List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that, he's going hard on it.

Made me think Baker is gone, plus Freo ramped up on him lately with Serong and Brayshaw meeting.

Just have to hope we don't split and use the other pick on him.
Going by the rumours about WCE meeting with players touted around pick 3, it seems unlikely.

Vic media spent the whole lead up to the draft last year pushing the Curtin narrative also.

Waterman for me. Some players have a PEAK year and then fall down the other side of the bell curve. I believe that's waterman. Selling him at his highest value point could net us a high first rounder or a low first and second rounder.

Our problem is controlling field position, and this is dependant on an elite midfield and a forward line that can hold the territory inside 50. When we do this well, we score. IMO, losing waterman won't change our capacity to to score.

Allen, JW, A reid must be played as a 3 prong unit next year. Darling can play in the Magoos as back up. We still have height in Maric, BW, Hutch, Culley. Smalls we are covered with Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, long, dewar, and Champion.

We needs mids and defenders (rotham, witherden, JJ, cole are done)

We have 3 23 and the 4/5/6th rounders. We need another couple of picks in the teens.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love the bloke, i'm proud of him and happy to see him get rewarded this year, but i absolutely agree.

Definitely worth cashing in on Waterman whilst he's in career form and value is somewhat 'inflated'. Unfortunately i don't really see him maintaining this output, he said on the Couch the other day he's only 192cm from memory and straight up undersized in the role he's in as second tall. He's also injury prone, truth be told. Risky with Allen.

If rumours are true and Melbourne are in the hunt for him, i'd absolutely look at that for the right price.

Otherwise sign him up and let the Snake show hopefully continue, happy with that too :snake:

He’s such a tit. Never seen another “journo” go fan boy for their childhood club like him. Absolute mouthpiece. WCE aren’t going to split pick 3 for ****ing Liam Baker. Absurd.
I think Gary Lyon takes the cake when it comes to bias for their own club. As soon as Melbourne comes up, he goes all teenage fan boy

Perhaps we should tank and get him before Essendon and North Melbourne do.
I think North finish 16th purely with that trip to Hobart. I don’t want to get into an argument about this with non-WA posters, but sending WA teams to Tassie to fill the slot against Hawks/Roos needs to end this season. Absolute bullshit fixture.

Gee, Ralph trying hard to push the Baker to WCE for pick 3 split angle because Bo Allen...

Lazy journalism. First, see where players from relevant state sit on mock drafts and what available out of contract players are that come from same state.

If club has picks - act disappointed and move to another non Victorian club. Before you leave, if the player is from big vic club, ensure largest pick possible is what will be given up.

If you don’t have picks - immediately organise office workshop and split everything. Only finish when end result matches in favour of vic club. Assign no value to any players that could be traded out (they are no good).

Outside of seeing the list on the poll in this thread, really cluless about footy in general the draft / trade next year. disregarding winning culture yadda yadda, is there a remarkable difference in having a top 3 or 4 pick vs a 1 or 2?
Suns at optus and maybe st kilda today seem like they could be wins, but wouldn't expect much vs north in tassie.
Can they screw us over for the 2nd year in a row by not winning?

I think North finish 16th purely with that trip to Hobart. I don’t want to get into an argument about this with non-WA posters, but sending WA teams to Tassie to fill the slot against Hawks/Roos needs to end this season. Absolute bullshit fixture.
Yep, it's absolute BS. From memory there isn't a direct flight so it's two flights for WA clubs. Joke, no team should ever have to take two flights for a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hough Edwards Cole
HB: Cumming Gov Duggo

C: Ginbey Yeo Kelly
Flynn Reid Warner

HF: Zurhaar Waterman Hewett
F: J Williams Allen Ryan

I/C: Maric Chesser Long Hall/Garcia
S: Brockman

E: Witho Cripps Bazzo Hutchinson Culley Petch Hunt

Reid, Warner and Hewett would be one hell of an attacking midfield. Guys like Ginbey, Duggo and Yeo rolling through would even up the balance with some defensive roles when required.

What is Warner worth? At least 2 first rounders? The recent Barass link has been the Dogs, but if the Sydney interest was revisited and we split our first, could Barass and a pick around 8 get it done?

I would be okay with giving pick 2/3 and Barass provided we had an end of R1 compo pick. Sydney has crazy mid depth but could still use a key back.

If we can get value for Barass then we need to back in Hedwards with Bazzo as back up. They are big and strong enough now but need games. Would’ve loved the option of Sam Taylor or Buss but oh well. Maric and Hutchinson seem to have the smarts and athleticism to potentially learn from Gov and become decent interceptor markers.

I hope Baker chooses Freo and they get distracted trying to land Bolton too so we can get Chad. If he stays and we can look again in a few years as a FA when we have improved then great.

We better not even consider Jack Graham.

Zurhaar would be great for us. Strong, aggressive and can do bursts through the midfield. Cumming would be a significant upgrade on the likes of Witho. Both as FA cost nothing in picks.

Fringe mids who dominate state league but can’t get senior games like Garcia, Dev Rob, Sheldrick and Erasmus are worth looking at.

Baz is from bayside VIC and St Kilda could show interest given they like playing two rucks to free up Marshall. Dee’s are the other obvious one with no back up for Max and poor tall forward stocks. JWill and Archer coming through offer enough as second rucks if Flynn is our no 1.

Culley could gather some interest from VIC as midfield depth if he finishes the year strongly.

If we keep our first pick then splitting would be ideal but sounds difficult given the evenness of the top end. Prior to this round Freo have 7, 10 and 14. GC have 8 and 9 which is where Sid Draper (SA) and Bo Allan (WA) fall on the current form guide. We would have to throw something else in to land those picks you would suspect…

What is Warner worth? At least 2 first rounders? The recent Barass link has been the Dogs, but if the Sydney interest was revisited and we split our first, could Barass and a pick around 8 get it done?

I would be okay with giving pick 2/3 and Barass provided we had an end of R1 compo pick. Sydney has crazy mid depth but could still use a key back.
I think paying a top 5 pick AND an elite KPD is huge overs for Warner.
A pick 6-10 and maybe a 2nd rounder is the most I'd pay

I'd skip him unless he really wants to come to us, and then I'd wait until next year when hes uncontracted.

Paying overs for Warner is not a good idea when we are trying to do a rebuild imo

I'd skip him unless he really wants to come to us, and then I'd wait until next year when hes uncontracted.

Paying overs for Warner is not a good idea when we are trying to do a rebuild imo
Agreed. Warner is worth our 2025 1R pick, which is likely to be pick 1-3 and absolutely nothing more. Happy for him to go to the purples if that’s knocked back or better yet re-sign with Sydney through to free agency.

Hmm it is an interesting one, I would have to agree and want something extra coming back (whether a pick or fringe player like Sheldrick).

If TB is valued as a late first we would essentially be giving 1 early first and 1 late first for Warner. We could ask for their first back which would basically be TB for pick 18 and Warner for pick 3 in isolation.

Gotta think in 3 years time when we are starting to look good, Warner will be a top mid hitting his prime and TB will be 31 with an already crook back.

I understand the want to keep loading up at the draft before TAS but 23 year old elite midfielders don’t choose to come back to WA very often. If he stays at Sydney we can try again later but would hate to lose him to Freo if we had a chance to land him. They can have Baker, Bolton etc

As much as possible we want to avoid giving up multiple picks for one player. Part of the downside of the Kelly trade was we gave up four picks for Kelly and one late pick coming back. It was the definition of putting all your eggs in one basket, which was understandable given we were in premiership mode but we’ve seen the long term cost of short term gain

Fremantle can afford to give up multiple picks for Warner, we can’t

As much as possible we want to avoid giving up multiple picks for one player. Part of the downside of the Kelly trade was we gave up four picks for Kelly and one late pick coming back. It was the definition of putting all your eggs in one basket, which was understandable given we were in premiership mode but we’ve seen the long term cost of short term gain

Fremantle can afford to give up multiple picks for Warner, we can’t
Kelly trade was yuck even at the time. Those first round picks were later because we were good but it was too much. We obviously had made a commitment to him after failing the previous year and Geelong made us pay.

If no multiple picks then what about pick 3 alone for Warner in an apparently even and deep draft? If we got a compo pick or one for TB to stay in the first round it would feel better.

Even some top 10 picks are speculative. Warner has showed he is a gun and should still improve at his age. Yes he has support in an elite team but if he goes to Freo he gets tagged every week. You can’t say that about the Eagles as long as Harley is around.

The Baker talk makes me nervous.
The worry is Eagles have always been determined to get the deal done no matter what the cost if a player chooses us.

Hoping with the new list manager we will have a bit more steel in our negotiations.
The only way I’d even consider splitting our pick is if we get their second back

Mega 4 way trade
Swans
Out:Warner,
In: pick 3, Dockers F1

Richmond
Out: Baker, P22
In: pick 12

Dockers
Out: P7, P12, F1
In: Warner, WC F3

Eagles
Out: 3, F3
In: P7, Baker, P22

We go to the draft with 7,22,23,59

Dockers probably need something else from somewhere. Maybe a f3 back from Swans but if they want Warner for a flag tilt they may have to pay up or risk competing against us next year with free agency and our salary space.

Agreed. Warner is worth our 2025 1R pick, which is likely to be pick 1-3 and absolutely nothing more. Happy for him to go to the purples if that’s knocked back or better yet re-sign with Sydney through to free agency.
We will have the capacity to trade FF picks. Stop worrying about warner next year. If he really wants to come we can trade our 2026 and 2027 F1 first to get him if we have to.

We should be seriously considering trading our 2025 F1 for a couple of mid first rounders this year.

If we can go into the draft with 3 8 15 23 that would huge.

Hawks 2004
Roughead
Buddy
Lewis

2015 blues
Weitering
Macay
Curnow

Suns
Lekosious
Rankin
King

Freo
Young
Serong
Henry

Amyss
Erasmis
Johnson

Don's 2019
Cox
Perkins
Reid

We will have the capacity to trade FF picks. Stop worrying about warner next year. If he really wants to come we can trade our 2026 and 2027 F1 first to get him if we have to.

We should be seriously considering trading our 2025 F1 for a couple of mid first rounders this year.

If we can go into the draft with 3 8 15 23 that would huge.

To be clear I don’t want Warner next year unless the cost is a single 1R pick, nor do I want to formulate a draft plan based on the hope that we get Warner. I’m absolutely for trading our F1 into this draft for GCS or Freo’s picks based on the ladder predictor:

WCE OUT: F1, F2
GCS OUT: 9, 10, F2 and Davies

3 way Freo and Melb trade
WCE
OUT: Pick 2, Waterman
IN: Pick 7,8,14, Knobel

MELB
OUT: Rivers
IN: Waterman

FREO
OUT: Pick 7,8,14, Knobel
IN: Pick 2, Rivers

Way overs and we should learn from the Kelly trade. Paying overs is not how to replenish an AFL list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back