Autopsy Round 9 = Collingwood 51-99 Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe how our coaching group is escaping criticism (only about team selection).

The Geelong and WC game was so frustrating and now with WB coming out of the blocks they way they did, they tried nothing.

To date it seems to me that McRae is just one dimensional. Haven't seen in game positional moves from him at all.

Some things I would have tried would have been:

Crisp back to his normal role, N Daicos to the wing, J Daicos to the centre or even one of the the Daicos boys to the centre, WHE on the wing, maybe Sidebottom back. I wouldn't have left JDG in the centre all night either.

The other player who I think hasn't performed to expectations this year is Maynard, not even sure what his role is apart from the obligatory brain fade or two.
Spot on , even a move of Moore forward , he has been out of sorts , spark him up a bit , everyone has been singing the coaches praises , yes he speaks well , is rather humble , engaging , but at the end of the day , does he have the vision , tactical nous ?, the take the game on at all costs has its downside , whilst it looks good , when it comes off , but inevitably, when you are not a highly skilled side , which we are not , you will be punished heavily the other way quite often , I’m not sold on this mostly unaccountable method of play , Fly needs to find the balance , he can toy around with it this year whilst he enjoys his honeymoon period , come next year , the spotlight will be on him , the jury is out , definitely a great assistant coach , does he have the right stuff to make it as a senior coach ? Time and further evolving of his game style will be the deciding factor .

I can't believe how our coaching group is escaping criticism (only about team selection).

The Geelong and WC game was so frustrating and now with WB coming out of the blocks they way they did, they tried nothing.

To date it seems to me that McRae is just one dimensional. Haven't seen in game positional moves from him at all.

Some things I would have tried would have been:

Crisp back to his normal role, N Daicos to the wing, J Daicos to the centre or even one of the the Daicos boys to the centre, WHE on the wing, maybe Sidebottom back. I wouldn't have left JDG in the centre all night either.

The other player who I think hasn't performed to expectations this year is Maynard, not even sure what his role is apart from the obligatory brain fade or two.
Maynard got named player of the week on the club site but I am not so sure about that.

Dees we’re eventually going to get a flag, their 50 year hiatus is damning regardless of their recent success.
It’s absurd to imply we should envy their recent success given their 50 years in the wilderness.
Still bad as that 50 year hiatus was they now stand 3 flags to our 2 in my lifetime. That hurts.

We are unlikely to build a team like the current Melbourne team.

Their current team has 11 players from picks 1-10, then another 7 from 11-20 and 7 from 21-30 from the draft or from other clubs.
So true Maggie. Our big problem is we are building with minimal access to the top 10 and top 20 draft picks o er the last 7 drafts. While you need more than just good draft picks to build a flag side history says its impossible to succeed without thos top picks.

We need to defy history. Big ask.

Until they win the next two or three. Only one to blame for Collingwood is Collingwood, those individuals now gone but the pain will remain for some time.
You live in the past and need to get over it.
Who cares if they win 2 or 3 - it could be just like the 50’s where their dominance ultimately ended in a 50 year drought.

There is no such thing as permanent success or domination in the modern game, given the AFL’s equalization distortions.

So true Maggie. Our big problem is we are building with minimal access to the top 10 and top 20 draft picks o er the last 7 drafts. While you need more than just good draft picks to build a flag side history says its impossible to succeed without thos top picks.

We need to defy history. Big ask.

We need a few years in the bottom to restock, unfortunately it looks like we're going finish mid-table, which is the worst possible outcome.

If you’re serious- I’d say you need to find more important things to worry about.
Really. I am very serious. I remember the 1970 GF like yesterday. I long ago stopped worrying I was Collingwood obsessed. Our success and failure take up a big part of my waking hours. I always assumed that was true for most on the board. Not sure i think there are that many things more important.

P.S i used to think maybe my kids but I got over that nonsense

We need a few years in the bottom to restock, unfortunately it looks like we're going finish mid-table, which is the worst possible outcome.
You shouldn’t have a problem with your team doing better than everyone predicted.
It means we are far more competitive and exceeded expectations which is a huge positive for the group.

Really. I am very serious. I remember the 1970 GF like yesterday. I long ago stopped worrying I was Collingwood obsessed. Our success and failure take up a big part of my waking hours. I always assumed that was true for most on the board. Not sure i think there are that many things more important.

We all have bad memories
of failed GF’s - but as Clarkson said after losing the 2011 PF - there’s more important things than football.

As long as, no matter where we finish in the next few years, we get the low picks right and fluke a few later ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all have bad memories
of failed GF’s - but as Clarkson said after losing the 2011 PF - there’s more important things than football.
Or as Vince Lombadi said. Football isnt a matter of life or death. Its more important than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love your passion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn’t have a problem with your team doing better than everyone predicted.
It means we are far more competitive and exceeded expectations which is a huge positive for the group.

We will be more competitive in the short term, but long term we will suffer by not having enough talent to seriously push for a premiership, how do u not grasp that?

You live in the past and need to get over it.
Who cares if they win 2 or 3 - it could be just like the 50’s where their dominance ultimately ended in a 50 year drought.

There is no such thing as permanent success or domination in the modern game, given the AFL’s equalization distortions.

All of this is in reply to posters who bemoan 'we won't become the dees if...............................' and then the conversation went from there. Fact is we won't be the dees (or equivalent) > period < in this cycle. If the planets align we may pinch a flag when our current mid age group will be at career end.

I never alluded anything about permanent success, that's absurd you suggest I allude that.

Nothing to do with 'living in the past', merely explaining reason on how we got here. Individuals now gone got us here and we'll be here for some time.

I care about being better than the competition, if you don't that's your prerogative. Not sure why you'd bother having an interest if that's your position.

Pretty simple Cox has had years and still not produced - I was prepared to give him a chance with the specs but it's pretty clear he'll only ever consistently be remotely competitive in the VFL.

So the question is do you believe the often quoted question and it's answer???

Q What is the definition of insanity?

A Constantly repeating what doesn't work.

Yeah, look, I'm not a huge fan of Cox. But Begg isn't working at the moment either. Cox has shown once every 3 games he plays very well. So I'd definitely choose him first.

I mean, do you think our ruck/forward setup is working now? Because if it isn't and you don't want to change, that's insanity too.

We will be more competitive in the short term, but long term we will suffer by not having enough talent to seriously push for a premiership, how do u not grasp that?

You make a miscalculation- namely, that the talent of our youth, and game plan is the reason for exceeding expectations.
That’s a huge tick that puts us well ahead of bottoming out over several years.
It also means our current guns don’t get too old before we contend again.

How do u not grasp that?

All of this is in reply to posters who bemoan 'we won't become the dees if...............................' and then the conversation went from there. Fact is we won't be the dees (or equivalent) > period < in this cycle. If the planets align we may pinch a flag when our current mid age group will be at career end.

I never alluded anything about permanent success, that's absurd you suggest I allude that.

Nothing to do with 'living in the past', merely explaining reason on how we got here. Individuals now gone got us here and we'll be here for some time.

I care about being better than the competition, if you don't that's your prerogative. Not sure why you'd bother having an interest if that's your position.
I wouldn’t be here if I had no interest in the success of my club.
But lamentations about past failures is a waste of time.

I wouldn’t be here if I had no interest in the success of my club.
But lamentations about past failures is a waste of time.

Again, I'm merely pointing out to other posters who lament the now that don't seem to acknowledge the why and how we're here now. Talk to them about time wasting not me.

If you don't give a sh*t which you've clearly conceded, then you knock yourself out.

Again, I'm merely pointing out to other posters who lament the now that don't seem to acknowledge the why and how we're here now. Talk to them about time wasting not me.

If you don't give a sh*t which you've clearly conceded, then you knock yourself out.
Think there is more than what you are posting about as I don't think we are a 48pt worse team than this weeks result.

This big a loss I would expect and not be happy about it from Melbourne not the Bulldogs.

Think there is more than what you are posting about as I don't think we are a 48pt worse team than this weeks result.

This big a loss I would expect and not be happy about it from Melbourne not the Bulldogs.

No we aren't, being better than Friday night is not the end game though.

We're last on the development train in the comp, not to mention the past failings that got us into the position we're in, these results like Friday should be expected. And our optimistic expectations should be tempered.

I'm merely pointing out to posters who lament where we are now as to why we're here now.

You make a miscalculation- namely, that the talent of our youth, and game plan is the reason for exceeding expectations.
That’s a huge tick that puts us well ahead of bottoming out over several years.
It also means our current guns don’t get too old before we contend again.

How do u not grasp that?

Which young player, outside of Ginnivan, has helped us win games this year?

We're being carried by Moore Crisp De Goey Adams Mihocek Lipinkski Noble Pendlebury Sidebottom ect.

Why is bottoming out a bad thing exactly? Richmond and Melbourne, the two most recent premiers, both bottomed out.... So maybe.. it's a good thing??

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9 = Collingwood 51-99 Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back