List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

mock trades to generate as many picks as possible
BW for pick 39
Pick 2 for 8 and 9
Tom Cole for pick 37 and pick 66
Petch f3 for Garcia and pick 45.
Take picks 8, 9, 23, 37, 39, 45, and 59.
2 first rounder 2 2nds 2 3rds 1 4th
Unfortunately the gap between our first (whether it be 1, 2 or 3) and 7/8 just isn't that big this year. No way GC is giving us 7 and 8 - maybe with a future second or swap of future firsts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of our players used to be better .
Its because our midfield is totally dog shit our forwards can't get near it and our backs get slaughtered

You don’t lose ability, it’s the want and the will that changes. Look at Cripps today, totally not interested. Why is that?
What annoys me with our mids is they never lockdown. If you keep getting beaten out if the middle you need to lockdown and just go into defensive mode. Just make sure your opponent in the middle doesn’t get it. We never lockdown we just keep going through the same set ups and get smashed.

Thank f**k that the club was saved from its own stupidity at the draft last year.

Imagine finishing last this season having already traded away the first round pick.
I'd feel sick if we had curtin now and no pick 3. If gc or freo were crazy enough to take our f1 for 2 firsts this year that's a different story though

Thank f**k that the club was saved from its own stupidity at the draft last year.

Imagine finishing last this season having already traded away the first round pick.
I completely agree with you however Curtin was BoG last week for Adelaide and near BoG this week also, playing mid both times.

I doubt we'd have played him there however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would we have to do bid on him for say a pick 30?

Under current rules we’d need the equivalent of 432 points to match

The 4th round pick we hold (pick 59 on current ladder position) is worth 158 points.

So we’d need to either take a points deficit into next year or trade a future pick to get more points this year

The latest a pick could come for Champion that we could cover with our R4 is at pick 45

That assumes no changes to the bidding system as they aren’t expected to apply until 2025

Out of interest, anything to read into about Chad Warner’s intentions given Dean Cox has come out and said that he won’t be applying for the West Coast role?

Fair to say that our list has limited appeal to any prospective coaches.

I completely agree with you however Curtin was BoG last week for Adelaide and near BoG this week also, playing mid both times.

I doubt we'd have played him there however.
TBF, you'd have to see a bit of Curtin so we can make the call.

As it stands, I'd have liked to see a bit more of him at AFL level.
I'm still glad we didn't trade for him last year.

Gonna be a tough climb up the ladder severely hamstrung by the AFLs ineptitude and our own with soft cap reduction and the dilution of talent with another AFL team to come on board. Don’t envy pyke this will be the hardest rebuild we’ve done. Need to take advantage of the nga academy in the next 2/3 years to accelerate the rebuild and fix our god aweful wafl development

I'd feel sick if we had curtin now and no pick 3. If gc or freo were crazy enough to take our f1 for 2 firsts this year that's a different story though
So many ridiculous posters on this forum were calling for that trade also. The same old posters you see everyday. Curtin is not worth top 5 in any draft.

Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Hough
Maric
JWilliams
HEdwards

+ Obvs Allen & Snake but they're substantially older

That is our future that we need to build around. A LOT of holes to fill.

We'll probably get another couple of hits from others (listed below) who we haven't seen enough of, or there is uncertainty over. But either way we desperately need some more top 20 picks pronto, and to nail most of them.

Maybes....
  • Chesser - I'm more glass half empty than full, but not ready to put a line through him yet
  • Long - Has shown a bit but I feel good small forwards either need to be natural goalkickers (he is not) or quick & good defensively (he's not quick & therefore prob not great defensively). Has good footy smarts & goes welll when he gets his hands on it, but I fear that may not be enough
  • Bazzo - Maybe if he stays fit
  • 2023 draftees - AReid, Hall, Johnstone - obvs can't comment until they have the exposure
  • Hutchinson - Maybe but that is more being hopeful rather than having anything tangible to go on as yet
I think Ryan is the most logical choice to trade that might net us a good pick. TB maybe if the price is right. I think all the plebs ppl are floating for trade (Petch, Cole, BWilliams) will get us 2/5ths of fck all.

If the AFL aren't giving us PP this year when they've dished out to Norf the previous 2 years there's something wrong.

If we can land a Garcia for cheap that'd be great as I think he seems AFL standard & in the right age bracket

WISH LIST - which is pretty obvs
  • A take to the bank mid / either an accumulator (Smith maybe but Murphy & Langford potentially also qualify) or runner (draper) or someone who is a bit of one & bit of the other (FOS)
  • Run/carry & kicker off HB (x 2 in time)
  • ditto above but on wing
  • KPd
  • Pressure forward with nip & preferrably someone who can kick a snag
  • Ruck

Last edited:
Off-field I'm hoping for Carr as coach

Has a hard edge which I think is needed given a lot of the players seem to pick & choose when they put in effort. Hopefully he'd stamp out Harley's carry-on too. Just as long as he can do without getting players offside.

Also he was very highly rated tactically when at Freo. My old man know's JL's old man & said he was a big loss when went to Port.

But with Hinkley likely on his last legs, I feel he'll stay at Port.

It is ridiculous how long we hang onto players that are way way way below average.
Whats also ridiculous is the amount of below average players on this team getting extended run in the Best 22 when they were on the fringes at their previous clubs.

We need to be seriously questioning our standards at this footy club if our recruiting strategy is to sign guys like Jamaine Jones, Alex Witherden, Matt Flynn and Jayden Hunt, when they hardly got a game at their previous clubs, were delist material, or 2nd/3rd in line in their position.

Hell even our "prized recruit" Tim Kelly was a role player (yes a good one) at Geelong and he was sold to us as a superstar mid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back