Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

The year is now officially over so we can put season 2024 into a sheet of toilet paper and flush it! A stinker of a year so underwhelming (except for beating Carlton twice) and the opposite of what we all hoped we would be. After a stellar 2023 culminating in our 16th flag I am sure all of us expected some level of improvement and a serious back to back push but we didn't start the season ready to go and like an old lawnmower we were just pulling on the cord over and over never getting it going. A season not dissimilar to the Cats of 2023, lessons not learned.

The game last night was a perfect reflection of our team performance, far too defensive in nature, not able to attack the game with speed and ferocity when needed and not able to arrest momentum late in games when the heat is on. At the death in so many games this year we were left flailing, look at both Bombers games, Suns, Freo, last Carlton game and Crows at the MCG (we won but gave up leads late), Dogs, the 3 opening games, the Hawks debacle, that North game falling 9 goals down, the list goes on. So many games we couldn't finish strong or gave up ridiculous amounts of consecutive goals, this was not a trait of the successful 22/23 seasons. We fell back to the pack and below, last night summed it all up perfectly.

Do I mention the horrific one-sided umpiring especially in the last 15 minutes that all went in the Swans favour? What a biased and game controlling display that was from the maggots. The umps were half the reason for the loss not all of it, but when we decide to go into full turtle mode for 15 minutes and the umps also decide to give Sydney all the advantage it is a recipe for disaster. I really just can't understand the "go defensive" game mode, especially 15 min out from the final siren. How did it get to these levels of extremity? We used to close down the last 2 min (effective time managemnt), then it became the last 5 min, then the last 10 min, now it is the last 15 to 20 min......it is insanity! It cost us our season in the end. Only the brave prosper, the meek wither.

On to 2025. Freshen up the list somehow, get a stronger game plan that involves scoring in the last 15 minutes and maybe we can avoid falling into the abyss of 9th to 14th for 5 years.

I’m clutching?
You’re the one using Social media as the crutch of universal truth.
Like my earlier post proves its completely fickle and out of touch on so many occasions.
But by all means keep worshipping at the alter of Socials - it’s a free Country.
You are arguing with the same blokes that disappear when we win.
Others here that spew garbage and instantly come on board after a player plays a blinder.
Most of our players have had horrible postings here at one time or another.

Hyperbole?

Are you saying we didn’t have a lot of injuries last year?

I literally listed it all out and even probably forgot a few.

For a person named “No SPIN” it’s crazy how basically all you do is post spin.

I never said our injury list was worse. I didn’t even list a number. All I said was we had plenty of injuries. Which is factually correct.
How many injuries at this pointy end of the season.
Stop your criticism and thoughts without using your brain.

McRae and Wright the latest to cop abuse from idjuts here.

How many injuries at this pointy end of the season.
Stop your criticism and thoughts without using your brain.

McRae and Wright the latest to cop abuse from idjuts here.

De Geoy, Daicos, Moore all missed the last month. I think De Goey came back for Essendon

Hill even missed the Brisbane game

Try again?

'It would have been paid at the MCG': Pies fume at non 50m call - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190922

And this is what the game has become, a circus, so many farce decisions.
AFL within the next10 years, good chance people will leave watching the game in droves.....
I stopped watching AFL as a game years ago, I now only watch Collingwood games.

Just a small side note:

3 of the past 4 premiers have missed finals the year following their premiership victory. Melbourne being the odd one out.

If we look at finals victories though the last premier to win a final since their last flag was Richmond in 2019/20.

So yes this is crap and it hurts but it’s a common trend at the moment, more so than ever before I think.

Hopefully we bounce back in 2025.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your not exactly William Shakespeare

Schultz is a dud IMO
And you can go on until
The cows come home saying he’s Steven Milne or Luke Bruest
Trade has been a shocker
Are you more upset about the trade or the form of the pies ?

If they backed up their form from last season then pick say 15 to 18 would be a win.

Seems a lot of people are upset at the wrong thing.

I have no worries about the first round pick we gave, I’m more worried about the drop in form.

you seriously think our forwardline functions better this season?
I seriously think our overall performance has been impacted by lack of team cohesion due to our staggering injury list.
If you can’t see or appreciate this fact then I may as well be discussing with an inanimate object.

Are you more upset about the trade or the form of the pies ?

If they backed up their form from last season then pick say 15 to 18 would be a win.

Seems a lot of people are upset at the wrong thing.

I have no worries about the first round pick we gave, I’m more worried about the drop in form.
Agree - unfortunately the poster can’t see the wood for the trees.
But he’s not alone.

Not an excuse, but I think we can slightly temper our expectations of outcomes...

I think we have seen enough signs that we will recoup and have a big shot at 2025.

Depends on finishing position and the draw we get, mid table can still end up with a top-8 looking draw so unless we slip down to 13th then there are no guarantees on that front.

You will get a decent disposal efficiency when your dinking the footy 15 to 20 metres to a teammate. In the last quarter when he just needed to hit up the lead, he couldn't and then missed a simple handball to a teammate at the most crucial time. Those are the instances players like Bytel need to stand up and show they have the capability and he didn't....
He’s improving week to week, you can’t ask for anything more.

Cut a semi-circle out of one side and it can do duty as one of those old-fashioned dunny bowl mats...

I seriously think our overall performance has been impacted by lack of team cohesion due to our staggering injury list.
If you can’t see or appreciate this fact then I may as well be discussing with an inanimate object.
I can see and appreciate that fact has effected our results this year. That Doesn’t absolve our recruiting staff and coaching staff for the poor decisions they’ve made.

You forget we started the year 0-3 with virtually no injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back