VFL VFL round 15 v Frankston. Sunday July 7 1:05pm @ Kinetic stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Our coaches have not had their best year in this respect

Eyre forward when he is a defender

Quaynor on a wing

Frampton forward

Bytel and Carmichael on wings

Not just the players struggling
Eyre’s a swingman and our depth for wing isn’t huge. Have to look at injuries when those players were there.

How do you define “Poor ball movement”?

No point having a precision kick if the kicker constantly makes the wrong decision, or constantly gets caught with the footy, or has a poor defensive game, or lacks tank.

Our team values ‘chaos ball’. Maybe it’s good enough for players to be able to kick the ball in the general direction of where they need to, and trust their team-mates / gameplan is good enough to win the footy.
I guess it is just chalk and cheese when you watch the reserves play. It looks nothing like the seniors. The seniors have great kicks (Nick, Josh, Pendles, Steele) who change direction, use angles, go backwards to create overlap run and find space. Maybe the reseves should be encouraged to be more daring with their ball movement and shift lanes more often? Go back to go forwards sometimes and retain possession of the ball for longer?

"We don't value kicking maybe at the level of others", followed by discussion of kick efficiency.

It's a bit of a worry, as it feels like teams are positioning outlets and absorbing pressure better and clogging up run and not getting as overwhelmed by numbers of runners with the tigers style that we're built from.

It feels like when it went from the initial press to the Hawks kicking it well in defence.

It's a bit of a worry, as it feels like teams are positioning outlets and absorbing pressure better and clogging up run and not getting as overwhelmed by numbers of runners with the tigers style that we're built from.

It feels like when it went from the initial press to the Hawks kicking it well in defence.
I tend to agree, I think there's a bit of a shift underway in the way teams win. I also think teams are running us a little ragged with uncontested marking in their back half. Poking holes in the way we defend

Perhaps our coaches & fitness staff thought Eyre would put less strain on his troublesome hamstrings playing forward for the first few weeks of him returning. It just may be a temporary move. Just a possibility to consider that's all.

Perhaps our coaches & fitness staff thought Eyre would put less strain on his troublesome hamstrings playing forward for the first few weeks of him returning. It just may be a temporary move. Just a possibility to consider that's all.
Yeah its definitely something that ive thought is an option. Hasn't played much footy since august, might be a way to ease him through some games. Also probably part of it is because there are opportunities up forward as well, with Mihocek not getting any younger

View attachment 2042431
2020 draft not looking great, Beau the only one that looks ok, most are reasonably high draft picks.
2021 thanks god for Nick, we also gave up pick 2 if my recollection is correct
2022 not looking great. Joe richards looks a good prospect
View attachment 2042436
2023 bit early to tell but harry doesnt seem to be going gangbusters

Henry is looking very good.

Our coaches have not had their best year in this respect

Eyre forward when he is a defender

Quaynor on a wing

Frampton forward

Bytel and Carmichael on wings

Not just the players struggling

I’m happy for those moves. They were largely driven through necessity rather than any lightbulb moment.

Eyre is a defender until he isn’t. Was initially recruited as a forward and we have a scarcity of in form and/or available options.

Quaynor to a wing allowed Sidey to play behind the footy. Sidey our best player so hard to argue it didn’t work. Quaynor will be better for the experience. Hopefully next time he isn’t impacted by a foot issue. I think he’d be a very good wingman with more exposure.

Frampton was only moved forward as he was the best available option for that 2nd ruck support.

Bytel and Carmichael to wings was worth a punt. If it had worked and they’d transitioned to the senior side it gives us much greater flexibility in how we use Jaicos and Sidey.

Last edited:
The guy we dug our heals in and refused to trade...until pick 26 came along?

The club can spin the Titch angle all they want, we'd have landed him anyway for junk picks.

So we just ignore the fact we drafted him because you didn’t like the trade…. Right.

So we just ignore the fact we drafted him because you didn’t like the trade…. Right.
Nope, I think he was a great pick - who's ignoring it?
Wish he was still on our list
Players can leave, that's his right, but I wouldn't have traded him for pick 26 (or at the very least, I wouldn't have postured that anything less than a first-rounder was acceptable...and then let him go for a second
...although, to be fair, others have said the Schultz thread that a late first is basically a second so perhaps an earliest 2nd is basically a fist so perhaps we did get what we asked for)
Right.

Nope, I think he was a great pick - who's ignoring it?
Wish he was still on our list
Players can leave, that's his right, but I wouldn't have traded him for pick 26 (or at the very least, I wouldn't have postured that anything less than a first-rounder was acceptable...and then let him go for a second
...although, to be fair, others have said the Schultz thread that a late first is basically a second so perhaps an earliest 2nd is basically a fist so perhaps we did get what we asked for)
Right.

Drought Break claimed that McCreery was the only decent pick from the 2020 draft which prompted my initial post. Sorry, when you responded I assumed you were supporting that claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2042431
2020 draft not looking great, Beau the only one that looks ok, most are reasonably high draft picks.
2021 thanks god for Nick, we also gave up pick 2 if my recollection is correct
2022 not looking great. Joe richards looks a good prospect
View attachment 2042436
2023 bit early to tell but harry doesnt seem to be going gangbusters

2020 draft is a hit when you consider what we spent:

Future first(pick2)
First
Treloar
Stepho
Future second

glad we ignored the go home factor and gave him away for a pack of chips. Very successful as he is now playing for an opponent.

Go home factor is way overblown.

Plenty of teenagers - footy players and non-footy players alike happily move around the country and around the world for opportunity without any pull of a “go home” factor.

The reason it gets overblown is that it’s media friendly reason that gets tossed out for convenience.

How often do you hear a player say “I’m leaving because the coach is a dickhead”? or “I’m leaving because my team-mates are losers”? or “I’m gods gift to football but my stupid coach doesn’t appreciate me”? or “The idiot coach refuses to stick me in the goal square and have me kick goals - He wants me to do all this running and chasing and tackling BS. FFS, doesn’t he know footy is about scoring goals? They don’t determine the winner of a game by friggen tackle count”?

We did see with Adams and Ginnivan that their leaving wasn’t all rainbows and lollipops, but that’s rare.

There are a tonne of reasons why players leave footy clubs, but their managers train them to trot out one of a bunch of media friendly cliches like “I want to go home closer to my friends and family” or “I want to go for more opportunity” or “I need a fresh start”.

Remember Kurt Tippett? He wanted to leave Adelaide to “Go Home” to Queensland - only to end up at the Swans.

I just think it's a development year for him. Get him ready for next year. A bit of time up forward now won't do him any harm at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL round 15 v Frankston. Sunday July 7 1:05pm @ Kinetic stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back