Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Essendon & Changes for R12 vs Geelong

Best 5 vs Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, so going by this, next weekend “potentially” we could have Trezise, Banks, Mansell, Graham and Hopper available for selection while we lose Bolton to concussion protocols. Following that maybe Taranto.
From that list, hopefully we'll get back (in order of who will help us the most short and long term) Hopper, Mansell, Trezise, Banks, Graham.

You watch, Graham will come straight in with no VFL match fitness, do next to nothing and then do his hammy again.

which would be fine if he was kicking goals. not bringing that Mansell will walk right in
now that Dusty has found form Combo's spot is under threat
Assume Mansell for Bolton under concussion protocols. Cumbo seems to mentally race, gets over excited similar to a caffeine rush. If he can slow that thought process down just a notch or two, then the errors will drop.

Think Cumbo could use a phycologist full time to help with that process. That's hard work, but if the guy wants an AFL footy career, then that's the hard yards that he might have to find time to do.

Any VFL serious watchers posting here? Does Ryan clunk them ok at that level? Looks like he

Ducks his head in marking contests and or
Goes in with hard hands and then spills.

A technical flaw that if corrected will have serious upside for the Tiges. Is anyone at the Tiges who can help with improving the clunk? Not expecting Ryan to be genius below his knees or a a great link player.

Other than that, and it is a significant "that", his ruck work looks to be on song. That's a strong upside for the team.

Because the ruck work is good, I make the assumption that body contact is ok with him, he not scared of it. Just has a technical flaw with hands and head when marking. That, can be coached for correction.

Alright, so going by this, next weekend “potentially” we could have Trezise, Banks, Mansell, Graham and Hopper available for selection while we lose Bolton to concussion protocols. Following that maybe Taranto.

View attachment 2000836
Yze said last night that Graham is likely back but Taranto & Hopper are probably 2-3 weeks away, which would be the Hawthorn game at the earliest. Also mentioned that he may thrown the magnets around a little to get Koschitzke in as a defender and possibly move Balta back forward.

id even deliver his mail personaly to him
Guru, could coord someone to drop in every morning and make barista level beverages for the boy.

We’d go get a coffee in the morning and we’ll look at the paper and it’s like ‘bang, there I am’. I don’t know, it’s weird, but I don’t really think too much of it.”

Assume Mansell for Bolton under concussion protocols. Cumbo seems to mentally race, gets over excited similar to a caffeine rush. If he can slow that thought process down just a notch or two, then the errors will drop.

Think Cumbo could use a phycologist full time to help with that process. That's hard work, but if the guy wants an AFL footy career, then that's the hard yards that he might have to find time to do.

Any VFL serious watchers posting here? Does Ryan clunk them ok at that level? Looks like he

Ducks his head in marking contests and or
Goes in with hard hands and then spills.

A technical flaw that if corrected will have serious upside for the Tiges. Is anyone at the Tiges who can help with improving the clunk? Not expecting Ryan to be genius below his knees or a a great link player.

Other than that, and it is a significant "that", his ruck work looks to be on song. That's a strong upside for the team.

Because the ruck work is good, I make the assumption that body contact is ok with him, he not scared of it. Just has a technical flaw with hands and head when marking. That, can be coached for correction.
Combo is kind've psycho. his goal kicking has gone to shyte in the VFL... no better in the AFL.

Mansell for Combo & Graham for Bolton.

I recall Ryan often had hard hands. But I lament our teams chronic lack of any marking targets. Down the line & up fwd. Ryan went for it and reduced some measure of oppo aerial domination.

Some real positives tonight…. and I’ll focus on the youngsters.

1. Lefau solid game … created spillages when he didn’t mark. Didn’t let McKay dominate the air. Kicked a couple.

2. Seth Campbell. Showed great hands a couple of times in the air. More than just an outside receiver … very confident we’ve got a good one in Seth.

3. Brown. Had some poor moments but a couple of times showed surprisingly good leg speed I didn’t know he had. High footy IQ and shows enough for me to know he’s got a great future.

4. Hugo. Showing great development. Will only get better as the team gets better. Proving all those who spent 2-years calling him Ralphsh*t wrong.

5. Green. Great signs to get 6 touches and 4 marks in 16-minutes of footy. Peeled off a nice kick through the middle. Early days, but doesn’t look out of place thus far.

6. McCauliffe. I think we should be very excited. Back to back very solid games for a 4-gamer. Got some great assets to be a gun but was clearly out of gas late. 16 touches at 81% and only played 66% game time. He will be a deadset beauty this kid.

7. Sonsie. I think he more than anyone will benefit from playing alongside bulls like TT and Hopper. He’s pretty timid in the contest and not sure he has the tools to be a really good player with that downside (Naicos is timid as well, but has elite everything else). The jury is out but I’d like to be seeing more from Sonsie… has time on his side and need to keep giving him games.

8. Dow. Cops a really tough time on BF. Was good overall tonight. Still played less than 30-games. His athleticism is better than it looks, he just needs to learnt to be more aggressive forward and not circle back. Thats coaching and confidence. Doing enough at this stage of his development to show he’s got a future IMO as his best footy is still ahead of him.

9. Ryan. He will never be a forward. We need to rely on him as a primary ruck. I’m still confident he will be a player, but unfortunately he still just never looks like clunking marks at AFL level. Needs to improve and I think he will, as not ready for AFL as yet.

10. Cumbo. Unfortunately zero footy IQ … how can a forward not know if you’re not in the marking contest you must stand the mark at 9m and won’t be warned to go back? His decision making and disposal is just next level haphazard - the team cannot have someone just firing kicks and handballs like a 7yo after too many raspberry cordials.. He provides energy and can be a threat, but his opponent was BOG tonight and he went goalless. When he is involved in the play I have zero confidence Cumbo has any idea what he is doing. It’s really hard to see him being a player in the future if he can’t slow down his brain and become a lot more vanilla. At the moment it doesn’t cost us as we’re already really sh*t. But when we get back to being a decent team, his errors will be really costly. Happy to give him the rest of season to earn a contract. At the moment he’s a delist, but there’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fantastic take on the young brigade. Succinct and accurate. Thank you

Yze said last night that Graham is likely back but Taranto & Hopper are probably 2-3 weeks away, which would be the Hawthorn game at the earliest. Also mentioned that he may thrown the magnets around a little to get Koschitzke in as a defender and possibly move Balta back forward.
Will probably come down to how well Kosi performs down back and if Ryan continues to struggle.

Not sure we can throw Kosi straight in against Hawkins and Cameron off the back of one VFL game as a defender.

Really pleased with the performance of the team last night. They played with the type of effort and intensity that should be the normal level of the team. Despite not having our best midfield in, we won the clearance battle, which helps the defenders by not having easy ball coming in and we matched them in contested possessions which is a promising signs for when we get Taranto & Hopper back in the next couple of weeks. The forward line is still a bit of a mess and loss structure as the game went on, with Lefau spending the 2nd half battling 2-3 opponents at the contest which is a fair effort considering he was banged up with a shoulder concern just before half time. Was great to see Martin wind back the clock and have a genuine impact on the game, hopefully it's not one of those games like Cotchin had approaching his 300th where he looked like the Cotchin of old before fading away again.

Some individual player thoughts

Balta - took a few minutes to slip back into the defenders mindset, but once he settled into the game was a real general down back. Intercept marking and setting up rebound opportunities. Will be interesting to see if he continues down back, given Koschitzke looked good as a defender in the VFL game and could possibly come in to play defence and let Yze continue trialing Balta as a forward.

Dow - playing some solid footy at the moment. Still has some moments where he lets himself down, the failure to attack a mark when Short went into the corridor and was intercepted by Merrett the one that stood out most. It's amazing what happens when you give a young player the opportunity to build into a season and allow them to adjust to the tempo of top level footy. As stated elsewhere, he will never be an elite midfielder, but in a well structured midfield group he certainly has a role to play.

Campbell & Ralphsmith - these 2 should be our future wingers. Both cover an immense amount of ground (16 & 16.7 km for each respectively last night). Both have improved each week they run out. Hugo's defensive work is quite impressive for someone who struggled to impact in that area early on. A couple of efforts deep inside our D50 to ensure Essendon didn't take an easy mark were important in a close game. Campbell is very clean and smart with his ball use. Couple of moments where he could have blazed away inside F50, but he hit the right option to give us a better chance at scoring. His gut running at times really showed out as well.

McAuliffe - 4 games in and this kid has shown that he is quite comfortable at the level. Played just 66% of game time, but had 16 disposals 8 contested 5 tackles and 4 clearances. Like Dow he will benefit from having Taranto & Hopper back, but we can be confident that we have a midfield unit that can carry us forward over the next couple of years.

Ryan - justifiably copping a bit of grief for his performance, but people need to understand that he isn't a genuine KPF, but a genuine ruck being asked to help out up forward. Ryan like Nankervis plays his best as a full time ruck where he can build into the game. Asking him to come on for 5 minute bursts a couple of times a quarter just doesn't suit him. Unfortunately the injury crisis has forced us into this situation. I'd be happy for him to go back to the VFL and play the rest of the year as the number 1 ruck and let him develop his game down there.

Cumberland - the roller coaster ride continues with this kid. Gets himself in the right spots to be able to be an option, but then often lets himself down through poor execution or failure to compete in the contest. While his pressure acts and tackle numbers were good on paper a lot of those pressure acts come too late as he oftentimes is ball watching initially when realized that he needed to be the one chasing. It's these little things that are stopping him from stepping up, but he is worth persisting with. As we've seen with the likes of Dow Campbell & Ralphsmith giving the younger guys game time and allowing them to adjust to the tempo of playing senior footy can pay off.

Changes for Geelong

Out: Bolton (concussion) Sonsie Ryan Green
In: Mansell Graham Koscihtzke Smith

B: Miller Brown Balta
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Broad
C: Ralphsmith Baker Campbell
HF: Mansell Graham Cumberland
F: Koschitzke Martin Lefau
R: Nankervis Prestia Dow
INT: Short McAuliffe McIntosh Pickett Smith
Kosi has a great game in the VFL backline & you're chucking him forward? He's been tried there a few times. TBH I didn't mind Ryan's game. Used his height well, smalls crumbed off his contests. An aerial presence that Kosi can't provide.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t watched the game yet.
Was it Cumberland’s defender that got best on?
ridley pants'd cumberland but from the tv it appered pickett, dusty, lefau and ryan may have also had him at stages. balta was the one we needed but that would have stuffed up our backline which stuck to the task. a fit lynch instantly makes us a 4 goal better side.

Some real positives tonight…. and I’ll focus on the youngsters.

1. Lefau solid game … created spillages when he didn’t mark. Didn’t let McKay dominate the air. Kicked a couple.

2. Seth Campbell. Showed great hands a couple of times in the air. More than just an outside receiver … very confident we’ve got a good one in Seth.

3. Brown. Had some poor moments but a couple of times showed surprisingly good leg speed I didn’t know he had. High footy IQ and shows enough for me to know he’s got a great future.

4. Hugo. Showing great development. Will only get better as the team gets better. Proving all those who spent 2-years calling him Ralphsh*t wrong.

5. Green. Great signs to get 6 touches and 4 marks in 16-minutes of footy. Peeled off a nice kick through the middle. Early days, but doesn’t look out of place thus far.

6. McCauliffe. I think we should be very excited. Back to back very solid games for a 4-gamer. Got some great assets to be a gun but was clearly out of gas late. 16 touches at 81% and only played 66% game time. He will be a deadset beauty this kid.

7. Sonsie. I think he more than anyone will benefit from playing alongside bulls like TT and Hopper. He’s pretty timid in the contest and not sure he has the tools to be a really good player with that downside (Naicos is timid as well, but has elite everything else). The jury is out but I’d like to be seeing more from Sonsie… has time on his side and need to keep giving him games.

8. Dow. Cops a really tough time on BF. Was good overall tonight. Still played less than 30-games. His athleticism is better than it looks, he just needs to learnt to be more aggressive forward and not circle back. Thats coaching and confidence. Doing enough at this stage of his development to show he’s got a future IMO as his best footy is still ahead of him.

9. Ryan. He will never be a forward. We need to rely on him as a primary ruck. I’m still confident he will be a player, but unfortunately he still just never looks like clunking marks at AFL level. Needs to improve and I think he will, as not ready for AFL as yet.

10. Cumbo. Unfortunately zero footy IQ … how can a forward not know if you’re not in the marking contest you must stand the mark at 9m and won’t be warned to go back? His decision making and disposal is just next level haphazard - the team cannot have someone just firing kicks and handballs like a 7yo after too many raspberry cordials.. He provides energy and can be a threat, but his opponent was BOG tonight and he went goalless. When he is involved in the play I have zero confidence Cumbo has any idea what he is doing. It’s really hard to see him being a player in the future if he can’t slow down his brain and become a lot more vanilla. At the moment it doesn’t cost us as we’re already really sh*t. But when we get back to being a decent team, his errors will be really costly. Happy to give him the rest of season to earn a contract. At the moment he’s a delist, but there’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Very good summation, the Maculiffe 66% TOG stat is great. Very good numbers for so little time

I’m officially done with Cumberland. Rose-coloured glasses are finally off.

He gets beaten in contests by most of his opponents. It’s untenable
We had one tall forward yet we mostly kicked it long and high into the forward line, rarely to the advantage of our small forwards. Even Dusty lost more contests than he won and you guys blame Cumberland for not dominating.

Kosi has a great game in the VFL backline & you're chucking him forward? He's been tried there a few times. TBH I didn't mind Ryan's game. Used his height well, smalls crumbed off his contests. An aerial presence that Kosi can't provide.
OMG please tell me we aren't playing Kosi in the backline now as well??!!

this club...

Guru, could coord someone to drop in every morning and make barista level beverages for the boy.

We’d go get a coffee in the morning and we’ll look at the paper and it’s like ‘bang, there I am’. I don’t know, it’s weird, but I don’t really think too much of it.”
Done ✔️

Would love to hear from the Cumbo fan bois, his opponents were best on

And what does that make you a hater? Where were you last week campaigner when he was our best small forward. Blame the ****ing coaches for putting cumbo on ridley who is 195 cms tall and cumbo 183 cm. Balta would've been on rids but played back. For comparison it would be like Jake Kelly of the bombers playing on Lynch, you know how that's going to end.

The team played well for 4 qtrs but here you're with a post solely about Cumberland who has played 21 games.
We could've pinched it cant fault the teams efforts but we gave up some costly goals, one by short who went across goals. Ess received 3 goals by umpiring decisions inc shais 50

Last edited:
Sounds like he had a Castagna sort of game.
Except Castagna was a 100 gamer or thereabouts when he started stinking it up.

You all wanted him to fix the defensive side of his game (like castagna). Well he has.

Just need the offensive side to improve. Playing on one of the better defenders in the comp whose 195cm was always going to be rough. If we had 2 genuine talls in the fwd line he would be playing on someone his size and probably less established.

Combo is kind've psycho. his goal kicking has gone to shyte in the VFL... no better in the AFL.

Mansell for Combo & Graham for Bolton.

I recall Ryan often had hard hands. But I lament our teams chronic lack of any marking targets. Down the line & up fwd. Ryan went for it and reduced some measure of oppo aerial domination.
Yeah let’s just rush spud Graham back in. ****ing dog shit. About time he earnt his spot.

Except Castagna was a 100 gamer or thereabouts when he started stinking it up.

You all wanted him to fix the defensive side of his game (like castagna). Well he has.

Just need the offensive side to improve. Playing on one of the better defenders in the comp whose 195cm was always going to be rough. If we had 2 genuine talls in the fwd line he would be playing on someone his size and probably less established.

Well said im surprised some posters dont get it that ridley is taller and much bigger than Cumbo. A very experienced Backman. Now had lynch and Balta been up forward maybe Cumbo has a smaller match up like last week v lions and have a similar game.

We had one tall forward yet we mostly kicked it long and high into the forward line, rarely to the advantage of our small forwards. Even Dusty lost more contests than he won and you guys blame Cumberland for not dominating.
Always someone else to blame with
him though. Cumberland gets beaten by most of his opponents. I was a fan of his because of his amazing goalkicking a couple of years ago, but it’s just so tiresome trying to find excuses on why he didn’t perform every time he plays. I’m done with it.

It’s up to him to show why he should be picked now.

Back