Changes For Round 19 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as we get players back it won't be enough not to get much wrong. Players like Mayne & Greenwood will need to influence the game rather than fill a spot and be safe. Elliott, Moore, Aish (to a lesser extent) improve the team, Mayne & Greenwood support the team to play at a certain level.

Elliott's inclusion is huge for us. Brings his own skill set but also allows DeGoey some extra minutes in the midfield while we wait for Treloar to hopefully get back.

Moore is a must inclusion as we need him to get as many games as he can playing together with the other defenders. We need another tall in defence.

I agree it is difficult but players that are a must for us and can improve us need to come in, even if players currently in the side are doing 'okay'. Fingers crossed regards injuries but there will be unlucky players from a group that includes Mayne, Greenwood, Murray, Daicos etc.
Yep, tend to agree with you

Interesting observing the evolution of players.

Not so long ago, Aish was seen by some as the great pretender.

Now touted as indispensable at selection.

Interesting that’s all.

Doubt Moore would play this week

There's no need to risk Moore.

Jack is their tallest forward and Howe should be able to handle himself just fine if he could handle himself against Brown.

We need Moore against Sydney and Port far more than we do against Richmond.

I'd be bringing in Elliott and Aish this week at the expense of Greenwood and Daicos or Mayne. Playing it safe with Elliott has proven time and time again to fail so just throw him in and see if his body holds up.

IN = Moore

OUT = Daicos

Bucks will not drop Mayne or Greenwood against the Tigers.

Interesting that’s all.
I think for many, the jury is still out regarding Aish.
You watch, everyone calling for Aish to be selected...then he is selected & has one bad game & they will turn on him just as quickly calling for his head...bring back Mayne they will call...
The fickled Football supporter.

Phillips gut running...big tank...in fast & furious finals campaign is a big plus for him.
Although, agree he must have an impact every week, with disposals, goal assists & hit scoreboard consistently.

I worry that he'll vanish in those fast and furious finals. He's currently earned himself more attention off the back of some really good form mid-season and his input has become inconsistent as a consequence. Can't see him being given more latitude in finals.

Interesting that’s all.
Are you suggesting some posters have changed their mind?..... Maybe some are having a "rest" while others previously "resting" are now busy posting?

I think as we get players back it won't be enough not to get much wrong. Players like Mayne & Greenwood will need to influence the game rather than fill a spot and be safe. Elliott, Moore, Aish (to a lesser extent) improve the team, Mayne & Greenwood support the team to play at a certain level.

Elliott's inclusion is huge for us. Brings his own skill set but also allows DeGoey some extra minutes in the midfield while we wait for Treloar to hopefully get back.

Moore is a must inclusion as we need him to get as many games as he can playing together with the other defenders. We need another tall in defence.

I agree it is difficult but players that are a must for us and can improve us need to come in, even if players currently in the side are doing 'okay'. Fingers crossed regards injuries but there will be unlucky players from a group that includes Mayne, Greenwood, Murray, Daicos etc.

Spot on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very much with Timmy with his thinking on Varcoe and believe we have better options available.

He'll produce a couple of flashy moments per game or an occasional strong tackle that gets people excited but if you take a look at his stats it's an indication of a player who has been in decline for quite sometime.

Varcoe simply doesn't hit the scoreboard enough for a forward for mine and when he does is to inaccurate.

He has a total of 3.6 from 11 games this season, kicked 2.1 goals from 8 games in 2017 and 6.13 from 17 games in 2016.

Even in his first season when he was lauded he still only managed 10.10 from 22 games.

This is miles off his highs of 31.13 and 31.17 for Geelong in 2010/11.

Even his much vaunted tackle pressure has declined from an average of 4.05 in 2015 to 2.64 now.

This has also been mirrored with a decline in average possession from 17.18 in 2015 to now 12.73.

It will be very difficult to not pull the trigger on Elliott.
Moore should come straight in.

Elliott and Aish leading into September would be awesome.

Them and Treloar.

Wonder if Goldy will be well enough by then to return in defense.

:rainbow:

Are you suggesting some posters have changed their mind?..... Maybe some are having a "rest" while others previously "resting" are now busy posting?
Indeed.

Watched the game again today.
I think his teammates need to better understand him as a player.
Mayne doesn't take the risky option. He is always looking for a player going past to dish it off to. Quite often that player isn't there. Teammates need to be more aware of this and provide that option. When they do he invariably finds them.

Yep, agree 100% with your point about him looking for the safe options.

But our game is based around quick ball movement, spread and taking our chances on the risky option when it’s available to open up the field of play. He needs to be able to do the same, particularly when there are teammates coming back who have that ability.

Personally I can’t wait until Elliot comes in. He can play further up the ground than people think and is so creative he won’t impede our other options like WHE and Stephenson. He will improve them.

There's no need to risk Moore.

Jack is their tallest forward and Howe should be able to handle himself just fine if he could handle himself against Brown.

We need Moore against Sydney and Port far more than we do against Richmond.

I'd be bringing in Elliott and Aish this week at the expense of Greenwood and Daicos or Mayne. Playing it safe with Elliott has proven time and time again to fail so just throw him in and see if his body holds up.

I agree with Howe on Reiwoldt, and l would also give more the extra week off. Dont agree with Elliott or Aish coming straight in after such long layoffs.
Elliott has hardly played any footy for the past 2 years, and Aish has been out since round 6. They will surely need more match time in the VFL.

Noticed a number of times on Saturday that Mayne knew he didn't have the leg speed to break away from a chasing opponent. He doubled back to avoid being tackled and moved the ball on sideways or even backwards. He didn't make any errors, but we lost the fast break momentum on a couple of occasions. Although he has generally been reliable since he has come into the side, I feel he is the one to go out when Aish is ready to go.
I saw the same but actually put it down to the fact he no one to kick to. It happened a few times on the Southern Stand wing/half forward area. I thought he showed good composure not to blaze away.

Either “out Varcoe in Billy” or “no change” for mine but probably the latter and give Billy another run in the magoos.

Wouldn’t be messing with that lineup that performed as well as they did on the weekend.

Murray was very 'meh' on the weekend but think he and Maynard have an important role to fill coming out of the backline. They're both long kicks that we'll need coming out of defense, provided they don't get sucked into doing what 90% of clubs do and bomb it to the top of the defensive 50 where Vlaustin and Short set up and kill you coming back the other way. Need to get the ball over their set up to contest and force a stoppage, or out to space for stevo/WHE etc to run onto.

Sam Murray has to be the first out of that squad! Whilst you can’t doubt his speed his brain can’t keep up with his legs 90% of the time, he’s a shocking decision maker. I was of the thinking Daics was due for a spell in the twos before last weeks call up but you can’t dump him after that performance

I don't see Elliott coming into the team until he is actually flying. It took him a solid 4 or so games to start playing well last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back