Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

ROB has been poor for 5-6 weeks .....he's 10% off & lost that hunger, because he's now guaranteed a position each week .....he's not a superstar, and relies on that hunger and determination

last season he said his weapon was his marking ....this is the primary area of downfall this year, he's not going for marks with the same steely resolve .....the flowon affect for our runners is significant
Just wondering if the new rule change has affected his marking...i.e. with the man on the mark rule that means teams are quicker to move it on, and he's possibly not been able to get into the intercept slot, as he's not fast enough? A few of the dinosaur ruckmen may be in the same boat.

Just wondering if the new rule change has affected his marking...i.e. with the man on the mark rule that means teams are quicker to move it on, and he's possibly not been able to get into the intercept slot, as he's not fast enough? A few of the dinosaur ruckmen may be in the same boat.
Less ball-ups this year, so it has affected the better tap ruckman .....but it hasn't affected those Ruckman capable of taking marks around the ground

It maybe where ROB is trying to take marks, from my eye, more the up the line kick, around the wing .....so the 45 kick did affect the big guys in the early rounds ....but in recent rounds teams have become better at forcing teams to again kick the ball down the line

Interesting that Gawn has taken fewer CBA's ....but is taking more marks FWD and DEF , than around the middle of the ground ......so there's a little bit of gameplan, but IMO it's mostly just not enough competition for ROB's Ruck role

Less ball-ups this year, so it has affected the better tap ruckman .....but it hasn't affected those Ruckman capable of taking marks around the ground

It maybe where ROB is trying to take marks, from my eye, more the up the line kick, around the wing .....so the 45 kick did affect the big guys in the early rounds ....but in recent rounds teams have become better at forcing teams to again kick the ball down the line

Interesting that Gawn has taken fewer CBA's ....but is taking more marks FWD and DEF , than around the middle of the ground ......so there's a little bit of gameplan, but IMO it's mostly just not enough competition for ROB's Ruck role
Just a thought, but maybe if he stood a kick behind the play fro ball-ups in our F50, rather than a completely ineffective 3 m from the contest, he might be in a position to take a mark?

I don't think Strachan has a longterm future, but I wouldn't be against bringing him to put a rocket up O'Brien, whose performances have ranged from mediocre to woeful this season. Say what you will about the last few years of Jacobs' career, but he at least turned up for every Showdown. ROB may as well not have played last week, Lycett did as he pleased.

Given that Nic Nat will jump over whoever we pick in the ruck anyway, I'd even consider bringing in Billy who at least throws himself around and could impact the contest physically which O'Brien isn't doing at all.

We need to start looking at a young ruck, preferably a mobile one who can play the extra midfielder role that's becoming increasingly essential. Either that's this year in the mid-season draft, or we look at a Keeler or Verrall type in upcoming drafts (which will probably require a 1st round pick). O'Brien may get his mojo back, but either way the cupboard is pretty bare behind him.

Those guys are very much on the fringe - I get that they play different roles and that we have injuries in the front half, but we could quite easily reshuffle the side to put a different small in one of those forward of centre roles (eg Hamill, Brown or Smith, replacing them in the back half with Worrell) and see how that looks. Nothing to lose by trying that IMO.

In fairness, Rowe looked better against Port than he had for the month prior, and Berry is a tackling machine, so I don’t have a problem with them being in the side this week. I just think Worrell deserved a gig about 4-5 weeks ago and it’s getting silly now.
Rowe had no competition so he would have looked better. But yes he looked busier than usual

I do wonder if that's laziness when the other 2 are there or positioning

My point is Strachan is not there to be a good AFL Ruckman ......he's a "in case of emergency" player

How many excellent AFL Ruckman would be prepared to play 90% of games each year in the SANFL ? ......in this instance I thin we have a good backup ....this was not my POV last year, hence the praise for his improvement
Hence the reason for drafting or recruiting a YOUNG developing Ruckman - Ruck/Forward just like the Lions with Henry Smith, Port with Sam Hayes/Peter Ladhams, Melbourne with Luke Jackson, hell even the Kangas with Charlie Comben. We're rebuilding, plan for the future in all areas of the ground.

Rowe had no competition so he would have looked better. But yes he looked busier than usual

I do wonder if that's laziness when the other 2 are there or positioning

Rowe had no competition? What are you talking about? Are you insinuating that because 2 other small pressure forwards went out the game early that this made it easier for him to stand out?

Instead of thinking that because two similar players went out that he would have received extra attention from the opposition on that front?

Rowe had no competition? What are you talking about? Are you insinuating that because 2 other small pressure forwards went out the game early that this made it easier for him to stand out?

Instead of thinking that because two similar players went out that he would have received extra attention from the opposition on that front?
Come on Roo.

Yes I do think he worked harder because the other two were out.

I would have told the defenders to run off and create

That you think Rowe is elevated to a mythical status where he needs 3 defenders is funny

I don't think Strachan has a longterm future, but I wouldn't be against bringing him to put a rocket up O'Brien, whose performances have ranged from mediocre to woeful this season. Say what you will about the last few years of Jacobs' career, but he at least turned up for every Showdown. ROB may as well not have played last week, Lycett did as he pleased.

Given that Nic Nat will jump over whoever we pick in the ruck anyway, I'd even consider bringing in Billy who at least throws himself around and could impact the contest physically which O'Brien isn't doing at all.

We need to start looking at a young ruck, preferably a mobile one who can play the extra midfielder role that's becoming increasingly essential. Either that's this year in the mid-season draft, or we look at a Keeler or Verrall type in upcoming drafts (which will probably require a 1st round pick). O'Brien may get his mojo back, but either way the cupboard is pretty bare behind him.
Next year might pose a real hard choice for the club. Assuming another lower finish..bottom 6, do they go after a verrall or keeler with a high pick or are they trying to get in a rankine or another top end mid in the draft. A top young ruck would be great BUT i am not sure with where our list is at we can afford to spend such high draft capital when there are other more pressing needs

One thing we haven't had for a while is a midfielder (or midfield type) who can push forward for part of or all of the game and be a threat Inside 50. Either marking or ground level.

A few of our midfielders do spend time as half forwards but play it as pseudo-mids rather than as a genuine, dangerous forward

One thing we haven't had for a while is a midfielder (or midfield type) who can push forward for part of or all of the game and be a threat Inside 50. Either marking or ground level.

A few of our midfielders do spend time as half forwards but play it as pseudo-mids rather than as a genuine, dangerous forward
Absolutely. Missing that Isaac Heeney type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course that only works if your midfield have the ability to kick the ball to the mid-fwd. Heeney would struggle to impact a game up forward for us as every kick is a high hack to half forward where 4 talls and their opponents wait.

Hence the reason for drafting or recruiting a YOUNG developing Ruckman - Ruck/Forward just like the Lions with Henry Smith, Port with Sam Hayes/Peter Ladhams, Melbourne with Luke Jackson, hell even the Kangas with Charlie Comben. We're rebuilding, plan for the future in all areas of the ground.

Exactly how we did when we recruited ROB when Sauce was clear number one.

Of course that only works if your midfield have the ability to kick the ball to the mid-fwd. Heeney would struggle to impact a game up forward for us as every kick is a high hack to half forward where 4 talls and their opponents wait.

Heeney doesn't need the ball kicked to him: he's a great jumper and marker. He would go very well in our side, replacing McAdam. ;)

1970 should have a go at this one. After the good work telling Tex that he wouldn't be playing despite being very keen to, he then lets McAdam play just because he wants to go to WA, without the form he's been dropped to find! Extraordinary.

I love McAdam, but he's totally devoid of form or injured. Shouldn't come back in this week. I'd play an extra mid ahead of an out of form mid size forward. If Berg and Frampton play it'll be funny. Another coaching group that thinks they can out-height themselves to a win or loss mitigation. Totally ignorant of the pressure that forward structure puts on the defensive group.

I love McAdam, but he's totally devoid of form or injured. Shouldn't come back in this week. I'd play an extra mid ahead of an out of form mid size forward. If Berg and Frampton play it'll be funny. Another coaching group that thinks they can out-height themselves to a win or loss mitigation. Totally ignorant of the pressure that forward structure puts on the defensive group.
The irony being we will need defensive height this week, as we did last week.

Yet that is ignored.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We know McAdam is better than what he has shown recently

I reckon we've muted him by playing so tall as well as focussing too much ball Tex's way. Tex was in outstanding form, so it's somewhat understandable that we sent so much ball his way, but ultimately it's counterproductive to total team performance.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any issue at all with delisting players without ever selecting them at AFL level. It happens at every club, every year. Some kids just don't make it.

Please don't lie, and suggest that there was no link between the two statements. You were clearly using the second as an example of the first. The second makes no sense without the context of the first. You got shown up. Own it!

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You are so clearly wrong. You misinterpreted the (clear) statement, and now are doubling down. Just give up, you are looking like an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back