Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Barass + Battle is a hell of a lot more exciting an off season than just getting Smith. Our defence gets unbelievably bolstered plus we bring in an experienced KPD to mentor McCabe. We were crying out for explosive midfielders but now we have an explosive midfield instead with depth to boot. Our forward line is developing beyond expectations, Ginni and Watson can act as additional midfielders and our side is showing some incredible balance and flexibility. Solidify our back 6 like this and release Weddle and allow Sicily and Hardwick to roam at will - yeah I can get behind that.

Only thing I wouldn’t love about Barass is that he’s contracted to 2027 so West Coast hold all the chips in any dealing.

They might mark everything in sight, but there's really no run out of the backline with that lineup. Impey is there, but without Hardwick there he'd be asked to mind the opponents best a small forward.

The run is clearly something Mitchell has wanted with Weddle, Amon and Impey playing there this season.

Maybe the wingmen and HFF will provide the rebounding run?
Seamus Mitchell.

I reckon we were saying similar things about Brian Lake when we got him from the dogs re: injuries/age etc, if you see him every week like I do watching eagles games (I come from an eagles family please pity me) you’d know just how good he is and how reliable he is.

In a team with actual midfield defensive pressure and structure where the ball isn’t coming in 20 times a quarter he will be even better.
Nah, it was such a clear and obvious need we had for a gorilla defender. Shoenmakers was doing okay in some match ups but we were found out when he was isolated due to his lack of experience and strength.

In 1 offseason we got Lake and Spangher and now Gibson and Stratton didn't need to play tall as much or leave to help out as much.

Instead of hoping we'd manage a spoil in the long kick to the 1v1 we knew Lake would outmark the forward most of the time.

He was AA in I think 2009 and 2010 when that trade went through I was certain the 2013 flag was ours.

Nah, it was such a clear and obvious need we had for a gorilla defender. Shoenmakers was doing okay in some match ups but we were found out when he was isolated due to his lack of experience and strength.

In 1 offseason we got Lake and Spangher and now Gibson and Stratton didn't need to play tall as much or leave to help out as much.

Instead of hoping we'd manage a spoil in the long kick to the 1v1 we knew Lake would outmark the forward most of the time.

He was AA in I think 2009 and 2010 when that trade went through I was certain the 2013 flag was ours.
Plenty would have questioned it but not you and me.
To us it was clear as day.
Lake = premierships.

He and Hill were the last pieces added to one of the greatest teams in history. No weaknesses, no passengers.

Collingwood and Melbourne are great examples of teams who could get to the top but couldn't stay there because they didn't have every piece.

I really hope we are planning for a dynasty not a one and done. For that we need as many quality KPPs as we can get our hands on. Young ,old and in between.

Barrass and Battle put us in the window. Dear and McCabe could keep us there for a long while.

We were a better scoring side when we brought Lake in, 2012 we kicked some massive scores on the run home, I remember that Essendon game how quickly we put 10 goals on them, but we conceded a few also which is why we got lake.

This team I feel avg 90’s not enough and feel we should try to score more heavily before we throw the kitchen sink at trying to get a 28 year old FB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree with somebody above, if Mitchell is throwing in the hat for Barrass, you'd be pretty sure Smith ain't coming.
I can say this, if so, he has changed his mind from six months ago.
Trading 2 years into the future is going to happen this year according to Twomey today.

Smith and Barass are not worth more than 3 first rounders collectively.

Barrass Battle Scrimshaw Sicily means you need Hardwick Impey Massimo and maybe Mitchell for smalls and run. Weddle 3rd forward Amon wing.

So best 22 2025 something like:
Hardwick Barrass D’Ambrosio
Impey Battle Sicily
CJ Newk Amon
Moore Chol Weddle
CMac Dear Ginnivan
Meek Day Worpel
Nash Scrimshaw Ward Watson
Emergencies Mackenzie Maginness Frost Mitchell

Zero reason to be sceptical about what it'd take to get Barrass. West Coast will play hard ball but at his age it's not going to net them much (if anything) more than what ours or the Dogs first might be.

In terms of his age, reckon he's got a decent 4 or so years left of good footy in him which helps with short term goals but also buys some time to either target or develop another key defender. At this stage, injury aside, I'm not sold on Blanck and he's the only person we have who can play on genuine talls outside of Frost.

Pretty low risk, high upside move all round. Don't get too many opportunities to nab a top 10 or so key defender.

I have cooled on the prospect of Baz, not because of the Cats more so at the start of the year I thought how badly our team needed someone like him. Over the last three months with our form I nearly want to keep watching the kids develop with another top pick. I’ve loved watching these kids develop and grow every week.
Barrass would be massive, but given his age and where Eagles are at it doesn’t make sense for them to let one of their best players under contract go for cheap. We would have to put up an offer that they could justify to their members and I’m just not sure I want to pay that price for a bloke with his injury history.
Frosty has been super this year, I would feel for the bloke after playing in shit teams and having commentators and opposition supporters laugh at him, finally gets it together and the team starts winning and the club brings in your replacement. It can be a cruel sport if it happens.

I reckon we were saying similar things about Brian Lake when we got him from the dogs re: injuries/age etc, if you see him every week like I do watching eagles games (I come from an eagles family please pity me) you’d know just how good he is and how reliable he is.

In a team with actual midfield defensive pressure and structure where the ball isn’t coming in 20 times a quarter he will be even better.

Granted it was 12 years ago - but I seem to remember there being a collective sigh of relief and jubilation on here when we got Lake. I don’t think there was anything but a odd minority who didn’t see the need at the time. Plus we got him cheap.

Granted it was 12 years ago - but I seem to remember there being a collective sigh of relief and jubilation on here when we got Lake. I don’t think there was anything but an odd minority who didn’t see the need at the time. Plus we got him cheap.
Agree I was disappointed when we missed out on him a couple of years before that.

first round pick for Lake
he was 30 (yrs old)
won us three flags, not a bad deal

It wasn’t a first round pick. It was a 6 pick downgrade (they had 27 and we had pick 21) and our pick 43. It was the original Brian’s bargain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back