Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how you lose from that winning position, but we sure did stop-dead two weeks running.
For a top game, there wasn't one top umpire given the nod for this game - and it showed. Tiggy touch wood deliberates and then the gutless refusal to pay 50 to McStay. Plus, somehow the Arc overruled a goal that was total guesswork. Sometimes you just have to laugh and move on.

There seems to be a pattern with our last quarter fade outs this year.We always seem to kick the first goal of the last quarter,get to a five goal lead or so,then we seem to think that game has been won and we become too conservative.We usually hang on until about halfway through the last quarter,then the opposition will kick a goal out of nowhere,then another shortly after that,and then we start to panic and all of a sudden we look like headless chooks running around the field.

It’s odd how these games always seem to follow the same pattern.You’d think we’d learn from our mistakes from previous games,but we never seem to find a way of adjusting to the changes in the game.

I'm not sure how you lose from that winning position, but we sure did stop-dead two weeks running.
For a top game, there wasn't one top umpire given the nod for this game - and it showed. Tiggy touch wood deliberates and then the gutless refusal to pay 50 to McStay. Plus, somehow the Arc overruled a goal that was total guesswork. Sometimes you just have to laugh and move on.
Two weeks running and at least 3 other times this season alone (vs Hawks, Crows, Freo)

It only makes you look like a whiny sook. Particularly after a loss.

There are proper channels to ask for clarification on decisions. And that's what Fly would do.

He's not a whinging grandstanding Scott brother.
Funnily enough he did bring it up.

He did it without whining.

Paraphrasing said it was a home ground non-call, lots of deliberates paid, umpires make mistakes. Sure the AFL will say it should’ve been 50, but they will defend the deliberates

On this we can agree. Very frustrating!

I dont think the umpires are corrupt and I dont think the AFL is out to get us.

But I do think the manufacturers of our footy boots put something on the soles to make us slip over at critical times.

(I'm only half joking)
Umpires aren't corrupt, but I'm confident that just as they they were told to crack down on Ginni, they were also told to crack down on the way we closed down games. The result for both has been being umpired differently.

Thought Adams would have been helpful with our injuries this year, but I didn’t realise he was playing until late in the third quarter. No midfield minutes for Adams either.

It only makes you look like a whiny sook. Particularly after a loss.

There are proper channels to ask for clarification on decisions. And that's what Fly would do.

He's not a whinging grandstanding Scott brother.

No Fly actually called out the umpires and the decisions we questioned too in his presser.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Me too. As I said, for the first time in three years I'm in that cut up the membership card kind of mood! It will pass but it's been a shitty year on the home front and one of the things that keeps you going is the Pies and the hope you cling to.
It feels like a stab in the guts.
Take a step back mate and consider whats really important. We all love Collingwood but at the end of the day, there are more important things in life. I'd love to see us win by 20 goals every week, but its just not going to happen and at the end of the day, the sun will come up tomorrow. I was very lucky to be alive to see us win it last year, so every game I see now is a blessing. Try to just take it in and enjoy it for what it is. Just a game.

It's not these days, it's been happening for decades to nearly every team who does it defending leads in last quarters by trying to not attack is a really great way to let your opposition back in.

It's been that way since Buckley was a player till now. Parking the bus is a shit tactic.
Yes, but it's should be easier to shut out games these days compared to then. Even with the superior defensive setups, you can't protect a lead like you can in soccer.

When will coaches learn?

Funnily enough he did bring it up.

He did it without whining.

Paraphrasing said it was a home ground non-call, lots of deliberates paid, umpires make mistakes. Sure the AFL will say it should’ve been 50, but they will defend the deliberates
Of course he wouldn't be whiny about it. It's not his style.

I'm guessing he responded to a direct question considering some of those decisions were so dodgy.

I'm sure he'll also ask for clarification from the AFL via the proper channels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to be a pretty special type to blame Schultz for us losing when our whole midfield failed to touch the ball in the whole last quarter whilst their guns went berserk.

I thought our midfield looked totally flat in the last quarter. That was it and that was the game.

Umpires aren't corrupt, but I'm confident that just as they they were told to crack down on Ginni, they were also told to crack down on the way we closed down games. The result for both was being umpired differently.
The tighter holding the ball interpretation certainly impacted on our ability to close down games. No surprise all sides are giving up greater margins since the memo. Insufficient intent might be the next wave.

My blood is BOILING right now. Forget the multiple deliberates and non-paid 50 against McCartin for running 10m over the mark. DID WE NOT LEARN ****ING ANYTHING FROM LAST WEEK?

Heeney, like Cripps last week has put his team on his shoulders and for an entire quarter we couldn’t find an answer.

AGAIN, we’re shown up in the midfield when it counted. AGAIN, if we’re not getting maximum output from Nick no one is stepping up. AGAIN, we couldn’t just find a single goal to stem the flow.

Thank **** for Mitch McGovern last week, because we’d be staring at back to back shitting of the bed. Get beat, fine. Get beat by what you know, inexcusable.

So good for so long in this game, and now our season is over. Good riddance. I’m ****ing filthy.
You said what we are all thinking. I think this season should tell us a few things about our group that should be acknowledged now and steps taken to refresh the list asap.

1. Many of our players look to be satisfied with the one premiership and are just not prepared to give 100% anymore.

This can mean that some cannot be relied upon to take us to our next premiership, so what do you do with them? I mean, we can't cut the heart out of the list but if the hunger is gone then we are just going to spin the wheels for a long while. We need to start replacing th eold and in with the new, start now, get more fresh blood in and start retiring a couple each year until we a ready for another tilt. Pendles is safe, but Sidey, Howe, Cox, WHE should be in the gun.

2. As a consequence of #1 we tried to "cheat" our way into the finals in 2024. I really think we tried to win games with the least amount of effort required just to sneak through protecting our old boys and trying to avoid more injuries which ironically tends to result in even more injuries (then flick the old switch in the finals), unfortunately we came up short too often.

3. The midfield does lack depth and new blood. It needs reinvigorating. It needs some depth to re-create the aggressive running. A couple of new additions to the mids is needed. We have no trade currency though so how do we do this?

4. The game plan is old, I am tired of it, you are tired of it and the players look tired of it. Let's go back to a forward press type style and create those turnovers closer to goal instead of giving away so much possession waiting and waiting for it to come back to us. Not only that the mental attitude to attack the game needs to return, no team can succeed without it.

5. A new fitness program or at least a damn honest review. Too many injuries this year to key players. Too many long term injuries, we can take the the 2 to 4 week injuries now and then but all these 6-8, 8-10 or longer injuries are back breaking for all concerned. Could any of these have been avoided? I don't know the answer but why was JDG not fit this season? How did McStay injure his knee in November, Mitchell all year, Elliott, Mihocek, Cox etc far too many whatever the case. Look at what we are doing in this space and is anyome accountable?

Alot of questions to answer in the off-season. We need to shake up the list starting now not later if we are going to contend asap. This is why giving away 1st round picks haphazardly is just unacceptable when you have no player currency to work with. We have a lot to do as I think this list has won its flag and looks cooked now.

Outside of the game against PA twice in 2 years at the G, and the game against GWS last year, have we actually showed a killer instinct in the last 5 years?

In the last 2 seasons, we’ve had 32 games decided by under 5 goals either way. 22 of them decided by under 2 goals. Let that sink in.

We had plllllenty of injuries last year

Seems everyone has short memories
Yeah, we did especially mid year. Didn’t seem to be a weekly occurrence though and we got most back in the second half of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back