Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Bombers v Blues Sun June 9th 7:20pm AEST (MCG)

AEST

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't really blame fatigue on the set shot misses that's mental above the shoulders stuff but the majority of your points were long bombs from outside 50 off the boundary line.

5 of your behinds were rushed you actually kicked 9.11 so you didn't kick that poorly just made bad decisions to go for goal when outside range instead of popping it up to 20m out.

I think set shots are effected by fatigue with fine motor skills dropping away, also range is significantly effected by fatigue.

We did have too many rushed, though a few of them could have been shepherd through if we had men on the line. We seem to not have much goal line representation as a tactic though. Don't know if it's due to work rate or strategy but a lot of focus (and improvement) seems to be maintaining shape behind the ball to prevent counter.

All in all I think we probably left 3 more goals on the table than you guys, which might not have got us the win but definitely would have led to the contest being up for grabs late.

Got the margin back to a couple goals and if it weren't for the missed opportunities you would've been smashed, what would you call that?

Enjoy the win but be careful not to get your heads a bit too big. ;)
You got it back to 3 goals for about 2mins and then we're out of the contest again by the time you got your hands on it again 😂

You kicked 9.11 fwiw don't let all the rushed behinds kid you into thinking you kicked poorly for goal

Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin

Carlton had McGovern and Hollands off for the last 15 minutes of the third quarter. Flooded back and absorbed pressure. There was clearly some rope a dope going on whilst Essendon had their run. Did the same against Port.

Yeah Carlton forced Essendon to kick points with that strategy….

Carlton were better because they created really high quality chances off turnover

I think that he might have been to the essendon off site injecting centre. He's delighted with a 5 goal loss when his team never actually looked like winning.
Of course! Substance induced shitposting.

Smashed you in the chances, but didn't take them. You got off luckily and it stains it a bit for you. I understand. Was not the statement you were hoping for. Onto the next fortnight. ;)

27 shots to 25. 25-21 scoring shots. Smashed? The quality of entries were entirely different as well.

You did smash us in free kicks so that sucks.

Well, this game went pretty much as I expected. Tipped us to win by 7-20. I've only felt that 1 or 2 of Essendon's wins have been good ones. Most have been against bottom sides and not by a lot. I feel they're better than last year and they've done well to make hay while the sun shines. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it up after the bye when they hit the harder part of their draw. They've set themselves up for finals and need to follow through now.

Blues have pretty much got the hardest part of their draw out of the way now. Played all of the top 10 teams. After the Cats game, things should get easier, but you never know this year. It's a very even comp where pretty much any team can beat anyone.

Hopefully we can get a rematch in finals where both sides are full strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You got it back to 3 goals

Under 3 goals*

And it wasn't just all the misses (the majority of which came after the comeback, not before), it was the obliteration in inside 50 entries.

Probably explains why this loss doesn't feel the same as the others. It was ours to take, and we didn't.

Good timing for the rest. Looking forward to both teams coming out in the second half of the season.

To be fair to the Dons

They miss Parish a lot imo and Draper, yes Blues missing players , but still.

They also dont give up, they haven't beaten much, but they also dont throw in the towel

Meh, we shouldn't be worried about this year. I'm more concerned that Reid isn't playing and building etc. A couple senior players missing like that give more responsibility to Durham and et al.

Looks like the club has another mid-year gem. Saad El-Hawli kicked 4 goals and 27 disposals, 8 marks and 3 clearances today was great. Nick Bryan had another dominant performance in the ruck. Caddy kicked 3 goals and took some marks. I want these guys to be playing firsts. Essendon is still another two pre-seasons/drafts/trade season away from being a real quality side. The parts are there, still need another big mid, a genuine dangerous forward and a tall defender.

Don’t see how Tsatas makes it. Can’t kick

Cox already playing reasonable footy and Reid rated highly but who knows if he ever gets fit.
Genuine question and not trying to stir. Surely Tsatsas could kick when drafted so highly. Had a couple of absolute shockers tonight. Is it confidence or injury induced or is that as good as it gets?

Essendon are a level below. They've played all the bottom teams. Collingwood and Carlton both have had a heap of injuries and played more difficult games to start the season.

It is difficult to separate Collingwood and Carlton though. Both teams at full strength, I wouldn't be able to pick a winner.
Maybe Carlton and Collingwood have another gear.

You got it back to 3 goals for about 2mins and then we're out of the contest again by the time you got your hands on it again 😂

You kicked 9.11 fwiw don't let all the rushed behinds kid you into thinking you kicked poorly for goal
Apparently they "dominated" something. Maybe at being behind at the end,

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Bombers v Blues Sun June 9th 7:20pm AEST (MCG)

Back