Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Leigh Matthews declare him a $1m man about a month ago?

Matthews is dangerously close to completely tarnishing his legacy as a footy guru with most of the stuff he says these days.
I that already happed a year ago

Brad Scott is not a winning coach, bad move by Bombers.

Not picking Heppell would have pissed off alot of Essendon supporters, who wont forgive him, if he doesn't succeed as their coach

No it didnt

Hep has played 2-3 years of farewell games and he was offered this game also, which he declined.

We are pissed off by having 36-18 inside 50s and having a 1 goal lead at half time. Not because heppel didn’t play

We completely dominated the first half and have shit to show for it, like every other god damn game this year. That’s what essendon supporters are pissed off about.

Any other team would have put Sydney in a coma with those first half stats. Problem is our fwdline is about as efficient as a boat made of paper

Last edited:

Stringer is the issue

I called this out years ago on here. They recruit guys that are seduced by glory. Individual glory and adulation of big crowds.

That's literally the reason why they're where they are

Stringer is the poster boy for this type of attitude.

Never seen a guy get so excited when he kicks a goal - but barely flinches when his teammates do.

It was a combination of a couple of things. What commentators won't mention is a large part of that difference in scoring is the willingness of Sydney players to back their skills and have a shot vs Essendon. Because Essendon were looking to give the extra couple of handballs and set up the unpresesured shot they cost themselves goals which means they don't have the margin they should have given their dominance around the ground at half time.

Sydney have a very good first ten minutes of the 3rd quarter with a couple of their senior players standing up and because Essendon haven't got the scoreboard dominance they should have those goals hurt more. Essendon are then forced into a situation where they try to stem momentum by playing keepings off but Sydney have their tails up and don't let it happen.

Look at how many senior Essendon players give a handball instead of having a shot and cost themselves a shot in the first half versus Sydney players willing to back themselves and have a shot from outside 40 in the second half. For example Parish in 5 metres of space 25m out directly in front takes 2 steps hesitates and panic handballs to a stationary teammate instead of having a shot. Elite midfielders in other teams that's going straight over the goal umpires hat.

Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense, because I've noticed Essendon has been like that in other games I've watched of theirs. Their only forward that seems to have the balls to attack is Langford. Stringer tries to do it by himself too much and it works for him sometimes, but he also stuffs up lot with clangers and kicks to no mans land. They do dominate General play a lot which is what I saw in the first half of this game. I actually thought they might run away with it in the second and was surprised they just stopped like a deer in headlights.

Good win for the Swans though. They know how to hang around in games they are down in and get back on top - This is a great team attribute to have, come tough finals games.

Brad Scott is not a winning coach, bad move by Bombers.

Not picking Heppell would have pissed off alot of Essendon supporters, who wont forgive him, if he doesn't succeed as their coach

I See it differently. They were still in calculations for finals before this game, so he has chosen the team that he thinks will get that job done. As we have witnessed, it did not go as planned.

In hindsight you could say, well they lost badly anyway. Why not play Heppell. However their plans would have been to win this game, and what would you be thinking if they did play Heppell and lost by a point because Heppell turned the ball over? WHY DID THEY PLAY HEPPELL!

No it didnt

Hep has played 2-3 years of farewell games and he was offered this game also, which he declined.

We are pissed off by having 36-18 inside 50s and having a 1 goal lead at half time. Not because heppel didn’t play

We completely dominated the first half and have shit to show for it, like every other god damn game this year. That’s what essendon supporters are pissed off about.

Any other team would have put Sydney in a coma with those first half stats. Problem is our fwdline is about as efficient as a boat made of paper
Was Sydney going to win the game with or without Heppel playing - I doubt that it would have been more than a small percentage difference. To not give him a home game, especially of having the Lions in Brisvegas the following week as a foregone conclusion in a tight competition. Essendon were cooked a few weeks ago and not giving Heppel a final game shows how shallow and piss-weak the board and coaching panel are.

You build a club, a tradition, a finals win, through respect and keeping the club, the fans and bums on seats. All in all, a Stinger Stinker of an evening.

Was Sydney going to win the game with or without Heppel playing - I doubt that it would have been more than a small percentage difference. To not give him a home game, especially of having the Lions in Brisvegas the following week as a foregone conclusion in a tight competition. Essendon were cooked a few weeks ago and not giving Heppel a final game shows how shallow and piss-weak the board and coaching panel are.

You build a club, a tradition, a finals win, through respect and keeping the club, the fans and bums on seats. All in all, a Stinger Stinker of an evening.

Heppell was offered the game. He declined. As outlined in the post you quoted.

Stop acting like we didn’t give it to him. It’s incorrect and misleading

it certainly was a stinker of an evening and season even, but not for the reasons your suggesting.

Last edited:
Heppell was offered the game. He declined.

Stop acting like we didn’t give it to him. It’s incorrect and misleading.
How was it offered? How was the lead up and how was the conversation? Seriously, the club has no spine and perhaps ANZAC Day is a Dardanelles bridge too far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was it offered? How was the lead up and how was the conversation? Seriously, the club has no spine and perhaps ANZAC Day is a Dardanelles bridge too far.

Hepps form has been dog shit the last 6-8 weeks. Was dropped and told he won’t be playing on.

He knows he didn’t deserve a spot and said he didn’t want to take the spot.

Was his call.

Again, not disagreeing with you generally, but your are wrong in regards to heppel

they got the win Sydney and by some margin in the end.
Yet plenty to work on for Sydney...
the foward line is dysfunctional and will be there down fall come September.

Caldwell and Martin have both had excellent seasons and are two of the bright spots even though it would be hard to see any positives at the moment.

Anecdotal and only observational, but i've watched a fair bit of Essendon this season for fantasy reasons and I think the midfield mix was far better earlier in the season when Parish and Shiel were unavailable. It's obviously not the only reason for the decline in performance but I think it's a factor, especially with the lack of two way run from Parish being quite noticeable tonight.

How’s 🦤 getting out virtually under the cover of darkness .
They’re recruiting deadset deplorable, with most of their first rounders the worst of the lot
That 2020 draft haul when they had 3 picks in the top10 is as bad as it gets in modern recruiting times

#8- Nik Cox
#9 - Archie Perkins
#10 - Zach Reid

That 2020 draft haul when they had 3 picks in the top10 is as bad as it gets in modern recruiting times

#8- Nik Cox
#9 - Archie Perkins
#10 - Zach Reid
Pretty crap draft overall to have topped up in. Geelong got lucky with Henry at 17 and Swans with their academy pick at 32, Gulden. Top 5 good, almost everything else afterwards pretty mediocre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Back