List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we didnt retain Culley, would he be worth much in a trade? a 3rd rounder maybe?

I dont think hes a required player at this stage, and we would need to make a main list spot for him to keep him woudlnt we?
Do a quick forum search and see if any other supporter base is talking about him.

HUN giving an update on some trade targets they see being discussed

Tom Barrass Coast​

The Herald Sun reported in April the Dogs were one of his suitors, but it’s hard to see how he moves on. He wants to stay, he’s got a young family, he and his partner are well entrenched in Perth and he’s a premiership player. And he did this dance last year before making the strong decision that his future was in Perth. A club would need to offer a huge long-term deal and hand the Eagles overs to get him. It’s highly unlikely.

Liam Baker​

The word from the Baker camp is that he hasn’t officially made up his mind as he works through interest from the Eagles and Dockers. The Eagles haven’t officially lodged an offer. But if new Eagles list boss Matt Clark, who recruited Baker as the Tigers recruiting boss, hasn’t made a direct pitch to Baker then he isn’t trying. Baker met the Eagles this weekend. If he asks for a trade the Eagles are white-hot favourites compared to the Dockers

Tim English​

The Dogs don’t seem especially concerned by the concussions he has had, but from what we can ascertain have offered five years, but not more. He wants six to seven seasons at a million-dollars plus. To his credit he bounced back with an excellent two-goal, six-clearance game against Fremantle that was his best in many weeks. Finish the season in that style and he will force the Bulldogs hand, but right now West Coast aren’t interested and there isn’t another genuine suitor.

Ben Ainsworth​

He’s well-established at the Suns; has been very well-paid across his career as a former top-10 pick – and his management hasn’t been shopping him around hard so far. They are the reasons the Suns believe he wants to stay. He will get $600,000-$700,000 a year to stay and it’s a fair price for a free agent who only has 12 goals from 14 games. He has been linked to Essendon, but do they really want to pay him $800,000 to leave when they have Jade Gresham, Nic Martin and Archie Perkins who can fill a similar role – with Nate Caddy and Matt Guelfi also filling front-six roles.

Jedd Busslinger​

He is yet to sign a new deal and we are at round 15 of his second season, but the Dogs are confident the WA local is happy while living with Sam Darcy and he’s closing in on a debut. He uses the ball extremely well and he’s actually started flying for intercept marks with five of them and 14 intercept possessions against the Lions in his second-last VFL game. Perth-based clubs are sure to sniff around, but surely he signs a new two-year deal then assesses his options down the track.

Isaac Cumming​

The Suns are interested in the rebounding halfback, who is working his way back into form after hamstring and calf issues. Clearly Daniel Rioli would be more of a priority, but watch this space on Cumming if Rioli remains. His form was excellent in 2023 – 23.5 possessions, 75 per cent kicking efficiency, 537m gained. He’s no one’s idea of a high-profile player, but he might fit in perfectly if the Suns can get their man.

Denver Grainger-Barras​

Has put together some strong VFL form in the past few weeks as a defender after his early-season toe ligament surgery. He’s the No.6 pick of the 2020 draft, the Hawks would get very little for him in a trade and they genuinely believe he’s improved every year. So they will desperately try to keep him and ward off rivals who might believe he will relish a fresh start. But he’s out of contract and back in the Hawks pecking order.

There were others but only posting the details of trades I think would impact us

After Urquhart's last game I'm convinced.
Love his ball winning ability, his capacity to stand up to tackling pressure, decisiveness, creativity and long kicking.
We need to find a way to get within his draft range.
What would he be worth atm? Surely he must be rocketing up the draft boards.
I feel like he might be gone by our 2nd pick with all the academy & father son bids.
Kind of reminds me of connor blakley pre draft . Good ball winners in close but thumps it long at every opportunity

Strong game from Smillie after a slow start in the opening quarter. He was the dominant force at stoppage throughout the game, regularly creating clean extractions for his team and helping Metro gain control of the territory battle. He showed how dangerous he can be front of center, snagging a goal for himself and having a hand in creating a number of other scoring opportunities for his team.

Perhaps he wants a WC supporters viewpoint.
There are a lot of players nobody is talking about, doesnt mean they wouldnt pay a late pick for them
What is Culley at the moment? Or what does he project to be in the future?

A slow inside mid or slow third tall?

Is he a potential delisting candidate?

In a potentially deep draft, especially one where quite a few tall defenders should be available in the third round, teams are going to view those picks as valuable.

Typically when a fan base starts talking about players that don’t have a spot in their best 22, because of physical shortcomings, those players hold very, very little value at the trade table.

In a potentially deep draft, especially one where quite a few tall defenders should be available in the third round, teams are going to view those picks as valuable.

Typically when a fan base starts talking about players that don’t have a spot in their best 22, because of physical shortcomings, those players hold very, very little value at the trade table.
You could've posted that answer the first time.

He's worth persisting with for depth and future trade value. I don't think he makes it with us but there is a capable third tall forward in the making there.
Agree. Think he's worth developing into what is currently Cripps' role, and how Waterman used to play when he was the 4th Forward, up and down the ground. He had pretty good endurance beginning of last year before his knee. Think it worth persisting with. Not sure other than Long, who doesnt mark like Cripps, (and i think Petch should be able to, but consistently proves me wrong) could take on this role. Def still worth a list spot.

One of the depressing aspects of this season for me is seeing our recent first rounders floundering with the exception of Reid. Who knows if Hewitt will play regular AFL footy given his foot issues? Chesser is a straight up spud. Not great at anything and has glaring holes in his game where he gets an F with his defensive pressure/effective tackling and his ability to compete in the air and take an overhead mark. And we are now playing Ginbey as a tagger which is an admission of a blown pick. You don't use top 10 picks to draft taggers. And he is not even doing a decent job of that as Matthew Lloyd pointed out on AAA. He was tagging Merrett on the weekend and kept ignoring/violating the first rule of tagging - maintain body contact with your opponent at all times and keep them in front of you, don't give them 5 metres and let them get out of the back of you. We really needed to nail these picks and we clearly haven't. We need to get some future A graders under 23 on our list to take us forward and your first rounders are really the only chance to do that. That sets the rebuild back quite a bit IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do struggle for the rest of the year and apply for priority package then getting 2 extra rookie spots with the caveat that we can transfer 2 OOC players to those spots would be a massive help .
Harry Edwards and ?

I'm hoping we make a play for extra list spots as well. Considering North got given an extra 2 for no reason last year and the AFL made it impossible for us to join the reserves comp we really need as many rookie's as we can get. I like the old days where if you played a rookie more than a certain amount of games you had to either ice them for the rest of the year or upgrade them. WA teams should have this extra list depth to increase the competitiveness of the Beagles, but do a deal for that where there's a games trigger. Maybe that stops the east coast teams from winging we've got a bigger squad. Keep a list spot open each year and a nice incentive for the rookies to try break into the 22 and get a pay rise.

Also probably not a bad idea all round for the AFL to do something like a generic bottom 4 clubs get and extra 4 rookie spots in the next draft. Given the draft is already a complete rort that makes rebuilding difficult, this greatly increases the chances for non-destination clubs to find players and reduce incidences of having complete busts in a draft year outside of first round picks.

Mass
Billings
Jacob Koschitzke
Elijah Hollands
Sweet
Plus others from just last year fall into that category.

Agree. Think he's worth developing into what is currently Cripps' role, and how Waterman used to play when he was the 4th Forward, up and down the ground. He had pretty good endurance beginning of last year before his knee. Think it worth persisting with. Not sure other than Long, who doesnt mark like Cripps, (and i think Petch should be able to, but consistently proves me wrong) could take on this role. Def still worth a list spot.
I think hes just too slow for that role, and besides we have guys like Long, Brockman plus a rotating Hewett/Reid/Kelly who can do something resembling that role off half forward, who are all much more likely to be viable long term options. They also wont make us back into "land of the giants" like Culley would

Mass
Billings
Jacob Koschitzke
Elijah Hollands
Sweet
Plus others from just last year fall into that category.
I don’t believe so. Everyone of those players were being chased by another club. And there were rumours of those players being sought after by other clubs.

He’s much more similar to a Ben Keays situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back