, lol.

I was at the game and couldn’t see what the 50 against Bolton was for. Did any commentator say what it was for.
No. They couldn't as he didn't do anything.

Back