Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t post that here! It goes completely against the boards popular belief that Strahan is trash and will never make it at the level.

We have a terrible habit of writing off anyone who isn’t an instant superstar on this board

I thought he competed well in his game last year. Played mostly up forward where he was trash, but did enjoy his effort when rucking. Especially when ball hit the deck.

Hence the reason for drafting or recruiting a YOUNG developing Ruckman - Ruck/Forward just like the Lions with Henry Smith, Port with Sam Hayes/Peter Ladhams, Melbourne with Luke Jackson, hell even the Kangas with Charlie Comben. We're rebuilding, plan for the future in all areas of the ground.
Totally agree ..... i’m hoping Thilthorpe stays as the key forward
We do need another developing ruckman though, as you say

Good ones though are not easy to come by

Just a thought, but maybe if he stood a kick behind the play fro ball-ups in our F50, rather than a completely ineffective 3 m from the contest, he might be in a position to take a mark?
You’ve noticed that too ? ..... yeah ROB has been caught out a lot in between contests.

What’s infuriated me was the # times he was wandering around between contests, seemingly devoid of any sense of urgency

You’ve noticed that too ? ..... yeah ROB has been caught out a lot in between contests.

What’s infuriated me was the # times he was wandering around between contests, seemingly devoid of any sense of urgency
That particular one, when Tex does the ruck work, seems to be a coaching directive as he's done it all season. It just seems so dumb!

would have thought he was from York Peninsular. I went to school with Newchurch's at Port Victoria, they were from Point Pearce community.
Port Augusta lad. Went to Port Augusta Secondary and played either for West or Central. I suspect he is related somehow to Willsden football legend Neville Newchurch.

That particular one, when Tex does the ruck work, seems to be a coaching directive as he's done it all season. It just seems so dumb!
You would think if Tex is Rucking I50, RoB would be just outside 50 as part of the defensive wall.

Ready to mark the ball if the ball cone out from an oppo kick.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Port Augusta lad. Went to Port Augusta Secondary and played either for West or Central. I suspect he is related somehow to Willsden football legend Neville Newchurch.
Some good people went to Port Augusta Secondary too and played footy on the school oval....and played junior/senior colts footy over the Road on Braddock Oval :)

Last edited:
You would think if Tex is Rucking I50, RoB would be just outside 50 as part of the defensive wall.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
From about U12's onwards this seems pretty standard. Maybe our coaches have outsmarted everyone else...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you, many are wondering about RoB (me too) who appears to be a shadow of his 2020 Club Champion self.
Something's wrong.
His No-Man's-Land positioning is enough evidence, but his tap work (not great to begin with), marking around the ground and general usefulness have fallen away dramatically. Unfortunately, his kicking is as it was, enough said.
Has he peaked out at 25 (unlikely)? Is he injured? Is there such a thing as Malcolm Blight Medal hangover?

I think he'd benefit from re-setting his ambitions/targets. I don't think it's gone to his head; more a case of "What do I do now/next?". That up to him and his Coaches to find out, but they need him playing much better for sure, asap.

This!
In situations like that he seems not to know what "a kick behind the play" is. It's as if his footy smarts have deserted him.

Like you, many are wondering about RoB (me too) who appears to be a shadow of his 2020 Club Champion self.
Something's wrong.
His No-Man's-Land positioning is enough evidence, but his tap work (not great to begin with), marking around the ground and general usefulness have fallen away dramatically. Unfortunately, his kicking is as it was, enough said.
Has he peaked out at 25 (unlikely)? Is he injured? Is there such a thing as Malcolm Blight Medal hangover?

I think he'd benefit from re-setting his ambitions/targets. I don't think it's gone to his head; more a case of "What do I do now/next?". That up to him and his Coaches to find out, but they need him playing much better for sure, asap.

Or is there something going on in his life to distract him. After all, a breakup, sick family member etc could impact form.

Right now, I don't think anything is genuinely worth worrying about with RoB. Very few players have avoided stretches where they've been below their best, and it's not like ROB has fallen off the face of the earth statistically.

Channel 7 reporting Chayce to come in a play in defence, ROC to play midfield, Fog to go forward in a 'more permanent role'.
All of which just seems like common sense with Jones playing well in defense recently in the SANFL, O'Connor doing well as a big bodied mid and without Tex, Fogarty goes more permanent full forward

All of which just seems like common sense with Jones playing well in defense recently in the SANFL, O'Connor doing well as a big bodied mid and without Tex, Fogarty goes more permanent full forward

Are we dropping a defender? From the looks it seems like 3 forwards out and none in? Maybe 1 if Frampton comes in. Jones, Hamill, Smith, Mackay, Brown, McPherson. How many Med/Small defenders do we need?

Are we dropping a defender? From the looks it seems like 3 forwards out and none in? Maybe 1 if Frampton comes in. Jones, Hamill, Smith, Mackay, Brown, McPherson. How many Med/Small defenders do we need?
I think its more about how do we replace McHenry and Murphy as pressure running players. If Jones comes in and it frees Hamill up to play wing and that then pushes one of the mids to half forward it may have to be that way as we are short on fast small forward half players ATM. I'd rather go in light on tall forwards than go in too top heavy over there for sure. But we have to play 2 tall defenders to match up on Kennedy and Darling..even then Oscar Allen looms large

Port had two good ones running around in the SANFL. Steal one
Port supporters upset Hayes not playing this week .....but would Ladhams be any improvement on what we already have ....seems more a FWD / RUCK

Yep... only question is.. which Ammos team is gonna want him?...

I’m hoping the Suns have some interest in him given he’s from there and they need depth in that department. I’ll take Will Brodie.

(Speaking of fringe Suns; whatever happened to Jez McLennan. They drafted him too 25 but he cannot get a game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back