Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring in Strachan.

Leading the SANFL rucks for average hitouts, DT points (nearly 100 a game), disposals & disposal efficiency (79%).

You wouldn't know you've got a gem in the twos in Strachany and all I read on here from blokes wanting ROB dropped is for Himmelberg to ruck on the ones :drunk:
I agree Santoz.
ROB needs an REST

Any way you care to look at it, he needs to do a damn sight more than what he has in the past. Averaging less than 8 disposals, playing in the forward line, isn't going to cut the mustard. Whether it's 11 or 12-15, he has a lot of work to do to lift his work rate.

You were caught making things up and had absolutely no idea what a reasonable measure of performance was for a key forward, but we should absolutely place weight on your confident sounding trash presented as analysis now because its totally not significant whether the improvement required is 25% or 100% in forming assessments about future improvement?

What I think will happen:

Out of the 23:
Walker (managed), Murphy (inj), McHenry (inj), Thilthorpe (managed), McPherson

In to the 23:
O’Connor, Frampton, McAdam, Murray, Jones

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Hamill
C: Sholl - Keays - Seedsman
HF: Berry - Fogarty - Schoenberg
F: McAdam - Frampton - Rowe
R: O’Brien - Sloane - Laird
Int: O’Connor, Kelly, Himmelberg, Jones
Sub: Mackay
Emg: Worrell, McAsey, Hately, Strachan

Edit: For the record, I would pick Worrell over any of those 5 ins, and also over all of Kelly, Mackay, Berry, Rowe and Himmelberg but it just seems like they’re making up excuses to pick pretty much anyone else over him. Hoping he gets a gig next week.

Do you actually watch the SANFL?

You'd want to be dominating the SANFL rucks, the day he had 52 hit outs he was mostly up against 192cm Jack Hayes for WWT, Hamish Allan for Sturt, Angus Rana for West and Johno Marsh for Centrals...then when up against AFL quality rucks Peter Ladhams and Sam Hayes he struggled.
Admittedly, you're pretty hard on Strachan. He's no world beater but he's been better than the opposition nearly every week.

Out of the 23:

In to the 23:

Edit: For the record, I would pick Worrell over any of those 5 ins, and also over all of Kelly, Mackay, Berry, Rowe and Himmelberg but it just seems like they’re making up excuses to pick pretty much anyone else over him. Hoping he gets a gig next week.
Is ... is that our reserves team?

Bring in Strachan.

Leading the SANFL rucks for average hitouts, DT points (nearly 100 a game), disposals & disposal efficiency (79%).

You wouldn't know you've got a gem in the twos in Strachany and all I read on here from blokes wanting ROB dropped is for Himmelberg to ruck on the ones :drunk:
Strachan by any chance wouldn't be a mate of yours Sante ......campaigner :D

De Niro look yes.gif

Don’t post that here! It goes completely against the boards popular belief that Strahan is trash and will never make it at the level.

We have a terrible habit of writing off anyone who isn’t an instant superstar on this board
TBF ....Strachan has improved 100% this year ...his core strength to hold positioning in the contest is so much better .....he's a much better option than Hunter and other backup Ruckman we've had in the past

At 25 YO his best footy is still in front of him as a Ruckman ......just look at Tom Hickey's performance now at his 4th club

Do you actually watch the SANFL?

You'd want to be dominating the SANFL rucks, the day he had 52 hit outs he was mostly up against 192cm Jack Hayes for WWT, Hamish Allan for Sturt, Angus Rana for West and Johno Marsh for Centrals...then when up against AFL quality rucks Peter Ladhams and Sam Hayes he struggled.
Santoz watch's every Strachan game, trust me on that ......Tom Hickey has shown that you can make it at a later age

TBF ....Strachan has improved 100% this year ...his core strength to hold positioning in the contest is so much better .....he's a much better option than Hunter and other backup Ruckman we've had in the past

At 25 YO his best footy is still in front of him as a Ruckman ......just look at Tom Hickey's performance now at his 4th club

No arguments from me if we want to give him a couple of games.

ROB has been atrocious all season to the point where he was probably worst onfield in the showdown.

No arguments from me if we want to give him a couple of games.

ROB has been atrocious all season to the point where he was probably worst onfield in the showdown.
ROB has been poor for 5-6 weeks .....he's 10% off & lost that hunger, because he's now guaranteed a position each week .....he's not a superstar, and relies on that hunger and determination

last season he said his weapon was his marking ....this is the primary area of downfall this year, he's not going for marks with the same steely resolve .....the flowon affect for our runners is significant

Out of the 23:

In to the 23:

Well picking him in front of Berry or Rowe isnt a great idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well picking him in front of Berry or Rowe isnt a great idea.

Those guys are very much on the fringe - I get that they play different roles and that we have injuries in the front half, but we could quite easily reshuffle the side to put a different small in one of those forward of centre roles (eg Hamill, Brown or Smith, replacing them in the back half with Worrell) and see how that looks. Nothing to lose by trying that IMO.

In fairness, Rowe looked better against Port than he had for the month prior, and Berry is a tackling machine, so I don’t have a problem with them being in the side this week. I just think Worrell deserved a gig about 4-5 weeks ago and it’s getting silly now.

ROB has been poor for 5-6 weeks .....he's 10% off & lost that hunger, because he's now guaranteed a position each week .....he's not a superstar, and relies on that hunger and determination

last season he said his weapon was his marking ....this is the primary area of downfall this year, he's not going for marks with the same steely resolve .....the flowon affect for our runners is significant
I think ROB has lost the desperate follow up that made him an effective player.

The reality is that he isn't a great tap ruckman. He doesn't have good skills.
What made him effective was playing with absolute desperation and following up like a big bodied mid. When he doesn't do that, his value drops away significantly.

Santoz watch's every Strachan game, trust me on that ......Tom Hickey has shown that you can make it at a later age
And so have I, and Strachan is not the answer long term to our Ruck department.

The standard of the Rucks in the SANFL this year is awful, Michael Knoll the standout and Damon Freitag looks the only "young" prospect with a a rough chance of an AFL future to my eye. Strachan is almost 26 already, he's a good honest trier with reasonable athleticism but he is not an AFL lead Ruck either now or in the future. We keep bringing in mature age Rucks who aren't the future when we should be developing a youngster.

What made him effective was playing with absolute desperation and following up like a big bodied mid. When he doesn't do that, his value drops away significantly.
Spot on .....he's an average Ruckman in the mould of Ben McEvoy, who interestingly enough was probably a factor in St Kilda willingly trading him early in his career .....but McEvoy's value is after the Ruck Contest

Surely we can’t be rolling out a Forward line with Frampton, Berg, TT and Fog?
Maybe Thilthorpe has a week off after his knee scare?

Frampton, Berg & Fogarty plus McAdam in for Murphy/McHenry

And so have I, and Strachan is not the answer long term to our Ruck department.

The standard of the Rucks in the SANFL this year is awful, Michael Knoll the standout and Damon Freitag looks the only "young" prospect with a a rough chance of an AFL future to my eye. Strachan is almost 26 already, he's a good honest trier with reasonable athleticism but he is not an AFL lead Ruck either now or in the future. We keep bringing in mature age Rucks who aren't the future when we should be developing a youngster.
My point is Strachan is not there to be a good AFL Ruckman ......he's a "in case of emergency" player

How many excellent AFL Ruckman would be prepared to play 90% of games each year in the SANFL ? ......in this instance I thin we have a good backup ....this was not my POV last year, hence the praise for his improvement

Maybe Thilthorpe has a week off after his knee scare?

Frampton, Berg & Fogarty plus McAdam in for Murphy/McHenry
Then the logic would have been Thilthorpe not train .....but from pics, it appears he trained normally this week

He was a decent mark and that seems to have somewhat disappeared.

Bring in Strachan.

Strachan is trash. One of the worst players to ever be on our list.

1970 should have a go at this one. After the good work telling Tex that he wouldn't be playing despite being very keen to, he then lets McAdam play just because he wants to go to WA, without the form he's been dropped to find! Extraordinary.
Must be injured. McAdam will likely be injury sub this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back