Changes For Round 19 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Agency is a legal part of the competition rules.
Players have a right to explore their options in advance...it can’t be all done in October, a week before Free Agency period kicks in.
Buddy was done a year before he departed...all kept quiet.
It’s the media frenzy that’s the problem...

Which was Dimma's point in his comments on Lynch. Dimma's comments on the Rance scenario were directed at the Bears for trying to poach him with a massive offer. Different discussions.

We could give him one more week to confirm the trend, I guess.

I hope he does go forward, except it would've been much better to see with Sier in the guts.

Always Happy for Sidey forward as he is capable of 2 or 3 goals, but do we have enough midfield depth without Sier and De Goey running through there? Personally, I think we need huge games from Pendles, Sidey, Grundy and Tay as our best 4 centre group to have any chance.

I'm really really really hoping the coaching group are intelligent enough to request the players go through Rance's man on Saturday.

Why you may ask? Given Rance will most likely beat whomever he is on 1 v 1? Well, if that man can separate Rance from being able to support his colleagues in defence, it might allow us an easier scoring avenue, particularly is the smalls play it smart.

Otherwise, Rance will simply leave his man to create 2 on 1s all day.

I'm really really really hoping the coaching group are intelligent enough to request the players go through Rance's man on Saturday.

Why you may ask? Given Rance will most likely beat whomever he is on 1 v 1? Well, if that man can separate Rance from being able to support his colleagues in defence, it might allow us an easier scoring avenue, particularly is the smalls play it smart.

Well, we would all hope we learnt a good lesson form the Weagles game.

Intelligent enough, you say?

I'm also hoping we are very smart in the territory battle vs Richmond.
I know we love to work openings via short kicks into corridor or short sharp handballs to release a player, however Richmond are the complete opposite.
They will bomb from a centre clearance and will almost always kick long and quickly any around the ground.
It's become instinctive in all their players when you watch them play. They all know the ball is going to go long every time so they will attempt to already start positioning players to outnumber the opposition at the drop of the ball.

If we attempt to over-possess the ball (and we are a high possession team), it could be to our detriment.
We will need to be alot more direct at times in our approach and pin them back and force them to defend rather than inviting unnecessary pressure by handballing around.

Different discussions though aren't they, one directed at a club trying to poach a key player, the other at a key player exploring options.

Rance was coming out of contract and eligible as an FA at the time (ie. back in 2015) so Brisbane were well within their rights to throw a big offer on the table.

In the end you can't really come out and scream blue bloody murder when another club sniffs around one of your potential free agents (and in the process of doing so demanding that anti-tampering rules be brought in so that clubs can't talk to opposition players mid-season) and then on the other hand both happily engage with a player and subsequently direct a back hander at a reporter who was agreeing with your previous position on the matter just because it now suits your club to take a more liberal view on the subject.

I reckon Rance will go to Mihocek. So Mihocek has to have a big game for us to be a chance,not necessarily kick a bag, but don't allow rance to impact the contest like he allowed McGovern to. Mihocek is actually very strong so I would back him in a 1v1 wrestle v Rance who I think is overrated 1 on 1

Rance was coming out of contract and eligible as an FA at the time (ie. back in 2015) so Brisbane were well within their rights to throw a big offer on the table.

In the end you can't really come out and scream blue bloody murder when another club sniffs around one of your potential free agents (and in the process of doing so demanding that anti-tampering rules be brought in so that clubs can't talk to opposition players mid-season) and then on the other hand both happily engage with a player and subsequently direct a back hander at a reporter who was agreeing with your previous position on the matter just because it now suits your club to take a more liberal view on the subject.

I'm not questioning the Bear's rights to make the offer, just highlighting that it's a different conversation. In one instance, Hardwick has a shot at another club for trying to poach one of their stars. In the other he has a go at some pretty ordinary media comment against a player, nothing to do with the process. Both refreshingly honest responses to specific questions and both reasonable in the circumstances. If you can't see the disparity then I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Rance will go to Mihocek. So Mihocek has to have a big game for us to be a chance,not necessarily kick a bag, but don't allow rance to impact the contest like he allowed McGovern to. Mihocek is actually very strong so I would back him in a 1v1 wrestle v Rance who I think is overrated 1 on 1

Can we bring in Trav Cloke for a bit of specific forward craft coaching? He went alright against Rance one-on-one if I recall correctly ;)

Rance is made to look much better than he is. If he was to be isolated one on one he would shit the bed

Last edited:
I disagree, Rance is made to look much better than he is. If he was to be isolated one on one he would shit the bed
especially if it was deep with Cox, but I doubt that will happen, I really think Vlastuin will wear Cox like a latex glove

He's just a biased campaigner. If it were Dusty he would be all '2 weeks for Martin and he'll be back'. Because its a pies player he's straight to the worst case scenario. He did source Dr Peter Larkins but unless he's got some inside knowledge, he's just guessing.
Love how the media have so nicely created Peter Larkins as this go to expert.

Straight off the bat, he is a doctor, knows his space.
But!
He doesn’t actually assess the injured player.
Often he is just viewing as we do from afar. So his medical knowledge absolutely would be fine, but the use of him is so he can use medical terms and be an expert. But he can’t diagnose a player without actually being with the player.
Another media tool they use. Create this stage.
A bit like they trot out a professor in a white coat for something.

Last edited:
Is this the first time Moore Brown and Daicos have played together?
No.
Last year all three were named on the same half forward line I think even in two games.
Was named like that for the nostalgia.

HF: Daicos ~ Moore ~ Brown

:)

Not expecting much tomorrow.
I will be happy with a spirited effort, show some heart and some dash and keep it under 5 goals.

As much as we are trolled on the main board and in various threads.
Take these players out of Richmond, trying to offer a similar player or influence on the game.

Martin/Cotchin - Treloar
Caddy/Lambert - DeGoey
Astbury/Grimes - Dunn
Castagna - Elliott
Grigg - Wells
Ellis - Aish

You can't tell me they would be sitting top of the ladder still.

Anyways, Top 4 is the goal and it can still be achieved regardless of this weeks result.

Beat Brisbane, Freo and one of Sydney/Port we will finish 4th and most likely setting up a week 1 final against the Tigers, could be a game for the ages if both sides are relatively fit.

Just quietly, for those going tomorrow.. 19 degrees and sunny.. what a glorious day to be at the G!

Not expecting much tomorrow.
I will be happy with a spirited effort, show some heart and some dash and keep it under 5 goals.

As much as we are trolled on the main board and in various threads.
Take these players out of Richmond, trying to offer a similar player or influence on the game.

Martin/Cotchin - Treloar
Caddy/Lambert - DeGoey
Astbury/Grimes - Dunn
Castagna - Elliott
Grigg - Wells
Ellis - Aish

You can't tell me they would be sitting top of the ladder still.

Anyways, Top 4 is the goal and it can still be achieved regardless of this weeks result.

Beat Brisbane, Freo and one of Sydney/Port we will finish 4th and most likely setting up a week 1 final against the Tigers, could be a game for the ages if both sides are relatively fit.

Just quietly, for those going tomorrow.. 19 degrees and sunny.. what a glorious day to be at the G!

Agree with all of that, except De Goey and Elliott are both genuine match winners and better than the comparisons you gave! But I know you’re just comparing roles.

Agree with all of that, except De Goey and Elliott are both genuine match winners and better than the comparisons you gave! But I know you’re just comparing roles.

Don't underrate Caddy, has kicked 34 goals this year.
Kicked a goal in all bar 1 game, slotted 4 against us last time.

DeGoey is more explosive but Caddy is a very effective fwd/mid and his numbers are are very similar to JD's.

Don't underrate Caddy, has kicked 34 goals this year.
Kicked a goal in all bar 1 game, slotted 4 against us last time.

DeGoey is more explosive but Caddy is a very effective fwd/mid and his numbers are are very similar to JD's.

Nah I agree, he is much improved this year. But I don't think he is on De Goey's level in terms of ability to turn a match. Very good player though, particularly this year in his adjusted role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back