Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure what you mean by change but to me that’s 3rd round pics and lower. Two first rounders for Barrass is insanity. That’s all I’m saying. Imagine if we had traded for him last year, we wouldn’t have picked up Watson who will give us 15+ years of service. My position is that if we can bring in Barrass and Battle for a first rounder it’s a good result.
We probably wouldn't have traded it for him last year? Clubs don't make decisions in complete ignorance of the picks available to them, they treat the value of the picks based on the player/s they'd expect to get at that pick. This is why "1st rounder" is such an annoying catch all, Pick 1-5 and the players that are available are a completely different prospect to Pick 13-18.

They'd have their draft order laid out, and they'd know based on that order which picks in the first round they'd take to the draft and which they'd be happy to trade.

We probably wouldn't have traded it for him last year? Clubs don't make decisions in complete ignorance of the picks available to them, they treat the value of the picks based on the player/s they'd expect to get at that pick. This is why "1st rounder" is such an annoying catch all, Pick 1-5 and the players that are available are a completely different prospect to Pick 13-18.

They'd have their draft order laid out, and they'd know based on that order which picks in the first round they'd take to the draft and which they'd be happy to trade.
Fair point. Lots of great sleepers out there though.

Geelong are to delist Brandan Parfitt.

Goodness - I remember he started out as a guy who looked like being a really decent player.

Anyone know why?

Injuries, off-field stuff?

He seemed to be the 'next midfield star' a few years back for Geelong - now to be delisted.

Funny old game Footy.

Really? You reckon it's easy for him to decide to leave the club that drafted and developed him into the player he is. Where he has great mates. Where he feels an obvious sense of loyalty. A club that is offering him great money to stay too. It's a career defining decision.
Exactly and now the poor b@stard has had to pretend like there's a chance of him staying for the last 7-8 weeks 😂

Just imagine if the AFL handed out compensation based on the exiting players last contract at the club?

Ie- Battle has been on 450k for the past 3 years and wants to leave and the AFL say here is your 3rd round pick Saints for the incompetent list management on your own behalf.
Or just based on what the club losing player has tabled as next offer. Shows how well they are valued and must be able to fit in cap as player could choose to take it up and stay

Can people stop trying to come up with ways to trade Ward?
We trade Ward and DGB to Fremantle for pick 1 and pick 36. A year later Ward comes back because his missus misses victoria.

We will be making an offer that is consistent with the Saints level one compo.
I'd expect if this is the case that we're not doing it out of the goodness of our hearts. Paying Battle more than what has already been agreed to just to devalue our own first rounder in the process.

There might be a side deal involving fringe players from either club that will now lean in our favour. Or perhaps as simple as keeping them from getting too pissy so Roughy can poach from them again next year.

I've never really understood the whole compensation thing, realistically there shouldn't be any compensation as the leaving player creates a void in your SC which you ca use to entice other players with. The receiving team is diminishing their SC means that fringe players might be forced out. That in itself is equalisation.

Attaching a compo to the free agent means that clubs can dodge the system for draft picks at the expense of clubs that aren't directly involved which is exactly against "equalisation", ie McKay last year where we got shafted back one spot

Last edited:
Just watched Sicily's press conference he held today and noticed he mentioned that he sees Battle often as they share many mutual friends including Brad Hill, I was wondering if he has tried in any way to sway Battle to make the move to the Mighty Hawks.

Last edited:
And then with pick 36 we draft our future coach from the Box Hill Hawks
Who happens to bring in the odd handy Charlie medal along the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will be making an offer that is consistent with the Saints level one compo.
Why would we bother? We already have him.

Goodness - I remember he started out as a guy who looked like being a really decent player.

Anyone know why?

He seemed to be the 'next midfield star' a few years back for Geelong - now to be delisted.

Funny old game Footy.
Was never really fit enough or good enough.

Looked decent when the cats had other mids to the heavy lifting. Now that it’s his turn to step up he’s been found wanting.

He’s had some injury troubles but I’m not sure that’s really had much of an effect.

Does our offer trigger band one?
I don't think so. Saw an article today that it might need to go up maybe 100k/annum to trigger band one. Who knows with the AFL. Battle would probably be less conflicted about leaving the Saints if they received good compensation.

Anyone know why?

Funny old game Footy.
One paced, one dimensional. Less than 70% TOG across his career which just isn't up to the standard required of an inside mid.

If you have a tank as poor as he does you need to have a De Goey or Stringer level impact occasionally, and at 27 next year I reckon his race is run.

Both the deals that have been put before Battle sound extraordinarily good, arguably more than he’s truly worth. If I’m him, right now my brain is saying, ‘should I go to the new club who’s won 12 flags since my current club’s one and only flag?’

Before you shut him down as some Twitter nuff. Have a look through his tweets last trade period.

You need to understand that some Twitter trade pundits are just very active on BigFooty and repost reports they find here. Reckon you'd find BigFooty posts that pre-date pretty much all of his posts by a few hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back