AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I noticed is that there wasnt enough hard running. It was like they were running through a quagmire at times or in slow motion. Our first few steps after receiving were generally flat-footed and there were only a few that went BANG! and took off on receiving possession.
doggies were also a bit flat tonight. perhaps it was harder to get up for these games that each team was expected to win after last weeks' epic

What I am just loving is the way Heppell handled that last quarter. He'd already been great, but I reckon you could see he made the decision that we were not losing this game on his watch at 3/4 time and he just lifted again.

It ties into a conversation had on this board, because I've always felt that Heppell's most important talent is being able to impose himself on the contest at exactly the right moment and win a game of footy by pure willpower. Seeing him do this today gives me enormous joy.

Walla was amazing too, but Heppell... *snaps off a crisp salute*

He let him get goal side pretty easily at a crucial time in the game and he marked it uncontested directly in front.

Great defenders don't let that happen at the best of times let alone when our seasons on the line. I regard Hurley as a great defender, he wouldn't be overly happy with today

I doubt you know how he thinks or feels tbh.

Hope club essentially views that game as a loss - more was bad than good.

Been thinking about why we are so inconsistent with our effort and performance - think pressure for spots in the team is part of it. Many players have retained their spots despite ordinary form and Worsfd has refused to play unproven young talent (MCGrath aside) all year.

Would like to see a more ruthless approach to selection and a greater preparedness to play our youth.

Once upon a time, yes, but now it's a balancing act between attack and defence. He defends like you say, how much does it impact his intercept play and rebound?

There are different situations. When the opposition is going forward and we have good numbers back, sure you can zone off and go for an interception. Basically you zone off your direct opponent when the ball is being kicked to someone else. You may be able to get away with zoning off when it is a slow entry and a crowded area where the ball is being kicked to.
But when it is a counter attack from a turnover or a quick exit from our attacking half, and there is an abundance of space, and the kicker has time, you need to go straight to your opponent and start pushing him. Zoning off and hoping for a miskick is a recipe for disaster when you are caught man on man.

Hope club essentially views that game as a loss - more was bad than good.

Been thinking about why we are so inconsistent with our effort and performance - think pressure for spots in the team is part of it. Many players have retained their spots despite ordinary form and Worsfd has refused to play unproven young talent (MCGrath aside) all year.

Would like to see a more ruthless approach to selection and a greater preparedness to play our youth.

Yeah for a while now I've been feeling that we haven't taken advantage of our depth at all.
Looks like all the focus is on team stability, which has its pro's and con's.

Does anyone feel that Watson should keep his spot?

Can anybody defend a decision to retain him from a pure performance perspective?

Does anyone feel that Watson should keep his spot?

Can anybody defend a decision to retain him from a pure performance perspective?
You could probably defend him by saying something about the selection committee backing the players in when they have a bad week, and each time they've done so the players have bounced back and had their best games. You could probably also say something about him getting to every contest, and that accuracy is pretty random week to week. You could cite other examples from the returning players, make references to Tim in 1993, blame his year and a half off...

Honestly though, I think he's due for a rest in the next week or two anyway, so there's little use in defending him staying in when you know he'll probably be out regardless.

Given he's going to end up having three rests and a bye in the space of 23 weeks, it's probably fair to say he's not what he used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was great! The roar when Tippa kicked the sealer was so loud. I was on the wing, in the nosebleeds, with pretty much an entire row to myself, and as he kicked it, I found myself on my knees, arms in the air, and screaming with joy.

Also, that pick up by Stewart prior to passing to Tippa was fantastic. He is much more agile than somebody his size should be.
Stewart has been great for us

It is a tough game. It always has been and hopefully always will be. But some of the skill errors would have got you dragged in an Under-16s game and I don't think it is entirely out of whack to expect better from those playing at the highest level.
Was pretty windy and swirly today so would not have made kicking easy.

As for the match just glad to get out of it. Credit to Carlton, their coach gets the best out of them. Still can't believe the transformation of Liam Jones, he's now worth a high first pick. Key defenders who can jump and run like that.

Heppell and Tippa brilliant. Hooker's kicking is terrible last two weeks but is a beast at contested marks inside 50. Hopefully can find his kicking boots from North game where he kicked four straight in the last.

After getting way too emotionally invested in the north and dogs games, I decided I'd take it easy today and watch the game without stressing. Thank **** I chose to do it today. Was laughing as we kicked our 11th straight point, laughed as Goddard missed his 3rd target that resulted in a direct shot at goal for the blues, laughed as hooker kicked his 5th behind, didn't care or think about any umpiring decisions and only stood up once to cheer when Walla sealed the game.

Happy with my choice today otherwise I would have been bloody frustrated. Instead I was bemused.

Season is still alive and we beat the scum. It was a good day overall.

Because I've watched more than one quarter this season.

Sorry - Your post referring to today's game has no relevance - You can post after you watch the game - I will say this is endemic to sporting forums - Many post about a game/match without watching any of the game or only a small sample - It sure doesn't help meaningful discussion.

Honestly don't get the tone in here - a lot of you think we are a lot better than we actually are, obviously.

We won a game that earlier in the season (or recent seasons past) we would have lost. It's progress.

Bolton is a great coach, he consistently junks it up/gets the game on his terms against more fancied opposition. Every time we were held up and had to kick down the line, we played into their hands. They had the run of play for most of the game, yet we found a way to win.

For us that's progress, and I for one am happy about it
Our midfield was thrashed for most of the game by a team that sits last for clearances without Cripps or Curnow. That's nothing short of an embarrassing effort by our midfield group for the second week running. Carlton's defence usually keeps them in the game, not their undermanned midfield. Whilst we've improved in the midfield in the second half of the year, we've regressed in the last 2 games, which is anything but progress. The Carlton side that Sydney lost to, Adelaide scrapped with and we lost to earlier in the year isn't the same Carlton that we played yesterday. Comfortably beating a side that we're supposed to beat is progress. If Carlton had their full side and we played like that, we'd have lost that.

The reason why I'm very happy about the win is because it's Carlton. Also because it keeps our finals hopes alive. Walla and Heppell were fantastic, but many players will have some serious questions that need to be asked about them. I guess the good thing about this game is that we can clean up some serious baggage next week without the lesson costing 4 points.

Our midfield was thrashed for most of the game by a team that sits last for clearances without Cripps or Curnow. That's nothing short of an embarrassing effort by our midfield group for the second week running. Carlton's defence usually keeps them in the game, not their undermanned midfield. Whilst we've improved in the midfield in the second half of the year, we've regressed in the last 2 games, which is anything but progress. The Carlton side that Sydney lost to, Adelaide scrapped with and we lost to earlier in the year isn't the same Carlton that we played yesterday. Comfortably beating a side that we're supposed to beat is progress. If Carlton had their full side and we played like that, we'd have lost that.

The reason why I'm very happy about the win is because it's Carlton. Also because it keeps our finals hopes alive. Walla and Heppell were fantastic, but many players will have some serious questions that need to be asked about them. I guess the good thing about this game is that we can clean up some serious baggage next week without the lesson costing 4 points.
Good post JayJ20 - what baggage would you clean up in our mid-field - changed etc?

Good post JayJ20 - what baggage would you clean up in our mid-field - changed etc?
First change I'd make without a doubt is Watson for Bird. Watson is not helping us in the middle, nor is he helping us in the forwardline. Our midfield looked really good with Bird in the side against St Kilda.

I'd be very tempted to remove Myers for Langford as well. At least Langford takes his time to think about where he is kicking it.

This is despite Parish and Heppell having a good game. Merrett and Zaharakis had pretty good games as well, yet we got thrashed in the middle. Watson and Myers really are dragging us down big time at the moment. TBC also needs to lift, but he has been relatively good this year

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back